• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Preparing a ‘Portable Hybrid Console’ With a Brand New SoC That Offers Enhanced GPU Performance Increase

Fbh

Cool, a $900 console* to play mobile games on my TV
*Controller sold separately for $120, power and HDMI cables sold separately for $50, Dock sold separately for $299.

Seriously though I don't see apple doing such a focused device, they've had massive success with more versatile products and they already dominate the mobile gaming market with iPhone and iPad.

At most I'd imagine some gaming focused ipad, with some enhanced specs and cooling and bundled with some sort of low latency HDMI adaptader or dock.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It makes some sense, Switch is real popular, a Switch for Rich People® & dumb people who aren't rich but buy expensive bs will be super popular and make bank too. I have to wonder how they'll make it look all sexy and premium enough to differ if it's meant to play games first though...

And sure they lack first party content but many companies already ported a lot of stuff to mobile, they'll port everything this thing can handle too if it does a little bit good or gives any incentive. Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, all of it.

Then maybe we can get some decently priced Android or whatever equivalents that run all those games just as well. I'm sure that will eat into the console lunch big time given the convenience and hybrid portable factor just like Switch. That'll have a dent but keep selling for the first party.

Last edited:

decisions

If Apple goes all in on this and does it right, this could really disrupt the industry.

Their chips are industry-leading, the Apple Arcade model already exists as a Game Pass competitor (it just needs a dedicated gaming platform to be on) and Apple products are popular in the Japanese market where Switch currently dominates.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
If Apple goes all in on this and does it right, this could really disrupt the industry.

Their chips are industry-leading, the Apple Arcade model already exists as a Game Pass competitor (it just needs a dedicated gaming platform to be on) and Apple products are popular in the Japanese market where Switch currently dominates.
And if they manage to get devs to be behind it. Yeah, I agree Nintendo would be in deep shit. Heck, even Sony would jump right in if Apple is successful.

FStubbs

It makes some sense, Switch is real popular, a Switch for Rich People® & dumb people who aren't rich but buy expensive bs will be super popular and make bank too. I have to wonder how they'll make it look all sexy and premium enough to differ if it's meant to play games first though...

And sure they lack first party content but many companies already ported a lot of stuff to mobile, they'll port everything this thing can handle too if it does a little bit good or gives any incentive. Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, all of it.

Then maybe we can get some decently priced Android or whatever equivalents that run all those games just as well. I'm sure that will eat into the console lunch big time given the convenience and hybrid portable factor just like Switch. That'll have a dent but keep selling for the first party.
No Android company could really do it right now. Apple is 2.5 years ahead of any other ARM competitors. Plus Apple would then just pay to make sure the games are iOS exclusive.

Like I said if the goal is simply to force Nintendo out of the handheld market, Apple has the ability to do so, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Rubik8

Go on Apple, release it. I dare you. Instant failure!
Now I do love Apple phones, and laptops. And my Apple Watch and my AirPod pros. Oh fuck, I’m going to buy their gaming console too, aren’t I?

Apple can crash and burn. I don’t want them in the gaming hardware business.
People can already play Apple Arcade titles on a Macbook or Apple TV with a playstation controller. What you don't want simply doesn't matter and is too late lol

A lot of people are surprisingly out of touch with the games industry here.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont know, imagine a system 8 or so times as powerfull as switch, still at $299 with a nice modern design, better joysticks, wireless connection to TV with tiny chromcast box included.....apple TV preloaded......hmmm......
I see potential here that Sony and ms seem to be afraid of.

Last edited:
I will NEVER support such a despicable company..Apple can go F themselves
I think they’re all despicable. But Apple could have competed with Nintendo if they weren’t so out of touch. They will release a super expensive device to compete against Nintendo’s $199 handheld. Look at the Airpod Max - it costs AU$900 when better noise cancelling headsets costs less than half of that. Apple Arcade does have a decent library as well - one that would fit handheld.

Animagic

Banned
I could honestly see them trying it. Curious to see what happens as none of the games on their platforms interest me at all.

e&e

Banned
I thought AppleTV was their gaming hardware?
let's get the "portable" part straight here: it's a VR/AR standalone headset, much like the Oculus Quest.

Apple has long been known to be working on it in VR circles.

