• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

killroy87

I just got a Series 3 as an early bday gift, and have a quick question. I'm trying to add some music to it for when I run, and it's about a 75 song playlist, and it's going sooooooo slow. Does it generally take a ludicrous amount of time to add music to the watch?

I just got a Series 3 as an early bday gift, and have a quick question. I'm trying to add some music to it for when I run, and it's about a 75 song playlist, and it's going sooooooo slow. Does it generally take a ludicrous amount of time to add music to the watch?

Yes, let it go overnight

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it sucks. Its always been that way too.

killroy87

Notifications on this thing are weird. It notifies me when I get an iMessage, but now my phone doesn't vibrate and wake up, only the watch does. If I wake up my phone myself the notification is there, but is there a way I can have both of them vibrate and wake up?

hirokazu

Notifications on this thing are weird. It notifies me when I get an iMessage, but now my phone doesn't vibrate and wake up, only the watch does. If I wake up my phone myself the notification is there, but is there a way I can have both of them vibrate and wake up?
This is by design and it makes a lot of sense to me. I don't know how to do it the way you want, if it's even possible.

That is the correct behavior. It sends the notifications to wherever your attention is, so if the phone is locked they go to the watch, if the phone is unlocked they go to the phone. Notifications sent to the watch are present in the notification center on both devices, ones sent to the phone are only in the notification center on there.

For better or worse, there is no way to change this

killroy87

This is by design and it makes a lot of sense to me. I don't know how to do it the way you want, if it's even possible.

That is the correct behavior. It sends the notifications to wherever your attention is, so if the phone is locked they go to the watch, if the phone is unlocked they go to the phone. Notifications sent to the watch are present in the notification center on both devices, ones sent to the phone are only in the notification center on there.

For better or worse, there is no way to change this

Hmm okay. I just don’t always feel the tiny little vibration from the watch, so I would have liked to have it on both. I’m sure I’ll manage.

pbsapeer

Banned
Anyone know how to randomise music on the auto playlist when starting a workout. Running 4 times a week and hearing the same songs is starting to send me loopy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my series 3 doesn't seem to alert me to activity notifications anymore. I turned off the Daily Coaching, because I don't want to be spammed with stuff. But Goal Completions is still on.

I get the notifications on my wrist (red dot) but no vibration. Other notifications like messages etc vibrate just fine.

Vuze

Man, this is pretty dope. Just found out I can subscribe to my university plan in calendar for this new semester (pretty sure they previously only offered downloading the static ics which is pretty useless). Now Siri watch face displays my lessons with room and accounts for the latest changes thanks to push/the subscription model. Obviously dramatic weather changes, reminders etc are also presented in chronologic order. Very useful and neat.

hirokazu

Hmm okay. I just don’t always feel the tiny little vibration from the watch, so I would have liked to have it on both. I’m sure I’ll manage.
I don’t always notice all of them since I turned off Prominent Haptics, but I find it much better this way as it makes notifications much more personal. When you have to silence your phone and watch, you’re still made aware of notifications without disturbing anyone and you can choose whether to glance at it or ignore it for later.

I basically have my phone permanently on silent and no vibration now and rely on my watch to receive notifications. The ringtone on the watch is also much softer and less likely to alert the whole room.

Man, this is pretty dope. Just found out I can subscribe to my university plan in calendar for this new semester (pretty sure they previously only offered downloading the static ics which is pretty useless). Now Siri watch face displays my lessons with room and accounts for the latest changes thanks to push/the subscription model. Obviously dramatic weather changes, reminders etc are also presented in chronologic order. Very useful and neat.
Wow, wish I had that when I was in uni. First weeks in a semester was always a pain trying to remember what classes I had when and where.

cjp

I don’t always notice all of them since I turned off Prominent Haptics, but I find it much better this way as it makes notifications much more personal. When you have to silence your phone and watch, you’re still made aware of notifications without disturbing anyone and you can choose whether to glance at it or ignore it for later.

I basically have my phone permanently on silent and no vibration now and rely on my watch to receive notifications. The ringtone on the watch is also much softer and less likely to alert the whole room.

Yeah, since I got my Apple Watch back in 2015 I don’t think I’ve really ever un-silenced my iPhone. The only time it vibrates now is when I get a call or when I’m actively using it when a notification comes through.

I like it this way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is anyone deliberately not charging their watch every night? I think this is the first time I got a low battery warning on the third night but I’m wondering if it makes any practical difference to battery life to charge every night or every couple

Moreche

Is anyone deliberately not charging their watch every night? I think this is the first time I got a low battery warning on the third night but I’m wondering if it makes any practical difference to battery life to charge every night or every couple
I put mine on charge every night and my series2 will be about 75%. The only issue I have is that sometimes it will be really warm when I take it off charge in the morning.
I’ve never understood the whole charge cycles and drain the battery every so often.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Siri has started to be a little more responsive but I’m pretty confused as to how it works with music.

Os4 is pretty hard to get used to. There actually is a lot I miss about the old watch. The music changes are the biggest definitely.

Make sure you turn the haptics all the way up and also turn on “prominent haptics”
Speaking of which.. how are the haptics on the s3? That was by biggest disappointment with the steel s0, you just can’t feel it a lot of the time. I hope it would tear your wrist off by now.

Doesn’t matter, you could charge it every hour it wouldn’t have an effect on overall battery life:
https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Speaking of which.. how are the haptics on the s3? That was by biggest disappointment with the steel s0, you just can’t feel it a lot of the time. I hope it would tear your wrist off by now.

It’s still the same engine so exactly the same as all other watches :(

SuperPac

No. Doing it every night is better to form the habit and then not worry about forgetting to charge it on an every second or third night.

Did anyone make the jump from Series 2 to Series 3? My local Apple Store has some of the Nike Series 3 with LTE in stock of pick up today. I currently have a Series 2 Nike and I’m trying to decide if I should upgrade or not.

I sadly can't make the jump to Series 3, as my watch was given to me by my boss, so it's technically company property. When I finally leave, I may be allowed to keep it, but that's a bit of an IF.

Blackhead

Redarse
I sadly can't make the jump to Series 3, as my watch was given to me by my boss, so it's technically company property. When I finally leave, I may be allowed to keep it, but that's a bit of an IF.
... so give the Series 2 back to your boss and buy the Series 3 with your own money
/s

Did anyone make the jump from Series 2 to Series 3? My local Apple Store has some of the Nike Series 3 with LTE in stock of pick up today. I currently have a Series 2 Nike and I’m trying to decide if I should upgrade or not.

I'm hearing that the Series 3 is basically the Apple Watch finally feeling truly 'good enough' in terms of speed such that you never feel like you're waiting for it to catch up. I'm holding off for Series 4 because my Series 0 still keeps me pretty happy, but it does sound like Series 3 is when the Apple Watch has sort of solved all of the 'pain points' of the product outside of further battery life optimizations.

Is the Siri watch face killing battery life for anyone else? I have it on a Series 1 and my battery was draining twice as fast as when I use other faces. I switched back to modular today and I'm back to normal battery life, so I think it is just that watch face. Wonder if anyone else sees similar results.

Vuze

Is the Siri watch face killing battery life for anyone else? I have it on a Series 1 and my battery was draining twice as fast as when I use other faces. I switched back to modular today and I'm back to normal battery life, so I think it is just that watch face. Wonder if anyone else sees similar results.
Not at all. Very minor difference in battery consumption since I upgraded to OS 4. Rocking the Siri watch face as main and haven't really excluded anything.

Yup, kills my series 0. Shame because it's by far the best one.

killroy87

How do people find this Activity app?

I've been poking around with it, and I find the tracking to be...suspect. I put in all my stats (height/weight/gender/etc), and the readings it's giving me seem crazy. It said I burned 1200 calories yesterday, which seems ludicrous considering I didn't work out (I went on a 7.5 mile walk, but that's still like 500 cals burned at best).

I know no tech like this will be super accurate, especially considering calories, but this seems to be incredibly generous and off base. Any ideas on how I can make it a bit more accurate?

Vuze

I've been poking around with it, and I find the tracking to be...suspect. I put in all my stats (height/weight/gender/etc), and the readings it's giving me seem crazy. It said I burned 1200 calories yesterday, which seems ludicrous considering I didn't work out (I went on a 7.5 mile walk, but that's still like 500 cals burned at best).

I know no tech like this will be super accurate, especially considering calories, but this seems to be incredibly generous and off base. Any ideas on how I can make it a bit more accurate?
1200 active calories or total? While I don’t know how accurate the measurements are, the consumed/total cal trend is pretty in line with my scale readings.
The watch also told me it will calibrate over time when I did my first workout so depending on how long you’ve been using yours, it might adapt a bit.

killroy87

1200 active calories or total? While I don’t know how accurate the measurements are, the consumed/total cal trend is pretty in line with my scale readings.
The watch also told me it will calibrate over time when I did my first workout so depending on how long you’ve been using yours, it might adapt a bit.

Hmm, the red circle? Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly (or maybe I don't correctly know how to parse out the information).

Hmm, the red circle? Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly (or maybe I don't correctly know how to parse out the information).

The red circle is indeed counting active calories, not resting ones.

What I’ve done before when I was a little concerned my workout readings were off is I use one of those online calorie burn calculators to compare. They’ll never be the same because the Watch is reading your heart rate for more information, but as long as they’re in the same ballpark you should be fine, and mine always have been

A 10k run will net me about 500 calories so pretty spot on at my end I’d say. What was your walking pace? If I’m walking at 12-13 minutes per mile I tend to burn a fair few.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A 10k run will net me about 500 calories so pretty spot on at my end I’d say. What was your walking pace? If I’m walking at 12-13 minutes per mile I tend to burn a fair few.

If I’m walking briskly I do about a 10 minute kilometre and usually hit around 500 calories for 60-70 minutes of that

Aiii

So not worth it
See, that's crazy isn't it? Burning 500 caps for an hour long walk? I might be wrong, that just seems like way too many.

I do this daily, it's not. I keep my heartrate around 120bpm, give or take 5 beats either way depending on the weather and conditions, so that seems perfectly reasonable. I walk 90 minutes total and always easily reach my 650 active calories per day target.

Walking (especially briskly at 6kph or higher) is very underrated as an activity.

mf.luder

Yes, let it go overnight

This is so dumb. As intuitive as Apple is sometimes, this process of getting music to the watch is bullshit.

jts

...hate me...
For the first time I remember ever seeing it, today my Apple Watch's time is out of sync with my iPhone, about 5-6 seconds ahead. Noticed when I got my stand notification and iPhone was still at :49.

Really strange, Apple has always been so good with this kind of stuff. "Every Mickey Mouse moves at the same time" etc and as far as I've seen, even every iPhone is commonly in perfect sync. Shit happens I guess.

killroy87

How much of an effect do you guys find the Watch has on your phone's battery? I got an iPhone 8 at launch, and was blown away at the battery life (I would usually end the day at like 70%, even with zero midday charging). Now with the Watch, the phone usually ends up at the 40-50% range at the end of the day. Is that normal?

Have a space gray series 2. Has anyone else’s Overcast remote controls gone to shit since iOS 11/Watch OS 4? The 15 second jump back is completely unreliable and sometimes crashes Overcast on my phone.

Have a space gray series 2. Has anyone else’s Overcast remote controls gone to shit since iOS 11/Watch OS 4? The 15 second jump back is completely unreliable and sometimes crashes Overcast on my phone.

I didn’t have any bugs, but I had to uninstall the Overcast Watch app because it doesn’t have volume control, and raising my wrist to the watch app instead of Now Playing didn’t help me with that.

I didn’t have any bugs, but I had to uninstall the Overcast Watch app because it doesn’t have volume control, and raising my wrist to the watch app instead of Now Playing didn’t help me with that.

Hm. Do you think a reinstall of Overcast on the watch could help? Now playing works fine for me.

pbsapeer

Banned
Some frustrations that have been overlooked (although I may be blind)

When starting a work out the playlist always plays in the same order. This is annoying because you may as well have like 10 songs on there as it's unlikely I'll get much further through.

Also when running and using the torch flashlight it's annoying that there is haptic feedback to tell me I've gone a certain distance but when I raise my watch to look it just dims the screen and shows the time. Would be nice to see the workout app to tell me how far I've run rather than having to press the crown -> go to workout app -> read screen -> press crown -> swipe up -> torch -> swipe right. Difficult to do now it's colder and I'm using gloves.

Notifications haven’t been working for the last few days. No text alerts, etc. phone ring alerts still work though. It’s so odd and can’t figure out how to fix it. Rebooting doesn’t work either.

Notifications haven’t been working for the last few days. No text alerts, etc. phone ring alerts still work though. It’s so odd and can’t figure out how to fix it. Rebooting doesn’t work either.
Same. It stopped working for two days, then started working again yesterday. First time in ages I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I've not had it stop for days like that, but I'm getting a lot more notifications not being sent to the Watch.

There was an update for iOS 11 this morning saying it fixed haptics and notifications on some iPhone 7 and 7+ models. So let’s see if that did anything for the notifications today.

Finally getting my Space Black Watch tomorrow. It showed up for pickup at my local store so I cancelled my online order, getting it a few weeks before I thought I was going to!

It’s actually a blessing because my Series 2 has been incredibly slow the last week or so. I know it’s something a simple unpair and repair would fix, but why do that when I have a new, inherently faster watch incoming?

sangreal

There was an update for iOS 11 this morning saying it fixed haptics and notifications on some iPhone 7 and 7+ models. So let’s see if that did anything for the notifications today.

Thanks for posting this — didn’t get any badge or anything for this update but I checked settings and it’s there. Hope it fixes watch notifications

Top Bottom