• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event October 2020 - Hi Speed

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm torn on getting the base 12. I might just go with the SE or a discounted 11 as the only thing super appealing to me is the body of the 12.

No Spotify on the homepod mini is not surprising but is a bit of a deal breaker for me. If we migrate to Apple Music it will be a no-brainer.

Last edited:

TheContact

I really hate the notch. Really hate it.

But my iPhone 8's battery is dead and I don't really want to spend money on a new battery for the privilege of using an outdated phone that is starting to show its age (although it held up better than my 6 and 4S).

I wouldn't mind the notch so much if it just took up the whole top of the screen and the screen accounted for it, but in apps like Netflix/games and such, it doesn't factor in the notch so the video gets put behind and you essentially have the thing blocking the view, but they do need to get rid of it. they'll get there eventually, if they could have done it i think they would have.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind the notch so much if it just took up the whole top of the screen and the screen accounted for it, but in apps like Netflix/games and such, it doesn't factor in the notch so the video gets put behind and you essentially have the thing blocking the view, but they do need to get rid of it. they'll get there eventually, if they could have done it i think they would have.

Agreed. I would much prefer that area just be bezel. I would love to hear the arguments that Apple folks made in favor of keeping the ugly-ass space-limited notch all these years.

-Arcadia-

Banned
f1602612416.jpg

Just like the iPads. Interesting to see Apple going from being a premium device company, to one that has something for everyone, while still retaining the quality and aesthetics.

I think it’s a really good move.👍 It’s made me way more interested in their stuff, whereas a few years ago, I started to feel like the price was going beyond what I was willing to spend.

Dunno about still selling the XR, though. Apple stuff ages really well, but that’s quite old for the price.

alstrike

I was thinking about getting a plain iPhone 12 thinking it would be "somewhat affordable" looking back XR/11 but I kinda noped the f*ck out after looking at those prices (EU).

909€ for the 12 means it will be 100€ more expensive than the 11, with the same storage.

They knew where to twist the knife (non Pro peasants) because the 12 Pro hasn't gone up in price, in fact they cost the same as last year's model and have double the storage.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
the way i see it, same iphone, performance up a notch. didn't have more features so they beat the hell out of 5g and the camera features, 5G so fast, look at the camera, LOOK AT THE CAMERA. look COOL colors. pay us. lol

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Did they say how much RAM does the iphone 12 have?
You should know this already, it's the FASTEST and the BEST PERFORMING RAM in any smartphone yet!

edit: I searched and look at the specs, they mention everything except the RAM. wtf apple. Some people say the Pro Max has 6GB of RAM. So I dono.

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
Definitely getting mini, only thing that’s disappointing is that i would have to buy power brick and headphones, that sucks.

SappYoda

edit: I searched and look at the specs, they mention everything except the RAM. wtf apple. Some people say the Pro Max has 6GB of RAM. So I dono.
Yes I did search but I could not find anything...

Did they say what battery capacity does the iphone 12 have?

Last edited:

Durask

Camera looks impressive
I will wait for photo sites to review Pro Max and barring any surprises will get it.
Camera is the only thing I care about.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Yes I did search but I could not find anything...

Did they say what battery capacity does the iphone 12 have?
No, like I said, it seems like there weren't many improvements so they shoved the 5G and the camera features in your face.

If you don't own an iPhone and you want to get one, the 12 seems ok, but I don't think people are going to upgrade just because of 5G.

Last edited:

Durask

the way i see it, same iphone, performance up a notch. didn't have more features so they beat the hell out of 5g and the camera features, 5G so fast, look at the camera, LOOK AT THE CAMERA. look COOL colors. pay us. lol

Well the Pro Max camera looks impressive.

Otherwise there isnt much you can do with a smartphone they’ve pretty much plateaued.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Forgive me for being a casual, if applicable, but this is the first time I’ve personally seen HDR (screen, not camera) in a mobile device. That’s really exciting to me. I would love to be able to have the 4K/HDR experience I have on my TV, when I’m just lying down with an iPad or something.

