• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently there's a indie game ARG going on?

bman94

Saw this on Reddit and don't know if it's old news here or not:
https://m.imgur.com/a/b4Hvb
1nkdzPe.jpg

So it seems like this symbol is being used in a multitude of indie games as secrets. The games that used it are:
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Sokobond
Mini Metro
Bellular Hexatosis
Flickers
Legend of Dungeon
Magic Circle
Soda Drinker
Neon Struct
Mos Speedrun 2
Moon Hunters
Slide the Shakes
Souls of Darkness
Kingdom of Loathing
Quadrilateral Cowboy

Don't kniw if this is widespread or previously known but I found it pretty interesting. Anybody knows of the connections of these games and any of their developers or publishers?

Additional stuff:
Reddit comments link:http://imgur.com/a/b4Hvb
ARG = Alternate Reality Game

Tempted to put this in my games to fuck with people now.

I'll forget.

I'll never get a game released.

my dreams :(

The last time we had a multi-game ARG was the Portal 2 golden potato thing. I actually got the golden potato when that was going on, though I didn't solve anything myself.

This looks to me like electronics schematic, not a map. :p

Electronic+Telephone+Ringer.GIF

Symbols are remarkably similar.

Yeah, it does look similar, doesn't it? Though I can't think of what kind of electronic circuit uses a circular base or curved circuits. A watch, maybe?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The last time we had a multi-game ARG was the Portal 2 golden potato thing. I actually got the golden potato when that was going on, though I didn't solve anything myself.

Yeah, my first thought was that perhaps this is Steam/Valve related, but a few of the games aren't on Steam.

daxy

The patterns seem like something out of The Witness.

I never have the dedication to parse through games for ARGs like this, but I do love reading about it. Keep us up to date, OP!

DedValve

Banned
Indie Illumaniti will be available on PS+ anyways so why bother so--*thump*

Nothing to see here folks. Ya'll are crazy, this is just a coincidence.
DROP IT.

Zubz

Banned
Oh, cool! It's like a Potato Sack 2! The sigil makes me think No Man's Sky/something new, but the craziness of everything, including RL puzzles, screams Frog Fractions.

Tempted to put this in my games to fuck with people now.

I'll forget.

I'll never get a game released.

my dreams :(

Oh come on you've accumulared plenty of practice. You're a game jam away from being a contender on itch.io keep it up! Keep prototyping. Keep learning linear algebra and trigonometry.

P.s. Totally hyped for the arg, but use my pc for eork no steam so will have to look around on reddit.

Zubz

Banned
Wait a sec, apparently the Kingdom of Loathing part of this ARG has been around since September 2014? That's almost 2 years now! I was assuming this was a marketing campaign ala the Potato Sack, but the Potato Sack was also packed together in a bundle that nudged people along into what games to look for. And I know a lot of these games didn't start to get sigils until recently, but even if the ARG didn't start kicking it into high gear before now, it's just mind-blowing to realize that the first pieces fell into place 2 years ago.

I also kind of find it funny that a number of pieces of the ARG were discovered well in advance of anyone knowing about it, while the KoL one that's the oldest bit of the ARG was just figured out recently. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out (Heh) for the sigil. Apparently someone claimed there's one in Crypt Underworld, but that game's not supposed to be out for awhile, and I haven't found it in trailer stuff.

Zubz

Banned

Oh yeah, I just read a read-up on these games. I can't remember/find which (I want to say There Came an Echo?), but I noticed you posted something on Steam for one of them (I assume you worked on it?). I'm assuming you're just here to laugh, and aren't going to give any nudges or winks?

Kansoku

The circular map thing reminds me of Masyu/Pearl puzzles. If black are on corners and white on lines, it could be something like this? (i filled the rest with what I thought it could be.)

job44Mh.png

(that black I put probably is not there tho.)

EDIT:

There's a more updated map:
Finaloption6.png

Haunted

:eek:

Someone scour There Came an Echo for another sigil.

Oh yeah, I just read a read-up on these games. I can't remember/find which (I want to say There Came an Echo?), but I noticed you posted something on Steam for one of them (I assume you worked on it?). I'm assuming you're just here to laugh, and aren't going to give any nudges or winks?
Feep is the founder of Iridium Studios and has designed Before the Echo (previously known as Sequence) and There Came an Echo.

Top Bottom