• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Zutroy

I’m walking 26 miles in a few days. Will my series two last the whole walk if I use it as an outdoor walk exercise session? Or will the GPS kill it before the end? Think the estimated time for completion is sometime between 7-9 hours.

I’m walking 26 miles in a few days. Will my series two last the whole walk if I use it as an outdoor walk exercise session? Or will the GPS kill it before the end? Think the estimated time for completion is sometime between 7-9 hours.

I’m not sure but taking your phone along and turning the heart rate monitor off would give you your best chance
(Watch > Workout > Power Saving Mode)

SuperPac

The black is what I have my eye on. I love how it actually has a bunch of colors mixed in to create a heather black instead of solid black.

Received the Apple Black Sport Loop band. Wow is it comfortable. Prior to this I was using Apple’s woven nylon band (also black). This is much softer feeling against the wrist and it seems to breathe well. Not sure how it would hold up over exercise and whatnot but this is my new favorite band.

Pavaloo

I posted this in the pre-order thread, but it's probably more appropriate over here!

"So I was pretty dead set on getting an Apple Watch prior to their event, but opted to wait for new hardware. That said the new hardware looks awesome, but I have a few questions if anyone could speak to them:

1 - How good is the heart rate monitor + program at tracking weight lifting?
I'm pretty confident it will be absolutely fine tracking running, but I enjoyed how my Fitbit Blaze had a 'Weights' fitness component.

2 - Is it worth buying the cellular version if my carrier doesn't support it?
It's only a $100 difference between the base and the cell version in Canada, but my carrier doesn't support the device. Is this like a cell phone where I shouldn't buy the cell version now because when one comes out working with Rogers/Fido/etc. it will receive a signal on a different network or 'band' ?

3 - Does the Nike branded Apple Watch have a completely different watch face or something? Can it be reverted back?
Looks like it comes with a sports band as the base model which would save me an extra $80 on one of the sport loops."

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

pbsapeer

Banned
1 -
The heart rate monitor is good for my running. It seems pretty accurate but I'm not really comparing it apart from when I've really pushed hard and found my heart rate is higher haha. I don't do weight lifting so can't say how that tracking is - sorry.

2 -
I have the SERIES 2 and there is no chance of me upgrading at the moment. Cellular to me seems extremely pointless. I cannot think of a time when I would need it and be without my phone - especially as it will only last 1 hour. I have been without my phone but connected to a previous connected WiFi network which has allowed me to get texts and reply to them. The GPS is excellent though and again, is perfect for running. the cellular is your choice, but I don't see the value at all.

3 - Does the Nike branded Apple Watch have a completely different watch face or something? Can it be reverted back?
Looks like it comes with a sports band as the base model which would save me an extra $80 on one of the sport loops."
I think the Nike watch has an exclusive watch face which the standard watch won't have. You can just choose a different watch face that's available on the other ones. The sport bands are super comfy and waterproof so easy for cleaning when they get sweaty.

Hope that helps.

Vuze

1. There is a single weight training profile available but that's all I can tell you about it unfortunately. watchOS 4 introduces quite a large update to the workout app as well, perhaps sb running the GM or beta can chime in if it brings more weight related options.

3. The Nike watch face is exclusive to the Nike branded watches. Watch faces are "pages" you can swipe through and you can remove and customize them at any time. So if you dislike the Nike face, you'll never have to use it.

Pavaloo

1 -
The heart rate monitor is good for my running. It seems pretty accurate but I'm not really comparing it apart from when I've really pushed hard and found my heart rate is higher haha. I don't do weight lifting so can't say how that tracking is - sorry.

2 -
I have the SERIES 2 and there is no chance of me upgrading at the moment. Cellular to me seems extremely pointless. I cannot think of a time when I would need it and be without my phone - especially as it will only last 1 hour. I have been without my phone but connected to a previous connected WiFi network which has allowed me to get texts and reply to them. The GPS is excellent though and again, is perfect for running. the cellular is your choice, but I don't see the value at all.

I think the Nike watch has an exclusive watch face which the standard watch won't have. You can just choose a different watch face that's available on the other ones. The sport bands are super comfy and waterproof so easy for cleaning when they get sweaty.

Hope that helps.

1. There is a single weight training profile available but that's all I can tell you about it unfortunately. watchOS 4 introduces quite a large update to the workout app as well, perhaps sb running the GM or beta can chime in if it brings more weight related options.

3. The Nike watch face is exclusive to the Nike branded watches. Watch faces are "pages" you can swipe through and you can remove and customize them at any time. So if you dislike the Nike face, you'll never have to use it.

Thank you that's all very helpful!

Fitbit actually categorizes all weight training as one profile as well so that's not a loss to me. It's good to know that profile is there though, I was under the assumption it wasn't last time I was looking into iWatches.

Looks like if I order the Nike+ version it won't come until Oct 5th so I think I'll end up getting the regular one in the end anyway since it'll be here next Friday :p

watchOS 4 runs nice on my Series 0 watch, I LOVE the Siri watch face, but it kills my battery.

I got it on launch and would be around 50% at the end of the day. This week, I'm around 10%. I'm hoping further os updates help in the future.

Blackhead

Redarse
watchOS 4 runs nice on my Series 0 watch, I LOVE the Siri watch face, but it kills my battery.

I got it on launch and would be around 50% at the end of the day. This week, I'm around 10%. I'm hoping further os updates help in the future.

lmao, you know better than that.

Take it to the genius bar. I took a series 0 SS earlier this year, before the applecare+ ran out, and they replaced it after I cited battery issues due to watchOS3. I had to wait two weeks to get the replacement though.
i immediately sold the replacement

lmao, you know better than that.

Take it to the genius bar. I took a series 0 SS earlier this year, before the applecare+ ran out, and they replaced it after I cited battery issues due to watchOS3. I had to wait two weeks to get the replacement though.
i immediately sold the replacement

I never got AppleCare +, it's 2.5 years old anyway. I'll keep it around for another year then get Series 4.

So far iOS 11 and watchOS 4 are more reliable in showing the battery percentage left on my AirPods when checking their battery status on the watch. Does this match up to anyone else? Before, my watch would lose track of the AirPods and never display the battery percentage when swiping up and tapping the battery icon.

cjp

I wonder why they decided to set the watchOS 4 dock to default to recents and not favourites...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Was probably took 90 min to update for me.
Was luckyZ

I’ve waited an hour for a 10 song playlist before.

Is there anyway to customize what gets shown in the Siri watch face?

If there isn't I don't know. There's just the one complication and I think everything else is their "proactive" stuff.

For me, it is a top news story, apple stock price, and sunset time as the defaults (i.e., when I have no timers, calendar events, or reminders).

Is there anyway to customize what gets shown in the Siri watch face?

If there isn't I don't know. There's just the one complication and I think everything else is their "proactive" stuff.

For me, it is a top news story, apple stock price, and sunset time as the defaults (i.e., when I have no timers, calendar events, or reminders).

To a limited extent. In the watch app if you tap on the siri watch face when it's already in your face list, you can add and remove sources

It is silly how long it takes to update the watch OS or upload a playlist.

Also, are they adding the ability to sync more than one playlist to the watch memory with this new update?

It is silly how long it takes to update the watch OS or upload a playlist.

Also, are they adding the ability to sync more than one playlist to the watch memory with this new update?

Yes. By default, since I subscribe to Apple Music, it syncs My Favorites Mix, My New Music Mix, and My Chill Mix. You can turn those off and sub for whatever you want. They don't even have to be playlists anymore, looks like you can sync individual albums/songs as well.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about the LTE series 3 is the bump to 16GB of storage. They could just let us put more than 2GB of music on the 8GB one, but barring that this is a great option

Yes. By default, since I subscribe to Apple Music, it syncs My Favorites Mix, My New Music Mix, and My Chill Mix. You can turn those off and sub for whatever you want. They don't even have to be playlists anymore, looks like you can sync individual albums/songs as well.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about the LTE series 3 is the bump to 16GB of storage. They could just let us put more than 2GB of music on the 8GB one, but barring that this is a great option

Cool. I don't use AppleMusic anymore (it fucked my iTunes library up something fierce when it first launched), but would love to put multiple playlists on my watch. Glad that is in now.

Now just waiting for the Watch OS to finish installing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wowwww it’s like the Apple Watch is finally real :eek:
So far this is a fantastic update!!

Here's a tip: On the watch, go into Settings>General>Wake Screen to disable autolaunch audio apps if that's bugging you. It's also strange because it would sometime launch Now Playing or Overcast. (just playing podcasts, no music).

So...does this let me change the calendar status of an event (like if I color code to different calendars and want to manually change the calendar?).

It's literally the only thing I need ;___;

Vuze

placebo or is the Apple Watch S2 now a lot faster? because it feels way snappier and more responsive.
I don’t think it’s placebo. Apps on my Gen 1 open up incredibly fast now (they hinted at this during WWDC but I was a bit reluctant to believe them). I’m actually kind of impressed. Apple engineers at it again with their black magic

Damn, seems like you can’t change the color of complications on the Siri watch face. :(

Just Seen this on reddit... 😢
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/716eza/her_final_notification/?st=J7SNER8R&sh=9675a75a

My S2 opens noticeably faster as well

Geez. Is watchOS the only OS releases to get faster each update, even on older hardware, for two and a half years straight?

pbsapeer

Banned
Well I've just been for my morning run with the new OS and some things:

- the auto play playlist when starting a workout is great. My god it was frustrating starting a workout and then getting music going whilst running. Great job

- the flashlight is great when running in the dark. It's really bright and helped me avoid some dog shit. Boy does the battery drain though. After a 5k run it was already at 79%. Expected but worth it.

- it feels a lot snappier. The whole watch seems to work more flawlessly and smoother.

Can't wait to try out the new siri watch face.

Majine

Banned
I kinda want to upgrade from Series 0 to 3, mainly so I can swim with it, but feels wrong going from the stainless steel to Aluminum, which is the only one available.

Vuze

I kinda want to upgrade from Series 0 to 3, mainly so I can swim with it, but feels wrong going from the stainless steel to Aluminum, which is the only one available.
I feel you man. I can't go back to Aluminium after having used both for a few months. Perhaps be on the lookout for a Series 2 SS, I don't think the water resistance in Series 3 has increased?

Blackhead

Redarse
First reviews for Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE
APPLE WATCH SERIES 3 WITH LTE REVIEW: MISSED CONNECTIONS
TheVerge said:
A smartwatch with LTE will, in theory, let you go for a run, buy a coffee, splash in the ocean, or simply step away from the phone and still be connected. A smartwatch with LTE will, in theory, let you call a ride home when your smartphone dies before your watch does.

In theory. In reality, my Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE failed at the LTE part...

Apple Watch Series 3 Review: Untethered... and Unreliable (Joanna Stern, WSJ)

Review: Apple Watch Series 3 unlocks new potential with LTE, dramatically improved Siri
9to5Mac said:
After using Apple Watch Series 3 for several days, it’s clear to me that LTE largely fulfills the promises made by the original Apple Watch. If the idea of getting away from your iPhone without being totally disconnected gives you peace of mind, Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular is for you...

For me, cellular service on Apple Watch is primarily for being a phone call away from family and friends in the event of an emergency. Apple Watch Series 2 pushed me to start outdoor running after testing its built-in GPS, but running without the iPhone means going off the grid...

Apple Music streaming (which is the other major appeal for me) is coming but won’t be available until next month so nothing to report on that experience yet. (Also fingers crossed for an Apple Podcasts app with streaming in the future.)...

In terms of performance and experience, my one complaint in testing over the last few days was being locked into the Phone app during a call. This means you can’t reference a message in Mail or a location in Maps when you’re on a call over cellular which I imagine is a processing limitation...

Taking my daughter to the park over the weekend and being able to leave my iPhone in the car...

9to5Mac is the nicest review I've read but even then he only uses the LTE for short periods of time, mostly running, and his phone as backup isn't far away (in your car, really?!) WSJ and TheVerge are brutal. :/

SuperPac

I wonder if the bad reviews on LTE performance are because those reviewers are in big cities where LTE connectivity is already hit or miss. I imagine 9to5Mac’s writer does not live/work in Manhattan.

Blackhead

Redarse
I wonder if the bad reviews on LTE performance are because those reviewers are in big cities where LTE connectivity is already hit or miss. I imagine 9to5Mac’s writer does not live/work in Manhattan.
... are you trying to suggest that TMobile and AT&T have better LTE connectivity in the rural areas compared cities... I mean, really?

btkadams

Yeah, the reviews are very disappointing but I’m also wondering this. My cell reception while vacationing in Orlando and San Francisco was complete trash compared to my perfect cell reception in Calgary. I didn’t know “dropped calls” and “can you hear me now?” was still a thing until I went to San Francisco.

Vuze

Just installed OS 4.

Still can’t change calendar event status.

I’m flabbergasted.

Why
Yeah, no way to add written reminders either. It's weird. But oh well, they added Scribble support for German so that's dope for the written reminder Workflow I use. Still, I shouldn't have to, this is so basic.

SuperPac

Here's a tip: On the watch, go into Settings>General>Wake Screen to disable autolaunch audio apps if that's bugging you. It's also strange because it would sometime launch Now Playing or Overcast. (just playing podcasts, no music).

Honestly I love this feature. I listen to podcasts on AirPods all the time and I really hate tapping the earpiece or removing them to pause (it really feels like a douche move - especially since I usually need to pause because someone's talking to me). Previously it was a wrist raise, tap the side button, scroll to Now Playing if it wasn't already selected, then tap pause. Now it's raise wrist, tap pause. This new behavior is fantastic for me.

I was thinking of grabbing a Series 3 to upgrade from my Series 2. I use my Apple Watch as a golf watch almost every weekend and liked the idea of not needing my phone to do that (the golf app I use already updates to use the standalone features of the Series 3). These reviews are making me rethink that as not only because of the seemingly spotty LTE connectivity, but also the battery life taking a big enough hit that I might not be able to make it through 18 holes without the Watch dying.

Jeez, those reviews...

Still keeping my preorder, but I’m not afraid to return it if I run into trouble. I don’t expect to have heavy demands of this watch

Top Bottom