• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Has Prototyped a 6.7-Inch iPhone Without a Notch, Face ID Housed in Upper Bezel Instead

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple has prototyped at least one iPhone with a 6.7-inch display and no notch, with the TrueDepth sensors for Face ID instead housed in the thin bezel above the display, according to leaker and concept artist Ben Geskin.

Geskin created the rough concept below to visualize the alleged iPhone, which he said Apple plans to release in 2020.

2020-iphone-6-7-inch-no-notch-800x450.jpeg

This isn't the first time we've heard of a 6.7-inch iPhone. Earlier this year, noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple plans to release 5.4-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch iPhones in 2020, all with OLED displays and 5G support. Kuo said the iPhones will sport all-new designs, but he did not comment on the notch.

Earlier this week, Kuo added that the 2020 iPhones will each have a new metal frame similar to the iPhone 4, suggesting the frame could have flat edges versus the round frame on the iPhone X and newer.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu have previously reported that Apple has considered releasing an iPhone with both Face ID and an in-display fingerprint scanner in 2020 if testing is successful, but the report cautioned that the fingerprint scanning technology might not be ready until 2021.

Geskin has had a few accurate leaks in the past, including front glass panels for 2018 iPhones that revealed the iPhone XR would have slightly thicker bezels than the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. However, until other sources corroborate this information, the rumor should be treated with some skepticism.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
As soon as apple goes notchless all those notch phones gonna look much more dated than they are.

Dontero

Banned
As soon as apple goes notchless all those notch phones gonna look much more dated than they are.

They are already dated. There are plenty of notch free phones right now from low to high end. For example my mid range:

i-huawei-p-smart-z-czarny.jpg

frankly i am shocked that Iphone is so far behind on this.

Dontero

Banned
This thing looks like a major point of failure:

That thing pops up only for selfies. If you don't do selfie it hides back into phone.
Takes about half a second to pop up/down when you start to take selfie.

Last edited:

Carton

They are already dated. There are plenty of notch free phones right now from low to high end. For example my mid range:

i-huawei-p-smart-z-czarny.jpg

frankly i am shocked that Iphone is so far behind on this.

They’re not behind, it’s simply a different approach. This phone doesn’t have depth mapping Face ID.

Dontero

Banned
Eventually, lint and crap in your pocket ruin the mechanism.

I remember being 5 and having crap in my pockets but since i grown up i don't have anything in them unless it is phone or wallet. So i don't have anything in my pockets on which phone parts can scratch or malfunction.
Secondly that selfie camera when it pops down leaves almost no trace
Third how commonly people use selfie camera ? I never use them.

They’re not behind, it’s simply a different approach. This phone doesn’t have depth mapping Face ID.

They are behind. They have notch while everyone else starts to have no notch. Iphone got to fame by being more futuristic that competition. Which is normal since they ask arm and leg for their phones compared to competition. Since few generations they already stopped being above competition and now they are behind it.

Though it is not like you can do something else when you go bezeless and no notch so they are 1 gen behind everyone else and future of no improvements to common form.

Also i don't even understand why someone would want FaceID. I don't use my phone constantly looking straight at it. Often it lies down while i am doing something on the side so using it would be pain in ass as i woud have to pick up phone look at it and then do something.

Secondly i don't even lock my phone as i don't keep anything critical on phone so i don't need it.

Last edited:

Carton

Third how commonly people use selfie camera ? I never use them.

Often enough they’re on every smartphone, I suppose. I use mine fairly often for video calls.

They are behind. They have notch while everyone else starts to have no notch
Also i don't even understand why someone would want FaceID. I don't use my phone constantly looking straight at it. Often it lies down while i am doing something on the side so using it would be pain in ass as i woud have to pick up phone look at it and then do something.

Secondly i don't even lock my phone as i don't keep anything critical on phone so i don't need it.

Huawei’s most recent flagship, the Mate 30 pro, has a notch for 3D facial recognition, yet their older and cheaper options have notchless displays. The google pixel 4xl will also have a thicker bezel along the top to support 3D facial recognition and mapping.

uCMxUKq.jpg

7K0kQVL.jpg

Facial recognition is fantastic and seamless in some situations (eg. opening a bank app and having it verify your face without any input required) and clunky in others (lying on a desk). I really like it overall.

My phone has access to my email, browser passwords, and banking apps (the latter two behind a biometric wall), so it’s critical I secure my phone from that perspective alone, not to mention basic privacy. Based on your apparent use, I understand why you would want a notchless display over Face ID and even a selfie cam, but for me I’m happy with the sacrifice until technology allows for the best of both worlds.

Carton

Xiaomi already has a working behind the display front camera. Apple is really behind.
It has only been previewed. I love that Xiaomi show off their tech ahead of any release, but demonstrating it on stage is obviously different to having it available on the market.

Celcius

°Temp. member
No notch is cool, but 6.7 inches for a phone screen is huge. Why do phones keep getting bigger and bigger?

Dontero

Banned
I still do not give a fuck about notches. People act like a notch is the worst thing ever. Deal with it.

Well it looks like an ass, same as camera sticking out of phone. You buy premium and it looks worse than some cheap chinese phone if those were garbage still.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It has only been previewed. I love that Xiaomi show off their tech ahead of any release, but demonstrating it on stage is obviously different to having it available on the market.
The apple solution we are talking about hasn't even been previewed, so this seems like an odd nitpick.

Carton

The apple solution we are talking about hasn't even been previewed, so this seems like an odd nitpick.

It’s not a nitpick. I don’t have a horse in this race. I love technology and will jump to whichever manufacturer meets my arbitrary needs at the time. Comparing Apple to Xiaomi is difficult, because they operate and market their gear differently: when it comes to phones, Apple will not want to distract from their current lineups by previewing tech in the pipeline, whilst Xiaomi generate excitement and grab headlines by showing what they’re working on. As I wrote, I appreciate Xiaomi for that, but i wouldn‘t base a judgement of who is trailing who upon it.

Last edited:

Damon

The fact people are lapping this is up is hilarious.
There is no way Apple are fitting the FaceID components in somewhere so small.

The 2020 iPhone will have a reduced notch at best.

Ben has come forward now to say 20% chance this will happen aka its not and he was just looking for attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom