• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

bl2ddt2.png

Basic Deets
  • US Release Date: March 31, 2016
  • Price: Starting at 399 USD
  • Colors: Space Gray & Black, Rose Gold & White, Gold & White, Silver & White
  • Capacity: 16 GB or 64 GB

Welcome to the iPhone SE OT, where big things come in small packages! Apple is taking a big step for small with the release of this phone, because it's not just last year's phone repackaged like the 5C was at its time, this is a premium 4-inch handset, one that is even ever-so-slightly better performing than the 6S!

SPECS

• Weight: 113 Grams
  • Chip: A9 (Same A9 on the 6S!)
  • Memory: 2GBs of RAM (YES IT'S TRUE!)
  • Battery: 1642 mAh Li-Po
  • Touch ID: Gen 1 (Same as 5S)
  • Pixel Density: 326 PPI
  • Resolution: 1136 x 640
  • iSight Camera: 12 Megapixel Dual-Tone LED w/4K Video Recording (Same as non-Plus 6S)
  • Facetime Camera: 1.2 Megapixel (same as 6)

In other words, this is a 6S in the body of a refined 5S, without a barometer, no 3D Touch, and the FaceTime camera of a 6, yet slightly beefier in benchmarks. For the first time ever, Apple has a current model of iPhone that only slightly varies in features in small, medium, and large; now there really is a latest and greatest iPhone for you, regardless of size!

Why would anyone want this?
It's quite simple...
UEkj2jB.png

Bigger is not always better. Maybe you want something that fits better in your purse or bag, or like lightweight 1-handed design, or simply don't NEED a big screen, or want the savings of simply not having for. Whatever the reason, and even though little phone fans aren't as great in number as larger phone fans, Apple knows we exists, that's why they made the iPhone 6S Mini iPhone SE. For anyone that doesn't have a 6S and wants a smaller screen, this is no-brainer upgrade. Additionally, because all iPhone 5/5S cases and protectors are compatible, you can score great savings on a case for your new phone. I just got a glass screen protector and wallet case in preparation for it for 15 bucks, and places like Walmart and Best Buy tend to have tons of great 5 cases in their clearance racks.

How Can I Get One?

Pre-Orders Start in a matter of hours! Historically, it's been at around 3 AM Eastern, so expect it to be as early as 3 AM Eastern on March 23rd. You can try buying it at https://www.apple.com but it's always been best historically to do it through the iOS Apple Store App. If you are pre-ordering through Apple make sure you have all your payment/shipping info updated on our Apple ID NOW to save a headache later. Additionally, Carriers have their own options. Copy/pasting from Macworld because I don't want to flub this up.

AT&T
AT&T doesn’t do contracts anymore, but it does have AT&T Next installment plans in a variety of options when preorders start at 12:01 a.m. Pacific/3:01 a.m. Eastern on Thursday.

With a $15 activation fee, you can upgrade to an iPhone SE for no money down by choosing an AT&T Next 12, 18, or 24 plan (which means you can upgrade to another new phone after 12, 18, or 24 payments). AT&T Next 12 requires 20 payments of $19.94, Next 18 is 24 payments of $16.63, and Next 24 is 30 payments of $13.30. Those payment plans are for the 16GB model of the iPhone SE.
Sprint
Sprint is coming in a minute early, with preorders starting at midnight tonight for West Coasters (that’s 3 a.m. for East Coast folks).

With a 2-year contract, the 16GB iPhone SE is free. Free! The full price is $400. Want to go with an installment plan? That’ll cost you $0 up front and $16.67 a month for 24 months.
Verizon
Verizon plans to kick off online preorders at the same time as Apple: 12:01 a.m. Pacific/3:01 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. The carrier is offering the phone for $0 down and either $16.66 or $20.83 a month for 24 months for qualified customers—the higher price is for the 64GB iPhone SE.
T-Mo
T-Mobile CEO John Legere tweeted that the self-proclaimed “uncarrier” will open up preorders for the SE on Thursday morning at 5:00 a.m. Pacific/8:00 a.m. Eastern. No pricing details are available yet.

Remember, it's hip to be square!

A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)?
It's a reference to a prior phone Cupertino made and this iMac promo.

PS: No, there is not already an OT. In fact, the fake OT's OP has given me full-go ahead on this.

Here's to a smooth pre-order... for once!

HUELEN10

Just FYI, the capacity for the phones are 16 GB, and 64 GB. There's no 32 GB version. :)

Yeah, I know... can't believe I missed it! Thanks for the correction.

I am surprised of no 128 GB option... I mean, the 6th get iPod Touch has it as an option.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The 6S, 6, and 5S all did... why would this iPhone be different?

And you're damned straight I am buying this thing; it's good enough to switch cycles for in my eyes.

Either Silver or Space Gray 64GB for me... Day ONE.
Don't do it!

I always just saw this thing as a beefed up iPhone 5S. Didn't seem that big of a deal to get a OT, but apparently people here are interested in it.

HUELEN10

BTW, for those in the market for one, this is the screen protector I got; I've had great luck with these over the years. As for cases, that's really up to you, but get them NOW while thew getting's good so you don't pay more for re-releases with iPhone SE branding on them.
Don't do it!

I always just saw this thing as a beefed up iPhone 5S. Didn't seem that big of a deal to get a OT, but apparently people here are interested in it.
Don't think about it as a beefed up 5S, think about it as a slightly beefier 1-handed 6S.
The OP has given me the go-ahead and their blessing; it was not a serious OT, just a thread. Mods are aware.

I'm curious to see how this does for Apple. I can't imagine the battery will do to well on this either.

Personally, this phone is way to small for me. I can one hand my 6S+ fine and I prefer phablets with a bigger battery and screen. I can see the appeal of a smaller phone for others though.

HUELEN10

Does the iPhone or other apps use the barometer for anything clever that might not be obvious?
For many of us, it won't make a difference, but for those that live in areas with lots of elevation differences, it's better for activity tracking since it doesn't have to rely as much on the m9 and GPS. Honestly, to most of us, it's a very minor thing. Personally, I am a Florida Man (not THAT Florida Man), so in Florida, it makes no difference. YMMV.
Overall, disappointed in the lack of 3D Touch and 128GB option, but very interested nonetheless.
Lack of 3D Touch is to be expected, but no 128 GB was a surprise to me.

For many of us, it won't make a difference, but for those that live in areas with lots of elevation differences, it's better for activity tracking since it doesn't have to rely as much on the m9 and GPS. Honestly, to most of us, it's a very minor thing. Personally, I am a Florida Man (not THAT Florida Man), so in Florida, it makes no difference. YMMV.

Lack of 3D Touch is to be expected, but no 128 GB was a surprise to me.

Yeah, I know the lack of 3D Touch has been known for months, but even the iPod Touch has a 128GB option.

HUELEN10

What are we missing by using the older Touch ID tech compared to the newer tech? Honest question, as I genuinely don't know.

Touch ID Gen 2 is like instant-fast. If you DON'T have a 6S, you will not know what you are missing, so for most of us, it's not gonna be a big deal. it's one of those "ignorance is bliss" things. If you MUST have a smaller phone and already have a 6S, you have a touch choice ahead of you.

Touch ID Gen 2 is like instant-fast. If you DON'T have a 6S, you will not know what you are missing, so for most of us, it's not gonna be a big deal. it's one of those "ignorance is bliss" things. If you MUST have a smaller phone and already have a 6S, you have a touch choice ahead of you.
I had an iPhone 6 for a year, and honestly never really used it for fingerprint unlocking, so I probably wouldn't miss it at all? Is the Touch ID tech present in the iPhone SE the same one that was present in the iPhone 6?

Also, man that pun at the end. Hahaha

Persona7

Banned
am i the only one blinded by the red text on a dark background? it's also extremely hard to read. also the release date is next week? I thought OT threads were supposed to go up one day prior.

Thinking about switching from my 6S+ but I wanted 128GB.

HUELEN10

Potentially the best phone Apple has ever produced.

Performance-wise, it IS the best phone Apple has ever produced.

Price-to-spec, it is also the best phone Apple has ever produced.

Usability wise, it is 1 and 2 hand friendly for all.

Design-wise, it's edgy and refined from a shape that was iconic.

We all have preferences and different needs, but as far as I'm concerned, this is the best handset Apple has ever made. Very few compromises. I was honestly expecting a rounded 6c/last year's phone type of thing, but they completely surprised me.

HUELEN10

For those not in the know, yes the design is tweaked. The whole body is satin-polished, the logo on the back is stainless steel, and the edges are matte-milled. It truly is a refinement of the awesome 5 design (well, 5S due to Touch ID).

dmr87

Can't believe that they still push 16GB as the entry model instead of 32GB. Stop being stubborn and greedy, you have infinite money. Yes, I get by with my 16GB model but come on now.

Features not in the OP that the iPhone SE also lacks compared to the 6s series:
* 800:1 contrast ratio screen instead of the 6s's 1400:1 screen
* no LTE Advanced
* no 2nd-gen Touch ID
* no Taptic Engine

I want this phone so badly. Finally, a powerful, premium phone in 2016 that is also compact (Sonys best attempts notwithstanding)

I'll be switching from a 6s, and the only dissapoinents for me is that it's not carrier agnostic, and not part of the Apple upgrade program. I'm 6 months in on the upgrade program for my 6s, but it sounds like I can't take advantage of the "pay off to 12 months to upgrade early", to get the SE, so I might be stuck waiting for awhile. Unless someone has found a way around this?

HUELEN10

I want this phone so badly. Finally, a powerful, premium phone in 2016 that is also compact (Sonys best attempts notwithstanding)

I'll be switching from a 6s, and the only dissapoinents for me is that it's not carrier agnostic, and not part of the Apple upgrade program. I'm 6 months in on the upgrade program for my 6s, but it sounds like I can't take advantage of the "pay off to 12 months to upgrade early", to get the SE, so I might be stuck waiting for awhile. Unless someone has found a way around this?
Why not simply get someone to buy your 6S? It's under warranty, and you could get them to buy you an SE!

Also, due to you being on a 6S and wanting an SE, obligatory...

My GF recently got a 6s and is debating selling it to get this + pocket cash, but I really want to see some battery tests first. That is a pathetically small battery.

jax

Banned

Could always sell the 6S for around $650 (?) then pay off the remaining $550 or so and put the remaining $99 toward the SE. Lower monthly plan as well

Why not simply get someone to buy your 6S? It's under warranty, and you could get them to buy you an SE!

Like an under the table sale of my Apple upgrade contract? Technically right now I don't own the phone, so isn't that illegal? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I could pay it off in full, then sell it to cover some of that cost, but that would still cost me $300 before I even bought the SE.

I was hoping I could just pay off the next 6 months and "upgrade" to the SE, but if I'm reading Apple.com correctly, the SE isn't eligible for that.

HUELEN10

Like an under the table sale of my Apple upgrade contract? Technically right now I don't own the phone, so isn't that illegal? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

I could pay it off in full, then sell it to cover some of that cost, but that would still cost me $300 before I even bought the SE.

I was hoping I could just pay off the next 6 months and "upgrade" to the SE, but if I'm reading Apple.com correctly, the SE isn't eligible for that.

I didn't mean to imply anything seedy. Truthfully, I am a little ignorant of the Apple upgrade program. It wouldn't hurt to ask an Apple rep at this stage, like, if you can "pay off" the current phone or something like that though.

Jin

Features not in the OP that the iPhone SE also lacks compared to the 6s series:
* 800:1 contrast ratio screen instead of the 6s's 1400:1 screen
* no LTE Advanced
* no 2nd-gen Touch ID
* no Taptic Engine

Damn I really wanted the SE, but it's missing so much feature. I've been using 6+ and I never want to buy another phone that big.

Fresh outta basic military training, I upgraded from a 5S to a 6S and it arrived the day the SE was announced...

If only I had known. Would've saved a nice penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom