• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Terminates Epic Games' Developer Account

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yes, name calling makes you right, lol. Great arguments once again, that's all you ever bring to the table. Why even pretend you respond to anyone any more, just go on your passionate, detached from reality Epic/Tim loverants as the misinformed and ignorant monologues they truly are my dude:
100 posts destroying my arguments and moving goal posts and I'll cherry pick the one throwaway line just to keep the circle jerk going as if none of that happened, gg, lol.

Unrelated companies getting sued, fined, for completely unrelated things, don't apply to this other completely unrelated case. And that's the extent of the substance your arguments so far have held.

The argument Epic wants to "open up" a closed device (that Apple marketed as a closed ecosystem and consumers supported because Apple's image of what it should be is what they also wanted) doesn't hold when they also attack open platforms like Android or competitors on PC.

The argument consoles differ because Sony sells them at a loss doesn't hold either. Not all first parties sell them at a loss (even Sony doesn't always) not all companies have to run their business like Sony. Apple doesn't charge fees for multiplayer or whatever to make up for such a "loss".

The price of the devices sold is also completely irrelevant to this case, like most everything you have tried to correlate so far.

The retail comparison of boxed games doesn't work either when Sony makes sure to get compensation for any such things as well. What the terms are and the payments up to that point and if they're per copy or by volume or whatever doesn't change that it's not free like Epic wants it.

The monopoly card doesn't hold either when iOS is merely a fraction of the overall mobile/tablet market.

And that's all bullshit you've tried to push basically.

So, yes, they can simply not sign up, not agree to the contract terms Apple offers to all companies like Epic, if they don't think what they get in return is worth it. And Apple doesn't have to change the offered contract to one Epic likes if they don't feel what Epic brings is worth it.

And they most definitely could have sued them while remaining in legal business until they win and this becomes legal itself rather than put players and developers in the middle of their fight and pretend Apple did that from their side.

Timmy's in it for the money, a) to get 100% while exploiting a market Apple/Google created and b) to be the first company to launch another store on iOS and get 12% from others' releases where they got 0% while using anti competitive practices like exclusives and freebies they can afford with Fortnite money to stop any others from doing the same, yet pretending they're opening it for those others. And that's all there is to it. You're shilling for one multi billion dollar corp and its billionaire owner who broke their contracts and pretend they're better than a trillion dollar company. Pathetic.

Here's another "idiot" you didn't acknowledge.
This is increasingly disastrous for Epic, bad for Fortnite's player base, bad for iOS developers, and irrelevant to Apple.

Sweeney has little to no leverage against Apple and stands no chance in court. The sooner he capitulates and moves past this the better.
Nope, they have a chance, they're in the right, cos Sony or MS at some point got fined for doing something completely different, cos Sony sells consoles at a loss and takes money for boxed/all releases in other ways, cos billion contracts are just made up terms the other party can breach at will!

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned

Hojaho

Yes, name calling makes you right, lol. Great arguments once again, that's all you ever bring to the table. Why even pretend you respond to anyone any more, just go on your passionate, detached from reality Epic/Tim loverants as the misinformed and ignorant monologues they truly are my dude.

Here's another "idiot" you didn't acknowledge.
Nope, they have a chance, they're in the right, cos Sony or MS at some point got fined for doing something completely different, cos Sony sells consoles at a loss and takes money for boxed/all releases in other ways, cos billion contracts are just made up terms that any party can change at will!
If Sony could sell consoles at a higher price and still move as many units, they certainly would without changing their strategy. And With economy of scale, those consoles have certainly not been sold at lost for a while.

Alexios

Android is not open in practice. Google store has like 99,9% of market share and google is actively blocking other stores to be included by phone manufactures
Go here on your Android and you can get the Epic Games Store and install all you want without going through Play Store. Seems pretty dang open to me. Can't comment on that deal with just Epic's side of the story, we'll see if they win that case or not, that doesn't make Android closed.

I honestly have no idea why Epic caved and wanted to get on the Play Store, I guess it was all prepping for this (stupid) stunt they're pulling right now. They should have just kept marketing their store like they're doing so on PC with all these shady anti competitive practices and slander.

I mean, if Steam had 99.9% of the market share on Windows that wouldn't make Windows a closed platform, it's not even the OS creator's store that's leading, lol, as much slander and mud Epic has thrown its way regardless while employing tactics worse than any it argues against, lol.

Also, plenty manufacturers' phones come with other stores and apps preinstalled so it's pretty damn disingenuous to present that one instance Epic cries about as the norm too. It's shameful really but oh well. We'll see what happens with that case, it's potentially interesting, if true/ish.

