• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Keynote September 14, 2021

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Why does Iphone batteries are so pathetic

Only 3095 mah for Iphone 13 that is laughable

Newer samsung and chinese phone have over 6000-7000 mah batteries with almost half the price of iphone 13
Because nobody except nerds and YT reviewers cares. Get a power bank if you really need juice.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I hated having to get a new phone every few years due to lack of support on Android. My old phone kept crashing while I was at the airport (using the app as my pass) and I just got sick of it. I picked up a used iPhone 8 in 2019 and it worked way better than the android phone I had that came out the same year. Blew my mind. Wound up getting the 12 at release and probably won't upgrade for a few years.

The Apple Watch is really what sold me on the whole thing though. I went through 3 or 4 android watches and they were all tossed within 6-months because of how terrible they were.

I had a Nexus 9 or whatever the tablet was back in the day too. The thing was unusable because of how slow it was. Just terrible all around.
This is a reason why people go for Apple- because they have other shit to do than benchmark 20 shit phones each year.

Also from a security perspective software and OS updates are a huge thing - Apple should push it more. If I was responsible for workplace security and BYOD I would weep each time some hipster brings shit Android.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I can't say I regularly play games on my iPhone, I've even cancelled my Apple Arcade subscription last year because I saw no point in it, especially with being locked in the house due to covid, thus playing games on PC or console.

Having said that, if it's something noticeable in the interface I believe I'd appreciate the extra fluidity.
I'd wait for in-store demo then. Some people have a hard time perceiving the difference between 60 and 120hz. How much it matters to each person will definitely vary.

TTOOLL

Good options if you have old shit. They updated important specs but kept the price.
I have an iPhone 11 and I see no reason to upgrade.

I’m sure we’ll see the M1 chip powering the Pro line soon.

Guided meditations are a nice easy win for Fitness+.
Group workouts are cool too but if my wife and I want to do yoga together it’s still impractical.

I will most likely get the Series 7 watch next year as my 5 has been put through the ringer

I know you’re really into fitness, why won’t you go Garmin?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I am really tempted by the iPad mini but it's hard to justify as I have a 11" 2018 Pro. It would be perfect for reading eBooks on the go and that's really hard to resist.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know you’re really into fitness, why won’t you go Garmin?

I had the Garmin Viviosport for a bit (and a Fitbit). It was okay but the app was lacking for me. Healthkit & the health app in general have been super motivating for me. The simplicity of having only the metrics I care about in the front of the app, while still having access to the insane amount of metrics was a game changer. Add in the monthly challenges the watch throws at me and I'm hooked.

I have the display on my AW set to show my rings and that gives me daily motivation to get off my ass throughout to close my stand rings, ensure I won't skip a workout each day to close the exercise ring, and lastly to ensure that workout is enough to close the goal I set on my activity ring. It is dumbed down in a way that makes the game of closing the rings engaging. And if I want complexity, it's available to me.

I also love the integration into my calorie tracker app (MyFitnessPal). If I work out hard enough, it takes those calories and gives them back to me all done seamlessly without my intervention. I can even track my protein intake (or any other metric) over long periods.

Once Fitness+ launched, I was further enamored with the capabilities of the watch. I've never paid for a fitness subscription but this is one I have no regrets about.

Add in that the watch does so much more and for me, it is the perfect device.

The Apple Watch was the one thing that made fitness a lifestyle, rather than a hobby. I know it won't work for everyone but it really has been the catalyst for long-term change for me. I 100% would recommend to anyone who has felt lackluster about fitness trackers. But do know that if you don't have the drive to get into activities, there is no guarantee the watch will magically give you desire. It's an aid not a solution.

I am more interested in what Apple has in store in general in the wellness/fitness space than any other. I would easily choose the watch as my favorite device I've owned.

Larlight

Why in the hell….. do they keep keeping that FUCKING NOTCH. Whats the science behind it?

Because current under the screen cameras don't really produce the best quality pictures. Until it does, Apple will probably keep the notch. Also, maybe it helps differentiate the iPhone from all the other products on the market?

I really want a new phone but I am also a master of delayed gratification so I will stick to my 6s Plus until they get rid of the notch and add 10x optical zoom on the Pro.
I hope by 2023 I can finally upgrade. :p

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I really want a new phone but I am also a master of delayed gratification so I will stick to my 6s Plus until they get rid of the notch and add 10x optical zoom on the Pro.
I hope by 2023 I can finally upgrade. :p
Her: What do you do for a living?
SentientStone SentientStone : I'm the Master of Delayed Gratification at Disney Theme Parks. I'd love to tell you more about it but let's discuss at a later time.

Dural

This looks like the most "meh" iphone release, barely any real upgrades. Looks like Apple's CPU dominance is slowing down too.

I care about baterry longevity man

Why stick with a 3000 batery phone when you can get a 6000-7000 batery phone with half the price

I was on Android for years and finally changed with the iphone 11, even though the battery isn't huge I've had better battery life on the iphone than any android phone I've had. Many days I don't plug my phone in at night as it hasn't drained much. Last night I was over 70% when I went to bed and two nights ago over 80. Android battery drain is horrible in standby, I would always loose a bunch overnight while sleeping while iphone barely loses anything. Android needs that large battery just to keep up.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This looks like the most "meh" iphone release, barely any real upgrades. Looks like Apple's CPU dominance is slowing down too.

I was on Android for years and finally changed with the iphone 11, even though the battery isn't huge I've had better battery life on the iphone than any android phone I've had. Many days I don't plug my phone in at night as it hasn't drained much. Last night I was over 70% when I went to bed and two nights ago over 80. Android battery drain is horrible in standby, I would always loose a bunch overnight while sleeping while iphone barely loses anything. Android needs that large battery just to keep up.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Android has better battery life.

Dural

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Android has better battery life.

Call it what you want, Android definitely seems to drain more than iOS when in standby. I have a Galaxy Tab S7+ that I can charge to 100% and leave it for a week and it will be dead, my iPad Pro would lose barely any battery in that same timeframe. The S7+ is less than a year old and the iPad is almost 3. I left Android phones partly because of the bad battery life.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
No need to get defensive and move the goal posts.
I'm not trying to do that at all, just pointing out the processors are slower. Crappy isn't fair either tbh. I think the software is more likely to let the hardware down in reality (I'm on a pixel 4 xl and utterly hate it). Don't think android apps are coded with as much care. Not that I know anything about coding.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why does Iphone batteries are so pathetic

Only 3095 mah for Iphone 13 that is laughable

Newer samsung and chinese phone have over 6000-7000 mah batteries with almost half the price of iphone 13

Because Android phones drain the battery like crazy and you need bigger batteries just to get through a day.

I'm switching back to iPhone after a year on Android. They've made good strides on battery life, but it's still nowhere near iOS.

Ordering iPhone 13s tonight.

I'm not too sure why some of you are complaining its a boring update. The smartphone is now a mature product that gets less innovation every year because most of the good stuff has been done and its just not exciting anymore. There needs some sort of special app that will only be possible on 5g that will blow our minds but I doubt that will happen.

They just make the same features better now. Better cameras, better batteries, and better screen. Thats all we get with smartphones these days. Oh and they make them tougher, and they are.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Because Android phones drain the battery like crazy and you need bigger batteries just to get through a day.

I'm switching back to iPhone after a year on Android. They've made good strides on battery life, but it's still nowhere near iOS.

Ordering iPhone 13s tonight.
That is not true man

I have samsung M62 and it can last for days

The same cant be said for iphone

In the future they are going to produce 8000 and iphone baterries still at 2000-3000

Last edited:

DoomGyver

I’ve had the 6s since October 2015 and it has definitely seen better days. I thought about ordering the 13 pro Friday morning but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. Notch and usb c need to be remedied before Apple gets my money.

Last edited:
I’ve had the 6s since October 2015 and it has definitely seen better days. I thought about ordering the 13 pro Friday morning but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. Notch and usb c need to be remedied before Apple gets my money.

I'm on the same boat, sticking with my 6s Plus until a notch-less version comes out with a superb battery, not giving up my headphone jack until that happens.

That is not true man

In the future they are going to produce 8000 and iphone baterries still at 2000-3000
I can still go 2 days on my old iPhone 11. I dont have a lot of experience with android phones but battery life these days is fine on all close to top of the line phones from what I hear. If you spend all your day on your phone draining your battery you need to either learn to put your phone down or have a wireless charger at work for emergencies when low or keep a portable charger in your backpack if you are student and don't have access to that.

The days of not making it through the day on one charge is over unless you are buying a very cheap phone. Build quality and durability of iPhones are in a different league than Samsung's plastic offerings so it's best not to compare them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That is not true man

I've been on both Android and iOS and switched back and forth more than once. They've made huge strides with Android battery life in the last 5 years or so. But it's still not as good as iOS.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Following confirmation that Apple significantly increased battery capacities across the iPhone 13 lineup, historically reliable Samsung site GalaxyClub has revealed that the Galaxy S22 will get a massive battery downgrade.

GalaxyClub states it has “concrete details” that the Galaxy S22 will use a battery with the model code “EB-BS901ABY” which has a rated capacity of just 3590 mAh. This is a circa 10% reduction compared to the 3880 mAh rated battery of the Galaxy S21. Note, Samsung advertises the typical capacity of the Galaxy S21 as 4000 mAh, based on this metric the Galaxy S21 battery will be approximately 3700 mAh.

And the signs are not good for the rest of the Galaxy S22 line up, either. GalaxyClub notes that the Galaxy S22+ will have a 4500 mAh battery (Galaxy S21+ 4800 mAh) while the Galaxy S22 Ultra will at least match the 5000 mAh battery capacity of its predecessor.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Airbus Jr

Banned
I can still go 2 days on my old iPhone 11. I dont have a lot of experience with android phones but battery life these days is fine on all close to top of the line phones from what I hear. If you spend all your day on your phone draining your battery you need to either learn to put your phone down or have a wireless charger at work for emergencies when low or keep a portable charger in your backpack if you are student and don't have access to that.

The days of not making it through the day on one charge is over unless you are buying a very cheap phone. Build quality and durability of iPhones are in a different league than Samsung's plastic offerings so it's best not to compare them.
Youre talking about built quality but let me ask you this

Do we really need some kind of titanium gold or expensive metal for our phone

Remember that smarphone evolve very fast and get replace after 5-6 years and some people perhaps do it much sooner

The chip and hardware itself are far more important than the materials

Not to mentioned the iphone prices itself which is nearly close enough to built a capable pc rig

But if you feel like the price is justified then feel free to go for it

Last edited:

Remember that smarphone evolve very fast and get replace after 5-6 years and some people perhaps do it much sooner

The chip and hardware itself are far more important than the materials

Not to mentioned the iphone prices itself which is nearly close enough to built a capable pc rig

But if you feel like the price is justified then feel free to go for it
You do know its actually not gold or titanium correct? color

Yes the ARM chips and design is the most important for performance and nobody beats Apple as they put more money into design than anyone. And they are changing the laptop with it's M1 design, Intel doesn't have an answer to Apple's engineers.

And lets stop with the Apple pricing, top end models of Samsung and others are the same price or even more, but cant handle a 3 foot drop.

drop test Samsung

drop test Apple

Mattyp

Gold Member

We don’t need anything, but if Apple released a factory gold plated phone I would eat that shit up.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
For everyone complaining about battery life: get a Qi charging pad for your night stand. Boom, problem solved.

n0razi

I am really tempted by the iPad mini but it's hard to justify as I have a 11" 2018 Pro. It would be perfect for reading eBooks on the go and that's really hard to resist.

Grab a fire sale Surface Duo (around $350)... its honestly the BEST book reading device I have ever used (including Kindles and ipads). Just don't use it as your primary smartphone.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Grab a fire sale Surface Duo (around $350)... its honestly the BEST book reading device I have ever used (including Kindles and ipads). Just don't use it as your primary smartphone.
Those look great but I want to jump in on like gen 5 or 6, I think.

Dural

Even Gen2 will probably be over $1700 coming out. The flaws with Gen1 are what allow it to be dirt cheap and so I can use it as a dedicated ebook reader (ie a companion to my main smartphone, not a replacement)

Where'd you see it for $350? It gets interesting at that price.

n0razi

Where'd you see it for $350? It gets interesting at that price.

It was that price on buydig and woot a few months ago.... now its up to $400-500 which is still great for the hardware IMHO

This is the AT&T locked version but there is pretty much a 100% success rate with getting it unlocked through Microsoft after purchase.

Top Bottom