• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Preparing a ‘Portable Hybrid Console’ With a Brand New SoC That Offers Enhanced GPU Performance Increase

Plantoid

MS has been in the business for 20 years. Apple has no presence. This is desperation talking.
I agree with you, but this is a falacy, ford has been in the business for 100 years before Tesla... See how that turned out

But I agree, console business are different, and I don't see apple entering it

I agree with you, but this is a falacy, ford has been in the business for 100 years before Tesla... See how that turned out

But I agree, console business are different, and I don't see apple entering it
Ford still sells many millions more cars per year compared to Tesla? Tesla hasn’t made a dent in Ford’s business yet. Let’s circle back on this when every Tesla doesn’t come out of the factory with a manufacturing defect and when the CEO stops fraudulently peddling a FSD subscription.

I assume you’re talking stock price, and yeah man…. It’s a bubble. Doesn’t mean much.

For those unimpressed by this mobile low power variant, what about quadruple performance?

Yeah, it’s gonna be insane. I wonder if they just call this M2 or stay with M1 branding. Idk, they already got M1 Pro and M1 Max, I guess they could use M1 Elite lol. My guess, the Mac mini and iMac Pro are released in the fall with M1 Pro and M1 Max variants, and this M1 “Elite” will be exclusive to Mac Pro. They’ll probably also make a new external display to accompany the Mac Pro.

Would love to see them filter these more powerful processors into more affordable hardware, which I guess they will with time if you look at their iPad and iPhone range. It’d be insane if we had iPad Pros with the same power of PS5 / SeX in a couple years.

For the immediate present, I do hope they pursue a mobile console strategy. Give it the switch form factor and a locked down iPadOS that only allows streaming and gaming (to justify a lower price point; Apple won’t cannibalize iPad sales for this theoretical device). If the games are made for a locked down iPadOS, they could immediately filter up to the regular, more expensive iPads, Macs, and Apple TVs (and eventually filter down to iPhones). It’d be like a Trojan horse on getting big titles for their gaming ecosystem. They just need to carve out pricing models that get people accustomed to paying AAA prices, which is possible. They could set up distinct sections on the store for casuals and AAA gamers. Or they could come at it with mobile pricing on iPads and iPhones, with IAP upgrades to use the game on their gaming iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

If they called it the gPad, I think it would set an expectation in the consumer consciousness. They could also make an educational SKU to compete with Chromebooks in primary schools, a cheaper iPad with a keyboard included… call it the ePad to not devalue the iPad line. Make it an educational exclusive that can also play games but get people hooked into their iPad lineup.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Apple can crash and burn. I don’t want them in the gaming hardware business.
Agreed.

I See You Hello GIF by Al Roker

Marty-McFly

Banned
People are really desperate for someone to rise up against Switch that they make up news in these tabloid articles.

It wouldn't work anyway. Nobody cares about playing games that aren't made by Nintendo on a handheld.

Watch and see what happens to SteamDeck, same as GDP WIN, Vita, Ngage, Game Gear, Lynx, Turbo Express and all the others.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

What rumors though? This is a no name tabloid-esque site
So you can't provide a link that Apple isn't working on something game related.
This very thread alone has talk of Apple working on something(with links)
Plus Apple has been showing off it's new CPU's that will be used in multiple devices.
Why are you in a Apple portable device thread so "CONCERNED" are you looking to buy whatever they are working on?

Plus Apple has been showing off it's new CPU's that will be used in multiple devices.
Why are you in a Apple portable device thread so "CONCERNED" are you looking to buy whatever they are working on?
Man, I would love these delusions to be real (hence my engagement in this thread), but the rumors were false… nothing materialized. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

People are really desperate for someone to rise up against Switch that they make up news in these tabloid articles.

It wouldn't work anyway. Nobody cares about playing games that aren't made by Nintendo on a handheld.

Watch and see what happens to SteamDeck, same as GDP WIN, Vita, Ngage, Game Gear, Lynx, Turbo Express and all the others.
Steamdeck plays Nintendo games

You're crazy if you think it will fail, the demand is already insane. Putting it in the same category as that other crap is disingenuous.

Ryu Kaiba

Apple doesn't give a crap about games. Ever since Steve Jobs passed they've just been pushing into a luxury direction and ViDeOGamEz beyond what already works on an iPad are pleb entertainment to them. Today's Apple isn't going to get on a stage and show the press a damn game console.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Apple doesn't give a crap about games. Ever since Steve Jobs passed they've just been pushing into a luxury direction and ViDeOGamEz beyond what already works on an iPad are pleb entertainment to them. Today's Apple isn't going to get on a stage and show the press a damn game console.
I can see them doing it though. Consoles are actually a bad investment, but they could throw something out there artificially segmented from the ipad and iphone. It's the same reason the ipad pro doesn't have all of the features it could to replace a laptop, they want to keep the mac alive.

If Apple was smart they would position these new Macs as gaming PCs, but I don't see them doing that unless they have the entire ecosystem locked down.

That being said, I don't know why people on here would want Apple to get involved in video games. If you want to flex, buy a nice watch or a car. Giant tech companies are killing this industry.
I think it'll be pretty popular, but no where near the Switch. It's a neat handheld. I haven't been this excited for hardware since the 6th gen.

rnlval

2021-10-18%2019_24_34.jpg

2021-10-18%2019_23_50.jpg

The new MacBooks have a CPU that's better than anything that Intel ever delivered to Apple, probably faster than Alderlake (with just 2 small cores as it should be), with media accelerators various orders off magnitude faster than anything available on the PC segment, and a GPU that should be at least on par with the PS5, probably faster than the SeX.
All this peaking at 60W.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE IBM PC SEGMENT?!!
FYI, AMD Van Gogh SoC has 8 TOPS (8 trillion operations per second) visual deep learning DSP. AMD needs to offer Zen 3+ enabled XSS, XSX, and PS5 SoCs to PC OEMs.

rnlval

ARM is definitely the future, and one that Apple are just knocking out of the park. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Windows10onARM tablet/surface and it's fantastic and it was one of the first Win10onARM devices. x64 emulation is coming to retail versions soon too. They still need to do a lot of work to get their compatibility/emulation as good as Apples Rosetta though, because as it is emulated apps run noticeably worse and destroy the battery.

Running ARM apps though I get ridiculously good battery life out of it.
ARM Ltd(UK)'s CPU design is not Apple M1.

Steamdeck plays Nintendo games

You're crazy if you think it will fail, the demand is already insane. Putting it in the same category as that other crap is disingenuous.

I think it won’t do well outside of enthusiasts. I want to be wrong as it seems like a nifty device, butttt idk man.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Still spreading this misinformation?
A whole bunch of overpriced, crappy supported, or other thing wrong machines and your misguided interpretation is that no console can compete? Your in a Nintendo fantasy world.

And people aren't desperate, they just want to play on a portable console that isn't from 2016.

Last edited:

rnlval

The M1 is an ARM based chip.
Apple's M1 is a compatible ARM clone. Hint: instruction issue width is different.

ARM Ltd (UK)'s ARM decoder units.

RriBhuP.png

Apple's M1 has 8 instruction decoders.

The instruction decoder's existence shows pure RISC ideology has been thrown out of the window.

ARM ISA has discrete math and load/store instructions.

X86 ISA has embedded or fused math and load/store instructions.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Apple's M1 is a compatible ARM clone. Hint: instruction issue width is different.
Hint: it's an ARM based chip, like I've said twice now.

And people aren't desperate, they just want to play on a portable console that isn't from 2016.
Do they? With the sales of the Switch I don't think people have any problems playing on a portable console that is from 2016.

Last edited:

rnlval

Do they? With the sales of the Switch I don't think people have any problems playing on a portable console that is from 2016.
Again, Apple M1 is NOT ARM Ltd (UK)'s ARM RTL IP design.

Qualcomm has ARM Ltd (UK)'s Cortex A76, Cortex A77, and Cortex X1 CPU (under Snapdragon 888's Kryo 680 Prime) RTL implementation.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Of course they do, they just have zero other options. What your saying makes no sense, akin to: buyers want iphone 7 more than they want an iPhone 13. There's no "problem" using an iPhone 7, if it was the only phone on the market it would sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Look Apple...you know I've been loyal. The computers in home have been pretty much Mac only for 25 years.

You should also know you are TERRIBLE when it comes to gaming.

Go ahead, go for it. Maybe you'll be just as disappointed as I was with your gaming performance for the past couple of decades.

John Wick

Even if it's competently built hardware it's gonna be a real uphill battle against Nintendo.

Do you want the Switch that has Mario Kart or the one that doesn't? Seems like an easy choice for most. Can't imagine anything with Apple's branding is gonna be cheap, either.
This is Apple. Not some unknown brand. Apple are masters at marketing. Also parents recognise the brand and quality.
I'll also do a MS fanboy and qoate Apple's 2.5 trillion listing and 200-300 billion cash on hand etc etc as this helps prove how successful a product will be.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Still spreading this misinformation?
A whole bunch of overpriced, crappy supported, or other thing wrong machines and your misguided interpretation is that no console can compete? Your in a Nintendo fantasy world.

What people are these? Some forum hecklers?

or the 25 million plus Switch consumers that are going to buy a Switch this year to play Nintendo exclusives?

Who's in a fantasy world again?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Again, Apple M1 is NOT ARM Ltd (UK)'s ARM RTL IP design.

Qualcomm has ARM Ltd (UK)'s Cortex A76, Cortex A77, and Cortex X1 CPU (under Snapdragon 888's Kryo 680 Prime) RTL implementation.
I never said it was so not sure why you’re carrying on about this lol.

THE DUCK

What people are these? Some forum hecklers?

or the 25 million plus Switch consumers that are going to buy a Switch this year to play Nintendo exclusives?

Who's in a fantasy world again?

Lol, just because they have no other options doesn't mean they don't want something better. By you logic, zero people woukd buy the switch oled, I mean who wants better hardware, right? That's beyond silly.

The 25 million people buying switch want a decent handheld console that plays games, they go to the store, they get to pick from the switch or the switch. Take off the rose cored glasses for 2 seconds. Yes Nintendo has some great exclusives, yes the switch has some great games. Is it the only reason for its success? Of course not.

Top Bottom