• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple |OT| TV/Arcade/iPad/mac/iPhone

dottme

I'll keep my iPhone 12 mini.

edit: I feel bad. The mini sales must have been really bad for them to completely drop it from the line up.
a lot of people I know actually like the small form factor with a large screen. But they are probably not enough.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just got a 2 pair of AIrpods Max for my wife and ...they are much nicer than I anticipated. Not 500$ nice IMO but still really good.
Spatial audio is my favorite thing about them. I only do the fixed one though. My phone is never is the right spot for the head tracking.

I bought a 14 inch macbook pro. It runs pretty awesomely. I can actually game on windows 11 arm in parallels! Hopefully Microsoft releases native windows 11 for apple silicon and i can direct boot into it.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...its-ipad-software-in-bid-to-satisfy-pro-users

Apple Plans to Make the iPad More Like a Laptop and Less Like a Phone​

• Company planning new multitasking features for iPadOS 16
  • New iOS, watchOS, macOS and tvOS updates are also coming

Apple Inc. will announce significant changes to the iPad’s software next week at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, according to people with knowledge of the matter, part of a push to make the device more like a laptop and less like a phone.

The iPad’s next major software update, iPadOS 16, will have a redesigned multitasking interface that makes it easier to see what apps are open and switch between tasks, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the changes aren’t yet public. It also will let users resize app windows and offer new ways for users to handle multiple apps at once.

The iPad accounts for nearly 9% of annual Apple’s sales, and that percentage has inched up in recent years. But professional users of the device have clamored for an interface that feels more like a laptop experience. The iPad’s hardware, which now includes the same M1 chip as some of Apple’s laptops, has grown increasingly powerful, and in some ways the software hasn’t kept up.

A spokesperson for the Cupertino, California-based company declined to comment.

Tablet Time​

The new iPad interface will be one of the biggest upgrades announced at the conference, which will also include software updates for the iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. The tech giant holds the conference each year to show off new features and device enhancements that developers can harness with their apps.

Currently, iPad users can either run apps in a full-screen view like on an iPhone or run two apps side by side. The company also lets users add a scaled-down version of a third app by sliding it over from the side. The changes will expand upon that interface.

Apple is estimated to generate more than $20 billion per year from the App Store, and the WWDC event helps keep that juggernaut going. New software features help spur developers to create new apps that in turn increase revenue.

For iOS 16, the next version of the iPhone’s software, Apple is planning several changes, including a new lock screen featuring widgets, Bloomberg has reported. The company also will refresh the Health app and add new audio and social-networking features to Messages. Redesigned apps for macOS are coming as well, including a revamp to System Preferences, its app for managing a Mac’s settings.

For the Apple Watch, the company is planning changes to watch faces, system navigation and several of the device’s apps, including a notable update to the fitness-tracking features. The company is also planning a new low-power mode that will let users operate the device when battery life is running short. The current low-power mode can only show the time.

The software updates will help propel Apple’s future hardware. The company is planning four new iPhone 14 models for the fall, an updated iPad Pro, three new Apple Watches and several Macs with next-generation M2 chips. For the iPhone 14 Pro, Apple is planning an always-on display option that will be powered by iOS 16.

While the new software is being announced on June 6, the company typically doesn’t release the updates to consumers until the fall -- around the same time that it ships new devices. However, Apple will release initial beta versions to developers next week. Public beta tests for more users will begin sometime next month.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i love my ipad but i do wish it was less like a big iphone and more like a mac. my ipad is now my main device for doing everything and it feels held back. i have the 2021 pro. i remember thinking should i get 16GB RAM but i couldn't justify it. even with "only" 8gb it feels like it's not being fully used. these ipads have an M1 in them so they are very capable but held back by software.

dottme

I hope this is where iPad OS become its own thing. They splitter it from iOS 2 years ago, now we need to see some result. And more than a simple two/three app multi tasking.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So the iPad evolution is slow and convoluted but steady.

The problem Apple has is that the iPad market is split between the appliance users and the advanced users.

I was very impressed by what I saw at wwdc.

dottme

I think I like what I saw for the iPad. It just that it won’t work with my iPad.
the iPad is trying to be a simple computer. I feel the advance user who wants more should really look in the Mac.
but for most of the users, I feel the iPad might be good enough soon without the need for a Mac.

Aurelius

I think I like what I saw for the iPad. It just that it won’t work with my iPad.
the iPad is trying to be a simple computer. I feel the advance user who wants more should really look in the Mac.
but for most of the users, I feel the iPad might be good enough soon without the need for a Mac.
True. My wife is a heavy user (picture editing) and I'm getting a MacBook Pro 14" for her this week. I'm more of a casual user and am still happy with my 8 year old iPad Air 2. I was looking in replacing or upgrading it, but the new iPad Air is too similar, The iPad Pro looks appealing, but I wish the 11" would have the same screen as the 12.9". Decided to wait for the next iteration.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Apple is now a bank. Healthcare provider next?

Apple on Monday announced the new “Apple Pay Later” service, which will let iOS users pay in installments through an option in the Wallet app. Now, according to a Bloomberg report, Apple will handle the lending on its own without a partner bank.

More specifically, the company will use its subsidiary Apple Financing LLC for the credit checks and loan decisions for the new service, as this subsidiary has all the necessary licenses to operate some banking services. Until now, all financial services provided by Apple, like Apple Card and Apple Cash, were supported by third-party banks such as Goldman Sachs.

For Apple, this is a big step toward cutting its reliance on other partners for its own services. Earlier this year, Bloomberg had already reported on Apple’s “Breakout” project, which aims to bring all payment processing and financial infrastructure in-house.

Of course, as noted by the report, Apple’s partners like Goldman Sachs and Mastercard will still keep a “small role” in the new Apple Pay Later program since Apple doesn’t have a bank charter.

In 2019, Apple began offering interest-free installment payments for Apple Card owners buying a new iPhone. The offer was later expanded to other products but still is limited to the Apple Store and Apple Card. With Apple Pay Later, every Apple Pay user in the United States will be able to pay in installments at any store.

The company has also reportedly been developing its own system for fraud analysis, rewards, and interest calculation. With about $200 billion in cash and huge profits every quarter, Apple is certainly one of the few companies in the world with enough resources to provide its own financial services.

GeekyDad

My phone is now giving me prompts that my iCloud storage is almost out. What is safe to remove, and how do I keep it from filling up so fast? We just got these phones maybe six months back.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My phone is now giving me prompts that my iCloud storage is almost out. What is safe to remove, and how do I keep it from filling up so fast? We just got these phones maybe six months back.
Photos backup automatically, could be that if you take a ton of photos.

On your phone got to the settings app. At the top, where your name & phot are displayed is the iCloud info. When you select iCloud, it will show you what types of data are taking up your cloud storage. If you've got a MacOS and/or iPad device, those also count toward your total storage.

GeekyDad

Photos backup automatically, could be that if you take a ton of photos.

On your phone got to the settings app. At the top, where your name & phot are displayed is the iCloud info. When you select iCloud, it will show you what types of data are taking up your cloud storage. If you've got a MacOS and/or iPad device, those also count toward your total storage.
Yeah, it's showing mostly photo usage, with mail usage taking maybe a fifth of that amount. Will deleting photos from the cloud still allow me to keep them on my phone?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am still new to iphone. 13 pro is my first apple device.
I just realized something about pictures.... the HEIC wtfuckness.

So I shoot pics on my iphone. When I click "share" send to gmail, it compresses them. From 2.2 to 1.0mb. Same resolution. (most common way of sharing)
When I open gmail and attach picture, it compresses drastically too. 2.2mb to 1.4mb. same resolution
When I open icloud website on win11 pc, it downloads as .jpg but LIKE SUPER LOW RES.
When in icloud, I select "download original", it downloads whooping 2mb per file heic in full res. But it's viewable only after installing heif extension from m$ store,

So.,... the only way, to put iphone photo on imgur or my pc or send to someone, is to open icloud, save original, open with heif, save as jpg. Done. It's full res and takes as much space as heic original.

wtf. Is is benefitial to change iphone photos format from HIGH EFFICENCY to MOST COMPATIBLE ? Am I loosing something or is it just jpg then ?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah, it's showing mostly photo usage, with mail usage taking maybe a fifth of that amount. Will deleting photos from the cloud still allow me to keep them on my phone?
Yes. Just make sure to back them up on a local drive or a NAS if you want to keep them for long periods. iCloud storage isn't so bad in pricing. Apple One combines some services too (like Apple Music, Arcade, etc.). I do the highest tier myself because I like Music, News+, Fitness+ in addition to the cloud storage. Microsoft offers a very good deal if you want access to their office suite. Google is an option too.

I am still new to iphone. 13 pro is my first apple device.
I just realized something about pictures.... the HEIC wtfuckness.

So I shoot pics on my iphone. When I click "share" send to gmail, it compresses them. From 2.2 to 1.0mb. Same resolution. (most common way of sharing)
When I open gmail and attach picture, it compresses drastically too. 2.2mb to 1.4mb. same resolution
When I open icloud website on win11 pc, it downloads as .jpg but LIKE SUPER LOW RES.
When in icloud, I select "download original", it downloads whooping 2mb per file heic in full res. But it's viewable only after installing heif extension from m$ store,

So.,... the only way, to put iphone photo on imgur or my pc or send to someone, is to open icloud, save original, open with heif, save as jpg. Done. It's full res and takes as much space as heic original.

wtf. Is is benefitial to change iphone photos format from HIGH EFFICENCY to MOST COMPATIBLE ? Am I loosing something or is it just jpg then ?
You can upload photos from your phone to Imgur, you just need the Imgur app. HEIC is a nice file format but it is definitely one of the downsides to the walled garden if you are not fully in. I use a MacBook as my daily computer these days so it's almost a foregone conclusion for me.

You can change the format of the pictures in the settings app. Go to camera, then formats. Change from high efficiency to most compatable. Just be advised that this change will take up "50%" more storage.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Yes. Just make sure to back them up on a local drive or a NAS if you want to keep them for long periods. iCloud storage isn't so bad in pricing. Apple One combines some services too (like Apple Music, Arcade, etc.). I do the highest tier myself because I like Music, News+, Fitness+ in addition to the cloud storage. Microsoft offers a very good deal if you want access to their office suite. Google is an option too.

You can upload photos from your phone to Imgur, you just need the Imgur app. HEIC is a nice file format but it is definitely one of the downsides to the walled garden if you are not fully in. I use a MacBook as my daily computer these days so it's almost a foregone conclusion for me.

You can change the format of the pictures in the settings app. Go to camera, then formats. Change from high efficiency to most compatable. Just be advised that this change will take up "50%" more storage.
Thank you

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

From what I’ve been told, the company is about to embark on one of the most ambitious periods of new products in its history—with the deluge coming between the fall of 2022 and first half of 2023.

The new products will include four iPhone 14 models, three Apple Watch variations, several Macs with M2 and M3 chips, the company’s first mixed-reality headset, low-end and high-end iPads, updated AirPods Pro earbuds, a fresh HomePod and an upgraded Apple TV.

👀

GeekyDad

Okay, so I went to delete photos from iCloud, it told me I had 30 days before it was disabled completely. I went ahead and downloaded everything to my PC, and re-enabled it. I deleted, then, from my phone (it wouldn't allow me to delete anything from my PC) all the photos I didn't want on there currently anymore, but it's still showing most of that space as being used up, though it's in blue now, rather than yellow.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Okay, so I went to delete photos from iCloud, it told me I had 30 days before it was disabled completely. I went ahead and downloaded everything to my PC, and re-enabled it. I deleted, then, from my phone (it wouldn't allow me to delete anything from my PC) all the photos I didn't want on there currently anymore, but it's still showing most of that space as being used up, though it's in blue now, rather than yellow.
if you want to delete photos from icloud you need to delete them twice. if you just delete them from your library they'll be put in a "recycle bin" for 30 days so you can recover them if needed. you need to go into recently deleted and delete from there too. i don't know how it works on mac but it should be the same.

sorry if i misunderstood your post.

GeekyDad

if you want to delete photos from icloud you need to delete them twice. if you just delete them from your library they'll be put in a "recycle bin" for 30 days so you can recover them if needed. you need to go into recently deleted and delete from there too. i don't know how it works on mac but it should be the same.

sorry if i misunderstood your post.
Thank you

Is there a way to delete photos from iCloud without disabling it? It didn't offer me that option.

Last edited:

dottme

Thank you

Is there a way to delete photos from iCloud without disabling it? It didn't offer me that option.
when you keep iCloud synced, it will delete both from your device and from iCloud. If this is what you want to do, just delete the
i true in the photo app.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just paired my ps5 controller with my iPad. Any game suggestions?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have a question regarding photos formats (iphone 13 pro)...
I use HEIF + live photo on iphone, so using all the features.
WHen I send pic with gmail or download from icloud, it changes to .jpg and lowers the size and dimension a bit.

But when I connect iphone to win11 pc with a wire... I see big (4-5MB) .jpg photos and movies with audio next to each photo.
I understand it separates HEIF into larger jpg and video.... but it doesn't do that on the fly.

This means, that Iphone AT ALL TIMES, keeps HEIF photos (~2mb), jpg(4mb) and live video (10mb).
Like wtf. I appreciate that there are full quality .JPG ready right there to copy to my pc wired but it's such a waste of space and so weird to see this formats here but different on the phone.
BTW - I did disabled uploading photos to icloud and enabled to "keep originals on iphone".

Am I missing something?
There is an option about transferring jpg or original in photos app settings. I've not enabled it but maybe it would delete jpg versions and video files?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a question regarding photos formats (iphone 13 pro)...
I use HEIF + live photo on iphone, so using all the features.
WHen I send pic with gmail or download from icloud, it changes to .jpg and lowers the size and dimension a bit.

But when I connect iphone to win11 pc with a wire... I see big (4-5MB) .jpg photos and movies with audio next to each photo.
I understand it separates HEIF into larger jpg and video.... but it doesn't do that on the fly.

This means, that Iphone AT ALL TIMES, keeps HEIF photos (~2mb), jpg(4mb) and live video (10mb).
Like wtf. I appreciate that there are full quality .JPG ready right there to copy to my pc wired but it's such a waste of space and so weird to see this formats here but different on the phone.
BTW - I did disabled uploading photos to icloud and enabled to "keep originals on iphone".

Am I missing something?
There is an option about transferring jpg or original in photos app settings. I've not enabled it but maybe it would delete jpg versions and video files?
I don't follow how that conversion cannot be done on the fly?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

HP-macOS.jpeg

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

When will they make announcements for new MacOS and new Mac hardware? M3 coming? Not talking about iphones, ipads, ios.

They need to make touch screen MacOS using apple pencil (kind of like surface studio)

Last edited:
Top Bottom