• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Unleashed | Oct 18, 2021

TTOOLL

Anyone 'member how AMD was on the HSA (this new magic unified memory) train so long ago with Kaveri (or earlier?), but didn't have the clout to really gain adoption?

I 'member. Wonder where we would be if it did and became a PC standard years ago.

I don’t member this but it makes sense it failed, the market for standalone memory chips must be insanely huge.

Few companies can pull something like this off, or maybe only Apple.

moniker

The notch is so dumb. What percentage of users actually use a laptop webcam in such a way that you can justify giving up the screen real estate?

The area below the notch is 16:10. These new screens have more screen real estate than their old laptops.

The notch is dumb as shit but it sits in a spot that is not normally used. I never use the webcam on a laptop ever so if its there it better have a use like Face ID. I'm really tempted but my 13" pro is not even 2 years old and I do want a 16" screen but I think next year they will cave to pressure for the only thing they screwed up on and give it Face ID. And it's never good to buy the first year of new technology.

But I'm sure most people that has a MacBook with Touch ID would agree Touch ID is just fine by itself.

LordOfChaos

So? You give up however many pixels the notch cuts away from the panel.

Their point is it's only extra screen real estate. The menu bar is pushed up into the notch region so you actually get a little extra. In fullscreen apps and content the notch region is just blacked out like the normal old screen. Without it the menu bar would be pushed back down and you'd lose that much screen again.

I'm over it. It doesn't look amazing but the rest of the laptop and chip are such knockouts.

LordOfChaos

So the lack of a taper does make it look a bit chunkier, but pretty well close to the same thickness. I think it looks much better in person than in the marketing, and I'd gladly take that for everything else they've corrected.

Tams

Gold Member
I don't think a notch is such an issue on such large display (I'm fine with the side on my Fold) as you don't lose screen real estate (in fact you gain some as the extra screen space is enough for the menu bar.

And the M1 looks like it will be very impressive.

But the lack of variety and choice in the Apple garden makes it a no go for me. And then there's their recent attitude to user data stored locally that has completely put me off Apple for life. They could make something ten times better than the competition and I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Anyone 'member how AMD was on the HSA (this new magic unified memory) train so long ago with Kaveri (or earlier?), but didn't have the clout to really gain adoption?

I 'member. Wonder where we would be if it did and became a PC standard years ago.

Didn't that heavily rely on HBM, that was in too short supply and too expensive anyway? And Apple got some AMD GPUs with HBM memory in their last x86 laptops.

Last edited:
45219-87972-14-inch-MBP-Comparison-xl.jpg

That notch looks pretty jarring to me.

GeekyDad

Can I ask a newbie question here? My wife and I just got a couple of iPhone SE 2020s. I use gmail for my emails. I'm guessing you have to download a gmail app. When I tried to use YT for the first time, it told me Google would use my info and such, so I just used it without logging in. I'm assuming gmail will, of course, require the same thing. How much of a shit storm will I unleash on my phone if I give these apps the go ahead?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can I ask a newbie question here? My wife and I just got a couple of iPhone SE 2020s. I use gmail for my emails. I'm guessing you have to download a gmail app. When I tried to use YT for the first time, it told me Google would use my info and such, so I just used it without logging in. I'm assuming gmail will, of course, require the same thing. How much of a shit storm will I unleash on my phone if I give these apps the go ahead?
Nothing you probably aren't used to already.

If it helps, sign into your google through the default email client. Go to the web version of various apps (even gmail is semi-functional).

RCU005

45219-87972-14-inch-MBP-Comparison-xl.jpg

That notch looks pretty jarring to me.

The New MBP is horrible! The notch is disgusting, and also makes the menu bar way too thick, which also goes little bit past the notch, so what's the point? Hopefully that's fixed with a future update.

The screen has curved corners on top and square corners on the bottom. WHY?

Everything else seems mostly the same. I believe the keyboard is the same feeling-wise as the old one, sans Touch Bar.

What is wrong with Apple lately? Their design team lacks perfectionism that Apple was known for. It's like they don't care anymore. The design of the icons from Big Sur onward is atrocious. Why not make them the same as the iPhone if that's what they want anyway?

I predict they will get rid of the notch fast because they are getting a lot of backlash even from avid fans. This is their worst screen design ever. This is the worst designed screen ever counting every computer, phone, TV and devices that have a screen on them.

Last edited:
The New MBP is horrible! The notch is disgusting, and also makes the menu bar way too thick, which also goes little bit past the notch, so what's the point? Hopefully that's fixed with a future update.

Everything else seems mostly the same. I believe the keyboard is the same feeling-wise as the old one, sans Touch Bar.

What is wrong with Apple lately? Their design team lacks perfectionism that Apple was known for. It's like they don't care anymore. The design of the icons from Big Sur onward is atrocious. Why not make them the same as the iPhone if that's what they want anyway?

I predict they will get rid of the notch fast because they are getting a lot of backlash even from avid fans. This is their worst screen design ever. This is the worst designed screen ever counting every computer, phone, TV and devices that have a screen on them.
Yeah, now i just want to wait for an updated Macbook Air or something.

GeekyDad

So, my phone is saying there's an update to iOS 14.8.1. Recommended to update, or should I wait. I assume I'm still on the previous one, iOS 13.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So, my phone is saying there's an update to iOS 14.8.1. Recommended to update, or should I wait. I assume I'm still on the previous one, iOS 13.
Well 13 -> 14 is a decent jump. There have been lots of security updates along the way. I generally keep my phone up to date whenever possible.I'm on 15.1 at the moment, which I believe is the most recent version. So My advice is pull the trigger.

GeekyDad

Well 13 -> 14 is a decent jump. There have been lots of security updates along the way. I generally keep my phone up to date whenever possible.I'm on 15.1 at the moment, which I believe is the most recent version. So My advice is pull the trigger.
Thank you.

Seems I was mistaken, though. I think I must already have 14, but I guess this is an updated version. It seems to ask for a permission, which surprised me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thank you.

Seems I was mistaken, though. I think I must already have 14, but I guess this is an updated version. It seems to ask for a permission, which surprised me.
Yeah, I believe the upgrade to ios15 is a manual opt-in. At the very least, I had to hit install myself but I also updated first day.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I believe the upgrade to ios15 is a manual opt-in. At the very least, I had to hit install myself but I also updated first day.
How is it thus far? I'm just afraid of jumping in too early. I know some folks were suggesting to hold off until a few more updates (working out the kinks and such).

Last edited:

You mean the same way they got rid off the notch on their phones while other brands dont have it? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nah that thing will stay for awhile. Not saying I like it but the M1 Pro and MAX chips are such massive upgrades in tech, i dont want the most beautiful laptop. I want a killer machine on the go. Every time Apple went for looks/minimalism it ended up in issues: iphone 6 bending, 2016 trash keyboards literally all because of this obsession with thinness.

Getting chunkier we got a more powerful, less heat prone quality laptop.

GeekyDad

No issues I’ve encountered so far.
Update: So glad I updated. I know this is gonna sound silly, but I truly use my phone mainly for alarms at work. My boss will rattle off things I need to get done for the day, and I can't remember all this shit, plus what I normally need to get done on a given day. Geez, the iOS 15 lets me just tell Siri to set an alarm for whatever, whenever, and bam -- I'm good to go. Kissed my phone yesterday. A simple little thing made me instantly fall in love. :D

I still don't like the fact that you can't set an alarm for a specific day or date like you can with Android, but eh...

Last edited:
Top Bottom