• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Debuts New 8-Core MacBook Pro With Updated Keyboard

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple today announced the surprise launch of new 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, which are the fastest Mac notebooks ever at the top of the line. The updated machines feature Intel's 8th and 9th-generation processors, with high-end models featuring eight cores for the first time.

applenewmacbookpromodels.jpg

According to Apple, the new MacBook Pro offers two times faster performance than a quad-core MacBook Pro and 40 percent more performance than a 6-core MacBook Pro. The new 13-inch machines are using updated quad-core processors, with the 6 and 8-core options limited to the 15-inch models.

Aside from new processors, the updated MacBook Pro machines continue to feature the same design, despite rumors that Apple would introduce a 16 to 16.5-inch MacBook Pro in 2019. There are some internal updates, though.

Though not mentioned in the press release, The Loop confirms that the new machine has an updated keyboard. The new keyboard uses a new material that Apple says will cut down on the failure problems that users have seen.
Another change in the newest MacBook Pro computers is with the keyboard. While Apple says the vast majority of its customers are happy with the keyboard, they do take customer complaints seriously, and work to fix any issues.

To address the problem, Apple said they changed the material in the keyboard's butterfly mechanism that should substantially reduce problems that some users have seen.
Apple did not explain what the "new materials" in the butterfly keyboard are, but said that the update will significantly cut down on issues like double key presses and missed key presses.

According to The Verge, some existing MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models that experience keyboard failures will have their keyboards replaced with the new 2019 keyboard that Apple has developed. Unfortunately, only MacBooks with the third-generation butterfly keyboard can get the updated 2019 keyboard, which includes the 2018 MacBook Pro and the 2018 MacBook Air.

Apple is speeding up keyboard repair times in its retail stores, and extending its Keyboard Service Program to include the 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 MacBook Air models, along with the new 2019 machines. The repair program lasts for four years after the first retail sale of a Mac machine.

The MacBook Pro continues to feature "the best Mac notebook display ever" with 500 nits of brightness, P3 wide color gamut, and True Tone technology. It is equipped with Apple's T2 security chip, Thunderbolt 3 ports, and immersive stereo speakers like prior machines.
"Whether it's college students mastering a course of study, developers building world-class apps or video editors creating feature films, we're constantly amazed at what our customers do with their MacBook Pro," said Tom Boger, Apple's senior director of Mac Product Marketing. "Now with 8-core processors for an incredible performance boost, along with its stunning Retina display, fast storage, all-day battery life and running macOS, MacBook Pro continues to be the world's best pro notebook and we can't wait to get it into our customer's hands to see what they do next."
The new MacBook Pro models are priced starting at $1,799 and $2,399, respectively, for the 13 and 15-inch models. The new machines are available today through Apple's online store and will be coming to Apple retail stores later this week. Apple has not updated the non-Touch Bar 13-inch MacBook Pro machines.

CyberPanda

Banned
I didn't want to make a new thread, so I will just add this article to this thread.

2018 and Newer MacBook Pro and MacBook Air Now Eligible for Apple's Keyboard Service Program

Apple today extended its Keyboard Service Program to all MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models equipped with any generation of its butterfly mechanism keyboard, not long after apologizing over the issues.

This means 2018 MacBook Air, 2018 MacBook Pro, or just-announced 2019 MacBook Pro models that experience keyboard issues such as sticky or inconsistently responding keys now qualify for free repairs up to four years after the original purchase date worldwide, regardless of warranty status.

Eligible Models
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
To address the underlying issues, Apple said it has changed the material in the 2019 MacBook Pro keyboard's butterfly mechanism to "substantially reduce problems that some users have seen," according to The Loop.

The new keyboard design on the 2019 MacBook Pro is still classified as "third generation" like the 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 MacBook Air. Owners of the 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 MacBook Air can have their keyboards replaced with ones that have the new materials during repair, according to The Verge.

To initiate a keyboard repair, visit the Get Support page on Apple's website to book a Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider appointment.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Apple will give you incredible os, that's guarantee, these are the same laptops year in, year out.

iconmaster

Banned
I hope the improved keyboard finally solves 95% of the issues, but I think that design is just fundamentally flawed.

The big news for me is that the Keyboard Repair Program now covers every butterfly model. I just got my son a MacBook Air as a graduation gift, and I've been worried about whether the keyboard would hold up.

CyberPanda

Banned
I hope the improved keyboard finally solves 95% of the issues, but I think that design is just fundamentally flawed.

The big news for me is that the Keyboard Repair Program now covers every butterfly model. I just got my son a MacBook Air as a graduation gift, and I've been worried about whether the keyboard would hold up.
Johnny Ives needs to go imo. It’s time to bring a new guy in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What other form factor are you wishing for? There's not much left to be innovated in this regard, as far as I'm concerned.
Apple is known for launching historic items (iPod, iPhone etc.), truth is this minimal update is expected you could blame this on Apple being put on Steve Jobs back for so many years.

iconmaster

Banned
Johnny Ives needs to go imo. It’s time to bring a new guy in.

I don't know just who is pushing the Make It Thinner doctrine. Could be Cook, or Schiller (it's marketable!), or someone else.

We may have hit the point where that priority starts having knock-on effects for product quality.

CyberPanda

Banned
I don't know just who is pushing the Make It Thinner doctrine. Could be Cook, or Schiller (it's marketable!), or someone else.

We may have hit the point where that priority starts having knock-on effects for product quality.
It's primarily Ives from what I've read, and Cook is green lighting it all. If they made their products a bit thicker, then they could add better batteries to their phones and laptops.

CyberPanda

Banned
Gotta change mine soon. I got the 13 inch air 2016 right now and it’s working like a beast but I need to go back to pro

New 8-Core MacBook Pro Offers Solid Performance Improvements According to Benchmark

The new high-end 8-core 15-inch MacBook Pro that was announced on Tuesday offers significant performance improvements over the previous high-end 6-core MacBook Pro from 2018, according to new benchmarks.

In a Geekbench benchmark uploaded this morning, the new MacBook Pro with a 2.4GHz Core i9 chip earned a single-core score of 5879 and a multi-core score of 29184.

macbookprobenchmark2019.jpg

Comparatively, the high-end 2018 MacBook Pro has earned an average single-core score of 5348 and a multi-core score of 22620. Single-core speeds are up almost 10 percent, while multi-core scores are up an impressive 29 percent.

Apple has said that the new 8-core MacBook Pro can offer up to 40 percent faster performance than a 6-core MacBook Pro, and two times faster performance than a quad-core MacBook Pro.

The higher-end stock MacBook Pro features a 2.3GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, which can be upgraded to a 2.4GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor for $200, which is the version that's been benchmarked.

Apple's entry-level 15-inch machine features a 6-core 9th-generation processor, while all of the 13-inch MacBook Pro machines use quad-core 8th-generation processors.

The new MacBook Pro models can be ordered from the online Apple Store and will be in retail stores later this week or early next week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom