• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is in talks to buy EA

Stuart360

Bit surprised by some of the responces here. I mean i know many of you 'hate' EA, but you realize Apple buying them could relegate all future EA games to some streaming platform or something, and not released on Xbox and Playstation.
Of course that may not happen but it certainly could do. Thats part of the reason why i have always said i dont mind Microsoft buying up publsihers (and to a lesser extent Sony) because the games will still be released as traditional games, and released on at least Xbox and PC, if not everything.

SSfox

Whatever, both trash

5e0.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember when EA was the defacto "console war winner" whoever purchased them (mainly when people talked about MS doing so in the 360 era), now, we just watch this trainwreck.

I want Microsoft to buy EA. Why? Because who wants to ever buy an EA game again. With Microsoft, all their games will be included in a gamepass subscription.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I suppose EA does publish a lot of simple games on the App Store, and the catalog of lucrative annual sports games and Sims 4 add-ons would be attractive for anyone, but I am struggling to figure out why Apple or Disney would actually want to buy the entire company outright. Especially now, in 2022. I can count the amount of certifiably good games EA has developed and/or published in the last ten years on one hand (aside from sports games, I don't play those). The PS360 days were a long, long time ago by industry reckoning.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Apple and gaming together, is top of my list of nightmares..

Last edited:

anothertech

Apples forays into gaming are for the most part null, so I'd say this would be a dentriment as a whole.

Still waiting for those Mac ports from 1997.

Malcolm9

Hopefully Disney will get them, fuck MS hoovering up more companies to fuel Gamepass.

I actually hope down the line this will weaken EA and their grip on sports licensing. I would love far more developers making sports games across the board.

Klik

Any chance that Microsoft will aquire EA?

I must say as a PC player, what MS is doing is amazing. Gamepass+all those games coming to PC, PC gaming will have amazing future

oldergamer

Sarcasm or you got something solid?
Got something solid from some in the know. Bloomberg started this reporting and it simply was not true. No deal was made with universal that fell through. No deal has been in the works with anyone.

They MAY entertain talking to some big companies (who wouldnt) but they don't have interest in selling.

It was pure speculation that could impact stock price.

Shmunter

Got something solid from some in the know. Bloomberg started this reporting and it simply was not true. No deal was made with universal that fell through. No deal has been in the works with anyone.

They MAY entertain talking to some big companies (who wouldnt) but they don't have interest in selling.

It was pure speculation that could impact stock price.
I hope you’re not fucking with us. Good news.

Ozzie666

There once was a time EA could have had a successful console with FIFA and NFL exclusives to cover European and American markets. Not sure they have the sway anymore like they did during the Saturn and Dreamcast eras.

ToadMan

Do any of you guys stop and ask yourselves why these huge (profitable) 3rd party publishers are courting someone to purchase them suddenly?

To me it seems like they expect a crash or a recession and are liquidating to not be sitting on a pile of stuff that people can't afford when the shit hits the fan. That and the union thing probably scares the shit out of them.

It just seems very suspicious that this is going on within the past 12 months.

In the gaming industry these days - particularly the AAA side - one flop can sink a studio. Battlefield 2042 ring any bells? To be fair 2042 wasn’t the first flop - just the most recent in a declining series of games.

Then the FIFA change coming and EA offering their subscription service but also putting their games on subs.

I think EA may just feel they’re close to their peak value right now and they need more resources to avoid getting squeezed on all sides going forward.

If this news was true - which it almost certainly isn’t because not a single acquisition has been accurately predicted or even hinted at to date.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Do any of you guys stop and ask yourselves why these huge (profitable) 3rd party publishers are courting someone to purchase them suddenly?

To me it seems like they expect a crash or a recession and are liquidating to not be sitting on a pile of stuff that people can't afford when the shit hits the fan. That and the union thing probably scares the shit out of them.

It just seems very suspicious that this is going on within the past 12 months.
The games industry is traditionally seen as being recession proof, but what causes carnage is new hardware generations, raising both costs and expectations of users. The game industry saw a boom in the lockdown time in a sort of forced recession without the cash constraints where people were not able to pursue the more expensive pass times that got them out of the house. Perhaps some of it is selling when valuations are still unrealistically inflated. Perhaps also the rising costs of making games in North American studios where that sort of product is not necessarily being seen high status enough to justify the excesses. These games are, in some cases, literally being given away for free.

Any chance that Microsoft will aquire EA?

I must say as a PC player, what MS is doing is amazing. Gamepass+all those games coming to PC, PC gaming will have amazing future
That's already how it is no? EA Play is included in Gamepass Ultimate. It's been like that for about 2 years now I think.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Third times a charm?

There have been two rumours the past 10-15 years MS was going to buy EA. Never happened. Well, maybe Apple will!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I really don't care much for who would acquire them. Could it be saved? Doubt it, I can see it going the PUBG/fortnite/warzone route and milked down into a mobile publisher.

Top Bottom