• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 11 Event: Sept 10, 2019

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

When is Apple’s iPhone 11 event?
Apple’s September event will take place on Tuesday, September 10th at Steve Jobs Theater. You’ll be able to livestream it through Apple’s website, on YouTube, in select Apple Stores, and on the Apple TV. It’ll kick off at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET.

iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
Headlining Apple’s September event will be the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Those names could always turn out to be different, but they have been corroborated in several different reports.

Camera

The focus of the iPhone 11 Pro will be the camera technology, with both models expected to gain a new triple-lens camera array on the back. This means the iPhone 11 Pro will feature a wide-angle lens, a telephoto lens, and an ultra-wide-angle lens.

What does this mean for iPhone 11 Pro camera performance? The ultra-wide-angle lens means users will be able to take images that include a much larger field of view. It could also mean dramatic improvements to augmented reality performance.

The iPhone 11 Pro is also expected to include a feature called Smart Frame, as 9to5Mac first reported earlier this summer. This feature will capture the area around the framed area in pictures and videos, giving the user the ability to adjust the framing or perform automatic perspective and crop corrections in post. The extra area will be retained for a short period of time and deleted automatically for privacy reasons.

As for the front-facing camera, Apple will reportedly bump the quality from 7MP to 12MP, and go from a 4-element lens to a 5-element lens. It will also be capable of slo-mo video recording at 120 frames-per-second.

Bilateral wireless charging

The iPhone 11 is expected to support something called bilateral wireless charging. This would allow you to use the back of your iPhone as a charging mat for other Qi devices. For instance, you could place your AirPods on the back of your iPhone to recharge them while on the go.

To accommodate bilateral wireless charging, reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted that the 5.8-inch iPhone battery will increase by between 20 and 25 percent and the 6.5-inch by between 10 and 15 percent. This means that users will be able to take advantage of bilateral wireless charging without having too big of a hit to battery life.

Design

One of the most controversial changes with the iPhone 11 Pro will be the camera bump on the back. In order to make room for the new triple-lens camera array, Apple is shifting to a square camera bump on the back.

Recent reports have also suggested that the location of the Apple logo on the back will shift slightly. Photos posted to Slashleaks show that the Apple logo has been moved downwards and is now centered vertically and horizontally.

The logo has likely been moved to accommodate the larger triple-camera area. If it kept its original location, there wouldn’t be much padding between the bottom of the camera bump and the leaf of the Apple logo.

The placement of the logo may also act as an indicator for users who want to take advantage of the new iPhone 11 bilateral wireless charging/power share features. As the current Qi charging coil of the iPhone is centered, the Apple logo would be a perfect match for the alignment.

It has also been rumored that Apple will remove the ‘iPhone’ branding from the back of this year’s model. This would mean the back of the device would be completely bare of branding apart from the Apple logo, which means it would make more aesthetic sense to truly center it.

Other design tweaks rumored for the iPhone 11 Pro include a new matte finish on some color variants. Bloomberg has also said the iPhone 11 Pro will be more durable with improved shatter resistance and waterproofing.

Fast charging

Last but not least, reports have said the iPhone 11 Pro will finally drop the 5W charger, and come with an Apple USB-C charger instead and a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box.

After several years of speculation, it seems like the iPhone 11 will finally ship with a fast charger in the box, even though the connector on the actual device will still be Lightning.

You’ve been able to achieve iPhone fast charging in the past by purchasing a more powerful USB-C block and a USB-C to Lightning cable after the fact. By including the accessories directly in the box, however, Apple greatly streamlines the experience for the customer and gives users the cable they need to connect their iPhones to modern Macs.

(More at the link)

Mistake

Any news on storage space? Higher quality pictures and still no SD card, presumably. What is the biggest or most interesting change to ios 13? I’ve been waiting to upgrade, but it seems they’re still not budging on anything.

I wish this shit would happen every 2 years instead of every year. Time to update all apple operating systems - oh look, then i have to upgrade my hardware now too cause it runs like shit

W3iEQW4.jpg

I wish I would have bought an iPhone instead of my S9+. I guess when my contract runs out I’ll make the switch, but that won’t be until February 2021. Fuck me running.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

As an owner of imported iPhone max dual sim from Hong Kong, I’ll be skipping the iPhone upgrade this year because honestly not only I don’t care about camera this much ( the max produce some nice quality pics and 4K 60 FPS is more than I need for videos) . I also think the camera design is very ugly.

Also considering how the iPhone 6s is still super fast, I am sure the A12 will be just fine if not perfect till next year where the phone is getting a totally new design and type c etc

For this year leaks so far ? Not even gonna upgrade for a single sim max pro even if it was a free upgrade ( I hate having a single sim phone . What fucking year is this )

The only reason I might consider upgrading is a 90/120 hertz screen , which I don’t see happening this year

Carton

The iPhone 11 pro physical mock ups were pretty damn ugly with a camera bump which was begging restless fingers to pick at/off, but the more recent renders make it look a lot better. Either way, I’m probably another year off upgrading as the reduction in notch size, possible addition of in-display touch ID, 5G, time-of-flight camera and increase in RAM make it a far more compelling upgrade if indeed it is stacked with all that.

I’m looking forward to the new iPad pros the most, but they seem unlikely to make an appearance. October, hopefully.

Will we live to see a follow up to the SE? Probably not.

Rumours point to a low cost iPhone launching early next year, but it seems likely to have the form factor of the iPhone 6-8, so perhaps not the true successor you’re after.

betrayal

Banned
If you replace "iPhone" with "S10" you will get last years press release for Samsung's S10.