It’s not really something I’d use on a phone, but I’m glad the standard is being moved forward. I half expect the next iPad Pro to have this.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Well the Pro Max camera looks impressive.

Otherwise there isnt much you can do with a smartphone they’ve pretty much plateaued.
Yeah it's a nice feature, but for people who don't care about the camera, it didn't seem like a good upgrade for the non Pro versions. Like you said, wait until a 3rd party reviews the camera features and the specs of the phone, then consider if you should jump ship.

Yeah it's a nice feature, but for people who don't care about the camera, it didn't seem like a good upgrade for the non Pro versions. Like you said, wait until a 3rd party reviews the camera features and the specs of the phone, then consider if you should jump ship.

when does that typically happen?

ive never bought an iphone so close to release, so i'm not sure if i have to worry about supply....i'm leaning towards preordering, but dont want to rush in.

HoodWinked

apple is so damn devious. this seems completely unthinkable and yet they're going to get away with it. they're going to provide a phone without the means to charge it out of the box. lightning to usb-a would at least be workable since people have existing usb-a chargers and usb-a slots are on everything. the expectation would have been to have the usb-c on the actual phone. but now you're forced into either buying a usb-c charger or use the cable/charger from your previous iphone.

EkOhQ6oXYAIICqG

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

From the start Apple told developers not to hide the notch. Unlike other phones that worked hard to de-emphasize/minimize notches/nubs/teardrops/pinholes. It's clearly a conscious design choice from Apple, part of the iPhone style/brand.

I just don't like it.

Last edited:
I really hate the notch. Really hate it.

But my iPhone 8's battery is dead and I don't really want to spend money on a new battery for the privilege of using an outdated phone that is starting to show its age (although it held up better than my 6 and 4S).
Same here. It's one of the main reasons that after almost a decade I switched to Android. I've been using One Plus and the screen experience is just superb on that device (photo not mine):

op7-1-2.jpg

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
when does that typically happen?

ive never bought an iphone so close to release, so i'm not sure if i have to worry about supply....i'm leaning towards preordering, but dont want to rush in.
I'd say a week or two after release. maybe a month at the most.

The new iPhones look nice, but I'm fine with my Xr for another year. I will probably end up buying a couple HomePod minis. That intercom commercial was aimed right at my house.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Same here. It's one of the main reasons that after almost a decade I switched to Android. I've been using One Plus and the screen experience is just superb on that device (photo not mine):

op7-1-2.jpg

I took a hard look at the Samsung Galaxy Note but I don't think I'm ready to leave the Apple asylum at this point.

deafmedal

Mini HomePods will be great for us, we have a couple of the originals and love them. I use them to play music while I game in surround (with game music off) and my wife pushes her iPad audio to them so 1 or 2 mini’s in her art room and maybe one in the bathroom would be on point. May grab one for travel too eventually.

Luckily she doesn’t want to buy a new phone this year, she’s upgraded every year for the past 4 years for the camera. It’ll be nice not spending that money, she keeps her original photo files on the phone so the storage requirements are ridiculous (and the price obv). Really wish you could keep original files on the cloud and HEIC files on phone but direct Etsy/IG etc. to iCloud originals.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hmmm the Homepod Mini look interesting. It can play music from iphone, that would be the only feature i want it for 😬. Just hoping sound quality is good.

I'm one of the few people with a regular HomePod (like I said... Apple Asylum). The sound quality is pretty incredible. I am sure the Mini will sound great.

LordOfChaos

I was a bit bored with this one. Seems like too much sacrifice for cost and other features just for 5G, apparently they chose it as easier to market than ProMotion this year with the given battery budget. But the 12 costing 130 more than the 11, having cut the cost of the box, a carrier subsidy included in the marketing price, and the big camera updates being for the Max...Eh. Imo they chose wrong, if not for marketing to most people then to me.

