• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE (2020) |OT| The Last Unicorn

What color iPhone SE are YOU getting?

• Black

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • White

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • (Product) Red

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

HUELEN10

When the last eagle flies over the last crumbling mountain

And the last lion roars at the last dusty fountain

In the shadow of the forest

though she may be old and worn

They will stare

unbelieving

at the last unicorn...

opnejuz.png

Basic Deets
  • US Release Date: April 24, 2020
  • Price: Starting at 399 USD
  • Colors: Black, White, and (Product) Red; all variants have a black-bezeled front.
  • Capacity: 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB
Welcome to the iPhone SE (2020) OT, where Apple's best value in years shines! I"m your host HUELEN10, and like last time, I'll be taking you through the ins and outs of Apple's latest smaller variant phone. This phone may not look like much, but looks can be deceiving. Take a closer look and you may find out that the old gray mare is not what she seems...

Specs
  • Weight: 148 Grams
  • Chip: A13 Bionic (Same A13 as the iPhone 11 Pro!)
  • Memory: 3-4GBs of RAM (Will be updated in coming days once geek bench comes in)
  • Battery: 1821 mAh Li-Po, with battery life comparably to iPhone 8
  • Touch ID: Gen 2 (Same as iPhone 8)
  • Pixel Density: 326 PPI
  • Resolution: 1334 x 750
  • DIsplay: P3 IPS panel with True Tone
  • iSight Camera: 12 Megapixel wide camera with ƒ/1.8 aperture and OIS (Same as iPhone XR)
  • Facetime Camera: 7 Megapixel (same as iPhone 8)
  • Water/Dust resistance: Rated IP67
  • Charging: Wireless or lightning, with fast-charging as an option
What does this all mean? Well, it may look like a design that came out in 2014, but don't let those looks deceive you. iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max scream when it comes to performance. One thing that tends to be the case in iOS devices is that handsets that use the same processor, but push fewer pixels, perform better, and even age better. The 2016 iPhone SE to this day runs smoothly, smoother than other members of the A9 family. Don't expect this to be different. Again, I'll update once the Geekbench results come in.

Why would anyone want this?

It's not as simple to answer as it once was, but let's talk about this...

For one, some people still just love smaller phones and for the past 2 years, Apple's current line has only catered phablets ranging in size to beefy to RAGING PHONER. Some people do just want a phone. While this handset is the old "medium" size, it's the current small, in a class design... possibly the last current iPhone we ever see with a home button and no notch: the last unicorn. So size, while no longer as versatile as the previous SE, is still a reason to get this.

Another reason is keeping things subtle. Not everyone wants to show off their phone, and having the latest and fastest handset Apple has released look like a 2014 handset is in itself a good test deterrent. Not only that, but that means you can get cases and screen protectors cheap cheap cheap! Ordered a glass screen protector and case already, less than 20 dollars shipped.

Value is another great reason. At 399 USD for a 64GB unit and just 50 dollars more, not 100, but 50 dollars more for a 128 GB unit, that's one of Apple's better deals in quite some time. You're getting a screen every bit as sharp as any modern iPhone with an IPS panel, with the power of Apple's iPhone 11's chip, with iPhone XR's solid camera. 399 vs a grand just to get the same performance in a similar size. Which leads to possibly the best reason to get this...

Playing the long game: Some iPhones and chipsets age very gracefully. The A9 series might really be getting long in the tooth this fall, but it's still kicking. the A10 is still being used in iPod touch and the latest iPad, so expect it to be supported for some time, and this A13? considering how many current devices use the A12, it feels like this is the next iPhone that you can play the long game with, keep it 3, 4 even 5 years, and with proper care and possible battery swaps when needed, and have it serve you well for the long haul. Lot os people, even people here on NeoGAF have stated that with the status of the world, the phone should be the last thing on your mind... but that's not true.

It's not 2008 anymore. People need to communicate, people need their most personal computer to get stuff done. For work, for applying for assistance, for everything. If you have an iPhone 7 or newer, keep it... it's still has legs. If you don't, then consider this phone. Think about it and think about the price. Can you get a cheaper phone? Possibly, lots of solid android handsets out there, but will they last? Will they age well? Will they retain value? When you consider need, value, performance, and aging... it's hard to ignore the simple fact that for many people, this is THE iPhone to get. It's priced well, it will age well for those that want to use it for another long haul, and there is no better tech tool right now for a connected world. If it's not for you, that's fine. If you are in the market for a good, long-lasting phone though, this one definitely deserves your consideration.

This is not a phone for everyone, but it's a phone for me, and maybe some of you too.

Is the SE worth it? Wrong question. The question you should be asking is, when comparing there rest of the iPhone lineup, are the other models worth it?

How Can I Get One?

Pre-Orders Start in a matter of hours! Historically, 8 AM Eastern on the 17th. You can try buying it at https://www.apple.com but it's always been best historically to do it through the iOS Apple Store App. If you are pre-ordering through Apple make sure you have all your payment/shipping info updated on our Apple ID NOW to save a headache later. Apple Card users get interest-free installments and 3 percent cash back. Additionally, Carriers have their own options. All Apple.com sold phones are unlocked with the exception of AT&T handsets.

Look and see her

how she sparkles

it's the last unicorn...

Last edited:

HUELEN10

For those in the market for screen protectors, for the short time I had an iPhone 6, I liked this style of protector the best, which is what I ordered for this phone.

The nice thing is since it goes over the screen itself, there's no annoying rainbow effect at the edge. I've used these with speck cases before, and it fits like a glove.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I sure wish this came in a Plus variant, too. I can't go back to this size and resolution after all these years. I'll be sticking with my 7 Plus for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

HUELEN10

I sure wish this came in a Plus variant, too. I can't go back this size and resolution after all these years. I'll be sticking with my 7 Plus for now.
7 Plus should still serve you well for a while, but I can totally get where you're coming from. big phone, no notch... 2021 might get you the options you are looking for if rumors and trends are to be believed.

