• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Preparing a ‘Portable Hybrid Console’ With a Brand New SoC That Offers Enhanced GPU Performance Increase

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Those devices are still consuming single digit Watts of power. That's the point.

The power budget isn't big enough to provide meaningful RT performance, the steamdeck included.

Im sure the hardware of the steamdeck could produce RT reflections and GI in switch games like mario odyssey.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You're talking like the PSP didn't get exclusive 3D GTA's and COD's. Now if Apple were to get third party support it would be 1) stuff that is already on Switch or 2) Stuff that's on Xbox, Playstation, Stadia, Steamdeck.

An Apple device would be more competition to that diluted market than Switch because it would feature the same games, while Switch makes 98% of its bread off of Nintendo games.

But the point your missing is it would be portable, and right now none of those are from ms and sony. The way it affects Nintendo in the future is as a next generation of gamers buys the "next handheld" they have less machines sold and a smaller user base in which to sell those exclusives.

THE DUCK

Your math is way off.

It would 100% take a massive bite out of Nintendo's pie (even though 98% of Nintendo's pie is exclusives)?

Wishful thinking on your end perhaps. Let's see Steamdeck get killed first and then have this conversation again.

See my last reply as to how it affects them.
In terms of the Steam Deck, it won't affect them at all I suspect as I don't think valve is going to produce enough units to matter.

They already have a legion of gaming devices and their own subscription service (Apple Arcade). There is nothing but growth to be had, they just need some big games to start things off.

That said their games seem to be of the simpler type, often for various demographics not covered by the typical big two.

The hardware/soc side is the most interesting part to me, I do wonder how advanced they could get.

Im referring to the garbage part.
Well... I mean they do make their products, stupidly designed. Functionality goes completely out the window with them. Randomly came across this article the other day which solidifies why so many dislike Apple as a company.

And then there are people who completely shill to hell and back for them. *Shrugs*

Last edited:

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Doesn't make sense for them to enter dedicated gaming console space at all. They are making B for BILLIONS from app store already. Thats combine MS, Sony and Nintendo in gaming space.

They will keep making the Apple TV powerful and keep making the profit from iOS games.

JLB

Banned
Well... I mean they do make their products, stupidly designed. Functionality goes completely out the window with them. Randomly came across this article the other day which solidifies why so many dislike Apple as a company.

And then there are people who completely shill to hell and back for them. *Shrugs*

From there to say that everything Apple does is shit.. kinda of a stretch right?

From there to say that everything Apple does is shit.. kinda of a stretch right?
I wouldn't say "EVERYTHING" they do it's shit, but they exercise shitty practices more times than not. And when it comes to gaming, we all know they would dip their hands in everything gaming related, and said games can only be played on their hardware. Not to mention, they are a cash cow, they wouldn't hesitate to grab up exclusive rights of 3rd party titles in a heartbeat.

Apple + gaming = Not Good. At least based on the companies ideology of hardware/software, as well as their track record in regards to gaming specifically.

Bryank75

Banned
They got the new Mistwalker JRPG. Consoles didn't.

Was Lost Odyssey the last notable thing he did?

Not to be disrespectful or anything.... that is what I remember!

JLB

Banned
I wouldn't say "EVERYTHING" they do it's shit, but they exercise shitty practices more times than not. And when it comes to gaming, we all know they would dip their hands in everything gaming related, and said games can only be played on their hardware. Not to mention, they are a cash cow, they wouldn't hesitate to grab up exclusive rights of 3rd party titles in a heartbeat.

Apple + gaming = Not Good. At least based on the companies ideology of hardware/software, as well as their track record in regards to gaming specifically.

Same thing can be said of Sony and Nintendo.

Apparently, Apple is working on a portable hybrid console that will feature a brand new SoC, and with it, we can expect some performance improvements along the way.

Custom SoC for Rumored Portable Hybrid Console May Also Feature Ray Tracking Support​

A post spotted on the Korean community website Clien talks about Apple preparing a Switch-like console. Qualcomm was recently reported to be working on something similar, but many readers would be wondering that if Apple’s iPhone and iPad line are already touting powerful chipsets, what is the need for such a product? Overall, Apple’s mobile devices are not geared towards gamers, so even if the hardware is more than capable, iPhones and iPads are not designed to have thick internal cooling systems as Apple prioritizes a sleek form factor.

This rumored portable hybrid console might have some room to pack a capable cooler, and some others aspects may set it apart from the rest of Apple’s products. Firstly, the post claims that the company is working on a new SoC, and it will not be categorized under the A-Series of M-series of chipsets. Previously, MauriQHD spoke about Apple working on an ARM-based console, but it was rumored to tout an A-series chip, not a brand new one. With this console, Apple could make it slightly thicker, and a larger display means more surface area for spreading the heat.