Welcome to yesterday, Apple.

:goog_geek:

Anki

Banned
I wish this shit would happen every 2 years instead of every year. Time to update all apple operating systems - oh look, then i have to upgrade my hardware now too cause it runs like shit

Really? I am still using iphone 6s with latest ios and its really smooth I have no reason to upgrade to newer phone anytime soon. I have also tried ios13 beta and I haven't noticed any slowdown.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
The iPhone 11, a revolutionary device, with all brand new never before seen shit you've already seen on other phones, starting at $1,999 for 32GB models. Need more space, get the all-new 128GB version for only $2,499. How about the space red pewter blue neon yellow mustard shit color with 256GB, just $2,999.

don't mind me i'm just hatin.
seriously though, here's to hoping they don't just change 3 features and call it a day.

Durask

So far all the sites are speculating the next major upgrade will be in 2020 and this year just a minor spec bump with an extra camera.

greyshark

It does feel like this is the XSS - I don’t think I’ll be able to wait another year. To help justify my decision I’m wondering if there will be growing pains with Apple’s first generation of 5G modems.

Mista

Banned
Waiting for this. I still have the X and haven’t upgraded to Xs max or whatever they’re called. Not worth it for me

I also decided than no long I’ll use a wired earphones and didn’t buy the air pods yet so I’ll also wait hoping they announce new ones

Revoh

iPhone SE user here. I expect nothing and am thankful they gave me iOS 13 so I don't have to upgrade to their new line of ugly, oversized phones just yet.

Same. I'm actually thinking of just buying another SE to have a backup when mine dies. The phone is still fast as the first day.

CyberPanda

Banned

Bloomberg: 2019 iPhones Will Have Centered Apple Logo on Back

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
I'm in the desire for a newer phone to replace a Galaxy S8. It gets the job done, but it seems slow at some basic tasks. I really need USB-C though and a headphone jack...guess I shouldn't get my hopes up for Apple to do this.

Carton

I'm in the desire for a newer phone to replace a Galaxy S8. It gets the job done, but it seems slow at some basic tasks. I really need USB-C though and a headphone jack...guess I shouldn't get my hopes up for Apple to do this.

The headphone jack on the flagship models is gone for good. USB-C is strongly rumoured to be replacing the lightning port on the 2020 flagship iPhones.

Mista

Banned
Around 4 hours left. I’m hyped but with cautious

Hoping that the design isn’t ugly for the sake of the camera

Skyr

iPhone SE user here. I expect nothing and am thankful they gave me iOS 13 so I don't have to upgrade to their new line of ugly, oversized phones just yet.
I love my SE and wouldn’t want to swap it for anything bigger.
Really hope that the next SE will keep the size.
There are dozens of us small phone lovers. Dozens!

daveonezero

Banned
Camera bumps are the worst. Make it slightly thicker, a bigger battery and have no bump.
I love my SE and wouldn’t want to swap it for anything bigger.
Really hope that the next SE will keep the size.
There are dozens of us small phone lovers. Dozens!
I too love my SE and hope ios13 is a nice upgrade for it. Saw some vids on it working pretty well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Camera bumps are the worst. Make it slightly thicker, a bigger battery and have no bump.

And put the headphone jack back in. Not going to happen, alas. The iPhone is a lifestyle device first and foremost, so the thinness obsession isn't going away.

Thabass

I see the event is now covered on YouTube. What's the matter Apple, people not watching your pretentious shit on Apple-only products anymore?

daveonezero

Banned
And put the headphone jack back in. Not going to happen, alas. The iPhone is a lifestyle device first and foremost, so the thinness obsession isn't going away.
The obsession of thinness is not just Apple.

It is supposedly going to be slightly thicker and have a bigger battery, but the bump will still exist.
Yeah I see that but still why do that and not get rid of the bump.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Thinness obsession was Johnny Ives prerogative. Maybe with the new designer things will change.

CyberPanda

Banned
I want to believe this, but I honestly don't know...
Tim Cook is all about profits. Yes, Steve cared about making money but if you compare Apple under his helm vs Tim, it was quite clear Steve did a better job. Sure, Tim is making apple tons of money, but Steve was the real visionary. And sadly he is not with us anymore. May he RIP.

Thabass

Tim Cook is all about profits. Yes, Steve cared about making money but if you compare Apple under his helm vs Tim, it was quite clear Steve did a better job. Sure, Tim is making apple tons of money, but Steve was the real visionary. And sadly he is not with us anymore. May he RIP.

Of course. I knew I'd be worried about Apple once Steve died and here I am, no longer supporting them because of the doofus decision making they've been doing the last few years. They're not as bad as they were in the mid-90's though...

CyberPanda

Banned
Of course. I knew I'd be worried about Apple once Steve died and here I am, no longer supporting them because of the doofus decision making they've been doing the last few years. They're not as bad as they were in the mid-90's though...
I still support them because I like iOS and how all my products work seamlessly together. Thing is I am not a fan of some of the business decisions they make, but I can only control so much.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Still rocking an original X, and other than it getting warm when I use it a bit, it’s totally fine. I won’t be upgrading again this year,
maybe next year. I’ll just lower my contract instead for a bit :)

That said, give me that ios13 dark mode goodness shame it’s black and not dark, as that always looks really bad to my eyes :(

dorkimoe

Ready for the carplay update

Love my xs max but tempted to go with the middle tier one this time around for smaller size. But I’m so used to my max, undecided

Top Bottom