• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 11 Event: Sept 10, 2019

V2Tommy

Yeah, Pro Max 256 silver, upgrading from an X 256. Got in pretty early in the morning but was hit with October 1st-4th estimated delivery (not a big deal).

Damn, I got exactly the same Pro Max 256 silver and it’s already “preparing for shipment” but certainly won’t arrive early.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
In doing some reading I am seeing now that the regular 11 screen is actually bigger then my 6s+ screen since it doesn’t have any bezel eating up screen space. I am thinking about getting one now. My main concern with upgrading was I thought I would need the Pro Max to match my current screen size, which would be really expensive.

My only concern now is 5g is coming soon. How are you all handling that? I would hate to upgrade now then 5g gets pushed out in a year and makes everything much faster.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
In doing some reading I am seeing now that the regular 11 screen is actually bigger then my 6s+ screen since it doesn’t have any bezel eating up screen space. I am thinking about getting one now. My main concern with upgrading was I thought I would need the Pro Max to match my current screen size, which would be really expensive.

My only concern now is 5g is coming soon. How are you all handling that? I would hate to upgrade now then 5g gets pushed out in a year and makes everything much faster.

I wouldn't rush to get a phone with 5G. The coverage is still extremely thin, and it won't necessarily be much better by September 2020. That and the leap isn't going to be as noticeable as it was with LTE. I say get a phone you'll enjoy now and worry about adopting 5G in, say, 2021.

CyberPanda

Banned

CyberPanda

Banned
iPhone 11 Review Roundup: Improved Camera, Battery Life, and Performance Result in the iPhone for 'Just About Everybody'

The iPhone 11 is set to launch this Friday, September 20, and in advance of that release date the first reviews for the smartphone have begun appearing online. Apple has provided review units of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max to media outlets, but this article will focus only on the iPhone 11 and you can check out our separate iPhone 11 Pro review roundup right here.

As the lower-cost device, the iPhone 11 lacks some of the hardware and software features of the Pro line, but numerous reviewers pointed out that the line between the 11 and the 11 Pro has blurred even more this year. In short, this will likely be the iPhone that is the best choice for most customers this season.

Wired echoed many of these sentiments, calling it the iPhone for "just about everybody" and applauding the smartphone's camera upgrade, solid battery life, low cost, and the speed of the A13 Bionic processor. The site particularly appreciated Apple's no-nonsense UI design for the camera app, pointing out how this improves the camera as a whole, even if it might not be as good as others on the market.

It would be a stretch to say that the camera on the iPhone 11 has wowed me or has set a new standard that other phone makers will have to race to match. The iPhone 11 Pro, with its funky three-lens camera module on the back, is noticeably better. But one area where Apple deserves credit is in the overall packaging of its camera features and the design of the app’s interface.

Smartphones are now cluttered with so many features that it can be hard to figure out what’s what, which can actively discourage people from trying all the newfangled things. On many premium Android phones, for example, the wide-angle icon is a cluster of—trees? When you select the Pro mode on Samsung’s Galaxy Note10+, there are no fewer than 17 photo options available, some of which cut into the frame of the viewfinder.
Ultimately, Wired noted that the iPhone 11 is an impressive device but Apple hasn't done anything innovative with the base model iPhone this year. The site pointed out last-generation LCD technology, the lack of an in-display fingerprint sensor, and other features, but still described the iPhone 11 as a "very good phone" that will have more than enough features to sway people to upgrade.

The Verge kicked off its review by stating simply, "the iPhone 11 is the phone most people who are upgrading to a new iPhone this year should get." The site particularly liked the iPhone 11's camera upgrade, including the ultra-wide lens and Night Mode. With the upgrades, The Verge said that the iPhone 11 goes so far as to make photos taken on the iPhone X "look downright bad."

So, is it worth upgrading to the iPhone 11? If you’ve got an iPhone older than the XR and you’re looking to upgrade, I think the answer is yes. The camera is substantially improved, and you will get vastly better battery life than anything aside from a XR. That’s what most people care about, and Apple has really delivered here.

I’d only spend the extra money on the iPhone 11 Pro if you really care about the display. I don’t think you’re missing out on much by not having a telephoto camera lens, to be honest. I personally care quite a bit about displays, so I’m getting a Pro, but I think most people will be very happy with the iPhone 11.
Engadget discussed the display quality on the iPhone 11, pointing out that its LCD display is the same one found in last year's iPhone XR. While this is a lower quality display compared to the OLED in the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, "in day-to-day use, the differences don't matter," according to the site.

Engadget also favors the 6.1-inch display size of the iPhone 11, calling it the sweet spot between the too-small 5.8-inch iPhone 11 Pro and large 6.5-inch iPhone 11 Pro Max. The site also commended the iPhone 11's battery life, which lasted close to 17 hours on average.
In some ways, the iPhone 11 is subject to the same fundamental shortcomings as the XR: It has one less camera than Apple's more-premium models, and its screen isn't nearly as nice. To that, I say, "Big whoop."

