• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Splatoon 2 tickrate is only 16Hz

deoee

According to an in depth analysis by Oliver Brammer: https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/
The game uses a rate of 16Hz which is disturbing.

Splatoon 2's online experience is considerably worse than the original game in quite a number of categories. The game runs 30% slower than Splatoon 1, meaning the metagame is going to be heavily skewed to favour high damage, low time-to-kill weapons. Adding to that, players have been drawn into the title by bold claims that later have proven to be absolute nonsense. Good online multiplayer networking plays a much larger role in enticing people to play at a competitive level. If Nintendo are dead set on making Splatoon 2 a competitive title, then they should focus their efforts to make dedicated servers possible in 2018. Dedicated servers would also bolster security and anti-cheat measures. Cheating online became a very big issue for the original game, so they would be doing themselves a huge favor.

The content in this new game is refreshing. By improving the networking, it would make this game truly something to get excited about. Until then, I'm going to be playing casually. Salmon Run, here we come.

chart-1-1.png

Basically this is what a bad tickrate can cause:

https://twitter.com/Artless_AA/status/891281195459166208

Matches are still fun and all but I had quite a few deaths where I was clearly shooting first / hit more times or was behind a corner.
It can also lead to funky situations with fast firing weapons because the game literally can't keep up with all the shots fired.
If this wants to be a huge esports IMO Nintendo has to up the rate to at least 30Hz.

And they expect us to pay $20 a year for these kinds of servers, an online infrastructure where people can't preload titles, download the game they bought on launch day and have to use a phone app for basic online functionality?

Cue the "not a problem plays good for me/I haven't noticed" posts in 5....4....3.....2....Edit: too late

Edit: Tickrate visualized
image1480692033.jpg

Seik

Banned
Never noticed it while playing so i don't mind it.

In fact, I was having a lot more connection problems (with the same internet) with S1 than S2, with which I'm having an almost perfect experience so far. I think I was disconnected 3 times with more than 20 hours of gameplay.

Didn't notice delays but I'll keep an eye open.

Kudo

I'd assume this is because of the handheld might not be always able to get such a good signal?
I'm hoping they can increase this to at least 30, I've had few instances were I got phantom killed.

deoee

In fact, I was having a lot more connection problems (with the same internet) with S1 than S2, with which I'm having an almost perfect experience so far. I think I was disconnected 3 times with more than 20 hours of gameplay.

The issue at hand has nothing to do with connection quality etc.

It's about how fast the client -- server updates your positions, the shots fired etc.

Okay thanks!

Rncewind

Game plays perfectly fine, lol.

?I am afraid your rash attempt to defense force flew over my head, did i mention the game is unplayable? everyone who plays online shooter knows how important higher tick rates are important, because of registering shots and movements, this was also a topic when overwatch was launched, to ease your soul

edit:

This is not what tickrate does

The Boat

Splatoon 2 runs better than 1 for me. Haven't had a single disconnect and didn't notice any lag so far, or any problems due to tick rate.
Edit: Doesn't mean the problems aren't there.

Does Splatoon 2 still have the 1MB/s upload speed requirement that was introduced in the Splatoon 1 version 2.00 patch?

Before patch 2.0 you could play Splatoon 1 online with an internet connection with upload speeds below 1MB/s, but if you used weapons which sprayed a lot of ink (lots of seekers, sprinklers) you'd run into lag or be disconnected as the game couldn't keep up. After version 2.0's patch players with slow upload speeds would be disconnected after 30 seconds with an "unstable connection" message.

The game runs 30% slower? I didn't know. How is that?

Using the respective tickrates of Splatoon 2 and 1 from the chart, 16/25= 0.64, so a little under two thirds.

I'm curious why Nintendo would lower it though. Is it less demanding on wi-fi or something?

deoee

Non-issue of the day!

How is this a non issue?

I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just - again - a stupid design decision by the devs to lower the tickrate to such a low number and allow phantomkills, not registered shots etc. to exist

This also leads to all the double-kills between two duelists

Syf

Banned
This isn't a non-issue for a shooter with competitive aspirations. Hopefully they provide a fix.

How is this a non issue?

