• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Guess Who

Banned
The problem with the Files app is that, aside from iCloud Drive, any other document storage provider will have to ship a Files extension. Some apps with old “document provider” extensions like Google Drive and Dropbox will show their old document browser UIs that way, but for full integration they’ll need to ship an update with a Files extension (which obviously won’t happen in the beta period).

Excited for the new Files app. Have a question related...

My brother takes a lot of videos on his iPad. He's not the best technology-wise, but any recommendations for an external storage device for the iPad to back up photos and videos?

Is something like this any good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY4GICD/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Apparently to transfer you have to use the storage device's app. Maybe the new Files app will make things easier.

On this note, I suspect it’s probably theoretically possible for an accessory maker to make a Files extension that works with some kind of Lightning thumb drive, but that doesn’t currently exist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I kinda want the iPad multitasking of iOS 10 back, but add in the iOS 11 ability to move windows from left to right.

It's better because all compatible multitasking apps are in one list, instead of a dock that doesn't change. I find myself using fewer multitasking apps now than I used to as a result. Because I can't anticipate and put those apps in the dock.

Long press on app on home screen (but not to 'wobbly delete' stage) then while holding it down, double click the home button and bring up the previous app from the switcher, then lay the app over it. I hope it’ll get more familiar because I agree it feels complicated to the point of not bothering sometimes

Guess Who

Banned
Long press on app on home screen (but not to 'wobbly delete' stage) then while holding it down, double click the home button and bring up the previous app from the switcher, then lay the app over it. I hope it’ll get more familiar because I agree it feels complicated to the point of not bothering sometimes

Alternatively: just open both apps back to back and use Recents in the Dock to drag and drop.

Majine

Banned

Oh okay. Thanks.

That sounds like something that will fly over alot of peoples heads.

It seems the new beta has made quitting apps easier. No need to hold down and hit the X anymore. Just flick up. Seems holding down doesn’t work anymore.

My battery life does seem worse, though. Could just be indexing, etc.

kiguel182

The new beta also shows the battery life of my Bluetooth headphones. Glad that was just a bug on the previous version and they didn’t remove it.

erawsd

I kinda want the iPad multitasking of iOS 10 back, but add in the iOS 11 ability to move windows from left to right.

It's better because all compatible multitasking apps are in one list, instead of a dock that doesn't change. I find myself using fewer multitasking apps now than I used to as a result. Because I can't anticipate and put those apps in the dock.

I disagree, I much prefer the dock over that big list. Personally, I fell into a groove where I was only routinely multitasking with maybe 10 apps anyway, so having the whole list of apps there was never useful to me. If anything, I'd rather they come up with some sort of indicator that shows whether or not an app is compatible with multitasking rather than go back to a giant list.

Thats not to say that iOS11's multitasking is perfect, its definitely not as "usable" as it could be. I'd love a way to quickly bring up spotlight without going to the home screen and being able to use multitasking features with search results. And instead of dragging apps on top of one another, I'd prefer a context menu that just asks me whether I want to open the app in split view or overlay mode.

Anyone know how to permanently turn off that new apps drawer preview thing at the bottom of the iMessage window? Doesn't seem to persist when I tap the App Store icon to hide it.

Majine

Banned
I disagree, I much prefer the dock over that big list. Personally, I fell into a groove where I was only routinely multitasking with maybe 10 apps anyway, so having the whole list of apps there was never useful to me. If anything, I'd rather they come up with some sort of indicator that shows whether or not an app is compatible with multitasking rather than go back to a giant list.

Thats not to say that iOS11's multitasking is perfect, its definitely not as "usable" as it could be. I'd love a way to quickly bring up spotlight without going to the home screen and being able to use multitasking features with search results. And instead of dragging apps on top of one another, I'd prefer a context menu that just asks me whether I want to open the app in split view or overlay mode.

Yes, a quick way to integrate Spotlight into multitasking could be the missing puzzle piece.

Spotlight is already probably my favorite thing about iOS these days.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Installed iOS Beta 2. So far I'm satisfied. It fixed two of the main problems I had.

First, the app switcher works again. Haven't had any of the animation screw ups or returning and not closing apps like beta 1. Glad that was fixed.

Second, the News Widget is back. Funny I only noticed it was missing today. Went to the Widgets screen and it wasn't even an option. But after noticing it was gone, I realized that I hadn't gotten any notifications from it either since I upgraded. Now it's back. Widget is back. Notifications are back.

Wont know if there's any battery issues until I can actually test it.

The weather icons in the Weather app are unusually large now though. Not that I hate it. But I think they could be slightly smaller.

So FaceBook no longer syncs contacts. I made the mistake of not removing contacts synced. I was afraid it would remove ones I needed.

simonski

Getting 'There was an error saving this photo. Please try again later' when editing a photo on my phone (since upgrading to PB2). Only me?

DOWN

Banned
Any clue why my iPhone 7 Plus on public beta 2 doesn’t show up automatically for tethering on my iPad Air 2 (on the same beta) wifi menu? When just my iPad was on Public Beta 2 and my iPhone was still iOS 10, the automatic hotspot thing worked.

Symphonia

Banned
So, before the beta, swiping down from the top on the home screen used to show you the notification pane where you could swipe away the notifications. Now it doesn’t. My lock screen is full of notifications. How do I swipe them away without having to go in to each individual app to clear them?

So, before the beta, swiping down from the top on the home screen used to show you the notification pane where you could swipe away the notifications. Now it doesn’t. My lock screen is full of notifications. How do I swipe them away without having to go in to each individual app to clear them?

Long press/3D Touch in each one individually to clear it. Or push the X in the top right to clear whole swathes of them. Yes it’s terrible.

DOWN

Banned
Settings > Safari > Autofill
Thanks but searching in the settings app for autofill or credit cards doesn’t pull it up, and when I try and add a card on Amazon or other sites that used to work, no prompt appears to fill in the info

btkadams

Is there no way to turn off this “[App Name] is Actively Using Your Location” at the top bar?

I have one app that I actually WANT to track my location/movement so it’s almost always there. I’m sick of accidentally tapping it and going into the app when I’m actually just wanting to tap near the top of my currently open app (like the URL bar in Safari).

Is there no way to turn off this “[App Name] is Actively Using Your Location” at the top bar?

I have one app that I actually WANT to track my location/movement so it’s almost always there. I’m sick of accidentally tapping it and going into the app when I’m actually just wanting to tap near the top of my currently open app (like the URL bar in Safari).

Currently, no. I’m hoping it’s just a beta thing and it goes away in a future release. I can imagine tons of people getting annoyed by that, but it can be useful for devs to see when their app is using location services

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey why did they get rid of the editing controls on the Plus iPhone landscape keyboard? Not that I used it much but it could be useful. Actually I’d use landscape more if they just had a split keyboard and put all the editing stuff across the top.

Yeah I definitely don’t like this change. I hope enough people complain about it. I’d rather just have the icon in the status bar blink or glow a certain color or something unobtrusive and not distracting instead.

Well, I have my first casualty of the beta life. Things 3 no longer opens on my iPhone. Crashes immediately. Still works on my iPad thank god but still incredibly annoying

This iOS 11 is making my iPhone 7 Plus feel as sluggish as my 5S used to feel right before I bought it. Not cool.

Also the way notifications on the lock screen are managed now is awful. I'd rather slide them than do a hard touch and then another touch after I wait for said notification to finish loading to its mini preview window.

DOWN

Banned
When does the lane guidance update start?

Also, I’m very pleased that it appears iCloud is getting a more robust and available password manager with this little Key appearing so you can Touch ID to view you password bank if iCloud didn’t fill it in for you. I hate most password managers I’ve used (it’s just so annoying to keep up some of them or to go to their separate app when you can’t easily bring it up).

Edit: oh I guess it’s only some roads and this one happens to be wrong lmao. This road changed to a left ramp instead of right a few months ago. Google maps has it correct on the other hand
JscXHv3.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A neat little touch I just noticed in beta 2. When a timer is running the icon in Control Center lights up and if you force press it it shows the remaining time in both progress bar and text form. I’m satisfied. (It also shows up in Notification Center too since beta 1 as well also.)

DOWN

Banned
I guess the new remote widgets in the control center is only for Apple TV 2. Because it doesn’t seem to detect the Apple TV 1 despite the actual official remote app by Apple for iOS supporting all Apple TVs.

When does the lane guidance update start?

Also, I’m very pleased that it appears iCloud is getting a more robust and available password manager with this little Key appearing so you can Touch ID to view you password bank if iCloud didn’t fill it in for you. I hate most password managers I’ve used (it’s just so annoying to keep up some of them or to go to their separate app when you can’t easily bring it up).

Edit: oh I guess it’s only some roads and this one happens to be wrong lmao. This road changed to a left ramp instead of right a few months ago. Google maps has it correct on the other hand
JscXHv3.jpg

Hello, fellow Central Floridian.

---
On topic: I have had the beta since public launch on my iPad and have been enjoying it, not too much to complain about. I installed the beta on my iPhone 7+ a when PB2 came out and while I have yet to have a single crash or bug, My battery is hot garbage. I mostly work from home and can generally get 3 days out of my battery between charges. Now I can barely make it through the day. I went to sleep and it was at 47%, woke up and it was at 9%. Crazy thing is, the battery on my iPad is rock solid, almost better than before. My only complaint really. I need a fix ASAP (but I feel it's going to be awhile).

Shearie

Have a question for people running iOS 11 Betas on an iPad: Does the "recents" section of the Dock show recently opened apps from the regular section of the Dock? Was wondering since I think it would be better if it didn't show regular Dock apps there since it would be redundant and there would be more room for apps from the home screen.

Sch1sm

Recently went and reset all settings 'cause my 6 was acting up, and it led me into this bug where my device continuously assumes it's my first time using the keyboard. Keep getting that prompt about alternate keyboards and how to swap between them. Ugh.

erawsd

Have a question for people running iOS 11 Betas on an iPad: Does the "recents" section of the Dock show recently opened apps from the regular section of the Dock? Was wondering since I think it would be better if it didn't show regular Dock apps there since it would be redundant and there would be more room for apps from the home screen.

Yeah, that is how it works. Apps from the main area of the dock don’t appear in the recent section.

The slide up dock with recents has made switching between apps so much nicer on the iPad. If apple would just release a better quality Smart Keyboard (adjustable viewing angles!!) my laptop would collect serious dust, it’s already getting minimal use at this time

I keep finding my phone warm and drained of battery.
Here is what I just found:

I don't even remember having the camera open.
I'm also guessing it has something to do with the location services because it always seems to be on. I'm going to try turning that off.
Use this as a cautionary tale if you are thinking of putting this Beta on your phone in its current state.

DOWN

Banned
My visual voicemail isn’t showing up and that screen just says Call voicemail. I don’t know my voicemail password so I can’t get to the voicemail it says I have waiting. I’ve never set up a voicemail password in the past.

kiguel182

Safari looking for wiki pages and similar stuff when starting a search is pretty cool. It eliminates an extra step when searching. Love it.

Enzom21

My visual voicemail isn’t showing up and that screen just says Call voicemail. I don’t know my voicemail password so I can’t get to the voicemail it says I have waiting. I’ve never set up a voicemail password in the past.
You have to reset the password through your carrier.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Restart your phone. Fixed the issue for me when I first installed the latest public beta.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
beta 3 is night and day better on Watch. It still seems to go through the battery pretty rapidly.. and I still think (will have to test on this beta) Now Playing is a big culprit.. but everything seems snappier. Will also test the responsiveness of starting a new workout mid-workout tomorrow..

funny because the watch is performing pretty poorly lol but I am ecstatic.. the watch was nearly unusable for my most common daily functions.. workout, siri, and battery life.. and all three are greatly improved under beta 3. phew.

still, never again with watch. even when I upgrade to gen 3... no betas. I depend on the thing way too much to have it be undependable.

beta 3 is night and day better on Watch. It still seems to go through the battery pretty rapidly.. and I still think (will have to test on this beta) Now Playing is a big culprit.. but everything seems snappier. Will also test the responsiveness of starting a new workout mid-workout tomorrow..

funny because the watch is performing pretty poorly lol but I am ecstatic.. the watch was nearly unusable for my most common daily functions.. workout, siri, and battery life.. and all three are greatly improved under beta 3. phew.

still, never again with watch. even when I upgrade to gen 3... no betas. I depend on the thing way too much to have it be undependable.

The Now Playing stuff is exciting to me, but it sounds like it'll very possibly end up being enough of a battery hog even in the final version that I'm going to feel that much more compelled to upgrade from my Series 0 watch to the new model this fall.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The Now Playing stuff is exciting to me, but it sounds like it'll very possibly end up being enough of a battery hog even in the final version that I'm going to feel that much more compelled to upgrade from my Series 0 watch to the new model this fall.

honestly, upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 3... I mean you just have to expect is as an early adopter. WatchOS 1 even was more "omg there is so much potential here" than exactly "this is the greatest thing ever".. and each major update after that has slowed things down even more.

I'm not the least bit surly either.. early adopters are always suckers :p look at iPad 1 and iPhone OG. But yeah, I am guessing the Gen 3 upgrade is going to be bonkers..

Vuze

I don’t know why it should be. It’s running all the time on wOS3 as well, it’s just not on display. I haven’t noticed major battery differences when I have it on wake for an hour or two.
honestly, upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 3... I mean you just have to expect is as an early adopter. WatchOS 1 even was more "omg there is so much potential here" than exactly "this is the greatest thing ever".. and each major update after that has slowed things down even more.

I'm not the least bit surly either.. early adopters are always suckers :p look at iPad 1 and iPhone OG. But yeah, I am guessing the Gen 3 upgrade is going to be bonkers..
Ill upgrade whenever it gets cellular. I just wish they’d offer “transplants” or an upgrade trade-in program so I could keep my SS without breaking the bank. They don’t even give a shit about people who spend really big on the watch editions and basically treat it as disposable while portraying themselves as luxury watch brand in regards to AW.

EmiPrime

I installed PB2 on my iPad and my iPad was running extremely hot, burning through my battery really quickly. I uninstalled all my 32bit apps and that fixed it.

Guess Who

Banned
tbh all I need my Apple Watch to do is look nice, tell the time, tap me on the wrist when someone texts me, and count my calories. Unless Apple comes up with a mindblowing new use case for it I don't see myself upgrading my S0 in the foreseeable future, even if it stops getting updates.

EmiPrime

32bit apps won't even run on iOS 11, how was it heating the iPad?

Hell if I know! I chalked it up to beta bugginess and was going to try a bunch of troubleshooting steps starting with that and it worked almost immediately.

I'm sure someone is preparing a correlation != causality post.

Top Bottom