• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to Release Gaming Mac in 2020

VAVA Mk2

Flintty

Ha. Before even seeing the price tag I was thinking about the PC rig you could get for the equivalent cash. Fuck that shit. Good luck.gif

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I want nothing of Apple, as it relates to gaming.

I know this is gonna sound petty, but I don't appreciate what they did to the gaming industry by introducing and developing the App Store. Which in my insignificant view was a terrible occurrence, that brought forward such a thing as "gacha" gaming, and all the crap that came with it.

Congratulations Apple, I hope everybody buys your overpriced computers.

Last edited:

TechJunk

I want nothing of Apple, as it relates to gaming.

I know this is gonna sound petty, but I don't appreciate what they did to the gaming industry by introducing and developing the App Store. Which in my insignificant view was a terrible occurrence, that brought forward such a thing as "gacha" gaming, and all the crap that came with it.

Congratulations Apple, I hope everybody buys your overpriced computers.

Apple Arcade is an attempt to correct that at least, similar to GamePass.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's nuts. 5 grand is enough to buy the very best normal PC parts and have someone assemble it for you. Why would anyone game on a MAC of all things?

Status. Keeping it part of the ecosystem. Personal preference. Any number of reasons and the people who spend money on things like this can do so without having to worry about the bank account. As much as I enjoy Apple products, I will skip, regardless of how expensive or inexpensive this would have been. I prefer having physical games and not digital, and sadly PC is almost entirely digital these days.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hmm. I am in the market for a Mac Pro, and I would like to see this option, but I am not sure I have the patience to wait.
The price isn't an issue, but the video card offerings of the Mac Pro, are pretty lame. You have to put a third party AMD card to upgrade to something decent, and even then you lose the ability to have thunderbolt displays, which would render the purchase of the XDR display pointless.
Maybe this is a better option... ugh.

gatti-man

Didn’t work in the past won’t work now. Ridiculously expensive and won’t perform as well as a pc equivalent. I’d love an actual gaming Apple computer if it wasnt 3x more than the pc equivalent and had equal support (which you know it won’t)

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Doubt.

Arcade isn't enough to push them to make this, and they've never been interested in the space.

Now if you HAPPEN to make a high performance system that would be good at games, it is also a high performance compute system for a lot of other things, so perhaps if the rumor has any truth to it it's just higher power variants on consumer macs, without having to go to their iMac Pro/Mac Pro Xeon lines if you don't need the ECC etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's for gaming professionals, you wouldn't understand

AdljoYT.png

DrNeroCF

This is a huge hole in Apple's market, they used to have entry level Mac Pros for a decent price, but now they expect everyone to go with an iMac instead of something modular.

Hackintoshes fill a huge blind spot in Apple's lineup, which is absurd.

Would be nice if Apple took graphics drivers and games seriously for once, though. It's been 2 major OS releases without (modern) Nvidia card support, the heck.

$5k at the top though? As long as the cheapest is $1000 - $1,500, this would be a good move.

This is a huge hole in Apple's market, they used to have entry level Mac Pros for a decent price, but now they expect everyone to go with an iMac instead of something modular.

Hackintoshes fill a huge blind spot in Apple's lineup, which is absurd.

Would be nice if Apple took graphics drivers and games seriously for once, though. It's been 2 major OS releases without (modern) Nvidia card support, the heck.

$5k at the top though? As long as the cheapest is $1000 - $1,500, this would be a good move.
Errr...

Xmengrey

I don't see how Apple thinks they could get away with charging up to 5K for a Gaming Mac when they don't even have the mindshare, nor do they have the software support for it.
Unless they have something like Steam Proton or WINE that can run all Windows games on this Mac computer charging anywhere near 5K for it would be lunacy.

When people want gaming they go for PC, it has the software support, it's upgradable, you can freely change the operating system to Linux if you want, it's a full open standard. You can even build them yourself which I'd imagine quite a lot of PC gamers if not the majority do, or buy alienware, or ibuypower gaming prebuilds

I just don't see what a gaming mac could bring to the table especially if the price tag is more than what's on a PC.
When people look into Macs it's more for creative work, Windows and Linux are gaming WIndows more so..

I mean from a market perspective what exactly do they have to offer to the PC Gaming space at all really.
The only way for Apple to break into that would either to be cheaper but more poweful, or very powerful at convenient form factors which PCs are going to have.
I mean how would they appeal to desktop gamers currently anyway because 5K implies high-end desktop PC. Honestly this just speaks disaster in my opinion unless Apple has a unique offer I can't see this working out for them.

Anki

Banned
I don't think this rumor is correct. There are so many reasons Apple will not release gaming computer in near future.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'll believe it when i see it....actually i don't think i will.

who in their right mind buys a Mac for gaming? Sure, maybe if you're a casual who likes to play something to pass the time while travelling or something but if you're half serious about playing games on a computer you'd surely just go build a PC? Not only is Mac hardware severely overpriced but the library of games is just so small.

of course, it's apple so people will buy it no matter what. if people have more money than sense then whatever. they can do what they like :)

Top Bottom