• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Walmart is telling its employees to take down displays that show violent video games along with other violent media

trikster40

Walmart Execs:

giphy.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can believe in the right to bear arms, yet still believe in limiting access to what type of violent media underage children are subjected to.
But kids mainly play shooters and they aren't shooting up places because they play CoD or GoW.
Walmart is doing this because of the politicians are vilifying gamers again. That shooter that just shot up the walmart a week ago or so didn't do it because there was a chick with a gun in the vydia section Blinky.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They sell guns to kids?
You are missing the entire point.

See

But kids mainly play shooters and they aren't shooting up places because they play CoD or GoW.
Walmart is doing this because of the politicians are vilifying gamers again. That shooter that just shot up the walmart a week ago or so didn't do it because there was a chick with a gun in the vydia section Blinky.

Petrae

Given that Walmart stores have been the site of a pair of violent firearms incidents, yanking advertisements that glorify gun violence isn’t an awful idea.

I’d get the outrage if Walmart yanked violent video games from its shelves, but that’s not what’s happening here. And, if we’re being fair, games aren’t the only targets of this advertising change.

I can’t muster the outrage on this one, even with the whataboutism card (What about Walmart selling guns?) in play.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Given that Walmart stores have been the site of a pair of violent firearms incidents, yanking advertisements that glorify gun violence isn’t an awful idea.

I’d get the outrage if Walmart yanked violent video games from its shelves, but that’s not what’s happening here. And, if we’re being fair, games aren’t the only targets of this advertising change.

I can’t muster the outrage on this one, even with the whataboutism card (What about Walmart selling guns?) in play.

I agree with you somewhat the thing that bothers me is that the next step?

Zog

Banned
You are missing the entire point.

See

A kid can't buy a gun from Wal Mart so it really doesn't matter if Wal Mart sells them. A kid is also not supposed to be able to buy an M Rated game so it doesn't really matter if Wal Mart sells them. On the other hand, they are concerned about violent imagery that can be seen by kids just because they are in the store so they are taking action. I don't care WHY they are concerned about violent imagery as long as the products are still available for people who are old enough to buy them. I don't care about a standee being taken down.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

But Walmart has had gun incidents for years why now? Why do this for games? Why after politicians started to blame gamers for it? If the shoe fits.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
A kid can't buy a gun from Wal Mart so it really doesn't matter if Wal Mart sells them. A kid is also not supposed to be able to buy an M Rated game so it doesn't really matter if Wal Mart sells them. On the other hand, they are concerned about violent imagery that can be seen by kids just because they are in the store so they are taking action. I don't care WHY they are concerned about violent imagery as long as the products are still available for people who are old enough to buy them. I don't care about a standee being taken down.
Walmart sells rated M games to kids. They are concerened about violent imagery? Yet they have had movie posters that they change every 3 weeks about them that glorify crime and murder. They have entire racks of magz with guns in them but yeah videogames! The question you have to ask yourself is why now? They have had shootouts for years, customers are even allowed to carry so ???

Zog

Banned
Walmart sells rated M games to kids. They are concerened about violent imagery? Yet they have had movie posters that they change every 3 weeks about them that glorify crime and murder. They have entire racks of magz with guns in them but yeah videogames! The question you have to ask yourself is why now? They have had shootouts for years, customers are even allowed to carry so ???
You should be happy they are making this change then.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
These retards also sells dirt cheap guns RIGHT across the electronics.

Let that sink in.
They aren’t retards that’s why they are doing this so they can keep selling guns but say thy did something about those evil videogames. And they can keep selling the games anyway

Let that sink in.
But Walmart has had gun incidents for years why now? Why do this for games? Why after politicians started to blame gamers for it?
Exactly. Trump and Biden have both blamed games, they essentially have given them cover. This is a PR move. People pointing out the hypocrisy don’t understand what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Ok, but that's up to the individual parent. I'm not worried about my kids seeing "violent" ads, but some are and that's their prerogative.

EDMIX

EXACTLY! I'm saying, its funny how they did that, yet they not doing this.

Keep in mind, in 2001 with the Nevada County mass shooting and The Santana High School shooting, K-Mart ended the sale of handgun ammo at all their stores shortly after. Isn't a complete fix, but they tried. I hate when companies try to pretend they are all wholesome, yet have no issue making that profit from those weapons.

EDMIX

I don't see anything wrong with this. They still sell the games, movies, etc. But if violent displays cause any unrest for people, such as shoppers with young children, there's no reason they must be up in the grocery store.

Its a half measure to make it seem as if they care....

If they really, really care...do what DICK's Sporting Goods did and end the sale of guns in their stores.

Capitalism trumps moral posturing anytime. Walmart will show things to look like it cares, and then continue selling these products anyways. No way retailers stop selling an entertainment product that tops the film industry.

Amazon be like 'Fuck Walmart and come shoot anything you want'! Lol

EDMIX

It should be the next logical step. If Walmart really cares....end the sale of guns and ammo in all of their stores. If you love guns, you should also only want a company that actually specializes in them selling them so you don't have some underpaid person handing out ammo and guns to their buddies. I understand your point of view, but if you love it, you'd also love to see it likely only do by folks that know what their doing vs.....WalMart. If there is one thing I think we should be focusing on, we shouldn't be selling anything like that at a walmart or any grocery store and then wonder why we have a gun problem. Let the educated enthusiasts have that market so they can educate, regulate and police themselves on selling guns to folks, I have no issue with that as that is better then a Walmart employee out here getting paid minimum wage and could care less about who they are selling guns and ammo to. When that dude does that and that person ends up killing a bunch of people, it doesn't help your hobby.

bilderberg

How is a gun rack equivalent to violent media? You're not going to see trailers for R rated movies when you go see a G rated film, so why have trailers or gameplay of M rated games among a stock of E-M rated games?

Reactions: Zog

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why would WalMart stop selling guns?

Wasnt the gun used in the WalMart shooting an AK 47?

I havent seen an AK 47 sold in my local WalMart so I doubt he bought that gun there.

Woo-Fu

Banned
When I have a life or death decision I always go to Wal-Mart and look at the displays for insight into my problems.

Zog

Banned
When I have a life or death decision I always go to Wal-Mart and look at the displays for insight into my problems.
You aren't the only one apparently, Many people are upset that they are losing these decision making displays. LOL

Top Bottom