• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple XDR monitor is not a rip off, even with Stand

Aintitcool

Banned

Listen to this pro explain the actual technical advancements for creative workflows in the modern era. He also goes on to say Apple didn't actually just display the display stand at WWDC it was a AR demo about the tech of the monitor behind the photo of the stand. I personally invested in a 4k HDR tv for my testing of HDR footage and payed 2,300 for that. But I can only dream of affording this style of monitor soon, but with apple already on the market with the tech I can see this stuff coming to consumers in 2 years maybe for 1k by other brands?

TLDW: The monitor gives you professional quality grading qualities and features for video editors about 24,000 USD cheaper than the closest equivalent in the industry.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Is there any justification for the price stand? Like is it made out of Adamantium or something?

Last edited:
And in a year or two when other brands are charging 1k for this type of monitor, Apple will still be selling it for 5k plus.
I've bought one apple product in my lifetime, a 3rd gen iPad. Still works like a dream, but I'll never pay their premium prices again when I can get equivalent tech at a fraction of the cost.

Aintitcool

Banned
Is there any justification for the price stand? Like is it made out of Adamantium it something?
The only justification is about selling more than one monitor to a client. In a mutli-monitor set up you might want choice and need only 1 of the monitors with the flexibility of this stand. Some movie studios will have 3 of these on a desk for incredible quality pipeline for video editing and ect. The stand the monitor comes with is good too. The price has to do with patents of the designer of the mechanism/motor that apple implemented. (My guess)

llien

Which professionals need 1500nit monitors?
What kind of media does one target with that kind of brightness?

Paper? Yeah, 1000 nits, sure thing.
HDR 4k TVs? Even the best mostly max at 1000nit (and one watches them from several meter distance)

So, what's the "professional" use case here?

Aintitcool

Banned
ASUS ProArt PA32UC 32"
99.5 Adobe RGB

Hdr-10 with integrated 384 local dimming zones supports up to 1000nits brightness for rich and detailed contrasts
$1999
That aint it chief. No sustained peak brightness and not professional grading monitor for cinema, it can't emulate cinema projectors and high end oled tvs.

HDR 4k TVs? Even the best mostly max at 1000nit (and one watches them from several meter distance)

Its about achieving the universal perfection of the cinema standard. But mostly 100k projectors for cinema screens.

Last edited:

llien

That aint it chief. No sustained peak brightness and not professional grading monitor for cinema, it can't emulate cinema projectors and high end oled tvs.
Its about achieving the universal perfection of the cinema standard. But mostly 100k projectors for cinema screens.

Ok, 2 points here:
1) Hi end OLED TVs cost a fraction of said $24k, why not have that instead?
2) Perhaps cinemas I go to suck, but contrast I see there is notably worse than what I get on a high end OLED TV

somerset

Ah, the mouth breathers and Apple shills.

A *skilled* artist can work with essentially *any* pretty decent kit. The *poser* wasters will always be found with the most expensive brands for no other reason than the waster cares only about the posing value of the brand.

Go to HiFi forums and you'll see the same moronic nonsense in play. The stats of the *fake* hifi garbage that certain companies make exclsuively for peeps spending daddy's money quoted as the essential reason for buying said garbage.

Apple sells the equivalent of those one thousand dollar HDMI cables to exactly the same type of customer.

A *skilled* artist can work with essentially *any* pretty decent kit. The *poser* wasters will always be found with the most expensive brands for no other reason than the waster cares only about the posing value of the brand.

Go to HiFi forums and you'll see the same moronic nonsense in play. The stats of the *fake* hifi garbage that certain companies make exclsuively for peeps spending daddy's money quoted as the essential reason for buying said garbage.

Apple sells the equivalent of those one thousand dollar HDMI cables to exactly the same type of customer.

There isn't a single user on here that manages to consistently say so little with so many words like you do.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

It's a professional display for high-end production environments, fabian.

Who's fabian?

a65f4659-6d8d-4569-85d9-cf38904fbd29-2028x2040.jpeg

longdi

Banned
ASUS ProArt PA32UC 32"
99.5 Adobe RGB

Hdr-10 with integrated 384 local dimming zones supports up to 1000nits brightness for rich and detailed contrasts
$1999

4999 + 199 is a steal for its specs, like i said.
Tim cook is the man.

