• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Reportedly Plans to Launch Revised 4.7-inch iPhone 8 in March 2020 to Boost Share of Mid-Tier Smartphone Market

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple will launch a new version of the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 early next year with updated internals in a bid to boost its share of the mid-tier smartphone market, according to a report out today by the Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) [Google Translate].

Citing sources from Taiwan-based Fubon Securities Investment Trust, EDN claims Apple's revised iPhone 8, launching in March 2020, will retain its 4.7-inch LCD display but will include a new PCB design featuring an A13 processor, a single-lens rear camera, and 128GB of base storage.

Production units are expected to reach 20 million, with all orders going to manufacturer Pegatron. EDN believes the new 4.7-inch iPhone 8 will have an aggressive price tag of around $649, as Apple attempts to boost its share of the mid-tier market, where it has lost out to Chinese rivals like Oppo and Vivo.

Apple's flagship iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR devices dominate its marketing, but the company continues to offer the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, originally launched in 2017, as lower cost options alongside the even cheaper iPhone 7 series.

Current prices for the existing iPhone 8 series, which include a Home button and thick top and bottom bezels, start at $599 for a 64GB iPhone 8 or $699 for an iPhone 8 Plus. Both older iPhones are more affordable than the $749 iPhone XR, the $999 iPhone XS, and the $1099 iPhone XS Max.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, I’m using an iPhone 8 right now and still really like it but unless it’s going to be significantly cheaper than the Xr then I feel like there’s not much point in making both phones.

Last edited:
The way I browse the web with my Phone, I need a bigger phone. Yes, more websites are made for mobile, but I still find the navigation and layout to be crammed.

Need an affordable 500-600 USD iPhone in Max/Plus size.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Crazy how fast we have all accepted large phones as the standard. 4.7” seems soooo itty bitty now, but obviously we were all working perfectly fine with that size 10 years ago

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Crazy how fast we have all accepted large phones as the standard. 4.7” seems soooo itty bitty now, but obviously we were all working perfectly fine with that size 10 years ago

Ten years ago there weren't even 4.7-inch phones. The Dell Streak was considered "huge" at 5 inches, and it didn't show up until 2010. Even the Moto Droid at the end of 2009 had a 3.7-inch screen!

Chittagong

Gold Member
It bums me that we will never see a nice small budget phone from Apple, but their budget approach of peddling old shit makes financial sense, they will have been able to ride that cost curve for all the components for ages

LOLCats

Banned
Internet: Apple you've made your products too high priced
Apple: Okay we'll make a cheaper phone and charge you 650$ for it...
Internet: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I love my SE. I will keep an eye on this.

People complain about web browsing and using apps and I've found that a little bit bigger phone doesn't help me do that. I've tried to put a minimum number of tasks on my phone and use a laptop when I really want to get shit done. There is just no way you can get more efficient with a bigger screen. Its just nicer to look at content on. And even then a light portable laptop with a high res screen is even better.

Last edited:

Aurelian

I love my SE. I will keep an eye on this.

People complain about web browsing and using apps and I've found that a little bit bigger phone doesn't help me do that. I've tried to put a minimum number of tasks on my phone and use a laptop when I really want to get shit done. There is just no way you can get more efficient with a bigger screen. Its just nicer to look at content on. And even then a light portable laptop with a high res screen is even better.

Have to disagree -- you might not see extra efficiency with a bigger screen, but I do. You see more of the information you're working with; the wider keyboard is easier to type on. If I'm replying to someone's email, I don't want to have to scroll much to remember what they said. If I'm taking a photo, I want to have a clearer sense of whether or not the subject is in focus.

daveonezero

Banned
Have to disagree -- you might not see extra efficiency with a bigger screen, but I do. You see more of the information you're working with; the wider keyboard is easier to type on. If I'm replying to someone's email, I don't want to have to scroll much to remember what they said. If I'm taking a photo, I want to have a clearer sense of whether or not the subject is in focus.
I mean yeah I agree that's all true but a screen is never as good as a laptop. Its just the directions I've been going in. Less time on the phone and pull out the laptop when I want to read websites or do work.

Aurelian

I mean yeah I agree that's all true but a screen is never as good as a laptop. Its just the directions I've been going in. Less time on the phone and pull out the laptop when I want to read websites or do work.

Oh, of course not, but sometimes it's about making the most of the device you have, not waiting until you get to your ideal device. If an important company message comes in while I'm on the bus, I'm not going to wait until I'm in front of a computer to deal with it! To paraphrase a line from the photographer Chase Jarvis: the best device is the one you have with you.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
650? Is that a joke? The price of cellphones has become entirely stupid. The value just isn't there. I'll probably keep my pixel 2 xl instead of getting a new one this year when my contract is up.

Top Bottom