• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

Total Apple Whore here - I have a Xs, Apple TV 4k, Ipad Pro (10.5 inch) , Apple Watch series 4, Airpods Pro

But I also have a Surface Pro (2017 or 5 but they never officially called it the 5 for some reason) and when I got the Surface Pro, ya know, I didn't know what to expect. I just wanted something that could surf the web and maybe do some tablet stuff on and maybe even some very light gaming. So I got the i5 version with 8 gb of ram. It's been an excellent device but I want to upgrade.

So now I'm kinda shopping between a new ipad pro and a new surface pro. I gotta say, right now, I'm still leaning towards getting a new Surface Pro. I love the new Ipad Pro trackpad case. It looks great. The iPad Pro looks amazing and I want one but I also want this device to really be my laptop replacement going forward. I gotta be honest, I just don't think Ipad Pro has closed the gap with Surface Pro enough in this regard.

It's kinda odd what separates the two devices for me. The built-in kickstand is actually a really big deal to me. I love being able to rip-off the keyboard and stick my Surface on like a book case where I only have about a single inch of space and put on a show or youtube while I'm working or cleaning in that room or whatever. For the Surface Pro, this is no problem. For the Ipad Pro, it's impossible. Which really sucks because as a media consumption device, the Ipad Pro is obviously worlds better but the physical device lacks the real world versatility that my Surface Pro provides me. I also really like the Surface Pro keyboard. I like how it snaps and sits at an angle against the screen rather than flat on the table. I remember being blown away when I got this in 2017, I didn't expect the keyboard to be good enough to make me not consider getting a laptop. I also like that the Surface Pro runs Steam games and that its rugged. I've never felt like my Surface Pro needs a case.

But that Apple ecosystem, man. Once you are in, you never want to leave. And I'm sure what Apple is doing with the touchpad/mouse support is going to be awesome. If Apple would just put a kickstand on the Ipad (which will NEVER happen) and get alittle more serious about gaming, this wouldn't even be a discussion right now. Ugh.

I don't know just wanted to kick this out to the fanbase to see what they think.

Reactions: MrS

Karmic Raze

I recently traded in my Samsung Galaxy S9+ for an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. Loving the shit out of it so far. I’ve become a firm believer of Apple after I got my iPad Pro 3rd Gen 12.9. I’m waiting on that sweet ass Magic Keyboard to come out next month so I can ditch my broken down laptop and Paint Shop and start using Photoshop on the iPad Pro since I’ll finally have a trackpad and a impeccable keyboard to go along with it. I currently have the Brydge Pro Keyboard, but it’s just not that great compared to Apple’s new Magic offering. When I get my stimulus check, I am also going to buy an Apple Watch Series 5 to go with my iPhone and maybe some AirPods Pro. Damn, I am sucker for Apple products now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karmic Raze

I want it now! Lol. I’ll be able to write and do my graphics a ton better when I get the Magic Keyboard and Photoshop. I simply cannot wait for it, It’s going to be fucking awesome, guys.

A

Anal Wake

Unconfirmed Member
I got my iPhone 11 since launch and my battery condition sits at 95% now. Is this normal if I’m a pretty heavy user (5-8 hrs screen on time every day)?

dottme

Any other fan of the Apple Arcade. It became my main source of AA game for me.

For example, this looks quite good:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/marble-knights/id1520992000

I love the art and it looks fun.

Ebbb3va.png

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't yet own an Apple TV but I plan to buy the rumored refresh due this year. Good time to build the library--Lots of good $5 movies on sale this weekend.
Dumb and Dumber, Clerks, Django Unchained, Platoon, 3:10 to Yuma, Rocky, Reservoir Dogs, Silence of the Lambs, Blade Runner, Terminator, Super 8, Blazing Saddles, Apocalypse Now, and so on

Reactions: MrS

dottme

Anyone is going to try this one:

It’s from the creator of Zero Escape so I’m interested. I haven’t seen a lot of feedback however.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm considering swinging back to iPhone, my Samsung is getting long in the tooth and they insist on selling underperforming exynos in my country.

The only roadblock is that I'm big into firefox and the plugin ecosystem...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm considering swinging back to iPhone, my Samsung is getting long in the tooth and they insist on selling underperforming exynos in my country.

The only roadblock is that I'm big into firefox and the plugin ecosystem...

Firefox is on the App Store, unless I am missing something?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Firefox is on the App Store, unless I am missing something?

Sure, but it's not actually Firefox, it's a safari skin. By Apple review guidelines every browser on the app store uses Safari components.

Which means you lose the Firefox plugins that, amongst other things, allow you to, uh... streamline /wink the browsing experience.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sure, but it's not actually Firefox, it's a safari skin. By Apple review guidelines every browser on the app store uses Safari components.

Which means you lose the Firefox plugins that, amongst other things, allow you to, uh... streamline /wink the browsing experience.

Ahh okay. I use Safari for 90% of use cases. Chrome on Windows.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How's the... streamlining browser experience on ios these days? Back in 2015 when I jumped to android it wasn't that good.

Lifetime Android user until late last year. I'm now all (iPad, MacBook, watch) in so my perspective is skewed. :)

I don't mind Safari but I never have been a big extension user in Chrome.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lifetime Android user until late last year. I'm now all (iPad, MacBook, watch) in so my perspective is skewed. :)

I don't mind Safari but I never have been a big extension user in Chrome.

Well, how about, browsing without distractions? :messenger_winking:

Also: opinions? what things are different? what things are worse? what's beter?

I was set on getting the new note but the exynos performs slightly worse than last year's snapdragon 855 and that's not right for a 1300 euro phone.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, how about, browsing without distractions? :messenger_winking:

Also: opinions? what things are different? what things are worse? what's beter?

I was set on getting the new note but the exynos performs slightly worse than last year's snapdragon 855 and that's not right for a 1300 euro phone.

Browsing in general is fine for me. Most of my mobile browsing is very limited (Gaf, Reddit, Twitter).

In general the things I love about iOS are my refurbed iPhone 8 runs better than the Moto x4 I replaced it with. Both came out around the same timeframe, so I was a bit shocked at how much value the iPhone retained vs android phone. I remain deeply impressed with how well the device still works compared to the standard android devices. I've messed around with friends/families android phones and noticed, in general, less responsiveness to touch input or os responsiveness. My wife just got an iPhone SE, which is comparable to the 8 in many ways but even her devices is so much quicker than the 8 and the 8 was a huge improvement for me.

Airpods work amazingly well for phone calls. I seriously love these things.

Apple Watch was another game changer for me. I went through 3 android watches, each having issues. The Apple Watch works perfectly, does workout tracking, heart-rate, etc. etc. etc. It's an all-in-one device that actually does what I want it to.

The last big purchase for me was a MacBook Pro 16-inch at the beginning of the year/right as covid as hitting. I initially used it heavily for work, until my work disabled our MS Office account support on Mac. Now I use ti as my primary desktop environment for everything except gaming. I still have my gaming PC set-up but the experience is much nicer on MacOS. One major thing for me, is when I get 2FA texts, I don't need to remember them, MacOS pulls the string from my iPhone into Safari natively.

I'm a life-long Windows & Android user who made the switch and could not be happier.

AppleTV and iPhone 12 are next for me. I'll probably get the HomePod as well at some point.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

• Apple iPhone 12 mini — 5.4-inch screen
  • Apple iPhone 12 — 6.1-inch screen (the same as the iPhone 11)
  • Apple iPhone 12 Pro — 6.1-inch screen (but with presumably higher specs)
  • Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max — 6.7-inch model (larger than the 6.5-inch iPhone 11 Pro Max)

iPhone 12 Mini seems like the one I will go for. After having larger phones and switching to an iPhone 8, I love the smaller form factor.

dottme

I tend to prefer larger phones, even if they are less practical.
I'm looking to change my iPhone X. But I'm either picking the mini or the pro-max based on the current leaks.
I like the small form factor of the mini, but the pro-max which potentially will have all the newest feature.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
is there rumor pointing to 120Hz? I feel the most recent one I've seen were saying to forget about it.

Rumors so far seem to indicate the only new stuff this year is the new design and a lidar on the pro. If the battery on my S9+ wasn't falling to pieces I'd maybe consider waiting for 2021 but I generally do the 2 year cycle so.. eh, I'll get the goodies in 2022.

dottme

Another rumor I’m interested in is the one with the magnet on the back of the phone or the cover.
mid the magnet can work with Qi charging, I think this should be a great addition for every day use. Just drop the phone on the charger and the magnet stick to the right position. If they are strong enough and can be used in the car, it’s even better.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Last edited:

dottme

I’ve seen those leaks. I think I might be going on the mini as I’m not really interested in what the bigger phone offer.
and I really want to see this new mag-safe.

greyshark

I still haven’t gotten around to downloading iOS 14. Any first impressions from those who have used it for a couple of weeks?

dottme

I still haven’t gotten around to downloading iOS 14. Any first impressions from those who have used it for a couple of weeks?
I like it to simplify my Home Screen. I’ve sent most of my app to the library.
The rest is working fine and I haven’t any issues.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

No issues here. I don't care much about widgets, tho.

Still waiting for a new Apple TV but somehow they’re not going to release one?!

Yes, I am tempted to pick up a 32gb TV get 4 at Walmart since they're cheaper than refurbs in Apple's site. I will relegate it to the tv in my home gym once the new ones drop, I think.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think I'll grab the 12 Pro this year, I just need to decide between blue or black.
What time does the Apple store usually start taking preorders on Friday?

h00ters

I'm just so completely underwhelmed by the lineup this year. Have got the new model at launch every two years when my contracts been up but this year I feel absolutely zero compulsion to take the plunge.

I think I'll just pay to replace the battery on my XS and stick with that on a sim only plan now that I've paid the handset off.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm just so completely underwhelmed by the lineup this year. Have got the new model at launch every two years when my contracts been up but this year I feel absolutely zero compulsion to take the plunge.

I think I'll just pay to replace the battery on my XS and stick with that on a sim only plan now that I've paid the handset off.

I mean, phones have plateaud. And new stuff like the lidar or the pro raw are interesting but niche. We'll have to wait for flexible screens to mature and go down in price for the next revolution.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What a turd announcement.
Glad i got the 10s max 3 months ago.

No 120hz
No usb C

srsy do NOT get this model wait for the refresh
Only get it if you are still on a non oled model i guess?

XICEMAN

Neo Member
i'd liked a LOT the announcement
much more than iphone 11 last year..

- better design --> and just for that i'm goona replace my iphone ( 11 pro to 12 pro max )

- better optics and sensor on pro max
- larger ( and smaller ) screen size whole lineup it's improved a lot, with premium product on every screen size
- dropped LCD screen
- 5G support
- proraw support someting i'm looking forward too

the type c connector won't ever be introduced

real miss and very disappointment it's the 120 refresh rate moved to next year :(

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What a turd announcement.
Glad i got the 10s max 3 months ago.

No 120hz
No usb C

srsy do NOT get this model wait for the refresh
Only get it if you are still on a non oled model i guess?

There won't be usb-c for iPhone. They'll go full wireless and will use at most a proprietary smart connector like on ipads for accessories.

Top Bottom