• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Car still on target for 2024, in talks with Toyota to produce

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

"
Apple is rumored to be in Asia visiting Toyota as it prepares to lay the supplier groundwork to mass produce a branded car by 2024, according to a new report by DigiTimes.

Apple representatives were said to have met with South Korea's SK Group and LG Electronics last month to discuss Apple Car development, and now Japan's Toyota is being touted as its next potential destination.

Apple has been working on a car-related project since at least 2014, and at one stage it looked as if the company was scaling back to focus on autonomous vehicle software. However, following several changes in management and hiring, Apple is now believed to be focused on building a car for consumers.

But to do that, the company needs to tap into a whole new supply chain. Apple is expected to rely on a manufacturing partner to build the vehicles, and though it wants to make EV batteries in the United States, it may be seeking partnerships with established vehicle makers like Toyota to do so.

Reuters has previously reported that Apple is developing a new battery design that has the potential to "radically" reduce the cost of batteries and increase the vehicle's range.

One person who spoke to Reuters described Apple's "monocle" battery technology as "next level" and said that it's similar to "the first time you saw the iPhone."

Reuters' reporting claimed that Apple is aiming to begin production on an Apple-branded self-driving vehicle starting in 2024, so DigiTimes' focus on that date isn't necessarily a shot in the dark. However, delays caused by the ongoing global health crisis or current chip shortage could always push production to 2025 or beyond.
"

BigBooper

One person who spoke to Reuters described Apple's "monocle" battery technology as "next level" and said that it's similar to "the first time you saw the iPhone."
This is the kind of fandom I wonder about with the Apple car. How much will people be willing to spend for a cult car? Their share price hasn't exactly been floundering, but it's not where people thought it would be when the last big Apple car news leaked.

Hopefully it's good and doesn't follow the BMW tactic of locking seat warmers behind a paywall.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
apple car GIF by gifnews

Lowly worm from Richard Scary’s books drove an Apple 🍎 car. And that is pretty dope.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wasn't interested at all but if they're going with Toyota then that actually makes me slightly more interested

TransTrender

Gold Member
2024 don't belive it
Also darkest timeline where you'll be paying $100k for a dressed up Prius or Corolla
Also doubling down on terrible ubiquitous appliance vehicle

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
i wasnt impressed the first time i saw an iphone. but when i got an iphone 4, that blew my mind

I always thought Apple would do cars once self-driving is solved. 2024 seems a bit too optimistic for that, but tech scales exponentially so who knows.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
BMW would be a better fit imo. BMW already had to build the Supra for Toyota.

At least that would make the expected high price bearable. Them already co developing the (now industry standard) digital car key shows them already working together.

dcll

Banned
Holy shit if Apple storage and accessory pricing are anything to go by can’t imagine in the car.

Last edited:
If they're going to put their name on it, it must have some kind of unique features that set it apart. I guess we'll see.

I think the switch to electric is going to happen more rapidly than people think, and there will be a bigger market for stuff like this when everyone starts adopting it.

Price has to come down to where current cars are at though or its a non-starter for most people.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I can see it now.
Apple Car $109,000
Apple Car Charging Cable $9,999
Apple High-Speed Charging Cable $19,999
Apple Car+ $49/month. Unlock all the features in your car.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I can see it now.
Apple Car $109,000
Apple Car Charging Cable $9,999
Apple High-Speed Charging Cable $19,999
Apple Car+ $49/month. Unlock all the features in your car.
Companies are already charging a monthly fee for cruise control so would not be surprised.

Dark Star

I've been waiting for Apple to announce something like a car lol. It was only a matter of time.

I was expecting more a Tesla kind of thing, but Toyota is is good. I have a 2020 Camry and it has Apple Carplay so makes me wonder what feature an "apple car" will have.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
They can't even make Apple CarPlay work properly
MEGA BUMP!

I am mostly renting my car, but every one I rented so far had CarPlay, even the ones that were not listed. Works really good for me, appreciate that I can manage my itinerary on the phone and then have it available inside the car.

Top Bottom