I guess it may be just part of their marketing, always some windmills to attack and rile fanboys up as some kind of white knights that spread the word about the hardships of their lord and invite more people in his castle town or whatever, maybe it's been real effective so they keep at it.
If Sony could sell consoles at a higher price and still move as many units, they certainly would without changing their strategy. And With economy of scale, those consoles have certainly not been sold at lost for a while.
I was being sarcastic, that was all completely unrelated bs that certain unnamed people have somehow tried to use to argue in favor of Epic in this case, lol. I guess it wasn't obvious enough because you have seen so many claim that stupid shit for real. Sorry for the confusion mate :)

Last edited:

Hojaho

I was being sarcastic, that was all completely unrealted bs that certain unnamed people have somehow tried to use to argue in favor of Epic in this case, lol. I guess it wasn't obvious enough because you have seen so many claim that stupid shit for real. Sorry for the confusion :)

Lol my bad. So many BS regarding that lawsuit, it’s insanity.

kuncol02

Banned
Go here on your Android and you can get the Epic Games Store and install all you want without going through Play Store. Seems pretty dang open to me. Can't comment on that deal with just Epic's side of the story, we'll see if they win that case or not, that doesn't make Android closed.

I honestly have no idea why Epic caved and wanted to get on the Play Store, I guess it was all prepping for this (stupid) stunt they're pulling right now. They should have just kept marketing their store like they're doing so on PC with all these shady anti competitive practices and slander.

I mean, if Steam had 99.9% of the market share on Windows that wouldn't make Windows a closed platform, it's not even the OS creator's store that's leading, lol, as much slander and mud Epic has thrown its way regardless while employing tactics worse than any it argues against, lol.

Also, plenty manufacturers' phones come with other stores and apps preinstalled so it's pretty damn disingenuous to present that one instance Epic cries about as the norm too. It's shameful really but oh well. We'll see what happens with that case, it's potentially interesting, if true/ish.

I guess it may be just part of their marketing, always some windmills to attack and rile fanboys up as some kind of white knights that spread the word about the hardships of their lord and invite more people in his castle town or whatever, maybe it's been real effective so they keep at it.

I was being sarcastic, that was all completely unrealted bs that certain unnamed people have somehow tried to use to argue in favor of Epic in this case, lol. I guess it wasn't obvious enough because you have seen so many claim that stupid shit for real. Sorry for the confusion mate :)
You really don't understand what's the problem there?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
No you can't. Wordpress was forced to sell they comerciall addons in they app, not only through they website. You can't inform people how they can buy things outside of your app cheaper and in your app (that's not app store) you are forced to use Apple payment api.

That is a completely separate scenario and has nothing to do with what I said.

What I said was that developers aren't forced to ONLY sell their in-app content via iOS. I proved this by giving the different sources where people could buy V-Bucks outside of iOS.

What you said is that a developer was forced to sell its content via iOS in addition to where it was selling it already.

Those are separate issues, and I agree that (if true) Apple is crap for forcing that. (I did preface my initial post by saying that I hate Apple.) Don't tell me I'm wrong because you failed to read my post.

ape2man

Netflix doesn’t offer In App subscriptions on ios. You simply login with your login credentials and you can view your shows/movies. Netflix doesn’t pay apple anything because of that, Apple gets 0%.
Epic could have done the same with Fortnite and disabled IAP as you can still add Vbucks to your account purchased from gift cards or direct from the Epic store. That way they would pay Apple 0% as well as they wouldn’t have IAP on ios.
Epic wants to continue to have IAP though and pay Apple nothing at the same time.
You can do one or the other, but not both. Greedy Epic wants both.

They dont offer it because they are not allowed to ask for a higher price then they are offering somewhere else.

NinjaBoiX

The argument goes so that "don't sign up then (to the rules someone makes up at will)" is a luxury that dominant players should not have.
Do you have receipts to show Apple “making up the rules at will”, as this is hugely important for your argument to not crumple like a paper cup.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that a company as enormous as Apple would just amend their T&C’s to suit themselves after the fact and just hope that nobody noticed.

Because people would definitely notice.

What makes you think they did this? I’m genuinely intrigued.

llien

Do you have receipts to show Apple “making up the rules at will”
So T&C is not set of rules written exclusively at Apple's discretion?

amend their T&C’s to suit themselves after the fact
Dude, you are again arguing against a point nobody is making.
NOBODY IS ACCUSING Apple of changing the rules they make up post factum.

The argument goes.. hell, letter for letter as in the previous post.

NinjaBoiX

So T&C is not set of rules written exclusively at Apple's discretion?

Dude, you are again arguing against a point nobody is making.
NOBODY IS ACCUSING Apple of changing the rules they make up post factum.