Even with the usual interest in the chips they're quite obviously avoiding comparison with the A13 directly as it's not a big jump apart from the ML engine. They are getting tricky with those performance claims. First with the iPad Air they compared it against the A12, which fair enough, it was the last thing in an iPad Air. This year they said "A14 is the fastest chip in any smartphone, in fact, it's up to 50% faster"...Leaving it to on screen text to clarify that this was against some way behind Qualcomm chip, with only a modest gain vs A13 on the CPU and GPU.

First place is first place, but it does seem to confirm those seemingly small performance gain numbers vs A13 if you worked it out.

Maybe the iPhone 13 will be all that, smaller notch, ProMotion, one of these downsampling 64MP sensors, and not to mention 5G that doesn't zonk your battery to the point where they try to keep you on the previous network until you really need the speed.

supernova8

Banned
apple is so damn devious. this seems completely unthinkable and yet they're going to get away with it. they're going to provide a phone without the means to charge it out of the box. lightning to usb-a would at least be workable since people have existing usb-a chargers and usb-a slots are on everything. the expectation would have been to have the usb-c on the actual phone. but now you're forced into either buying a usb-c charger or use the cable/charger from your previous iphone.

EkOhQ6oXYAIICqG
They are dickheads.

We want USB C charging!

"OK we'll give you a lightning charger with USB-C on the other end"
"No that's not what..."
"All for the low price of $49.99!"

supernova8

Banned
I was a bit bored with this one. Seems like too much sacrifice for cost and other features just for 5G, apparently they chose it as easier to market than ProMotion this year with the given battery budget. But the 12 costing 130 more than the 11, having cut the cost of the box, a carrier subsidy included in the marketing price, and the big camera updates being for the Max...Eh. Imo they chose wrong, if not for marketing to most people then to me.

Even with the usual interest in the chips they're quite obviously avoiding comparison with the A13 directly as it's not a big jump apart from the ML engine. They are getting tricky with those performance claims. First with the iPad Air they compared it against the A12, which fair enough, it was the last thing in an iPad Air. This year they said "A14 is the fastest chip in any smartphone, in fact, it's up to 50% faster"...Leaving it to on screen text to clarify that this was against some way behind Qualcomm chip, with only a modest gain vs A13 on the CPU and GPU.

First place is first place, but it does seem to confirm those seemingly small performance gain numbers vs A13 if you worked it out.

Maybe the iPhone 13 will be all that, smaller notch, ProMotion, one of these downsampling 64MP sensors, and not to mention 5G that doesn't zonk your battery to the point where they try to keep you on the previous network until you really need the speed.

I was really hoping for a high refresh rate display so yeah I'll hold onto my iPhone 6S another year :D

Still a notch and no foldable, meh
Were you hoping for a hole punch instead? Is there in-screen cameras yet? I don’t mind the notch, but I would prefer it gone if possible. I just don’t know what a good replacement would look like. There’s multiple sensors up there, how many holes would it need?

cryptoadam

Banned
Were you hoping for a hole punch instead? Is there in-screen cameras yet? I don’t mind the notch, but I would prefer it gone if possible. I just don’t know what a good replacement would look like. There’s multiple sensors up there, how many holes would it need?

I expect Apple to come up with a new design and solution especially since competitors are. Whatever it is, because the notch is lame and old, why not make it a rotary phone to LOL.

They have been rocking the notch for gens now its time for a new design.

Ovek

7Member7
I'm torn on getting the base 12. I might just go with the SE or a discounted 11 as the only thing super appealing to me is the body of the 12.

No Spotify on the homepod mini is not surprising but is a bit of a deal breaker for me. If we migrate to Apple Music it will be a no-brainer.

I think the homepod is literally the only electronic device that doesn't have a Spotify app, my fridge even has one.

TTOOLL

EkOhQ6oXYAIICqG

Came to post this. They're are shameless.

Top Bottom