• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Tobor

My issue is rather unique. I have giant wrists. The large sport strap only fits me on the last pin, and it feels wobbly and not secure.

Apple makes an XL sport strap, but only in black or white. The only other strap I can use is the SS link bracelet after adding the $49 link kit.

Black sport strap is fine, but everyone at work has black on black. It's everywhere. I wanted to be different. Do I go with silver aluminum and black or SS and black or go nuts and spend $1050 on SS with SS link?

My issue is rather unique. I have giant wrists. The large sport strap only fits me on the last pin, and it feels wobbly and not secure.

Apple makes an XL sport strap, but only in black or white. The only other strap I can use is the SS link bracelet after adding the $49 link kit.

Black sport strap is fine, but everyone at work has black on black. It's everywhere. I wanted to be different. Do I go with silver aluminum and black or SS and black or go nuts and spend $1050 on SS with SS link?

You could go third party.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Can't decide on aluminum or stainless steel! Is the SS worth the extra $200?

I was SS for Series 0, and actually considered going for the cheaper aluminum this time sering it likely is a stop-gap generation. Then
I googled some pictures of the aluminum watch with different bands, and the thing is - it looks like a sports tech gadget, whereas the SS one looks like a watch. I guess it is because aluminum watches aren't very commin, and mostly fir sports. So, SS again.

You can try the nylon strap

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Tempted to pick up the space black ss with black Milanese loop.

Will the stores have all the bands for you to mix and try?

Weevilone

Have a black stainless with sport band coming. Really was interested in either the steel link bracelet for this (as an extra), or the ceramic model. Price put me off both for now.

I had this same model a year or so ago and it had too many flaws, but looks like they got addressed. Just wish I had woken to order this quickly, cause I won't be getting it for a few weeks.

Ran a 5k race today with the update installed. I use strava and pair to my iphone (hopefully no iPhone anymore in a few weeks!)

Watch was MUCH more responsive. That slight judder I have become accustomed to is mostly gone. Very promising.

Apple Watch is a great accessory. I've had model 1 for a few months. It makes checking my phone less of a priority. I feel much more involved in real life as a result, if that makes sense.

Apple Watch is a great accessory. I've had model 1 for a few months. It makes checking my phone less of a priority. I feel much more involved in real life as a result, if that makes sense.

That is what I am thinking my feeling for the watch will be. Less looking at the phone.
Although, I am just excited to have a remote for music on my wrist.

Does it work with the AppleTV to control playback on that? And does the music remote control third party apps like Amazon Music while they play on the phone?

That is what I am thinking my feeling for the watch will be. Less looking at the phone.
Although, I am just excited to have a remote for music on my wrist.

Does it work with the AppleTV to control playback on that? And does the music remote control third party apps like Amazon Music while they play on the phone?

Yes it can be used as a remote for the Apple TV, and yes it can be used for playback of third party apps playing on your phone through the Now Playing app

I'm rocking a Series 0 SS right now and LOVE it. Can't imagine going to aluminum. I love the look, I love the premium feel, I love it all.

The only change I'm making when getting the Series 2 is I'm going Space Black SS this time instead of normal

How does the black stainless steel look in person? I don't have an Apple retail store nearby, don't know anybody with an Apple Watch, and have a feeling pictures don't do the appearance of the product justice to check. Not too sure how the black stainless steel looks as a watch in contrast to the silver one. Also not really sure how different coloured bands will look with it, does the black work well with a variety of band colours?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm probably going to trade in my stainless steel OG for a gold aluminum Series 2. Where can I maximize my trade in value? Best Buy is quoting $125, which isn't bad.

robotrock

Banned
I'm probably going to trade in my stainless steel OG for a gold aluminum Series 2. Where can I maximize my trade in value? Best Buy is quoting $125, which isn't bad.

You can probably sell that for $250 or something?

I'm keeping my Stainless Steel for another year, will see what Series 3 brings.

Ambient80

So tempted to get the SS Series 2. I have an aluminum Series 0 now but something more premium feeling/looking would be nice.

Guess Who

Banned
The dual-core CPU and better sunlight visibility thanks to the brighter display are definitely attractive to me as a first-gen Watch owner, but I have a steel model, and I'd want to replace it with a steel, too. Not sure those two features justify $600 for me yet. WatchOS 3 also helps keep my first-gen feeling viable until the third-gen.

mid83

Just preordered my series 2. Pretty pumped. Hopefully it ships sooner than the listed mid to late October ship date.

Hutchie

Apple prices in the uk are a massive rip off compared to the us. £400 for series 2 sport? Ouch! Well its my birthday next month so if i get £200 in gifts i may spring for the rest

The dual-core CPU and better sunlight visibility thanks to the brighter display are definitely attractive to me as a first-gen Watch owner, but I have a steel model, and I'd want to replace it with a steel, too. Not sure those two features justify $600 for me yet. WatchOS 3 also helps keep my first-gen feeling viable until the third-gen.

Yeah, same. Bought mine for $600 at launch, can get $200ish for it now. Not sure the better CPU, better screen, and GPS are worth $400.
watchOS 3 has dramatically improved the speed of the device so I'm going to stick with Series 0 for now.

Yeah same. Have series 2 preordered (gold 42), but will update my S0 on Tuesday and if it seems like a whole new experience and added speed, may cancel the preorder.

On the other hand, that water proofing alone is worth it because every time a sprinkle of water hits the watch I expect it to be gone. Can't help it, with all the paranoia around water damage and apple mobile devices over the years.

robotrock

Banned
Yeah same. Have series 2 preordered (gold 42), but will update my S0 on Tuesday and if it seems like a whole new experience and added speed, may cancel the preorder.

On the other hand, that water proofing alone is worth it because every time a sprinkle of water hits the watch I expect it to be gone. Can't help it, with all the paranoia around water damage and apple mobile devices over the years.

I have rinsed my Watch under a gentle faucet a few times

Guess Who

Banned

People go swimming with their Series 0 watch. It's very water resistant.

What happens if your Watch dies because of water then? How do they determine whether it is a defect of the "splash proof" and not because you went swimming or diving or whatever?

What happens if your Watch dies because of water then? How do they determine whether it is a defect of the "splash proof" and not because you went swimming or diving or whatever?

For most electronics you tend to guarantee "less" than what is characterized. For example If a watch is rated for 50m it probably is capable of ~110% of this. That in the industry is called a guardband. This is why many people were able to swim with their gen1 watches w/ no issue. I very much doubt these watches will die very easily to water. New watch isn't just splashproof FYI. It was supposed to survive at 50m for 30 mins.

Anion

Lol. I wash my og 42mm with handsoap every week lol...I learned last week that it was splashproof and not waterproof for under 1ft. Not sure how I convinced myself it was waterproof, but apparently I did and didnt bother to check lmao.

I have washed my car, run many miles, washed it in the faucet, taken it in the shower so many times lol.

Miyahon

You should not worry about water with the original Apple Watch. I've gotten water on it and even run it under the faucet to clean it from sweating. I even went snorkeling with it at a lake for close to 2 hours under water and nothing happened to it. I still have AppleCare on it until next year so if something does happen to it I'm covered.

Will I most likely be able to roll into the store on Day 1 and pick up the Nike edition come late October or should I preorder to be safe? Would rather just pick it up in-store TBH

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't decide between gold and silver. My Moto 360 is silver with a bown leather band and it looks nice. I do love gold though... Gold wont look as nice with brown leather.

Top Bottom