• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Splatoon 2 tickrate is only 16Hz

I don't know ehat are you trying to imply here but there is more things thst mske a game feell smooth than just tick rate.
Well, i take the Splatoon 2 online with the bad tickrate over the BF4 online easy. I think that something is missing im this equation... IMO.

Atolm

Yeah well.

If you're used to play stuff like CSGO you'll rage at all the Phantom kills. It's very, very noticeable, but so it was in 1 playing with JP players. It's very apparent even when compared to other console shooters.

That's why I play Salmon run for the most part.

Madao

now i'm wondering if the folks at NCL actually know what is involved on making a game an "esport" or if this is just the western branches telling NCL that "esport" is simply having some tournaments with them as sponsors and having ranked modes to please the fans.

because it sure seems NCL doesn't know one part of the equation...

now i'm wondering if the folks at NCL actually know what is involved on making a game an "esport" or if this is just the western branches telling NCL that "esport" is simply having some tournaments with them as sponsors and having ranked modes to please the fans.

because it sure seems NCL doesn't know one part of the equation...
Are you serious??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Spinluck

No one noticed before but I can see this now being a GAF thing where suddenly people point it out as a huge issue. Like the Mario Kart 8 59fps thing on Wii U.

Same. Feels the same to me.

Eh.
It will to the overwhelming majority of people. The difference between 16Hz and 60Hz or whatever people are clamoring for is, in practice, never going to be more than ~40ms, and it's usually going to be imperceptible. There are a hell of a lot of other factors competing for a poor network experience. Tickrate is just one, but it's the one every "competitive" gamer seems to know nowadays.

Welp, guess my enjoyment of the game is ruined now!
/s

For real though, I wonder if this is why the game seems to use so little data when playing online. I think Wario64 played an hour or two of the first Testfire via tethering and only used like 1Gb of data.

It will to the overwhelming majority of people. The difference between 16Hz and 60Hz or whatever people are clamoring for is, in practice, never going to be more than ~40ms, and it's usually going to be imperceptible. There are a hell of a lot of other factors competing for a poor network experience. Tickrate is just one, but it's the one every "competitive" gamer seems to know nowadays.
Ook, this answered all my questions... Thanks. Lol.

Cynosure

what is mk8d's tickrate? that game's online was utter shit.
literally unplayable, i haven't played online since june

This does go a way to explaining why there's something a little off I've been feeling compared to the original that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

phanphare

Banned
yeah this is definitely troubling in regards to the competitive scene but thankfully the wired lan setup is likely how most tournaments will be played. online only tournaments will suffer though.

Ook, this answered all my questions... Thanks. Lol.
That's not to say that tickrate doesn't matter, because it does. It just doesn't matter as much as most people now think. And raising the tickrate from 16Hz to 120Hz (which would be a not inconsiderable cost on Nintendo's end) would not magically solve the problem of sometimes being shot behind walls or dying simultaneously.

That's not how it works.

The game literally can "forget" you shot with the Splatling as it fires too fast for the tickrate etc.

That's not a level playing field.

Ah, that's informative, thanks.

My only additional thought in "defense" of this is that, since the tickrate is actually lower than the first game's, Nintendo probably lowered it intentionally. As speculated in the earlier thread we had on this, perhaps it was to decrease connection errors. Now as you can probably tell, I'm not an extremely technical person, so I don't know if that would affect the other or not. However, I tend to give Nintendo more credit than some on this forum. I don't think they are incompetent. They know who buy their games, and the vast, VAST majority of Splatoon 2 buyers are going to want a stable connection over a higher tickrate (90% of buyers won't even know what a tickrate is). Even if a lower tickrate doesn't equal a more stable connection, they probably lowered it for a different reason. They are intelligent game makers. They didn't lower it for shits and giggles.

To be clear, it stinks it's so low and I wish it would be higher. However, some here are hoping Nintendo are going to patch the game and up the tickrate. I'm saying that this is probably an issue they've thought about before the game even launched and have already come down on. Actually I'm pretty sure that's the case since the tickrate was upped after the first testfire. I think they've conceded as much as they are willing to concede.

Vena

if this is the reason (which can be) you gonna ask why they even bother to have lan support for that thing or why they try to push game as esports.

I'd actually be curious to see if they don't patch disparate tick-rates between ad-hoc local and anything wifi related.

That ends up solving both problems.

I always love reports like this because it appears that no one knew until someone else told them.

Splatoon is a blast, and I couldn't even begin to tell you something feels wrong with the "tick rate" after playing over 10 hours of it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, it was in this OP as well.

This is literally nothing at all to do with tickrate. This is latency.

It's a shame the online gaming community has picked up on tickrate in the last few years, because it's continually getting conflated with other issues that have nothing to do with tickrate.

If I understand the terminology correctly, doesn't this by default adds up to something like 50ms of latency by default compared to other games of the genre, on top of the latency you're talking about.

That's not to say that tickrate doesn't matter, because it does. It just doesn't matter as much as most people now think. And raising the tickrate from 16Hz to 120Hz (which would be a not inconsiderable cost on Nintendo's end) would not magically solve the problem of sometimes being shot behind walls or dying simultaneously.
Yes, i know. Splatoon 2 is not the only game with the "being shot behind walls or dying simultaneously" problem because the low tickrate... And every online player here knows that. Also for competitive scenes LAN mode is the better option.

ITT: Many people not knowing what a tickrate is and why it is so important for the gameplay itself. I am shocked about that tickrate. It has to be one of the lowest tickrate in MP games which is a shame.
Many people don't know and don't care because they are having fun regardless of this. Gaf will make this out to be this huge issue, when half of the people that are complaining, are not playing it.

mindsale

A game full of baffling design decisions has a baffling tick rate?

Not to downplay how shitty that registry is. What was Overwatch's console debut tick rate before they increased it?

Burnburn

Okay so since there's 2 sentiments in this thread I'll just do both of them. There's the subjective and the objective narrative. I'll start with the objective narrative first.

1. Objectively this is worst, look at it at a vacuum and I just can't seem to wrap my head around why people are ok with this other than some dumb sentimental "boohoo I don't notice anything" bs. Why would you want a game where the lesser person in a 1v1 one situation gets rewarded. Why would you want a game where getting the drop on a person means less because the low tickrate gives the person in a disadvantage more time to react. Why would you be ok with a game that performs worse than it's predecessor?

2. Subjectively I do notice it. Oh wait first comes the stupid "I'm a high level player so my opinion matters more!!!!" argument. Hi, I'm Burnburn and I've played 1000+ hours of Splatoon 1, a lot of those hours in the highest ranks or competitive and around 60-70 in 2. I've also been part of one of the more successful Splatoon teams. I'll be condescending now and ask what rank or mode the "I don't notice anything" are/play. I haven't noticed the low tickrate in TW or low ranked either because the people playing it there just don't play fast enough or do any noteworthy stuff while playing the game. In high level whenever you're in a 1v1 you often die while you can see the opponent's bullets clearly next to you. Let's not even begin with the amount of time you get one shotted, bullets don't even show up, damage calculating is off or the game tries to make up for the shitty tickrate with prediction.

But you know what, this entire second point, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you think or feel about the performance. It doesn't matter what I think or feel about the performance. It's just he said she said bs. If you drop the subjectivity, read the article and drop the boohoo people are mean to switch narrative then maybe, maybe you can wrap your head around why a low tickrate is an issue that makes the game not as good as it could be.

Geg

Sad that the first thread about this didn't get this many replies, but it didn't have this kind of thread title so I guess it wouldn't attract certain kinds of posters

Why would you want a game where getting the drop on a person means less because the low tickrate gives the person in a disadvantage more time to react.

Wait isn't it the opposite in Splatoon 2's case? Getting the drop on someone means they have 0 time to react due to the game not updating quickly enough

Sness

Banned
Surprised but not surprised. I've played the game lots already, and it feels fine to me. Any minor issues I just assumed were because nearly all players were on wifi.

I play a lot of CS, and still didn't really notice a huge difference with Splatoon, but I'm also playing on much cheaper/lesser hardware/displays than when on PC.

That said, some people seem to be having issues with this and it should be improved if Nintendo is planning to charge for online.

Definitely noticed this in S+ ranks. This is not to say I wouldn't get owned as much as I do now sometimes, but getting one shotted by Dualies or sniped behind cover (like in the video in the op) really makes the game frustrating, as I cannot blame myself for these deaths.

literally? Damn, I wonder why there haven't been any articles on why online hasn't been playable for anyone! 🤔
According to some Gafers almost every Nintendo game is unplayable or a mess online... If you don't have any issue with AMRS, Splatoon 2 or MK8D you are an Fanboy... Plain and simple. Thanks God that the game doesn't have FPS issues.

andymcc

Banned
I figured this was an issue. I often notice a very real lag online transforming from squid to kid of if I'm using a roller, I release the roller and im still rolling.

Hard-wired to boot.

How is this a non issue?

I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just - again - a stupid design decision by the devs to lower the tickrate to such a low number and allow phantomkills, not registered shots etc. to exist

This also leads to all the double-kills between two duelists
I totally get the sentiment, and it should be higher, but almost everyone who plays doesn't give a shit and doesn't even understand it.

Burnburn

Sad that the first thread about this didn't get this many replies, but it didn't have this kind of thread title so I guess it wouldn't attract certain kinds of posters

It's a shame since that thread is more in depth and actually promotes objective discussion

Wait isn't it the opposite in Splatoon 2's case? Getting the drop on someone means they have 0 time to react due to the game not updating quickly enough

You're right about that, but often I don't finish my food fast enough giving them time to turn around and kill me lol.

Yukinari

According to some Gafers almost every Nintendo game is unplayable or a mess online... If you don't have any issue with AMRS, Splatoon 2 or MK8D you are an Fanboy... Plain and simple. Thanks God that the game doesn't have FPS issues.

The crazy part is that MK runs worse than it did on Wii U even with the patch.

Everything takes longer and stuff like track selection just hangs for ages.

Geg

I totally get the sentiment, and it should be higher, but almost everyone who plays doesn't give a shit and doesn't even understand it.

I mean I guess this sentiment is true in the broad sense in that yeah the majority of people playing aren't going to notice this kind of thing in any game, let alone a game aimed at younger audiences, but the people who played a ton of the first Splatoon on a high or competitive level definitely care and notice, and the people who want Splatoon 2 to have a long life and be the best game it can be care and notice.

shandy706

Okay so since there's 2 sentiments in this thread I'll just do both of them. There's the subjective and the objective narrative. I'll start with the objective narrative first.

1. Objectively this is worst, look at it at a vacuum and I just can't seem to wrap my head around why people are ok with this other than some dumb sentimental "boohoo I don't notice anything" bs. Why would you want a game where the lesser person in a 1v1 one situation gets rewarded. Why would you want a game where getting the drop on a person means less because the low tickrate gives the person in a disadvantage more time to react. Why would you be ok with a game that performs worse than it's predecessor?

2. Subjectively I do notice it. Oh wait first comes the stupid "I'm a high level player so my opinion matters more!!!!" argument. Hi, I'm Burnburn and I've played 1000+ hours of Splatoon 1, a lot of those hours in the highest ranks or competitive and around 60-70 in 2. I've also been part of one of the more successful Splatoon teams. I'll be condescending now and ask what rank or mode the "I don't notice anything" are/play. I haven't noticed the low tickrate in TW or low ranked either because the people playing it there just don't play fast enough or do any noteworthy stuff while playing the game. In high level whenever you're in a 1v1 you often die while you can see the opponent's bullets clearly next to you. Let's not even begin with the amount of time you get one shotted, bullets don't even show up, damage calculating is off or the game tries to make up for the shitty tickrate with prediction.

But you know what, this entire second point, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you think or feel about the performance. It doesn't matter what I think or feel about the performance. It's just he said she said bs. If you drop the subjectivity, read the article and drop the boohoo people are mean to switch narrative then maybe, maybe you can wrap your head around why a low tickrate is an issue that makes the game not as good as it could be.

tenor.gif

Mendrox

Many people don't know and don't care because they are having fun regardless of this. Gaf will make this out to be this huge issue, when half of the people that are complaining, are not playing it.

There are people that notice that shit though and Splatoon 2 is supposed to be a comp game. This is not for a comp game and more people will notice then. It also just hampers fun, but it seems like you are also someone who just doesn't care about this. Nintendo is just cheap.

Did anyone defend Blizzard's decision for a low tick rate?

No and as soon as people saw why they died like this or this and saw the low tickrate in Overwatch...it didn't take Blizzard long to upgrade the tickrates.

People should read this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413789

Top Bottom