2022 onwards, Sony, Facebook, Apple, Valve, HTC, Microsoft, HP, Samsung and others will be again pushing the next generation of wearable computing heavily. Get used to the idea of abandoning last century tech like tv, keyboard, mouse and gamepad for generalized and contextual spatial computing and gaming all around you. Sorry for retrards wishing new tech to die, but these can still live in the past by playing 80s games in emulators on a virtual crt in a virtual 80s bedroom or basement of their preference...
...Nah, you ain’t getting me to wear damn glasses to watch TV...

Last edited:
1 thousand dollar handheld , 500 dollar handheld stand , 50 dollar separate charger , 300 dollar apple additional controller
Jokes aside apple can give a serious fight to Nintendo with it's cult like fans and unlimited money

Bryank75

Banned
Wow, Ubisoft games..... games I can literally play anywhere and don't really give a shit about. Solid start.... I can see they are modelling this attempt closely on Stadia.

They should get Phil Harrison on board for the full experience.

Barakov

Gold Member
I dont know, imagine a system 8 or so times as powerfull as switch, still at $299 with a nice modern design, better joysticks, wireless connection to TV with tiny chromcast box included.....apple TV preloaded......hmmm......
I see potential here that Sony and ms seem to be afraid of.
If this thing comes to fruition, there's no way Apple will price it at anything remotely that competitive. Apple does many things very well but competitive pricing isn't one of them.

Rikkori

Even the really juiced up M1 is trash when it comes to graphics performance. I'll believe it when I see it.

MagnesG

Banned
For Apple to run Nintendo out of the market, they would need to outprice them (which they can do since they create their own cpus and gpus), starve Nintendo of third party content, and create compelling first party content. These are things they could do but it would cost a LOT of money
Lol no amount of money could make any vg company to create first party contents as good as Nintendo.

Sure they could do maybe a Belda release, but no. That will be hilarious though.

Raonak

Banned
Interesting... so they're trying to compete with nintendo?

Does apple even have any "first party studios?"

Knightime_X

New console every 6 months for $1,400
With +2.3% bump in power and a random takeaway because fuck you give us money.

Last edited:
Can’t see a custom GPU for games out of apple. It would cannibalise gaming on their phones and iPads.

Fake.

I say this is probably in the oven. It won't probably be a fully custom GPU, but a step-up version of what they have in the current Ipad and Iphone.

This is how I see Apple will counter EPIC in their court battle. Apple will start to offer 'gaming' version of their apple devices using the same iOS but at a much cheaper price and potentially loss leader. Through that, Apple can say that they allowed to have a walled garden because they have devices selling at a loss.

It's very clever if they pursue this.

THE DUCK

If this thing comes to fruition, there's no way Apple will price it at anything remotely that competitive. Apple does many things very well but competitive pricing isn't one of them.

I dont see why not, they sell tens of millions of ipads at $329......

THE DUCK

What’s the point? They can’t make huge profit on the hardware.

No but they see the money being made on software and they want in on that. Nintendo just posted what, 5 billion on profit last report and they likely make very little on the hardware.

Too little to gain,

It's probably concocted with the epic-apple court battle in mind. If Apple offers a loss leader device using the same iOS, then they say to the court that they are allowed to have a walled garden like Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

too much effort,

There's probably very little effort in this because the ecosystem already exist - iOS. It's as easy as Apple creating a new small tablet device with probably hardware controls.

to much to lose.

I don't think they have much to lose here. I think they have a lot to gain. San ka pala sa pinas?

Robb

Gold Member
I don't doubt that Apple, Google, Amazon etc. could make it in the gaming console space. Tbh more competition could be healthy. But they often seem to fail in regards to software, especially exclusive first party software.

Thirty7ven

Banned
No but they see the money being made on software and they want in on that. Nintendo just posted what, 5 billion on profit last report and they likely make very little on the hardware.

Well you need to look at how much money Nintendo makes on hardware, then compare it to how Apple runs their business. In the end Apple might want that software juice but... don’t they need software? They have zilch. Good luck.

hlm666

If they are basing that it's is a hybrid console just on the soc performance I wonder if this is more to do with their VR device than something like a switch. There's been those VR rumors for ages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom