• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Splatoon 2 tickrate is only 16Hz

Bluth54

I know Battlefield 1 is 60Hz, what about other shooters?

I made this list in the thread I made about the Testfire (which was only 12.5 Hz):

Splatoon 1: 25Hz
Overwatch: Increased from 20Hz to 63Hz
CSGO: 64 Hz
Team Fortress 2: 66 Hz
Battlefield One: Increased from 30 Hz to 45 Hz
Rainbow Six Seige: Increased from 30 Hz to 60 Hz

agc

Does Splatoon 2 still have the 1MB/s upload speed requirement that was introduced in the Splatoon 1 version 2.00 patch?

Before patch 2.0 you could play Splatoon 1 online with an internet connection with upload speeds below 1MB/s, but if you used weapons which sprayed a lot of ink (lots of seekers, sprinklers) you'd run into lag or be disconnected as the game couldn't keep up. After version 2.0's patch players with slow upload speeds would be disconnected after 30 seconds with an "unstable connection" message.

Yea, patch 2.0 made Splatoon 1 unplayable for me as where I live I can't get that fast of a connection. Was really disappointing.

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
It seems like you dont read, you were one to claim that its "perfectly playable" where i responded where i did say its unplayble?

I'll hold my hands up and say I read the sentence wrong whilst browsing at work instead of working. You didn't say it was unplayable, and I apologise for that.

Bluth54

It seems everywhere is using spec sheet and raw data to attack the Switch. Does it matter if 98% of players don't even notice it?

A higher tick rate is objectively better since the game world is more accurate in a multiplayer game with a higher tick rate. I'm not sure why Nintendo fans are defending this.

Rncewind

I made this list in the thread I made about the Testfire (which was only 12.5 Hz):

Splatoon 1: 25Hz
Overwatch: Increased from 20Hz to 63Hz
CSGO: 64 Hz
Team Fortress 2: 66 Hz
Battlefield One: Increased from 30 Hz to 45 Hz
Rainbow Six Seige: Increased from 30 Hz to 60 Hz

still mindbogglin to me how overwatch launch like this, like with nintendo you at least can expect some screw ups with their online history

I'll hold my hands up and say I read the sentence wrong whilst browsing at work instead of working. You didn't say it was unplayable, and I apologise for that.

no harm done

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
I think the confusion started when he said "did I mention the game is broken?" - that reads like he's saying it is broken, but I think he was saying "I didn't say the game was broken".

Yep, this is exactly what I did. Pro tip - don't try to multitask and skim read whilst at work! *blushes*

nynt9

I have seen almost no complains about these. I have seen much more people complaining about the lobby.

The effect of low tickrate is not something that is immediately perceptible and it is usually noticed when kill cams or spectation exists. Without a reference frame you might feel like you just outplayed someone or you got outplayed, but some of those are actually due to low tickrate. It is very important for skill based games and low tickrate is very harmful to competition.

16hz is ridiculously low, never heard of a game being this low.

DrWong

I don't know if it's something doable but maybe Nintendo could create a pro mode with higher tickrate for people with strong enough connection.

Yukinari

Non-issue of the day!

ITT people who dont play games

Everyone keeps saying they "dont notice it" but chances are you do and you just arent questioning it.

The moments where you kill a guy and the kill doesnt register until a second or two later is an example.

I for one have definitely noticed several instances in game where I seem to die when I wasn't hit enough or had the advantage or was behind a wall.

NSESN

The effect of low tickrate is not something that is immediately perceptible and it is usually noticed when kill cams or spectation exists. Without a reference frame you might feel like you just outplayed someone or you got outplayed, but some of those are actually due to low tickrate. It is very important for skill based games and low tickrate is very harmful to competition.

16hz is ridiculously low, never heard of a game being this low.
That's why I asked if they can improve the tick rate only for the competitive modes.

cireza

Banned
The first game was only 25Hz ? Now I understand some of the few strange things that happened when playing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
we all acting like it doesn't matter now? yet people would constantly complain about it in games like battlefield?

Zafir

Yeah there was a thread about this before.

It's not ideal, playable, but not good for competition. It creates issues where you get shot at places you were previously and stuff. It explains one or two of my deaths.

I get they tried to help with disconnections, but, it hasn't really helped that much. People still seem to be leaving mid-match sometimes. (Maybe some are rage quits, but I don't imagine all)

Bluth54

That's why I asked if they can improve the tick rate only for the competitive modes.

It's probably possible to increase tick rates. It was slightly lower in the test fire (12.5 Hz). Some games do have game logic tied to the tick rate (as a big Team Fortress 2 fan I can tell you that the game has to have a tick rate of 66 Hz, it has problems with higher tick rates),

deoee

It's not ideal, playable, but not good for competition. It creates issues where you get shot at places you were previously and stuff. It explains one or two of my deaths.

I get they tried to help with disconnections, but, it hasn't really helped that much. People still seem to be leaving mid-match sometimes. (Maybe some are rage quits, but I don't imagine all)

Yeah I also noticed the leavers.

That's really infuriating as it happens in ~50% of the matches since yesterday.

-shadow-

They bumped it on the original game with patch 2.0.0, so it's entirely possible that they'll do it eventually for this game as well. Though the portable mode has me worried.

It's mainly AFK people, at least for me. There's a lot more of them in this game for some reason.

Pretty much every game I have at least one noticeable instance of bullshit due to low tick rate. It's so bad that I just gave up expecting precise gameplay entirely which is pretty sad.

Sayad

Is your brain broken?

You know what the word unplayable means, right? The game isn't broken by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit - I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm aware it is for the 1% of high level players. For me, someone who plays the game casually for fun, it's definitely not "unplayable".
Lmao, dude, he didn't say the game is unplayable!!!

Madao

hmm, i did notice this since i got killed sometimes by things i thought i had evaded.

how does this stack against other online games on Wii u and Switch such as MK8, SSB4, ARMS, etc.?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Is your brain broken?

You know what the word unplayable means, right? The game isn't broken by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit - I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm aware it is for the 1% of high level players. For me, someone who plays the game casually for fun, it's definitely not "unplayable".

what kind of behaviour it that o_O?!

and no, it's not only problem for the 1%er. in 50 hours of splatoon 2, it might only have happened to me around 10 times...but that's 10 times too often imho.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Pretty much every game I have at least one noticeable instance of bullshit due to low tick rate. It's so bad that I just gave up expecting precise gameplay entirely which is pretty sad.
It's sad how as technology advanced games went away from high frame rates and high tick rates in favor for better visuals and ... 🤔

They probably have to take into consideration all the people playing the game in portable mode with less than ideal internet. Much less, the fact that the Switch doesn't allow you to plug in an ethernet cable.

nOoblet16

Just because you guys don't notice it doesn't mean it's not happening and affecting your game.

Low tickrate isn't something that only affects 1% of the player or something like that. Factually speaking, a 16hz tick rate is awfully low for a shooter.

groansey

It's not ideal. It should be higher. Not that most people would notice, so that's fine. If they don't change it, people will still play this game and enjoy the hell out of it for the next few years.

It matters more to me in R6 Siege.

As a seperate point, devs catering to high-end e-sport crowd at the sacrifice of the more casual players can be a bigger problem than a technical issue such as low tick-rate. See: Streetfighter V.

Jazzem

Some weird anti-critique sentiment in this thread :/

I'm adoring the game but have noticed issues that would pertain to this, certainly kills registering a couple of seconds later as mentioned in the thread. There's also been times when I should've had a kill but didn't, and I'd bet that's been the case for others who shot me enough times on their end.

It's one of my favourite games ever and I'll continue to play the hell out of it, but I'd like this to be improved. You can be critical of the things you love folks

cireza

Banned
That's why I suck at this game!!
Actually, you might not suck as much as you think.

But it also applies to your skill, you might not be as good as you think lol.

Tickrate explains strange deaths. When you are like "Oh shit, did I just kill him ? lol" or "How did I even get killed ?". Definitely a problem when the players' level is very good and above.

I have not played Splatoon 2, but those "strange" deaths were already there in the first game.

The Boat

Something I don't get about the upload speed lower limit, why don't they block players before letting them enter the lobbies? There are way too many players that get disconnected or at the very least, it's easier to notice in a 4 player team.

Salex_

This thread is pretty incredible. I never thought I'd see so many people actively defending a low tick rate. It makes the gameplay experience objectively worse...why defend it?

It seems everywhere is using spec sheet and raw data to attack the Switch. Does it matter if 98% of players don't even notice it?

Phantom kills and unregistered shots affects everyone at all skill levels. Do you really think this is an attack on the Switch? lol

Top Bottom