Apple may be working on multiple prototypes in secrecy, as the company was previously rumored to have sent an Apple TV featuring an A14X Bionic to developers for testing purposes. Perhaps the biggest difference of this portable hybrid console is its SoC delivering enhanced GPU performance and providing ray tracing support. The rumor also says that Apple is negotiating with notable game developer Ubisoft, possibly to bring exclusive titles to the Apple Arcade.

There is one big question, whe know that Apple hardware is expensive as Hell..soo....what will be the pricetag?
I advice you all to start saving😋

Marty-McFly

Banned
But the point your missing is it would be portable, and right now none of those are from ms and sony. The way it affects Nintendo in the future is as a next generation of gamers buys the "next handheld" they have less machines sold and a smaller user base in which to sell those exclusives.
Third party support is pretty thin these days, and half of what there is appears on Switch, by the time the Switch successor is out it will be close to all. It's not enough to sustain a platform. Even at that those types of games and the GaaS model performs better on pure home consoles.

Apple will fail spectacularly just like Vita, Google, Steam, and even MS did last generation unless they come strapped with AAA exclusives, and it takes years to build studios like that. Talent doesn't grown on trees.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You can change this sentence for other company names and get a ban. Hopefully one day Apple/EA are not an exception of the site rules.

photo-43.jpg

Marty-McFly

Banned

Exclusive | Apple’s Nintendo Switch-Style Hybrid Game Console Is Coming, Along with Major Apple TV Redesign​

Apple introduced the Apple TV in 2006 originally as iTV, but due to iTV being a European news agency, Apple was sued and renamed the device Apple TV. The original design was innovative for its time, and I have to admit it’s one of the best designs Apple has ever done. In my opinion, its current design is outdated and bulky. Luckily, I have good news.

Apple is going to do to the next Apple TV what it’s also doing to the Mac mini. The upcoming Mac mini will look like the original Apple TV from 2006 in its updated design.

Apple is on a trend of implementing the famed flat-edge design that was iconic with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. In April 2021, Apple redesigned the Siri Remote with the new design trend. It reminds me of the original Apple TV remote mixed with an original iPod Shuffle. The set-top box remained the same, but received an A12 Bionic as well as high-resolution HDR.

more at link

From this article:

New info that I have sourced is saying Apple is working on “their take of a premium hybrid gaming console” and that “games rivaling Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey” are almost ready to go.

Is this a joke article?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Im sure the hardware of the steamdeck could produce RT reflections and GI in switch games like mario odyssey.
If the current-gen consoles struggle with RT reflections at reasonable resolutions, the steamdeck is going to be significantly behind.

And RT GI regardless of what else is going on in the game is a non-starter for portable-class hardware. That's a pipedream at best. Again, current-gen consoles would struggle at reasonable resolutions.

Neff

I wouldn't put much faith in Apple's raw financial muscle. Microsoft has shown that throwing all the money in the planet on your gaming brand doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be successful, or even profitable. The handheld market doubly so.

I mean, Sony understands videogames better than most and even they got chased the fuck out by Mario.

LordOfChaos

Gaming just doesn't seem to be in their DNA, it's popular on iOS but they only seemed to fall backwards into it.

I actually do hope they get into it and start funding exclusive titles that can really use their excellent silicon though. We'll see.

lachesis

oq5xWUE.jpg

... with this kind of pricing schemes, I can't even fathom how expensive that would be. /s

I mean, these type of extreme pricing is only reserved for certain products, and they can certainly bring the lot down to competitive level (like SE for example, for what it's worth)...
At best, I can think of iPod with controller attached, maybe... for iOS games then.. and will charge 60 bucks for the protective case or whatnot. :/

If I was in charge of Apple, I would offer their M series chips to Nintendo for their future handheld & in return ask for cross-compatibility in some way and some time.
But either company - both Apple and Nintendo are too successful for their own right, not likelihood of it happening is nil, I guess...

LordOfChaos

I can't imagine Apple giving enough of a shit about the thermals of their mobile devices to make a console...

Even fully post throttling, iPhones for years now have been vastly more powerful than the Switch.

It's more about the focus and bringing the software in.

Sosokrates

If the current-gen consoles struggle with RT reflections at reasonable resolutions, the steamdeck is going to be significantly behind.

And RT GI regardless of what else is going on in the game is a non-starter for portable-class hardware. That's a pipedream at best. Again, current-gen consoles would struggle at reasonable resolutions.
True, but thats different to saying steamdeck level hardware can not have "meaningful RT performance"

Its subjective on what somone finds "meaningful". Im sure plenty of people would be excited by Nintendo doing RT on steamdeck level hardware.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They already have iPhone and iPad, which could do the same in theory. Just launch a official gamepad and a better Game Center and there you go

THE DUCK

Third party support is pretty thin these days, and half of what there is appears on Switch, by the time the Switch successor is out it will be close to all. It's not enough to sustain a platform. Even at that those types of games and the GaaS model performs better on pure home consoles.

Apple will fail spectacularly just like Vita, Google, Steam, and even MS did last generation unless they come strapped with AAA exclusives, and it takes years to build studios like that. Talent doesn't grown on trees.

That's why I suggested a partnership with ms and sony - filling in that gap. I think it's a mistake to think apple is stupid, they are one of the most successful and profitable companies in the world. They aren't likely to launch new hardware with no software in place.

MrFunSocks

Banned
This should scare the pants off MS and Sony. Nintendo not as much, since their first party games are what nintendo consoles live on. If Apple start getting the cheque book out and can get third parties on board they could very quickly become a big player and start stealing market share.

True, but thats different to saying steamdeck level hardware can not have "meaningful RT performance"

Its subjective on what somone finds "meaningful". Im sure plenty of people would be excited by Nintendo doing RT on steamdeck level hardware.

You're missing the point.

If current-gen consoles struggle with RT reflections at reasonable resolutions then steamdeck's implementation will be even worse as well as to the detriment of the quality of all other raster graphics rendering. So any RT on steamdeck won't be meaningful when the compromises to include it result in a net negative overall visual quality of the game.

RT is fucking expensive, on any platform. And being largely resolution-dependent, the higher the required resolution for RT'd effects to provide meaningful visual quality, a non-linear increase in hardware performance is required. And there's a baseline level of resolution required for even limited RT effects like RT reflections; below which it just isn't worth it because the compromises needed to get there are too deleterious to the overall graphical look of the game.

On a portable console, these compromises are even more severe.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

You're missing the point.

If current-gen consoles struggle with RT reflections at reasonable resolutions then steamdeck's implementation will be even worse as well as to the detriment of the quality of all other raster graphics rendering. So any RT on steamdeck won't be meaningful when the compromises to include it result in a net negative overall visual quality of the game.

RT is fucking expensive, on any platform. And being largely resolution-dependent, the higher the required resolution for RT'd effects to provide meaningful visual quality, a non-linear increase in hardware performance is required. And there's a baseline level of resolution required for even limited RT effects like RT reflections; below which it just isn't worth it because the compromises needed to get there are too deleterious to the overall graphical look of the game.

On a portable console, these compromises are even more severe.
I already aknoledged that point when I said "true".
You seem to be missing my point, that games dont have to have the resolution,fps other graphical features of the games that have RT on series consoles + ps5.

RT on switch Nintendo games would not be that demanding. Dont forget the switch only has 393gflops(docked) from 2015 hardware.

I already aknoledged that point when I said "true".
You seem to be missing my point, that games dont have to have the resolution,fps other graphical features of the games that have RT on series consoles + ps5.

RT on switch Nintendo games would not be that demanding. Dont forget the switch only has 393gflops(docked) from 2015 hardware.

And this is where your logic is failing you. The bolded is categorically untrue.

The computational cost of RT isn't dependent on the hardware capability. It's entirely dependent on the quality of the visual effect attempting to be achieved. The lower the quality of the effect attempting to be achieved with RT, the less it makes any sense to use RT at all to solve a particular problem.

E.g. shitty low res RT reflections would be more expensive and far less justifiable than Screen Space reflections at a higher visual quality level. So using RT in this instance just to say, "mom, look at me I'm raytracing", is pure foolishness.

And the Switch has no capability for RT, as it doesn't even have any fixed-function hardware for BVH traversal and ray-box intersection tests.

S0ULZB0URNE

Exclusive | Apple’s Nintendo Switch-Style Hybrid Game Console Is Coming, Along with Major Apple TV Redesign​

Apple introduced the Apple TV in 2006 originally as iTV, but due to iTV being a European news agency, Apple was sued and renamed the device Apple TV. The original design was innovative for its time, and I have to admit it’s one of the best designs Apple has ever done. In my opinion, its current design is outdated and bulky. Luckily, I have good news.

Apple is going to do to the next Apple TV what it’s also doing to the Mac mini. The upcoming Mac mini will look like the original Apple TV from 2006 in its updated design.

Apple is on a trend of implementing the famed flat-edge design that was iconic with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. In April 2021, Apple redesigned the Siri Remote with the new design trend. It reminds me of the original Apple TV remote mixed with an original iPod Shuffle. The set-top box remained the same, but received an A12 Bionic as well as high-resolution HDR.

more at link

With all of that money and how aggressive they are,if they price it right Nintendo has a problem.

Edit: plus brand loyalty/respect.
Apple sells way more products than Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom