• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Vuze

Never had an Apple TV so pardon my ignorance.

I play a ton of music from iTunes thanks to Apple Music. I have a sound system and usually do Bluetooth to the receiver instead of using an AUX cord. But it gets spotty and can drop. I connected my laptop and use a wireless keyboard, which turns my tv into a monitor, but sometimes I need to get mobile.

Does Apple TV have iTunes on it? I'd love a dedicated device for my music.
AppleTV has a music app that includes Apple Music and songs you bought from iTunes. Don’t think it supports local files however.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
AppleTV has a music app that includes Apple Music and songs you bought from iTunes. Don't think it supports local files however.

Apple TV can connect to your PC/Mac with itunes to play your local-to-pc files over the network. Though if you have apple music and already have your songs matched to itunes in the cloud.. then it doesn't matter as your apple tv will just play your matched music from the cloud.

AppleTV has a music app that includes Apple Music and songs you bought from iTunes. Don’t think it supports local files however.

Apple TV can connect to your PC/Mac with itunes to play your local-to-pc files over the network. Though if you have apple music and already have your songs matched to itunes in the cloud.. then it doesn't matter.

Thanks. Local files aren't important. I uploaded my entire catalog to Apple Music. Looks like I'm getting an Apple TV.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks. Local files aren't important. I uploaded my entire catalog to Apple Music. Looks like I'm getting an Apple TV.

honestly, for people invested into the apple ecosystem, the extra cost of the apple tv (relative to other streamers) is well well worth it.

for apple music you will need at least the 4th gen version (the currently $140 one). so if you find it cheaper, make sure it's at least 4th gen (with the siri remote)

If you use Apple Music you likely have iCloud Music Library enabled which means there shouldn’t be any local-only stuff, it’s all either matched or uploaded

I'm finding testing the waters for this very watch are... not good. everything I love about it... and will ABSOLUTELY get a 42mm SS Series 3... people just don't care about. price price price price price price.

I think it comes down to... the market you are ultimately selling to is 100% price sensitive, above all else. I think we are literally stuck with getting less than $50 premium for stainless steel, despite the benefit being ridiculously higher than that (out of the <10 sport owners I know, 3 of them have scratches on the screen. I've literally never heard of the SS screen being scratched)

i've scratched two!

honestly, for people invested into the apple ecosystem, the extra cost of the apple tv (relative to other streamers) is well well worth it.

i think this used to be true, but now the only reason i have mine hooked up is airplay, which i only use a few times a year but tends to be a lifesaver when i do.

for TV stuff, though, my TV actually does a better job — the UI is better (LG webOS), the 4K/HDR support is better (youtube, no forced HDR on SDR content), the remote sure as hell is better... none of this was a factor a few years ago because TV software universally sucked and apple TV was a good solution, but i'm finding it hard to find a reason to get the 4K version now. i guess renting movies once it becomes the norm for them to come out in 4K?

that said, it's definitely the right product for the person you're replying to — i just personally never play music through my TV. but even a lot of people in the apple ecosystem would probably be better served by something like the new fire TV.

i think this used to be true, but now the only reason i have mine hooked up is airplay, which i only use a few times a year but tends to be a lifesaver when i do.

for TV stuff, though, my TV actually does a better job — the UI is better (LG webOS), the 4K/HDR support is better (youtube, no forced HDR on SDR content), the remote sure as hell is better... none of this was a factor a few years ago because TV software universally sucked and apple TV was a good solution, but i'm finding it hard to find a reason to get the 4K version now. i guess renting movies once it becomes the norm for them to come out in 4K?

that said, it's definitely the right product for the person you're replying to — i just personally never play music through my TV. but even a lot of people in the apple ecosystem would probably be better served by something like the new fire TV.

I don't know about LG webOS, but on Sony Android and Samsung TVs, at least you have to consider them a security and privacy risk if nothing else.

Guess Who

Banned
there are exactly three reasons to own an Apple TV:

1) airplay
2) you own itunes music/movies/TV shows
3) you have an apple music subscription

if you just want a netflix/hulu/hbo/plex box, you can do better for way cheaper than the apple tv tbh. apple's worst product right now.

jstripes

Banned
I was at an Apple Store today, and wow, an 8+'s screen puts my 6's screen to shame. The colours are on another level. (Compared them side to side.)

Need a supplementary source of income to get one now.

giga

1) airplay

if you just want a netflix/hulu/hbo/plex box, you can do better for way cheaper than the apple tv tbh. apple's worst product right now.
Nope. You’re missing things like HomeKit hub and interface/navigation preferences.

Guess Who

Banned
Nope. You’re missing things like HomeKit hub and interface/navigation preferences.

once you get into an app (netflix/hulu/etc) the UIs are 99% the same across platforms. the home screen is a bit different, sure, but the apple tv's home screen is very simple and the TV app is kind of a janky mess. the remote also blows a hundred asses.

homekit i'll give you, but that's still a very niche use.

1) airplay

Yeah completely agree. I keep buying Apple TVs each time they announce a new one and end up returning it a day later. Frankly, I find a chromecast more useful - especially at like 1/4 of the price.

giga

once you get into an app (netflix/hulu/etc) the UIs are 99% the same across platforms. the home screen is a bit different, sure, but the apple tv's home screen is very simple and the TV app is kind of a janky mess. the remote also blows a hundred asses.

homekit i'll give you, but that's still a very niche use.

The app UIs are mostly the same yes, but not the navigation. I actually *like* using the apple tv remote for navigation because of its speed. And the simplicity of the tvOS home screen is a plus compared to the mess you usually get in other platforms.

I even just remembered that fire tv doesn't even have an official youtube app and vudu isn't on their app store.

And while homekit may be niche, it's super useful if you're an iOS user with smart home gear.

holygeesus

Banned

1) airplay

I've owned them all over the years, and even with the auto-switching fiasco, I think this iteration is my favourite. Infuse is a killer app for me, as it doesn't require you to run a server, like Plex, and I love the way the TV App integrates all the other subscription apps, into one place. Saying that, I come from a year of wrestling with the Roku Premiere which was the buggiest piece of shit I've ever known.

It's also very cool to have a player capable of both Dolby Vision and HDR.

I've owned them all over the years, and even with the auto-switching fiasco, I think this iteration is my favourite. Infuse is a killer app for me, as it doesn't require you to run a server, like Plex, and I love the way the TV App integrates all the other subscription apps, into one place. Saying that, I come from a year of wrestling with the Roku Premiere which was the buggiest piece of shit I've ever known.

It's also very cool to have a player capable of both Dolby Vision and HDR.

but if you have a TV capable of dolby vision, surely its built-in apps are the easiest way to access it? the auto-switching thing/lack of proper SDR support on the new apple TV is a deal-breaker for me. the whole point of a device like this is that it should be your default TV interface — if it can't do that as well as my actual TV, it's a no-go.

infuse sounds cool though, i hadn't heard of it. might be a better solution than my nvidia shield plex setup.

holygeesus

Banned
but if you have a TV capable of dolby vision, surely its built-in apps are the easiest way to access it? the auto-switching thing/lack of proper SDR support on the new apple TV is a deal-breaker for me. the whole point of a device like this is that it should be your default TV interface — if it can't do that as well as my actual TV, it's a no-go.

infuse sounds cool though, i hadn't heard of it. might be a better solution than my nvidia shield plex setup.

I find the LG Netflix app very buggy on my B6. Get random stutters here and there, so prefer not to use it - ditto with Amazon, so I'm hoping an ATV app eventually turns up.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
got my replacement iPhone 8 yesterday and it got literally the same problem the first one had. the display right above the home button is more "yellow" than the rest. like a gradient from perfect white/colder to a little more yellow/warmer.

does every iPhone have that and I am just more sensitive/whiny? It makes me crazy and I honestly don't want to ask apple for a replacement a second time..

Edit: only positive thing is, it is not as bad as with the first iPhone 8 I got.

got my replacement iPhone 8 and it got literally the same problem the first one had. the display right above the home button is more "yellow" than the rest. like a gradient from perfect white/colder to a little more yellow/warmer.

does every iPhone have that and I am just more sensitive/whiny? It makes me crazy and I honestly don't want to ask apple for a replacement a second time..

I got, I think, 5 or 6 replacement iphone 6 before I gave up and got used to it. My first 6 had a flawless screen, but the bezel had a deep scratch out the box so I asked for a replacement. Knowing they're not all like that made made me spend so much time with replacement process. In hindsight, I should have accepted that scratch because my current phone is full of them and I don't mind lol. You can also check store models too. My store had uniform 6 at that time. I suggested a refund last post because replacement didn't help me in my experience. GL.

Vuze

got my replacement iPhone 8 yesterday and it got literally the same problem the first one had. the display right above the home button is more "yellow" than the rest. like a gradient from perfect white/colder to a little more yellow/warmer.

Edit: only positive thing is, it is not as bad as with the first iPhone 8 I got.
Not sure if I posted this as a reply before but the only Apple device I had with this issue was my iPad 2017. It eventually went away by itself. Since it jumped out to me, I think I would’ve seen it on my 8 Plus as well but there isn’t any gradient.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if I posted this as a reply before but the only Apple device I had with this issue was my iPad 2017. It eventually went away by itself. Since it jumped out to me, I think I would’ve seen it on my 8 Plus as well but there isn’t any gradient.

first iPhone I had that issue with too. :)

Rbk_3

I am on my 4th and they all have color/tint uniformity issues. I decided to just give up and keep this 4th one. The first one was actually the best I think. Go figure. Literally every display model at my local apple store had issues with uneven color/tone. I guess some people just can't see it and some people it will make go crazy. I never had any issue with my 6 Plus however.

I am hoping I eventually stop focusing on it and forget about it.

It's unacceptable for a $1200 after tax device

I am on my 4th and they all have color/tint uniformity issues. I decided to just give up and keep this 4th one. The first one was actually the best I think. Go figure. Literally every display model at my local apple store had issues with uneven color/tone. I guess some people just can't see it and some people it will make go crazy. I never had any issue with my 6 Plus however.

I am hoping I eventually stop focusing on it and forget about it.

It's unacceptable for a $1200 after tax device

I'm pretty anal about these kind of stuff and I don't see anything wrong with my screen. Any webpage/app you guys are using to test the display?

8 Plus here.

Rbk_3

I'm pretty anal about these kind of stuff and I don't see anything wrong with my screen. Any webpage/app you guys are using to test the display?

8 Plus here.

Anything white or grey.

Edit

Here were phones 2 and 3

Left, top was a reddish tint, bottom a yellow tint. You can easily see the top 2 grey bars are a completely different color than the bottom one.
Right one, top is yellow, right is red and the bottom/left is pretty normal.
46DA2630-67FA-4B39-817C-A0BEAFF9DF95.jpg

Edit here is my current one
6341F2A8-2D15-413D-80E1-CBABCE787C86.jpg

Clipse

Finally opened my Watch last night after picking it up on launch day. Turns out the 42mm is too big for dainty-ass wrists, even though I thought it looked fine when I tried it on at Best Buy before ordering.

Waiting for the re-stocks is going to suck.

Rbk_3

My latest one has some pretty noticeable backlight bleed in 2 spots along the bottom. Last one was perfect in this regard.

224F4157-A591-4513-80FF-24CDFB270010.jpg

Quick

Banned
This might be a strange question, but I noticed on the iPhone 8 commercial that there's an actual iPhone animation when it was charging on a Qi charging mat vs. the usual large battery icon that pops up when you plug it in.

Is that actually a unique animation for wireless chargers?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This might be a strange question, but I noticed on the iPhone 8 commercial that there's an actual iPhone animation when it was charging on a Qi charging mat vs. the usual large battery icon that pops up when you plug it in.

Yes. It will also animate a Watch our AirPods onto the screen with forthcoming air power mat from Apple. Don’t think it will show the others on a standard Qi mat though.

DOWN

Banned

They created it because they have the AirPower mat coming soon which can charge multiple Apple devices, so to make it easy and clear to check their charge levels, it will show the devices on the mat in their own illustrated notification box with their respective charge level, all on the iPhone screen

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Man I'm loving my Series 3 Apple Watch. The battery is amazing. I'm 3 days in since charging and currently at 17% at 11:30pm. 3 days of use without charging is amazing. Using Apple Pay is so convenient now, I never used to use it before. Now that it's simply on my wrist I use it all the time. The turn by turn navigation is cool too and unlocking my MacBook. I never have my phone out anymore lol.

Moreche

I want to purchase a grey aluminium series 3 after owning stainless steel for series 1+2.
But I’m worried about the durability? Is it durable?

Man I'm loving my Series 3 Apple Watch. The battery is amazing. I'm 3 days in since charging and currently at 17% at 11:30pm. 3 days of use without charging is amazing. Using Apple Pay is so convenient now, I never used to use it before. Now that it's simply on my wrist I use it all the time. The turn by turn navigation is cool too and unlocking my MacBook. I never have my phone out anymore lol.

I think that’s also due to watchOS 4 being great. My Series 0 has never had better battery life and I’m using the Siri watch face, which I thought would have a big battery impact. Scrolling isn’t smooth like it is in Series 1-3 watches but as least it’s still decently responsive.

TheZink

My latest one has some pretty noticeable backlight bleed in 2 spots along the bottom. Last one was perfect in this regard.

224F4157-A591-4513-80FF-24CDFB270010.jpg
I feel your pain. I went through this crap with my 6S plus. I just returned my 8 Plus for the same reasons. I’m gonna try the Pixel 2. If I don’t like it I’ll try and grab a X. For how much money these phones are the screen quality control is horrible.

j-wood

Question about the iphone 8+ and portrait mode. Is natural light a good default? As in, is it possible to take a portrait mode photo without portrait lighting or are those one in the same now?

Can you take a portrait mode photo of a landscape, without a person in it? Or is that pointless? When i tried earlier, the "natural light" stayed grey and it just said to make sure i had my subject within 8 feet.

Question about the iphone 8+ and portrait mode. Is natural light a good default? As in, is it possible to take a portrait mode photo without portrait lighting or are those one in the same now?

Can you take a portrait mode photo of a landscape, without a person in it? Or is that pointless? When i tried earlier, the "natural light" stayed grey and it just said to make sure i had my subject within 8 feet.

Portrait mode is meant to be used when you have a subject up close. For landscape scenes, just use the regular camera mode. No need for portrait mode.

Can’t answer your question for the lighting though.

Vuze

Natural lighting is the “real” lighting without any modifications. So yeah, it’s basically portrait mode without portrait lighting :D I always shoot with natural since you can change portrait lighting in post.

picked up a Apple TV 4k ....holy fuck why does it take forever for an app to load? I thought it was fast but shit ...my free Roku stick loads an app faster ....I’m on WiFi, does anyone have a solution?

holygeesus

Banned
picked up a Apple TV 4k ....holy fuck why does it take forever for an app to load? I thought it was fast but shit ...my free Roku stick loads an app faster ....I’m on WiFi, does anyone have a solution?

Sounds faulty as mine loads apps instantly. Try a reset and if it's no better take it back.

Vuze

Uh, so why exactly did my Apple TV 4K just update to 11.1? Build matches PB1 but beta updates are turned off?! I hope it doesn’t mess up anything, I deliberately didn’t want to install betas on it due to the lack of a port to roll back...

E: Also yeah, apps load instantly for me pretty much. Something sounds wrong, perhaps spotty WiFi it it only happens for streaming apps.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Uh, so why exactly did my Apple TV 4K just update to 11.1? Build matches PB1 but beta updates are turned off?! I hope it doesn't mess up anything, I deliberately didn't want to install betas on it due to the lack of a port to roll back...
Turn off the auto updates. It's somewhere in the settings, can't recall exactly where ATM.

Top Bottom