I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just - again - a stupid design decision by the devs to lower the tickrate to such a low number and allow phantomkills, not registered shots etc. to exist

Yep. I've definitely noticed these things here and there.

NSESN

How is this a non issue?

I have seen almost no complains about these. I have seen much more people complaining about the lobby.

Amneisac

I have seen almost no complains about these.

The article was very respectful and didn't trash the game. He actually said he enjoyed it but this would make it better.

You may not notice it, but why not just let people help you out and try to make your game better?

How is this a non issue?

This also leads to all the double-kills between two duelists

Hahahaha

i think that's one of the problems nintendo will always have, especially with the switch.
they want the game to be playable by everyone. doesn't matter if they have shoddy wifi or slow connections yet core gamers want high tick rates. they always have to find some kind of middleground.

Rncewind

Guess I imagined those 30+ hours I've played the game online without issue then.

Get a grip.

so i didnt, thank you for correcting yourself by silence.

Also im pretty convinced that the tickrate of a game dont change because of your playing hours, nor i did claim you didnt play the game for you to make such a claim in the first place.

You seem confused

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
so i didnt, thank you for correcting yourself by silence.

Also im pretty convinced that the tickrate of a game dont change because of your playing hours, nor i did claim you didnt play the game for you to make such a claim in the first place.

You seem confused

Is your brain broken?

You know what the word unplayable means, right? The game isn't broken by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit - I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm aware it is for the 1% of high level players. For me, someone who plays the game casually for fun, it's definitely not "unplayable".

Amneisac

No one is saying it's a bad game, this also isn't the first game to use a low tick rate. In EVERY other case where people complained and it was raised the game plays better. Guys, I get you might not think you notice, but it's physics. It's there. No one is attackimg your game, they're trying to help. You deserve a higher tick rate. Don't cheat yourself!

Is your brain broken?

You know what the word unplayable means, right? The game isn't broken by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit - I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm aware it is for the 1% of high level players. For me, someone who plays the game casually for fun, it's definitely not "unplayable".

I think the confusion started when he said "did I mention the game is broken?" - that reads like he's saying it is broken, but I think he was saying "I didn't say the game was broken".

Piccoro

And they expect us to pay $20 a year for these kinds of servers, an online infrastructure where people can't preload titles, download the game they bought on launch day and have to use a phone app for basic online functionality?

Cue the "not a problem plays good for me/I haven't noticed" posts in 5....4....3.....2....

The 1st post above yours already beat you to the punch!

And I didn't know that the game was 30% slower then S1. Why is that?

NSESN

Can they up tick-rates for only some modes? I think it is the better way to improve higher level play without screwing up other people.

No one is saying it's a bad game, this also isn't the first game to use a low tick rate. In EVERY other case where people complained and it was raised the game plays better. Guys, I get you might not think you notice, but it's physics. It's there. No one is attackimg your game, they're trying to help. You deserve a higher tick rate. Don't cheat yourself!

Clearly, but calling something like this "disturbing." is hilarious :D

seady

It seems everywhere is using spec sheet and raw data to attack the Switch. Does it matter if 98% of players don't even notice it?

DrWong

Is your brain broken?

And nobody said it"s broken boy. It's a server refresh/update rate issue. Not a problem for new players, casual players but something any S/S+ veteran should notice.

Rncewind

Is your brain broken?

It seems like you dont read, you were one to claim that its "perfectly playable" where i responded where i did say its unplayble? So maybe you should seek a neorologist

Also it still to do nothing witrh the 1 %. Like i said this was also a discussion of topic, on this very forum, when it launched

Amneisac

It seems everywhere is using spec sheet and raw data to attack the Switch. Does it matter if 98% of players don't even notice it?

It's only an "attack" if you're overly defensive. This isn't the first game this has happened to, hell it happened to Overwatch. Don't take it personally.

Also, from the article:

If Nintendo are dead set on making Splatoon 2 a competitive title, then they should focus their efforts to make dedicated servers possible in 2018. Dedicated servers would also bolster security and anti-cheat measures. Cheating online became a very big issue for the original game, so they would be doing themselves a huge favor.

So yeah the article is saying if they're serious about making it a competitive game to be played at high levels they need to fix it.

Top Bottom