The one thought that stuck in my head during my testing was that the gulf in functionality between this phone and the Pros has become surprisingly narrow. There are advantages to splurging on the Pros, but after getting a feel for what the iPhone 11 is capable of, those benefits won't always justify spending the extra $300. Like I said before, the iPhone 11 is the best new iPhone for most people, and it's unquestionably the one I would buy for myself.
More iPhone 11 reviews can be found online: TechCrunch, Pocket-lint, The Wall Street Journal, CNET, and Tech Radar.

iPhone 11 Pro Review Roundup: Significant Camera Advancements and Excellent Battery Life

iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max reviews are in. The consensus is that the devices are quite familiar and relatively iterative updates as a whole, but with significant advancements to cameras and battery life.

Battery Life

Apple claims that the iPhone 11 Pro has up to four hours longer battery life than the iPhone XS, and that the larger iPhone 11 ProMax lasts up to five hours longer than the iPhone XS Max, and reviews support those figures.

Engadget's Chris Velazco says the iPhone 11 Pro lasted nearly 12 hours per charge, up from 9-9.5 hours with the iPhone XS:
When I tested the brand-new XS last year, it would run for between 9 to 9.5 hours off a single charge on days with heavy use. This year, the smaller Pro dealt with the same general workloads and lasted for closer to 12 hours before needing a charge. The larger Pro Max, meanwhile, routinely stuck around for between 13 to 14 hours on a single charge, compared to the 11 to 12 hours I squeezed out of the iPhone XS Max.
The Verge's Nilay Patel says his iPhone 11 Pro Max has consistently lasted 12-14 hours, up from 8-10 hours with the iPhone XSMax:
So the best I can tell you is that Apple has historically been good about meeting its battery life claims, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max I've been using every day for a week has consistently run for 12 to 14 hours on a single charge, with over 10 hours of screen-on time reported in the battery settings per 24-hour period.

That's compared to 8 to 10 hours of battery life at most for my iPhone XS Max, which is a marked improvement. It's not enough to make me stop charging at my desk throughout the day, and I'll definitely still carry a battery pack on trips. But it's a big bump, and it's better than most Android phones we've tested.
Cameras and Night Mode

iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max models share the same triple-lens rear camera system with a new ultra-wide-angle sensor complementing the existing wide-angle and telephoto lenses on last year's high-end models.

Patel believes the iPhone 11 Pro models have "the best smartphone camera on the market right now":
It appears Apple took all of those criticisms to heart because the iPhone 11 Pro cameras are an enormous improvement over the XS, and they beat the Pixel and Samsung’s Galaxy Note 10 Plus in most of our side-by-side comparisons. In fact, I think the iPhone 11 Pro is the best smartphone camera on the market right now.
Mashable's Raymond Wong believes that the iPhone 11 lineup's new low-light Night Mode, activated automatically when necessary, is both better and more convenient than the similar Night Sight mode on Google's latest Pixel smartphones:
Sure, Google did night mode first, but the feature is more intuitive on the iPhone 11 Pro. On a Pixel, a spinning exposure ring blocks the entire viewfinder while you're holding still, but on the iPhone 11 Pro, you can see in real time an exposure getting brighter as the timer counts down.

And the iPhone 11 Pro's night mode also produces better photos in my opinion — sharper details from corner to corner, and better tones and contrast to preserve a scene's mood. Whereas night mode on other phones brighten a scene to the point it looks artificial or flat, the iPhone 11 Pro's night mode more delicately balances the light and dark areas in both the foreground and background.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of Night Mode on the iPhone 11 Pro and Night Sight on Google's Pixel 3 from The Verge:

iphone-11-pro-night-mode-comparison-800x521.jpg

iPhone 11 Pro on left, Pixel 3 on right

Design

TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino says the iPhone 11 Pro's new Midnight Green color actually looks more like dark gray in most lighting conditions:
The green looks nearly nothing like any of the photographs I've seen of it on Apple’s site.

In person, the Deep Green is reads as dark grey in anything but the most direct indoor light. Outdoors, the treated stainless band has an "80's Mall Green" hue that I actually really like. The back also opens up quite a bit, presenting as far more forest green than it does inside. Overall, though, this is a very muted color that is pretty buttoned up. It sits comfortably alongside neutral-to-staid colors like the Space Gray, Silver and Gold.

Panzarino adds that the new matte glass casing makes the iPhone 11 Pro models grippier than the glossy-backed iPhone XS models:
I'm happy to report that the iPhone 11 Pro's matte finish back increases the grippyness of the phone on its own. The smooth back of the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XS always required a bit of finger oil to get into a condition where you could reliably pivot them with one hand going in and out of a pocket.
As Wired's Lauren Goode notes, all three iPhone 11 models have what Apple claims is the most durable glass on any iPhone:
All three new iPhones have what Apple claims is the most durable glass on any iPhone. However, the back of the Pro phones have a textured and less slippery matte finish, and it's one that I prefer, given my track record for shattering phones. The Pro phones also come in colors that are more understated than the iPhone 11's pastels, contributing to the gravitas of the Pro's.
More Reviews

iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max models are available to pre-order in the United States and many other countries, with deliveries to customers and in-store availability beginning Friday, September 20.

Ten_Fold

I might grab the 11, but my iPhone 8+ is doing ok, I might wait for the 2020 iPhone to see if they offer a big upgrade that year hmmm.

greyshark

Battery sizes for the new models:

iPhone 11: 3,046 mAh (2942 XR)
iPhone 11 Pro: 3110 mAh (2658 XS)
iPhone 11 Pro Max: 3969 mAh (3174 XS Max)

Quite the bump on the Pro models, explains the early returns we're seeing on battery life.

CyberPanda

Banned

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...

Battery sizes for the new models:

iPhone 11: 3,046 mAh (2942 XR)
iPhone 11 Pro: 3110 mAh (2658 XS)
iPhone 11 Pro Max: 3969 mAh (3174 XS Max)

Quite the bump on the Pro models, explains the early returns we're seeing on battery life.
iPhone 11 got shafted? I don't understand how a smaller, lighter phone can have a larger battery. Unless the OLED display takes much less space than LCD, now that it is unburdened from 3D Touch.

TTOOLL

I've never had an iPhone and I'm waiting for my S7 to die so I can jump ship. After I bought my Mac I believe this is the right choice and iOS has really matured to the point I prefer it over Android. However, this event made me decide to buy the iPhone 8 lol, a downgrade in some aspects but whatever, I just use my phone for a few basic tasks nowadays. I can't justify the insane prices here in Brazil.
Also, I just can't take the notch and certainly next year will have new versions without it so let's wait.

Last edited:

greyshark

iPhone 11 got shafted? I don't understand how a smaller, lighter phone can have a larger battery. Unless the OLED display takes much less space than LCD, now that it is unburdened from 3D Touch.

This year’s models are thicker which could be why they were able to fit larger batteries. Not sure why the 11 didn’t get a similar bump as the Pro models.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I ended up preordering a regular 11 128gb from Best Buy's website tonight. I can pick it up tomorrow. Do the headphones that come with it fit in the phone or do I have to buy a special adapter? This will be my first phone without the regular headphone jack.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I ended up preordering a regular 11 128gb from Best Buy's website tonight. I can pick it up tomorrow. Do the headphones that come with it fit in the phone or do I have to buy a special adapter? This will be my first phone without the regular headphone jack.

Yeah, they'll connect to the lightning port.

CyberPanda

Banned

Apple Says A13 Bionic Chip Was Designed With Performance-Per-Watt Focus

Mistake

My ios 13 downloaded on itunes, but it wouldn’t install this morning. Then when I tried on my phone it said 13 hours so.... maybe later

Mistake

Well I got 13, and I’m not too impressed. A lot of the same things I didn’t like are still in, such as the stupid banner before you can go in videos, bluetooth and wlan not turning completely off in control center, and the music app being unchanged. Also, not being able to have custom tones is dumb, which they still haven’t added to my knowledge. I could do that over 10 years ago on most phones. At least there is dark mode and fonts. Oh, and lock orientation still only does vertical

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Got an email from Best Buy saying my phone was ready. Stopped in and they didn’t have it. They said check back later since they are getting another drop off of phones in the afternoon. Why send an email saying it was ready then.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Called Best Buy this afternoon and the guy said it was in and he was looking at it. Went to Best Buy and they said they didn’t have it. Eventually they found someone incorrectly stuck it behind customer service with all the general preorders. Then it took over an hour to activate due to Verizon issues. We were on hold with Verizon for around 40 minutes until we got through for them to correct it. AT&T activation was completely down and they had to tell people to come back later.

Anywho, once I got it restoring from backup has everything set up like my old phone. I just need to sync my mp3 files over later. The phone feels a lot faster then my old one. Not having a home button is kind of weird.

I bought an Otterbox case but don’t like it too much. My old phone had a leather case but I didn’t see one like that at BB. May hit up the Apple Store tomorrow and see if they have one. The Otterbox feels too stiff.

Wireless charging is awesome. I grabbed two pads.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
For a phone that's damned good Chittagong Chittagong . Moderate detail, good sensor noise suppression.

Yeah this is *really* good. Those weren’t elaborate or considered images, just quick snaps when out for dinner.

I haven’t been this excited about low light since Lumia 1020. I think some of the same engineers have done this, in fact.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My wife got an 11 Pro and, yeah, the camera is kind of crazy. I know it's not exclusive to iPhone, but this kind of low-light photography being so seamless and instantaneous despite the tiny sensor size is nuts. Combine that with having access to 3 really useful focal lengths (16mm, 26mm, 52mm) and all of the portrait mode shit, and it's really just not possible to recommend a dedicated camera to anyone who doesn't want to get serious about photography and photo editing, etc.

CyberPanda

Banned

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I always had an android phone and my lg g6 could use an upgrade... I was thinking about trying out iphone 11 but i've learned there is no more 3d touch and it's really cool on iphone x my cooworker has. Besides - iphone 11 (base version) costs about the same as galaxy note 10

Top Bottom