The argument goes.. hell, letter for letter as in the previous post.
This is like talking to a bag of potatoes. You make no sense, I literally don’t even know what your argument is.

“They make up the rules on the spot!”

“No they didn’t, it was in an agreement that Epic signed up to ahead of time.”

“Yeah, but those rules are at Apple’s discretion.”

“So? They didn’t have to agree to them, they could’ve suggested this change of plan at the time if it was such an issue for them. They went in with their eyes wide open.”

“POST FACTUM!”

What are you talking about?

Laters.

llien

This is like talking to a bag of potatoes.
Mm, never tried. I'd be scared if a bag of potatoes started replying.

I literally don’t even know what your argument is.
That much is obvious.

“They make up the rules on the spot!”
If this is supposed to mean changing T&C post factum, I've never said that, you made it up in your mind.

They didn’t have to agree to them
As people didn't have to buy gas from The Standard Oil Company.

What are you talking about?
From #199
The argument goes so that "don't sign up then (to the rules someone makes up at will)" is a luxury that dominant players should not have.

Too hard to comprehend? Ok, let me rephrase: Apple should NOT be allowed to put overly restrictive stuff into T&C (because of its dominant market position).

Now, do you see how misplaced the "but they've signed T&C" response is?

ape2man

Apple requires you to use universal pricing across all platforms. If you offer 10$ subscription on your website, you also have to offer a 10$ subscription on the IOS App. You are not allowed to ask a higher price, essentially they are dictating the price point across all platforms because of this policy.

Because apple is such a dominant player in the market what players do is increase the subscription price everywhere. So now you cant subscribe on the website for 10$ but on 13$ because the website has a IOS App.

Last edited:

Alexios

I mean, it could be $10 everywhere, or, if the additional revenue on the App Store userbase doesn't cover for that 30% fee, not offer it! Lol @ the notion Apple is price fixing high prices, when apps are known for being $1/free on mobiles as players aren't willing to pay with the common memes about folks paying upwards of $1000 for a phone but not parting with $1 for an app (but even if they were price fixing, that would be a completely different case, lawsuit and fine that has nothing to do with what Epic wants to achieve here anyway, like most other "arguments" coming in to support Epic against big bad evil Apple, lol, it's pretty sad really, just obfuscating the real topic with bullshit). Epic's not fighting that anyway, on PC prices are generally the exact same on EGS (often higher in some regions where Steam supports local currencies but EGS doesn't, maybe with an exception or two for the opposite), rather than have those fabled trickle down economics result in lower prices across the board. Steam does have a similar clause to Apple mind, but it's different in that it's only the Steam version that has to be priced similarly (with vague leeway on when a similar sale may occur on Steam after/before one elsewhere) on random key sellers or what have you. Non Steam versions (ie Epic Store keys, gog versions, etc.) have no restrictions. So, that's not what stops Epic (not to mention their exclusives pricing). The Fortnite deal was clearly a not representative stunt.

Last edited:

iHaunter

EzvvDZS.jpg

Actually no, what Apple did was illegal. Pretty sure developer tools are in the contract and affects other services.

johntown

Banned
It just keeps getting better ROFL Tim Sweeney this what you get for being such a troll!

Apple will seek damages against Epic Games for allegedly breaching its contract with the iOS App Store, in a new escalation of the two companies’ ongoing legal fight. The move came in a filing entered on Tuesday, alongside counterclaims for unjust enrichment and tortious interference with Apple’s relationship with its customers.

“Epic’s flagrant disregard for its contractual commitments and other misconduct has caused significant harm to Apple,” the filing reads. “Left unchecked, Epic’s conduct threatens the very existence of the iOS ecosystem and its tremendous value to consumers.”

BeardGawd

Banned
"tremendous value". gtfo here. They are gatekeeping anyone else from making money from someone that owns their phone.

Essentially Apple doesn't want to be the dumb pipe that they are. Imagine if Internet providers decided any business that makes revenue online has to pay 30% to them. I mean if it wasn't for those internet providers they couldn't do business right? Makes as much sense here as forcing 30% on every developer because you have a duopoly on the market.

nochance

Banned
Apple is the most anti consumer company in existence. Their popularity hangs on two countires: UK and USA.

It would be excellent if this hurt them in any way, but it won't, they are a religion and they rake in enough cash to buy out half of Africa and create their own version of USA.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Apple is the most anti consumer company in existence. Their popularity hangs on two countires: UK and USA.

It would be excellent if this hurt them in any way, but it won't, they are a religion and they rake in enough cash to buy out half of Africa and create their own version of USA.

I think Apple has something like 60% of the market in Japan.

Top Bottom