• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event 9/12: Phones, Watches, TV, and More...It's Hardware Time!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Event Site and Livestream Location
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/

1jqsuatxfb

Uw5mn3l.jpg

FM99OmP.png

Rumored Releases

rcHImoF.png

FM99OmP.png

Time to find out how obsolete your existing products are, baby!

Last edited:

RubxQub

9to5Mac thinks they've got a scoop on the iPhone XS and AW4:

RubxQub

The still from thumbnail is basically all there is to see.

But the amount of complications you can jam on a watchface is pretty exciting. I'd love to use something other than the "Modular" watch face, but it's the only one I can get the right amount of data on.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
W..why on 9/12? One day after 9/11? Seriously Apple?

RubxQub

I mean, their event last year was on 9/12 as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not seeing anything of note rumored/leaked so far about the regular sized X2. The X has a great screen size and overall form factor, and FaceID works okay...ish already. Mmm, well, FaceID is the only real gripe I have about the X. Would prefer having a touchid sensor on the back or some other non-typing route to securely unlock while wearing sunglasses or a helmet or w/e, and the question remains how an improved front camera can really solve for this, since it's partly about needing to verify eye contact with the device so that a third party has a harder time unlocking your phone by pointing it at your face unawares, yeah?

Any thoughts on how this could be addressed without ditching the requirement of eye contact unlock affirmation? For example, you're wearing sunglasses with reflective lenses. Current FaceID on the X will unlock my phone 0% of the time while I'm wearing my ray-bans, which is to be expected but sucks compared to TouchID while walking around.

If you're retaining the eye contact requirement, you need to expand the front-facing sensor's light spectrum sensitivity range to address this, right? UV is harmful and blocked by sunglasses anyway, so that's out.

You could hypothetically have an infrared sensor tuned for eye detection, though it'd be challenging to handle different real-world use cases with all the different materials used in sunglasses and helmet shades, different thicknesses and coatings, reflective material, etc., You'd also need to account for potential new ways to spoof the system, and infrared imaging in small form factors isn't really known for resolution prowess afaik, but dual front sensors working in tandem could solve for that.

Any other potential ways that come to mind? Anything specific been rumored about this? Curious.

RubxQub

There's a feature to turn off the "attention" aspect of FaceID which would potentially get it to cut through your sunglasses (or rather, ignore them).

That's interesting though, as my Raybans actually don't block the FaceID scan (although mine don't have a mirror-like exterior which could be the reasoning).

I imagine reflective sunglasses may very well be the "I have gloves on and I can't unlock my phone" equivalent of TouchID, sadly.

Last edited:

Future

Still rocking an Apple Watch series 2 and iPhone 7 so my body is ready. My phone is still running strong, but I can feel the slowness of the watch. Trying to open any new watch app is so slow that I just don’t bother unless it’s the now playing app. Mostly just view complications, but moments have come up where I wished an app would open fast so I’m down to buy the new one

I like the big phones, so if the X Plus looks impressive then I’m in. Otherwise I gotta admit the 7 feels like it could last 1 more year. Barely feels slow at all, and the apps I use done need that much power

Woffls

My ideal iPhone at this point would be an SE2 with a home button and a 3.5mm jack... but it seems like I am getting precisely zero of those in any iPhone :(

Assuming the worst, I'll probably just settle with an iPhone 8 or the current SE.

Future

My ideal iPhone at this point would be an SE2 with a home button and a 3.5mm jack... but it seems like I am getting precisely zero of those in any iPhone :(

Assuming the worst, I'll probably just settle with an iPhone 8 or the current SE.

I bought 2 extra dongles so haven’t felt the jack pain in awhile. One for car, one for work, and one at home. Sucked, but its been over a year and haven’t thought about it since

RubxQub

It's Apple Event Eve!

Here's a sense of what's "expected" tomorrow as far as the iPhone goes:

TdCcDRg.jpg

RubxQub

They did this to themselves by going with "iPhone X"... and declaring that it meant 10.

I'd be down for just "X" series iPhones. "X1, X2, etc".

Now we're entering the shitty carrier variant model naming convention game.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can’t wait to see the prices of the new phones, especially if they are going to trot out a 512 gig model.

128, 256 & 512. Hopefully no more 32 gig models.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
They did this to themselves by going with "iPhone X"... and declaring that it meant 10.

I'd be down for just "X" series iPhones. "X1, X2, etc".

Now we're entering the shitty carrier variant model naming convention game.

I think they could have just used iPhone 9....iPhone 9, iPhone 9 Plus, iPhone 9C

Durask

I wonder if they will bring back Touch ID next year once they figure out how to integrate it into the screen.

RubxQub

I’m fairly certain Apple has no interest in going back to fingerprint related biometrics.

The decision to move to FaceID was done primarily for added security and convenience, not because they wanted to make a bigger screen with smaller bezels.

I see Apple going hard on FaceID to get it amazing. There’s really nothing more seemless than FaceID...in theory. I’m hoping v2 gets it even faster more accurate with better detection for abnormalities like hands on the face or reflective sunglasses.

Carton

I would like to see the return of the fingerprint scanner, but only if it was beneath the screen. It can be pretty handy when just casually taking the phone out of your pocket, unlocking and handing it to someone else when the situation arises, for example.

This is looking like a stacked event. I find myself most excited to see what they've done with the Apple Watch, even though i'm more likely to purchase a new iPhone (i'm still using a 6+) or iPad. An even zippier watch, with better battery life and larger screen whilst retaining the same front dimensions and hopefully a reduction in thickness will really establish it as a mature product line and I see it selling very well.

Link1110

Xs is a dumb name. When I first read it, I thought they were making a mini iPhone, like iPhone nano or something. Whatever, I just hope they say the name in the conference so I can finally get a straight answer if it's x the letter or ten. I've met people swearing by both.

RubxQub

Apple was very clear when the iPhone was released that it stood for 10. It’s just that no one says 10 because X is way cooler.

The Wolverine of phones.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I'm really curious what the price of the iPhone XC (or whatever the name is) will be. Could be a good value.

RubxQub

Hold on to your mother fucking butts!

1jqsuatxfb

OB01HXS.png

RubxQub

Not sure on the twitter stream. I saw the article saying it existed but I don't use Twitter and Apple hasn't posted anything publicly.

But in other news...

HERE WE GO BAY BAY!

RubxQub

Ok...I don't even know what to say about this intro.

Mission Impossible music blasting as some woman is running trying to get to the event.

In other news: Apple Watch 4 includes personal teleportation, confirmed.

RubxQub

Timmy boy takes the stage with his diligently delivered clicker:
Bg9HM9H.png

RubxQub

Apple Stores continue to look amazing:
Z8rPTv7.png

RubxQub

Tim says they're talking about 2 products today (starting with watch...assuming other is iPhone...maybe no new other hardware?!):
2QV4rUy.png

RubxQub

Apple Watch 4 Official Reveal:
wrTWFEX.png

RubxQub

New watches have increased screen real-estate (reduced bezels) while being thinner than last generation:
krT2Vcd.png

RubxQub

New "Breathe" watchfaces for breathe app functionality with the flick of your wrist:
QBfTjyJ.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is that their version of the smartwatch in which the straps cost you 200 bucks?

RubxQub

AW4 has 50% louder volume, moved the mic away from the speaker, new black ceramic and sapphire crystal back. Better passthrough for cell/wifi signal:

7NLNkAw.png

RubxQub

States the performance of the AW4 is twice as previous AW3, with the internal accelerometer being updated as well to be more accurate:
0gXND4B.png

Top Bottom