Anki

Banned
I am still using iPhone6s and its running great but I find it a little bit on a large side, was hoping for a smaller phone. Hopefully (if the rumors are correct) next iphone 12 will have a smaller body than SE. If not then I might get SE.

Tesseract

Banned
might get one, had an iphone in 2009 then switched to android and never looked back

i miss some of the games on the store, especially ghosts n goblins

makaveli60

I've been using iPhones since 2012 and don't intend to change since Android sucks insanely IMO and there is no alternative OS. However, the notch also sucks so I think this will be my next phone. I've been using an iPhone 7 since 2017 so the design is disappointing and boring now but since I have no better choice I will have to accept it. Big plus for me are that there is Touch ID instead of Face ID and that there is no 5G. My iPhone 7 is still good but 32 GB is very small now, it's very difficult now to manage it. I was thinking about buying an iPhone 8 later with a larger memory so this option is better than that since I will also enjoy they huge speed difference. Now I just have to wait for the things to normalize in the world and have spare money to spend on it.

Mirror XT8

Neo Member
the 128gb model is 830 au $. i thought this was going to be a budget phone? thanks but no thanks mr tim cook. just to compare to the actual "budget" iphone se (2016) started from 550Au$ from my recollections.

eot

Banned
Just wish these fucking things had a 3.5mm jack. I use my headphones with my phone every single day, I'm doing it right now even

HUELEN10

Okay, this is the most satisfying ad Apple has made in ages...

The only thing left out is him smelling the box. "pie_tears_joy:

Last edited:

God Enel

beautiful thread HUELEN10 HUELEN10 . I'm on a XS Max so I don't need and I hope it's one serve me some more years until the notch is gone :)
And I'm happy they're still using Touch ID. Hope it's gonna come to the "big" phones as well at some point

I would've gotten this if I hadn't already bought the 8 last December. So far I love it, especially the built-in editing options for photos and videos. In any case, it's unlikely I'll go back to Android after witnessing adware, absurd heating and sudden battery death.

Dural

Reviews came out today.

makaveli60

You might es well watch a iPhone 7 to iPhone 11 comparison. It’s the same processor clocked exactly the same.
Will do, but theoretically the iPhone SE should be even faster than the iPhone 11 because of the fewer pixels it has.

HUELEN10

Still waiting for geek bench... and my unit! I might run a geekbench myself, on both 1st and 2nd gen SE units.

chitzy

Banned
Thinking about grabbing one. Currently have a Galaxy S8+ and I'm pretty over it at this point, battery has gone to shit and no more OS updates coming. I've been wanting to go back to Apple's ecosystem for a while, mainly so I can use an Apple Watch, and this seems like a good chance to do so. Only concern is if I'll be able to adjust to using a smaller screen again. Hmm.

Also really miss having iMessage functionality.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

That design should have been left in the past, if samsung pulled that stunt they would have been crucified

Yeah, it's a great device with great performance, good camera and ok battery. The design tho... My GF has an iPhone 7 and she wants to upgrade, when she saw this she said hell no.

HUELEN10

I’ll take theft deterent With cheap and readily available accessories over flashy design any day. That’s just me tho.

No one is gonna bother you or steal from you if it looks like you’re holding a nearly 7 year old design, right?

chitzy

Banned
That design should have been left in the past, if samsung pulled that stunt they would have been crucified
Reusing the same design (and thus not having to invest the resources in going through the R&D process all over again and engineering a new phone) is why they're able to sell it at such a low price point. Given that this a $400 phone with an A13 chip, that means there is a $400 phone available from Apple that, in terms of performance, obliterates all of the high-end $1k+ offerings from Samsung, LG, etc. Sure, the design might be off-putting to some, but the value proposition here is sky high and something we have never seen before in the phone market.

Here's some benches:

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
An iphone from 5 years ago is literally as good as iphones today, not that I don't believe in upgrading. This new iPhone 11 Pro Max I got works for me, the screen is so good it should make people freak out over it cracking from a fall.

eot

Banned
Serious question, what do you guys use your phones for that you give so much of a shit about the CPU? I mean, I'll probably end up buying this thing so I don't mind it being fast, but I doubt I'll notice.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Wish this would have been out a few months back when my 6s battery shit the bed for the third time in as many years and I bought an 11. I'm not a power user so this would have been ideal, but I needed a new iPhone and wanted something I'd get years out of like I did the 6s so I didn't want one of the cheaper older models or to blow money on a 6s battery again.

HUELEN10

Serious question, what do you guys use your phones for that you give so much of a shit about the CPU? I mean, I'll probably end up buying this thing so I don't mind it being fast, but I doubt I'll notice.
Honestly? Encoding and rendering on the go. But while that's a plus for me, future proofing is the more important reason. This thing is going to age well, very gracefully. Looking at past cycles, 3-4 years minimum, at beginning of 4th year, only then will it start feeling long in the tooth.

Going to run geek-bench later tonight, and update some finding. White phone real is pretty.

UPDATE: I’ve been unwell, give me time please.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: eot

SpartanN92

Banned
In my store we were sent 4 and we’ve sold all 4 of them between yesterday and today. Not bad especially considering how poor traffic has been.

Reactions: eot

Ememee

I’d been sticking with a janky 6S I had had for a while, messed up battery, etc..I’m not efficient with technology, phones and the hoo-hah, so this seemed perfect for me. Got the red edition. Love it.

Top Bottom