• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AppleInsider: Sony plans bigger push to bring PlayStation franchises to iPhone

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Most people don't give a fuck about the feature.

Any serious console gamer wouldn't use the feature for obvious reasons. I've only ever used it twice and that was to do inventory management in a GAAS game while at work. I wouldn't dream to use it to do any sort of serious gaming remotely.

Otherwise remote playing is pure utter shit.

Remote Play is great. It works amazingly well for years, and even play Zombie Army 4 at work sometimes or some other games. But i use it on my laptop at work or pc at home when my girlfriend is watching tv.

BootsLoader

Banned
To be honest, after FANTASIAN there is hope for mobile gaming. Got an iPhone, got an iPad and will soon buy a Mac so why not?
At least I hope it’s not some generic micro transactions oriented games.

Rikkori

Woke trash for woke trash. Match made in heaven. Only surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

ba294b5c867b4deaea5ad56ce80a9f2e.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There’s your new Vita, mates. At least it won’t have memory card problems, haha.

Would be very interesting if their PS1, PS2, PSP and PSV catalog ended up as iOS apps.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Most people don't give a fuck about the feature.

Any serious console gamer wouldn't use the feature for obvious reasons. I've only ever used it twice and that was to do inventory management in a GAAS game while at work. I wouldn't dream to use it to do any sort of serious gaming remotely.

Otherwise remote playing is pure utter shit.
Serious console gamer :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’ve used remote play to get the platinum trophies in Spider-Man and Spyro Reignited. Guess I’m not a serious pro console gamer :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What’s so serious about using remote play to grab some collectibles/finish up a plat on Sony’s casual first party single player games? It’s not like you’re going to be using it on Halo online or Bloodborne or some shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Then again my broadband is rock solid and I get absolutely minimal latency.

ZywyPL

Banned
i42TkmB.jpg

People laughed at/bashed Blizzard, but they were simply way ahead of everyone else ;)

Suddenly, mobile games don't suck anymore....

There's a lot of junk out there, there's no deny, but there are a lot of great titles as well, the problem is that all those games that bring hundreds of millions/billions of revenue each year and make the mobile market look so lucrative are the F2P ones, a.k.a. the junk ones, whereas the games that are actually good, not filled with ads every 5min. and MTX/P2W mechanisms, are often priced too high, and often without a way to try them out before purchase, hence their sales and revenue aren't as high as what you'd expect looking at the mobile market's overall situation. So this brings the question, which way will Sony go? I don't see them going the ad-filled route honestly, so it's most likely the latter model, but given Sony's recent moves I wouldn't be surprised if they'd ask 30-40€ if not more for mobile games, especially from Apple's crowd.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That’s a dumb move considering Apple is a major direct competitor for any future gaming service.

GrayFoxPL

It's smart move.

We're joking around about phone gaming, but it's where money lies.

We might be thinking "Bloodborne 2 sells millions!" and it may be, but whats that when 3 phone games produced for fraction of budget will sell 6 times more and earn some stupendous sum of money?

The phone games will be produced. Presumably simplified in all areas, graphics, sound, scope. We may laugh it off. "Look at this turd!" ect.

But we may also accept it. May be even endorse it. Maybe port it for our platform. Let's be honest here, those games won't ever be the budget of ps5 game. They don't steal anything.

They might be the budget of big games, or initiative to make AA games for PS5.

I don't have a phone, but I'm holding my thumbs up for this. Because without this, it may be
the very end.

nicky ricky dicky dawn thumbs up GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:

Duchess

You know, ever since Sony branded themselves as "PlayStation Studios" I figured this was them expanding into mobile, PC, streaming, etc. By the end of this generation, the landscape is going to look very, very different.

iHaunter

More like expanding the PS brand enormously. Jim Ryan is a fucking genius. With only $3.3B profit out of a massive $25.5B revenue, this makes pure sense and will bring so much headroom to both console gaming and mobile gaming expand in parallel so they can support more risky projects on PS5.

Anyone thinking of PS5 games or even PS4 at the moment to be mobile games could as well use a shoe as a brain with all the trolls in this thread. If any coming to PS4/5 it'll be simple F2P games like fortnite and so.
Profit makes shitty games. EA has ENORMOUS profit, what do they have to show for it? Microtransactions.

Alright

Banned
Sony signed a deal with MS to use Azure servers over AWS. Apple is powered by AWS, so who's servers are these games running off of?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah that Fate / Grand Order is meant to be massive. I'd never even heard of it until a few months ago lol.

We might laugh at it, but it could literally put all the pressure on Nintendo. It made more than $4B, so it's safe to say it made much more net profit in its lifetime than PlayStation brand with all its services that made only $3.3B out of freaking $25.5B in 1 year!

Published by Aniplex, Sony Music:

Aniplex Inc. (株式会社アニプレックス, Kabushiki-gaisha Anipurekkusu) is a Japanese anime and music production company owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan. Established in September 1995, Aniplex has been involved in the planning, production and distribution of several anime series, such as Fullmetal Alchemist, Sword Art Online, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Fate, the Monogatari series, Angel Beats!, The Promised Neverland, Rurouni Kenshin, and more. Additionally, Aniplex produces and distributes music and soundtrack records, including the original soundtracks for all of Sony Interactive Entertainment's computer and video games.

Seems like Sony Music has outsmarted all of the Big 3 of gaming, no wonder PlayStation is establishing their mobile division.

Wanna laugh?

No doubt by now, he's spent over $100,000 dollars on the game, which has generated well over $4B in revenue world-wide for Sony's Aniplex.

Yup, production of the game is just fucking $100,000 vs at least $50,000,000 for AAA games on consoles/PC!

Last edited:

Withnail

There's probably some sort of Android support coming soon as well, Sony released official DualSense drivers for the Linux kernel recently.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Makes sense, Apple seems interested in welcoming anyone to appstore, they had Nintendo.

I think you'll download PS app that works like PS store for these games, and Apple gets a 30% cut from each transaction. After Epic Games fiasco Apple needs to fill the void.

UE4 games might need to be transformed to another engine?

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I think you'll download PS app that works like PS store for these games, and Apple gets a 30% cut from each transaction. After Epic Games fiasco Apple needs to fill the void.

UE4 games might need to be transformed to another engine?
Yes I think so too, it’s an opportunity for both companies. Sony is betting on Apple and Epic at the same time. Unlike google, MS etc Sony did not choose sides of that Apple vs Epic battle.

we do not know all the details when you have Nintendo on the Apple event it’s free publicity. Same can happen with PlayStation

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes I think so too, it’s an opportunity for both companies. Sony is betting on Apple and Epic at the same time. Unlike google, MS etc Sony did not choose sides of that Apple vs Epic battle.

we do not know all the details when you have Nintendo on the Apple event it’s free publicity. Same can happen with PlayStation

I think they'll have their own store launcher there with PSN account. If Sony succeeds well in the mobile side you can even go as far as expecting Sony to drop online paywall on PS consoles. If they can port enough PSP/PS Vita games there then that'll be crazy! I can see the games being sold at $1-10 max with many F2P games though, MTX is no brainer but should be added smartly like Fortnite and the rest. People when they love the game would happily spend on cosmetics to stand out for MP.

What if that rumour of the last of us remaster is all about a iPad version? I mean with rumors anything is possible

TLOU1 on every iPhone after watching the series? Can't go wrong. They can push the graphics to a more cartoonish/flat looking though to preserve performance and still look good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom