• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Unleashed | Oct 18, 2021

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The display with cutout for camera looks weird on a laptop. I imagine the user would get used to it quickly. But it was jarring at first.

Variable refresh rate up to 120hz is nice.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh man these look awesome. Bracing myself for the price....

brace monsanto GIF

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
the slim bezels, 70% cpu performance uptick, real ports, high quality HDR. they are knocking this out of the park when they were already top dog for laptops.
Yep. Price might be the deal breaker. I am wanting to get in on that M1 life but it's gotta be a good price for me to trade-in my 2019 MacBook Pro.

rofif

Banned
I am not getting a laptop but 120hz mini led display ?! Wow. That's impressive. And it's adjusting hz in real time.
I wonder how many dimming zones and if it's VA or IPS

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Now I have to decide if I am waiting for the iMac Pro (who knows when that will release) or stick with the MacBook form factor.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm, not sure if I am going to upgrade, recently splashed 2.5k on M1 and I think I am good for few years. Especially when it's not my main PC.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This shit was huge guys.
120 pro motion display? i am set... Felt so bad going from my main 120hz to my MBP m1 macbook. ( i returned it because the dongle life suuuucked)
glad i waited for 1 year.

1999 dollars for the base model 14 inch?
i swear this thing better come with 512GB ssd minimum.. or they can go f off with that price.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Wait. Do the 3rd Gen bas AirPods also have MagSafe charging? Cool if so. I still want to upgrade to the Pros for noise cancellation for travel.

This shit was huge guys.
120 pro motion display? i am set... Felt so bad going from my main 120hz to my MBP m1 macbook. ( i returned it because the dongle life suuuucked)
glad i waited for 1 year.

1999 dollars for the base model 14 inch?
i swear this thing better come with 512GB ssd minimum.. or they can go f off with that price.
Lore posted the base pricing up further. 512gb confirmed.

Last edited:

dem

Did they do away with tapping on your Airpods?
I loved tapping. The squeeze on the Pro's sucks.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wait. Do the 3rd Gen bas AirPods also have MagSafe charging? Cool if so. I still want to upgrade to the Pros for noise cancellation for travel.

Lore posted the base pricing up further. 512gb confirmed.
good now i actually give a shit.

base model is 2249? i'm ok with that

Last edited:

deafmedal

Hmmm. Laptop looks nice, glad the touch bar is gone. Notch is odd but otherwise looks nice. Glad something like this is what I’ll be upgrading to when my ‘15 finally kicks it.

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm curious about the screen size comparison.

I've a 2014 15 inch model. That said it has a good amount of border space between the edges of the screen.

This new model seems to have very little space and is almost up against the edge of the screen. So I wonder if the 14 inch model might have about the same actual screen space as an old 15 inch model?

Because I'd definitely want to save a bit if I can, and I wouldn't need a larger display than what I already have.

But yeah, aside from the bizarre notch (Apple being Apple) the rest looks pretty good (yay no touch bar!)

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Thinking more about the notch, it actually takes a space we never use unless you go fullscreen which I never did when I had my Macbook Air. So maybe it's not that bad considering the extra screen space. The rest was amazing,

deafmedal

Thinking more about the notch, it actually takes a space we never use unless you go fullscreen which I never did when I had my Macbook Air. So maybe it's not that bad considering the extra screen space. The rest was amazing,
I use full screen for Ableton Live on both my MBP and iMac, I try to squeeze everything I can for it. That notch will render full screen worthless for Live I reckon. Oh well, I’ll be going from a 13” so it’ll be fantastic regardless.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Is Windows running on a Mac still a thing on M1? I’m due for a new work computer and have some say in what I get, but it needs to be able to run Windows

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is Windows running on a Mac still a thing on M1? I’m due for a new work computer and have some say in what I get, but it needs to be able to run Windows
Only versions of Windows that support ARM as I understand it. I also think you need a Parallels subscription for it to work. But I don't know for certain as I have never had the need. I have a Windows machine in the living room and just remote in whenever I need windows for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Only versions of Windows that support ARM as I understand it. I also think you need a Parallels subscription for it to work. But I don't know for certain as I have never had the need. I have a Windows machine in the living room and just remote in whenever I need windows for whatever reason.
Probably won’t be worth the trouble then. I’ll probably just get whatever slim Windows PC I can find that maxes out the budget and figure out my personal portable computer situation later. My kid has turned my 2017 iPad Pro into a Disney+ machine

McCheese

Even when you remove all of apples usual hyperbole these are incredible. Those fucking specs, at that power consumption and price point - this is Apple R&D curb-stomping the professional PC laptop market after the M1 last year already downed them.

What is the Mac Pro using their own silicon going to be like? if they double the bus on this and get 128GB RAM, and double the GPU cores - they'll be able to compete with $40,000 workstations. The ports coming back too, MagSafe, xhdr screen and keyboard.. urg, how did they get this thing so right. I'm super chuffed with my M1 from last year still but now secretly hoping it gets dropped down the stairs.

If only Apple did as much for gaming as they did for music and video, they would be a major market disruptor.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrebleShot

Apple absolutely killing the tech sector and driving innovation forwards.

once they have tapped the pro and general consumer markets with these beasts they will surely look into market sectors they haven’t tapped into for growth ie: high end gaming.

Papacheeks

Banned
Define, "does more."

Workstations usually have multiple ports like hdmi+display port on top of faster ethernet for faster network transfers if u have a NAS.

Also you are not limited to apple editing software. CAD among things like ZBRUSH are written for direct x api. So you can get late steps Radeon or nbudia render card along with latest intel/and which also have customizations with cache+vram. Direct storage is coming and if your 3d development environment workstation laptop is way to go. For production looks like apple might be a great option again for mostly adobe/apple production applications.

but still you can get way more for the money going pc.
A workstation with a good 4k dock is still less than what apple is offering.

McCheese

I've been reading some of the freshly published docs on this chip and the M1 Max is specced for a maximum of 18 tflops at 55 watts maximum draw.

For console comparison, the PS5 is 10.5 tflops at around 340 watts (but that's for the whole system) - so both the M1 Pro and M1 Max surpass the PS5 in terms of raw graphics performance.

Now let's look at the desktop-grade RTX 3080 card which can perform 29 flops at 320 watts.

As a thought exercise, let's say apple could scale this chip to draw 320 watts for the desktop Pro systems, which would equate to just over 100 tflops, terrifying. I know chips cannot just be "scaled up" and have to be redesigned around thermal loads and power draws; but I'm pretty confident that whatever Apple does with their pro-lineup SoC wise will be considerably powerful than the best dedicated PC GPU on the market. Sucks they don't embrace Vulkan and lock that power behind Metal and MoltenVK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Bass

Workstations usually have multiple ports like hdmi+display port on top of faster ethernet for faster network transfers if u have a NAS.

Also you are not limited to apple editing software. CAD among things like ZBRUSH are written for direct x api. So you can get late steps Radeon or nbudia render card along with latest intel/and which also have customizations with cache+vram. Direct storage is coming and if your 3d development environment workstation laptop is way to go. For production looks like apple might be a great option again for mostly adobe/apple production applications.

but still you can get way more for the money going pc.
A workstation with a good 4k dock is still less than what apple is offering.
Yeah, I don't agree with this.

"Way more for the money" ... there is no equivalent to what Apple is doing on the PC side. How do you replicate what they just announced? Yeah there are PC specific workflows that you can't do on Mac if you need Nvidia cards, sure. Have you seen how many hi-res monitors you can drive with these laptops? Where are you going to get the CPU performance this laptop has on the PC (at all) and do so with its thermal envelope?

It doesn't exist.

I personally think, as a result, your definition of "does more" is tenuous at best. These laptops are new benchmarks across the entire computing world.

Yoda

Been waiting a long time for this re-design. My current MBP is from 2013 (15in, has the nvidia discrete GPU). Was almost a 100/100 from me, notch + no faceID doesn't really make sense to me, but everything else is amazing. Will probably pull the trigger on a maxed out 16in.

Top Bottom