This Asus has shitty local dimming. Apple has almost twice the zones and Apple dimming control should be first class.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's a reference monitor... or at least a reasonable equivalent.

He's right. This is a great deal if you need it for your business.

Mohonky

The monitor is fine, the stand is a rip off. I'm not sure how you are factoring in how the stand can not be a rip off considering I could double sided tape the monitor to a wall and it's still the same high grade monitor without the stand.

That doesn't justify a $999 stand.......

Falcs

Banned
I will PayPal someone $999 if they can convince me that that stand is worth the money.
No fucking way.

To be honest, I can see some 3rd party companies developing their own replica version of the stand and selling it 60% cheaper than the Apple stand.

The monitor is amazing for the price as OP said. Honestly surprised to see Apple do something like this, good for them and us.

I will PayPal someone $999 if they can convince me that that stand is worth the money.
No fucking way.

I think you shouldn't think the price of this stand as " worth the money " but more of " If you want to use the stand then this is the price to pay "

you could buy either the vesa stand for 199 USD or go for a third party solution equivalent

NO stand it's worth this price
but it's not mandatory .

the only thing questionable of the 2 sku strategy / price ( pro display standard and with nano texture ) it's the price for the high end with nano doesn't include ALSO the stand like 4999 base version no stand / 5999 nano texture version / 6500 nano texture with stand offering a little bit of discount ( the real rip-off it's not the stand but the different coating of the display for 1K dollars)

Hissing Sid

You’re not really paying a grand for the stand. You’re paying a grand so that peeps who give a shit about such nonsense can be duly impressed by your grand stand.

DESTROYA

Can you buy the monitor without the stand?
$999 for just a stand is literally insane.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Can you buy the monitor without the stand?

Yes, and in fact that's the point. Many pros in the media editing field already have stands and wall mounts, and just want to slap a new monitor on top of the arrangement they already have. People joke about that "omg-it's-$999" stand, but Apple is actually saving customers a bit of money by acknowledging that many won't want a stand in the first place.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, 2 points here:
1) Hi end OLED TVs cost a fraction of said $24k, why not have that instead?
2) Perhaps cinemas I go to suck, but contrast I see there is notably worse than what I get on a high end OLED TV
1. Hipsters will buy it. Or professionals that buy overpriced tech. The guy's whole argument boils down to this niche tech has inflated prices and since this new monitor has similar specs and costs less it is steal. It isn't. People are getting charged way too much for these displays that are produced by a fraction of the price.
2. You prob do.
But why sell a stand for that much in the first place? Because it’s apple?
Still insane.
No no. You see Apple is doing YOU a favor by charging you extra for something you don't need ok?

The Dolby Pulsar monitor used by studios for HDR grading and color work hits 4,000 nits

Aurelian

1. Hipsters will buy it. Or professionals that buy overpriced tech. The guy's whole argument boils down to this niche tech has inflated prices and since this new monitor has similar specs and costs less it is steal. It isn't. People are getting charged way too much for these displays that are produced by a fraction of the price.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this monitor does and who it's for.

It includes features that are explicitly intended for pros and unrealistic for everyday users. The 1,600-nit peak brightness; the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (bonkers for an LCD); the very precise local dimming; numerous reference color profiles; individual factory calibration; those are all very expensive and hard to achieve. That's not even including the 6K res or the nano-etched matte finish. If you're so sure this is wildly overpriced, provide a comparable display that costs less. No exceptions, no excuses, no weaselling out.

Hipsters won't buy it. Well-to-do YouTubers, maybe, but people like Morrison and Marques Brownlee both have the money and the need for reference-quality output. But Apple has gone out of its way to make clear this display isn't even for its wealthiest home users -- this is for the kind of person (or company) who knows what Rec.2020 is and considers it important. There's a good reason why Apple carries far more affordable LG monitors on its site, you know.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what this monitor does and who it's for.

It includes features that are explicitly intended for pros and unrealistic for everyday users. The 1,600-nit peak brightness; the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (bonkers for an LCD); the very precise local dimming; numerous reference color profiles; individual factory calibration; those are all very expensive and hard to achieve. That's not even including the 6K res or the nano-etched matte finish. If you're so sure this is wildly overpriced, provide a comparable display that costs less. No exceptions, no excuses, no weaselling out.
Niche tech is overpriced. People will pay for their pro products that aren't manufactured as much as tech aimed at a bigger market. If there is a cost of manufacture for the Sony monitors I'd love to see it, maybe the price is justified and totally not inflated. The guy in the video himself made said point when talking about the accessories of other pro products. Reminds me of those premium Sony mp3 players. Something a regular 200 dollar phone with a 90 dollar DAC would beat in sound quality but there is that premium price tag for the HIFI tag. Now I'm not saying the display is bad, hell it shits all over mine but to say there isn't a huge price inflation on this products is just silly.

entremet

Apple went ultra high end here, so price makes sense.

You’re an idiot if you get this as an hobbyist. Moreover, Apple did a lot of market research on this one. It’s tailored for the pros.

I do wish Apple had a consumer grade display to replace the Thunderbolt displays of old. The LG displays aren’t as well designed. That seems to be the Apple option for consumers right now.

Last edited:

Aurelian

Niche tech is overpriced. People will pay for their pro products that aren't manufactured as much as tech aimed at a bigger market. If there is a cost of manufacture for the Sony monitors I'd love to see it, maybe the price is justified and totally not inflated. The guy in the video himself made said point when talking about the accessories of other pro products. Reminds me of those premium Sony mp3 players. Something a regular 200 dollar phone with a 90 dollar DAC would beat in sound quality but there is that premium price tag for the HIFI tag. Now I'm not saying the display is bad, hell it shits all over mine but to say there isn't a huge price inflation on this products is just silly.

There's a difference between "high profit margin" and "overpriced." A lot of pro hardware costs what it does because the companies know they'll never sell enough to make a decent amount of profit through sheer volume. I'd say that's a fair price if it means the company will have enough money to develop future models and keep a given product line going. Let's say the Pro Display XDR cost $3,999 with the profit margins you want... would you buy it? No, of course not, so why kill profits in the name of courting a handful of additional buyers?

There are times when products really are absurdly priced, but I'm not convinced the Pro Display XDR is one of them. And I think we need to get out of the mindset that companies must price every product with the tiniest margin possible. Take a look at the smartphone market as an example. You hear people moaning that iPhones are overpriced, but then wonder why their favourite Android vendor is bleeding cash or scaling back. While this doesn't justify absolutely every price margin, it's telling that companies like Apple soldier forward while LG, HTC, Sony and others have jumped from crisis to crisis.

Aurelian

I do wish Apple had a consumer grade display to replace the Thunderbolt displays of old. The LG displays aren’t as well designed.

I can't help but think that "Pro Display XDR" is a purposeful choice that creates room for more affordable screens, like non-Pro or 'plain' HDR models. I'm not expecting a $500 4K panel, but something you could realistically expect to buy for personal use.

entremet

I can't help but think that "Pro Display XDR" is a purposeful choice that creates room for more affordable screens, like non-Pro or 'plain' HDR models. I'm not expecting a $500 4K panel, but something you could realistically expect to buy for personal use.
Hopefully, but LG recently came out with another new Apple friendly display so I can’t see Apple undercut them.

I just hate the industrial design of the LG displays. They do offer all the MacOS integration found in the previous Thunderbolt displays at least.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
The stand is ridiculous. There's no way it can be sounds that it doesn't just drip of greedy Apple.
When you get a $5000 dollar monitor let me know what type of stand you put it on.

The video mentioned Red Camera's and their accessories. I don't see anyone here bitching about those. Are their perhaps more economical solutions for accessories? Sure. Would you trust putting a 3rd party accessory on your already very premium tech item? Probably not.

I don't own a Ferrari but I know I'd but the best tires and gas in it I could.

Ryllix_

When you get a $5000 dollar monitor let me know what type of stand you put it on.

The video mentioned Red Camera's and their accessories. I don't see anyone here bitching about those. Are their perhaps more economical solutions for accessories? Sure. Would you trust putting a 3rd party accessory on your already very premium tech item? Probably not.

I don't own a Ferrari but I know I'd but the best tires and gas in it I could.
You are exactly the type of customer Apple is hoping to exploit. No stand is worth $1000.

Top Bottom