Apple's CEO Tim Cook: No Place for Hate Speech on Apple Product Platforms

Jul 14, 2010
Uncertain if this has been posted before, but recently Apple's CEO, Tim Cook, received an award from the Anti-Defamation League and made a speech against hate groups. A summary of what he said is below:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/app...te-has-no-place-on-tech-platforms-at-adl.html

Apple CEO Tim Cook delivered a message to white supremacists in a speech in front of the Anti-Defamation League: "You have no place on our platforms."
Cook delivered the speech while accepting the Courage Against Hate award Monday. As Apple CEO, Cook has taken action to combat hate speech on the company's platforms. The company was the first of a wave of tech companies to remove content by Infowars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who has spewed inaccurate theories such as that the Sandy Hook school shooting massacre was a hoax.
"At Apple, we believe that technology needs to have a clear point of view on this challenge," Cook said, referring to how to handle the influx of hate on tech platforms. "There is no time to get tied up in knots. That's why we only have one message for those who seek to push hate, division and violence: You have no place on our platforms."
"If we can't be clear on moral questions like these, then we've got big problems," Cook said in his ADL speech. "At Apple, we are not afraid to say that our values drive our curation decisions. And why should we be? Doing what's right, creating experiences free from violence and hate, experiences that value creativity and new ideas is what our customers want us to do."
It seems the online social media space will gradually become more de-politicized compared to before in the coming years.

Oct 25, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
Good

Fuck trash like Alex Jones, he can go make his own platform if he wants to

There is plenty of conservative / right wing content still on apple platforms, they are just taking out alt-right trash and loon conspiracy theorists

Do you really think someone who believes sandy hook was a staged government conspiracy deserves a platform to shill?

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
"Hate Speech" does not exist.

It's the government deciding for you how offended you should be.

All these years, I never cared what Alex Jones had to say. Doesn't mean I want him banned. Ironically, when all the media did starting censoring him, it kinda put his conspiracy theory to the test.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I find this campaign against “hate” very bizarre, of all things to campaign against. you must really feel so virtuous, so god-like to take such position.

How do you define hate? It’s so subjective and varies from person to person. “Fighting hate” is a moral campaign/war, which is very dangerous and religious-like. I find the campaign to be sinister and used as a way to control and silence people. We don’t need a moral dictator or police. You are not God.

May 22, 2018
"Hate Speech" does not exist.

It's the government deciding for you how offended you should be.
Hate Speech by definition does in fact exist.

Merriam-Webster said:
hate speech
noun

: speech expressing hatred of a particular group of people
Wikipedia said:
Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.[1][2] The law of some countries describes hate speech as speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display that incites violence or prejudicial action against a protected group or individual on the basis of their membership of the group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership of the group.
And given the current social climate of the world today it very much exists all over the world. It not some bullshit obscure thing that "SJWs" made up last year. Its something that has been around for centuries and infests the world to this day and is acknowledged as existing by countries all over the world.

You trying to pretend it doesn't exist is ridiculous even for you.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario

And given the current social climate of the world today it very much exists all over the world. It not some bullshit obscure thing that "SJWs" made up last year. Its something that has been around for centuries and infests the world to this day and is acknowledged as existing by countries all over the world.

So is religion hate speech? I can pick up a bible or a quran and it's full of pages telling god to exterminate people.

Hate speech laws are always written with bias. Who it applies to is hand picked.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018
Remember when the reactionary narrative was "d-deplatforming is only g-gonna make them bigger!"

Sure seems to have worked out that way for Alex Jones lmao
No but i still remember when democrats stood for free speech and didnt behave like bigots and even promoted racism among their own ranks, damn how times change now conservatives fight for free speech and against racism while democrats behave like the scum they pretended to fight. The whole "the new fascists will pretend they are anti fascist" thing ended up being very true on the left, i am sure you are proud of that achievement lol

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
So is religion hate speech? I can pick up a bible or a quran and it's full of pages telling god to exterminate people.
If you go out and preach that extermination of certain peoples is okay then yes absolutely that is hate speech. I don't really care where you got the idea from.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
If you go out and preach that extermination of certain peoples is okay then yes absolutely that is hate speech. I don't really care where you got the idea from.
So when people preach the end of days/Armageddon, they should be jailed?

Or how about teaching Noah's Ark?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
So when people preach the end of days/Armageddon, they should be jailed?

Or how about teaching Noah's Ark?
Are you drunk?

Talking about the "End of Days" or "Armageddon" is saying that someday somehow the world is gonna end and everyone is gonna die. That is not preaching extermination. That is called being a crazy person. You are not telling people to harass, attack or kill other people. You are not demeaning another human being based on stupid shit like sex, religion, gender, etc etc

Standing on a street corner, sitting at your computer, holding a rally in a barn somewhere, etc etc etc talking about how the *insert race or religion here* should all be killed because *insert insane reason here* is preaching extermination. Or maybe just talking about how those people are inferior to *insert race or religion here*. THAT is hate speech. You are actively trying to convince people that a specific group of people deserve to be attacked, harassed, treated differently, or die.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
I find this campaign against “hate” very bizarre, of all things to campaign against. you must really feel so virtuous, so god-like to take such position.

How do you define hate? It’s so subjective and varies from person to person. “Fighting hate” is a moral campaign/war, which is very dangerous and religious-like. I find the campaign to be sinister and used as a way to control and silence people. We don’t need a moral dictator or police. You are not God.
Well yes different people find different things “hateful” but there are universal ones you really can’t defend and say “well why do YOU get to decide what’s hate...”

Telling a bunch of parents that your dead kid was just a “crisis actor” to stage a government removal of personal firearms seems pretty hateful

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Are you drunk?

Talking about the "End of Days" or "Armageddon" is saying that someday somehow the world is gonna end and everyone is gonna die. That is not preaching extermination. That is called being a crazy person. You are not telling people to harass, attack or kill other people.

Standing on a street corner, sitting at your computer, holding a rally in a barn somewhere, etc etc etc talking about how the *insert race or religion here* should all be killed because *insert insane reason here* is preaching extermination. THAT is hate speech. You are actively trying to convince people that a specific group of people deserve to be attacked, harassed, or die.
Armageddon is the belief all non-believers will perish in a global genocide at the hands of god and his angels.
People also use the term "Jesus saves" or "repent" as an allusion to such impending doom.

Preaching Armageddon is exactly preaching about the extermination of a group of people. Do you really believe Christians are preaching about their own death at Armageddon?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Armageddon is the belief all non-believers will perish in a global genocide at the hands of god and his angels.
People also use the term "Jesus saves" or "repent" as an allusion to such impending doom.
Yeah. And thats still not hate speech. You are not telling others to attack, denounce or kill other people. You are just saying that someday the world will end.

And I know that despite your history of bizarre claims and outlandish arguments that you are smart enough to know the difference between spreading hate speech and religious prophecy. So I am not really sure why you are trying to make this argument when I know you are smart enough to know better. Unless you are just trolling which to be fair would not be out of character for you.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Well yes different people find different things “hateful” but there are universal ones you really can’t defend and say “well why do YOU get to decide what’s hate...”

Telling a bunch of parents that your dead kid was just a “crisis actor” to stage a government removal of personal firearms seems pretty hateful
Everything is hateful. Even just calling someone stupid is hateful. We all say “hateful” things everyday, everyone can be charged and persecuted for “hateful” things and that’s the scary thing. It’s SUBJECTIVE and eventually everyone will be in the crosshairs.
Also there are no “universal ones”. Whose standard are you using?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Yeah. And thats still not hate speech.

And I know that despite your history of bizarre claims and outlandish arguments that you are smart enough to know the difference between preeching hate and religious prophecy. So I am not really sure why you are trying to make this argument when I know you are smart enough to know better. Unless you are just trolling which to be fair would not be out of character for you.
You said hate speech is extermination.
I said religions preach extermination of all non-believers.

Hiding behind "prophecy" is not an argument. What do you think the prophecy calls for?
If I look up in the bible right now, you're going to tell me armageddon makes no specific mention of who is going to be killed?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Everything is hateful. Even just calling someone stupid is hateful. We all say “hateful” things everyday, everyone can be charged and persecuted for “hateful” things and that’s the scary thing. It’s SUBJECTIVE and eventually everyone will be in the crosshairs.
No calling someone stupid is childish. Calling a black person the N-word is hateful. Calling a LGBTQ persona a F***** is hateful.

Its not hard. Yet people always wanna try and pretend that its some great slippery slope.

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario

It makes the person a dick but that's it. It's only words.
Last I checked, life still goes on after someone is called a crisis actor.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
You said hate speech is extermination.
I said religions preach extermination of all non-believers.

Hiding behind "prophecy" is not an argument. What do you think the prophecy calls for?
I literally just explained the difference between prophecies about the end of the world and spreading hate speech multiple times and you are responding like I never spoke. So you are either intentionally ignoring my posts or you are just trolling yet again. Which seems to be a theme when it comes to you and your arguments. And honestly given the absurdness of your argument in this case (considering you are comparing end of days prophecies to the everyday spreading of hate speech) I am gonna assume its just simple trolling, but at least you were up front about it this time. Which for me is actually rather convenient given our past disputes where I wasted alot of time for no reason.

If you could do that more often it would be great. Saves me quite a bit of time.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I literally just explained the difference between prophecies about the end of the world and spreading hate speech multiple times and you are responding like I never spoke. So you are either intentionally ignoring my posts or you are just trolling yet again. Which seems to be a theme when it comes to you and your arguments. And honestly given the absurdness of your argument in this case (considering you are comparing end of days prophecies to the everyday spreading of hate speech) I am gonna assume its just simple trolling, but at least you were up front about it this time. Which for me is actually rather convenient given our past disputes where I wasted alot of time for no reason.

If you could do that more often it would be great. Saves me quite a bit of time.
So I looked at your post and it said this
" You are not telling others to attack, denounce or kill other people. You are just saying that someday the world will end. "

So if someone said "all women will die at the hands of men some day" that would not be hate speech to you? Both religion and this statement makes direct reference to impeding doom directed at a group.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Who and what gets to define what "hate speech" is? Surely it's not the ones who toss the words racist, Nazi, etc, around like candy.
That’s my concern with this stuff. I wouldn’t care if true hate speech is removed, but who gets to decide what that is and will they abuse that is a good question. Tech companies have become too big and their platforms are too important so I am interested to see how this plays out going forward.

Oct 30, 2017
No calling someone stupid is childish. Calling a black person the N-word is hateful. Calling a LGBTQ persona a F***** is hateful.

Its not hard. Yet people always wanna try and pretend that its some great slippery slope.
You see, this is the issue. Lots of people find it hateful when you call them stupid. Who are you to tell them otherwise and what to feel. I personally hate it when even a black person calls me n****.

You keep asserting your opinion on what is hateful as objective/fact. Who are you to set the moral guideline? But you’re so self righteous that you can’t fathom how people have different feelings towards what they find hateful.

Oct 30, 2017
Who and what gets to define what 'normal' is?
They’re so self righteous. They believe what they PERSONALLY find hateful should be the standard. Very totalitarian. How is that any different of a religious dictator. Someone who calibrates the moral compass for society.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Just cause it’s on Wikipedia doesn’t mean it’s real. Have you learned nothing in high school?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

May 22, 2018
That’s my concern with this stuff. I wouldn’t care if true hate speech is removed, but who gets to decide what that is and will they abuse that is a good question. Tech companies have become too big and their platforms are too important so I am interested to see how this plays out going forward.
I agree 100% that it is a good question to ask, but I have confidence that the line will be drawn at TRUE hate speech. Transphobic slurs, homphobic slurs, racial slurs etc etc. Things at any normal perosn would look at and say "Yeah okay thats too far". In fact it wouldn't be much different for a forum environment like this. You would be free to say whatever to whoever as long as you don't cross the huge and very obvious red line on the ground. We are not gonna end up in a world where calling someone stupid or an asshole is gonna get you banned for life from a platform. Yeah people may think you are an ass, but you aren't gonna get killed for it like some people want to pretend.

What these companies are talking about is a crack down on actual hate speech. Calls of racial or religious violence, slurs, violent rhetoric in general etc etc. Not the imaginary "SJW" hate speech that some of you have in your head where someone calls someone else a poophead and the FBI show up. Some of you are being ridiculously over-dramatic when you try and talk about slippery slopes and whatnot. Like there is gonna be some kind of internet gestapo as a result and its just not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018

The rakes are news articles about corporations virtue signaling.
All it took for the corporate world is not to change how they actually do business but to virtue signal to children like apple now does among many others, this is all it took to get the "revolutionary's pro working class" to be foot soldiers of the bourgeois, its really pathetic if you think about it. In fact you still have some that think they are fighting for the "working class" when voting for the democrat party or while they are liking the asshole clean of corporations because they name dropped BLM once.
You have sjw crybullies working in apple stores thinking they are part of the fight against "muh big corporations" and not a actual cog in it.
Truly the most "progressive" children the world has ever seen lol

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I agree 100% that it is a good question to ask, but I have confidence that the line will be drawn at TRUE hate speech. Transphobic slurs, homphobic slurs, racial slurs etc etc. Things at any normal perosn would look at and say "Yeah okay thats too far". In fact it wouldn't be much different for a forum environment like this. You would be free to say whatever to whoever as long as you don't cross the huge and very obvious red line on the ground. We are not gonna end up in a world where calling someone stupid or an asshole is gonna get you banned for life from a platform. Yeah people may think you are an ass, but you aren't gonna get killed for it like some people want to pretend.

What these companies are talking about is a crack down on actual hate speech. Calls of racial or religious violence, slurs, violent rhetoric in general etc etc. Not the imaginary "SJW" hate speech that some of you have in your head where someone calls someone else a poophead and the FBI show up. Some of you are being ridiculously over-dramatic when you try and talk about slippery slopes and whatnot. Like there is gonna be some kind of internet gestapo as a result and its just not gonna happen.
Terms that need defining:

“The line”
TRUE hate speech”
“Transphobic slurs”
“Homophobic slurs”
“Racist slurs”
“etc. etc.”
“Normal person”
“Very obvious red line on the ground”
actual hate speech”

Here’s another term for you since you like linking to Wikipedia so much: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

For someone who evidently has minimal real world experience, you sure are full of yourself.

Oct 24, 2017
Good

Fuck trash like Alex Jones, he can go make his own platform if he wants to

There is plenty of conservative / right wing content still on apple platforms, they are just taking out alt-right trash and loon conspiracy theorists

Do you really think someone who believes sandy hook was a staged government conspiracy deserves a platform to shill?
There are also people who believe that the US has higher rape statistics than Countries like Nigeria in which Rape is also used as a weapon.
There are people who believe that the OK sign is a supremacist sign and Trump signaling all his Nazi friends.

How about people like Linda Sarasour who is a huge believer that Jews are all Zionists. Or a Kate Morgan who advises all white women who are pregnant with boys to have an abortion.

Do they deserve a Platform?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018
All it took for the corporate world is not to change how they actually do business but to virtue signal to children like apple now does among many others, this is all it took to get the "revolutionary's pro working class" to be foot soldiers of the bourgeois, its really pathetic if you think about it. In fact you still have some that think they are fighting for the "working class" when voting for the democrat party or while they are liking the asshole clean of corporations because they name dropped BLM once.
You have sjw crybullies working in apple stores thinking they are part of the fight against "muh big corporations" and not a actual cog in it.
Truly the most "progressive" children the world has ever seen lol
It's definitely no more pathetic than "principled conservatives" who lecture people about why healthcare isn't a human right turning around and demanding the government intervene in the private market because they can't post their fucking groyper memes on twitter.

Oct 24, 2017
Remember when the reactionary narrative was "d-deplatforming is only g-gonna make them bigger!"

Sure seems to have worked out that way for Alex Jones lmao
By doing so you will other people who are on the moderate side. You know who used these kind of tactics? Fascist Germany as an example. And you will not solve a Problem you are just hiding it until it bursts. Why do you think that so many people do not believe in Feminism anymore but still want equality?

This kind of method also hepled Trump to get elected as well. You can surely deplatform single people but there will always someone other to take this persons place. You cut one off 4 other will raise.

Here is how to beat them. Debate them make them look stupid in discussions with actual facts....

Right now it seems that with the left side be it media or Politicians feelings count more than facts.

Oct 24, 2017
It's definitely no more pathetic than "principled conservatives" who lecture people about why healthcare isn't a human right turning around and demanding the government intervene in the private market because they can't post their fucking groyper memes on twitter.
Because it is not. Healthcare is fucking expensive if you want to believe it or not. It is nice to have things but it is also often not realistic to want something.

This stuff here is total bullshit. No it does not work like that.

And I can also tell you what healthcare brings you. Much much higher taxes, a huge drop in terms of quality, if you nee a specialist for eyes, feet, dental etc, you get an appointment in sometimes 4-6 months if you are lucky. You get not quality products. You get for example cheep dental replacements as a huge example and so on. And it is not even free here it covers however 8090% of the costs. Depends what it is.

Again it is nice to have things but you need to be realistic

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018
By doing so you will other people who are on the moderate side. You know who used these kind of tactics? Fascist Germany as an example. And you will not solve a Problem you are just hiding it until it bursts. Why do you think that so many people do not believe in Feminism anymore but still want equality?

This kind of method also hepled Trump to get elected as well. You can surely deplatform single people but there will always someone other to take this persons place. You cut one off 4 other will raise.

Here is how to beat them. Debate them make them look stupid in discussions with actual facts....

Right now it seems that with the left side be it media or Politicians feelings count more than facts.
While a debate between notorious leftist Tim Cook and Alex Jones on the validity of Sandy Hook footage would certainly be entertaining, I doubt it would lead to anything productive.

Oct 9, 2013
A normal human being can fairly easily spot hate speech when presented with it so I wouldn't worry too much.
The thing is what qualifies as hate speech. Would criticism fall in as hate speech for those who get to define it? It opens up huge can worms when you start allowing just a few to define what is supposed to be hate speech.

Sorry, I don't trust these people.

Oct 24, 2017
While a debate between notorious leftist Tim Cook and Alex Jones on the validity of Sandy Hook footage would certainly be entertaining, I doubt it would lead to anything productive.
I am not even talking about Jones. I am talking about Ben Sharpio, Peterson, and how they are all called. The left does not want ANY form of discussion. Alex Jones is nuts. I would compare him with the beggar on the street talking about the apocalypse. Let him talk. By attacking him you he gets more attention. Because he was silenced by twitter etc he got a huge burst in Popularity. People googled him, they did visit his sides etc. And then maybe they realized how nuts he is and ignored him. But trying to silence gives people a victim role and especially in America Free Speech is still one of the biggest concerns there.

Not having a discussion makes the left look like they are scared.

Even in Germany Nazis are allowed to protest and they get huge police protection etc. And we are not even talking about extremists but normal more conservative thinking people.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018
I am not even talking about Jones. I am talking about Ben Sharpio, Peterson, and how they are all called. The left does not want ANY form of discussion. Alex Jones is nuts. I would compare him with the beggar on the street talking about the apocalypse. Let him talk. By attacking him you he gets more attention. Because he was silenced by twitter etc he got a huge burst in Popularity. People googled him, they did visit his sides etc. And then maybe they realized how nuts he is and ignored him. But trying to silence gives people a victim role and especially in America Free Speech is still one of the biggest concerns there.

Not having a discussion makes the left look like they are scared.

Even in Germany Nazis are allowed to protest and they get huge police protection etc. And we are not even talking about extremists but normal more conservative thinking people.
Shitterson just turned down a debate with a fairly well known Marxist because "he finds his ideas offensive"

You should do some research on these grifters before parroting their talking points.