• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releases Privacy Matters Ad

Shots fired - we will see if Google responds.

Would be nice if they made some more budget friendly phone like Iphone SE was - since I'm sure there's plenty of people who would prefer to not be logged into Google advertising data machine 24/7 but don't want to spend 1000$ on phone.

J-Roderton

Should I even watch this? Not sure any big company like Apple cares about our privacy at all.

*typed from my iPhone

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Lol that's pretty funny. Hitting the competition where it hurts. Says a lot considering the large amount of lawsuits surrounding Google's failure to respect privacy in the U.S., U.K., Canada, etc.

Fbh

Good ad.
I've always preferred Android and I'm generally happy with my Android phones.
But the way Google collects data is the one thing that at times has me thinking if I should switch.

Last edited:
Iphone no headphone jack /DrakeNo

Iphone privacy /DrakeYes

My next phone is probably Iphone. I'm not a big fan of their user experience nor closed systems, but privacy in the modern age is probably my biggest concern. *posted from Firefox*

Last edited:
Good ad.
I've always preferred Android and I'm generally happy with my Android phones.
But the way Google collects data is the one thing that at times has me thinking if I should switch.

I'm getting ads for all kinds of things I never google, just talk about with people. I remember ads for Van hire, which was something I mentioned to someone at work briefly :messenger_expressionless:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is going to attract a lot of customers and make them a lot of money if they're sincere. There's rising distrust of big tech, and I think Apple smells it in the wind and is shifting their branding accordingly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was joking so now I'll explain the joke since it lost the opportunity to be funny.

Locked apple = safe data
Apple bite = knowledge seized
Who took a bite of knowledge from your safe data?
C O N S P I R A C Y

betrayal

Banned
Not directly related to the ad but i guess there are still some people that don't know https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated

Here you can check a part of what Google "knows" or thinks to know about you and it's not only about your phone. If you regurlarly use a PC it literally is almost the same like using an Android phone.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Privacy matters to a company that ignores reported severe security vulnerabilities in their operating systems until they get publicly exposed, which makes all Apple users data/privacy exposed until Apple apologises and promises to "be better" whilst getting around to patching it about two weeks later.

This is a the same company that released a macOS update that had the root user enabled with a blank password.... yeah.

But go ahead everyone fall for the slick advertising.

oagboghi2

I'm sorry, how many times have celebrities nude photos or sex tapes been on the internet because of apple and their vaunted "privacy"

Ovek

7Member7
I'm sorry, how many times have celebrities nude photos or sex tapes been on the internet because of apple and their vaunted "privacy"

Lot's of people (not just celebrities) are dumb fucks who never enable the security features like 2-step (even though that isn't perfect) and use the same password for everything, i'm not defending Apple but you can't blame them for the "fappining" etc.

oagboghi2

Lot's of people (not just celebrities) are dumb fucks who never enable the security features like 2-step (even though that isn't perfect) and use the same password for everything, i'm not defending Apple but you can't blame them for the "fappining" etc.
I absolutely can because that is the illusion Apple is selling. Look at that ad. The entire idea is "our phone is so secure. Just flip it off and you're safe" but you're not.

Apple isnt teaching people safe browising habits or how to clean up their digital footprints. They are selling the idea that "iPhone == secure", and history shows that isn't true.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Overall I'd rather see action than words. If Apple can prove their commitment to privacy vs Google's shitty behaviour, great, but an ad doesn't change anything. Further, whether your phone is Android or Apple it's still made by Chinese slaves.

I absolutely can because that is the illusion Apple is selling. Look at that ad. The entire idea is "our phone is so secure. Just flip it off and you're safe" but you're not.

Apple isnt teaching people safe browising habits or have to clean up their digital footprints. They are selling the idea that "iPhone == secure", and history shows that isn't true.

No you can't. The "fappening" happened because the celebrities were duped by social engineering. They GAVE away their passwords to the hackers.

Apple's privacy is about harvesting, storing, and sharing the personal data of the user without their consent. If you don't harvest or store that data, then it cannot be shared whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Overall I'd rather see action than words. If Apple can prove their commitment to privacy vs Google's shitty behaviour, great, but an ad doesn't change anything. Further, whether your phone is Android or Apple it's still made by Chinese slaves.

Apple already told the US government to fuck off when they were asked to crack their own Iphones.

Look, all the big tech companies are probably harvesting your personal data anyway. But, at least Apple is posturing as pro-privacy compared to Google who is actively evil in this regard.

I don't KNOW if Firefox is 'secure' but they claim to be pro-privacy. For that reason I'll stick with Firefox instead of Chrome.

Last edited:
Good ad, good message. But wasn’t The Fappening caused by hacking people’s iCloud accounts?

It was hacking - as the name implies it's fraudulent action by third party.
And well if someone puts their very risky and super private photos into cloud where they are always at risk of being stolen there's no much we can do to protect people against their own stupidity.

Anyway data in the cloud being stolen has nothing in common vs company collecting every possible bit of data on your own behaviour to model it into advertising profile and sell it to other companies as product.

Top Bottom