• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event October 2020 - Hi Speed

Thaedolus

Still can't believe people fall for Apple's tactics year after year.

They're such a devious bunch of fuckers. Might as well of called this the iPhone 11.5.

What are people falling for? It’s a new phone with a better SOC, better radio, better screen, better wireless charging, new chassis, better cameras...it’s basically everything you’d expect from a new generation. If you think people are getting duped or something at gen 12...I don’t get it. I wasn’t expecting a phone that would blow me every morning when I wake up.

And yes they should’ve included a USB C power block, but any of your dozens of lightning cables will still charge the phone, USB C is just way faster. You can get them on Amazon for like $15

Celcius

°Temp. member
I plan to get a 12 pro.
I’m annoyed that I have to pay extra for the power adapter though.
I also noticed that they compared the A14 against the competition and not the A13.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Still can't believe people fall for Apple's tactics year after year.

They're such a devious bunch of fuckers. Might as well of called this the iPhone 11.5.

Most people don't get a new iPhone every year though. How is anyone falling for it if you're upgrading from a 2-4 year old phone.

I plan to get a 12 pro.
I’m annoyed that I have to pay extra for the power adapter though.
I also noticed that they compared the A14 against the competition and not the A13.

Good catch. Anandtech wrote an article when the iPad came out about how this chip is probably not a major advancement over A13. Luckily the A13 is a pretty diesel CPU.

This is not an upgrade that is worthwhile over my X. These things have really stagnated hard.

I'm not saying this to be an Apple apologist, but isn't this true across the entire phone industry? Feels like folding phones is the only real advancement we got in the past 5 years and they're still pretty rough.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Bit annoyed about this - the iPhone 12 international models are missing mmwave, which is fine enough, didn't really want it, but unlike when Google did the same on the Pixel, and Sony and Microsoft eating some conversion cost with the consoles, it's actually costing MORE than the direct conversion from the full US model, while costing them less.

Way too much gouging this year. Too much sacrifice for 5G maybe, but that doesn't even explain costing more for missing mmwave on international markets.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Just buy the Xperia 5 II and use the iPhone theme available for android. And there you have it, a better iPhone. just kidding, don't install the theme.

Last edited:

Cycom

Banned
I’m getting a Pro (regular, non-Max). I currently use a 2nd gen iPhone SE. it’s a great phone but my vision sucks now and I need a bigger screen. The new camera system is looking to be fantastic, which I’m happy about since this is going to be my main camera.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Got a base 12 with 128gb storage. Not arriving until Nov 10th. Went with the wireless charger, case, and wallet.

Edit: Weird, the checkout said Nov 10, but my confirmation email still says Oct 23rd. I guess I will have to wait and see which is correct.

Last edited:

Slaylock

I have an X and had no intention of upgrading, but AT&T offered $800 in trade in credit for signing a 30 month contract. Couldn’t resist. Preordered a Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro.

Nester99

Can’t decide over pro or max. Need to upgrade my X as the battery sucks and I use it a all day for work. Anyone have a older Max and love it or hate it? Worried it might be too big for easy operation in one hand. I no longer use my older iPad, so I thought the max would be a good compromise.

dorkimoe

Can’t decide over pro or max. Need to upgrade my X as the battery sucks and I use it a all day for work. Anyone have a older Max and love it or hate it? Worried it might be too big for easy operation in one hand. I no longer use my older iPad, so I thought the max would be a good compromise.
I spent the last few days debating. I have an 11 pro max. I ended up going with 12 pro. The way I lay in bed and text with one hand on the max hurts my pinky lol. So I want to try and go back to a smaller phone. Can always return it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I grabbed a 12 Pro in blue, should get it first week of November. Upgrading from an 8 and am looking forward to the bigger screen and camera.

Thaedolus

Decided to go for the 256GB Pro in blue rather than the Pro max. Not thinking I need the bigger screen and camera stuff. Still early November delivery 🙄

Yoda

Picked up a Pro 12, On a pixel 2 and it's showing its age + Google won't give me anymore android updates after this year.

KO7

Planned on a Pro Max, but ended up preordering a 12 128GB in Blue as money will be tighter than originally expected next year. Excited coming from a 7 Plus.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The Apple website kept freezing up for me this morning. I finally tried the app and got my order through, but my pacific blue 12 pro won't get here until the first week of November. The graphite 12 pro I ordered for my dad will be here next Friday though. I guess blue was super popular.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've received my silicone cases and usb-c bricks, now I'm just waiting on my phones. :(
I think it backfired on apple that by not including the charger brick, now everyone is ordering them separately.

MrS

Banned
When are these new MacBook Pros dropping. Need to upgrade my 2015 model desperately!

Last edited:

decisions

When are these new MacBook Pros dropping. Need to upgrade my 2015 model desperately!

Nothing concrete but there are rumors of Nov. 17th event. Remember Apple did officially say the first AS Mac would he out before the end of the year at WWDC.

• Fire
Reactions: MrS

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've received my silicone cases and usb-c bricks, now I'm just waiting on my phones. :(
I think it backfired on apple that by not including the charger brick, now everyone is ordering them separately.

Apple stops including a charger and then gets millions of people to buy one separately? Sounds like keikaku to me.

p.s. Keikaku means plan

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Got my silicone case (feels more like suede), usb c brick, and MagSafe charger. Phone due to arrive on Friday. Kind of excited as this is my first brand new iPhone.

I only ordered the brick because of the MagSafe charger. I could use another usb-c wall brick that I have laying around, but I figure it will sit permanently behind my pc, with the MagSafe on my desktop.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Same here. It's one of the main reasons that after almost a decade I switched to Android. I've been using One Plus and the screen experience is just superb on that device (photo not mine):

op7-1-2.jpg

That's the funny thing with phones.
This year I take the same road but in opposite directions, I'm going from Android to Apple.

I've never understood the Apple route. I don't even do anything major on my phone, but I can't understand the basic OS if you are a power user (I also hate Samsung for the opposite reason, overbloated). Give me a pixel phone, and I'm good to go. Apple SoC is better than snapdragon, but what does is matter when the OS is limited as hell, and they pair it with small batteries and limited ram?!

jts

...hate me...
I've never understood the Apple route. I don't even do anything major on my phone, but I can't understand the basic OS if you are a power user (I also hate Samsung for the opposite reason, overbloated). Give me a pixel phone, and I'm good to go. Apple SoC is better than snapdragon, but what does is matter when the OS is limited as hell, and they pair it with small batteries and limited ram?!
What do you do on your phone that you can't do on an iPhone? I mean the new iPhones are editing 4K Dolby Vision video on device, you'll want the best chip possible for that. They have 6GB of RAM, and I do wish the batteries could be larger, but some of the models have sometimes very big battery life (e.g. iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max) and usually for power users you can get an official battery case to dial that up to 11. Too bad the 12 doesn't have them, at least yet.

What do you do on your phone that you can't do on an iPhone? I mean the new iPhones are editing 4K Dolby Vision video on device, you'll want the best chip possible for that. They have 6GB of RAM, and I do wish the batteries could be larger, but some of the models have sometimes very big battery life (e.g. iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max) and usually for power users you can get an official battery case to dial that up to 11. Too bad the 12 doesn't have them, at least yet.
Picture in picture with any video source, multiapp support, being able to run things in the background without them closing unless I want them to. I don't play games on my phone, but it's crazy how you couldn't play fortnite (fucking hate the game, but the option is there), or install a 3rd party remote for your computer to control music while gaming. Literally nothing major, but I just like the option of being able to do these things with no restrictions.

Reactions: jts

TaySan

Banned
Next month is my last phone payment for my LG V40 and upgrading for 5G and a shiny new toy sounds tempting. Must resist :((

TTOOLL

Saw some reviews and the 12 just didn't do it for me. It's beautiful indeed but that's it. I don't care about 5g and as it would be my first iPhone I would have to buy a fucking brick.

Actually, I was mostly curious about the mini, which isn't in the reviews, but I read somewhere that it has a really small battery.

Anyway, I'll just get the cheaper 11.

nbcjr

Everyone forgets that Apple is now manufacturing their phones in India. While cutting the charger and earphones sucks, I would pay 50% more just to support them for moving away from China.
you imply that they moved 100% of the production outside of China, that is just not true.

Not only the major production volume is chinese, but the 'production' done in other countries such as Brazil and India, is only the assembly.

TLDR: apple products are still chinese.

Last edited:
Top Bottom