• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's First New Low-Cost iPhone Since the iPhone SE Expected to Launch Early Next Year

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple plans to launch a new-generation "iPhone SE" in the form of a low-cost 4.7-inch iPhone this coming spring, sources in Asia have claimed.

Nikkei reports that the new model will be Apple's first low-cost smartphone since the 2016 launch of the popular iPhone SE, which started at $399, and while the name and price of the new model hasn't been decided, "it is viewed as the latest generation of the iPhone SE," according to the paper's sources.
The size of the new model will be similar to the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 that was introduced in 2017, three sources said. The model will share most of the same components with the flagship iPhones this year, and it will feature the lower-cost liquid crystal display that will help Apple achieve the lower starting price-tag, although the final pricing for the model is not yet settled, the people said.
Rumors of a new low-cost 4.7-inch iPhone modeled on the iPhone 8 first appeared in April via Economic Daily News. EDN's sources also claimed the device coming in early 2020 will include an LCD display. In addition, they also claimed it will feature a new PCB design to house Apple's A13 processor, a single-lens rear camera, and 128GB of base storage.

It's not clear if the rumored 4.7-inch iPhone would inherit the notched design and Face ID features of Apple's flagship smartphones, but Nikkei's references to 2017's iPhone 8 suggest it could retain the bordered screen and Touch ID-equipped Home button of that device to keep costs down.

Apple's iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR devices dominate its marketing, but the company continues to offer the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8Plus (starting at $599) as lower cost options alongside the even cheaper iPhone 7 series (starting at $449).

Apple could end sales of the iPhone 7 when its new flagship models launch later this month, which would leave a space in its line-up for a new device that could boost its share of the mid-tier smartphone market. But apart from being new and coming in at a lower price, we'll have to wait and see if comparisons can be legitimately drawn with the much-loved 4-inch iPhone SE of yesteryear.

SE was a solid phone, and this one should be too!

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the SE wasn't that popular because most buyers wanted the higher end models.

greyshark

Their best selling phone by far this year has been the XR - and even the 8 sold about comparably to the XS line. Now that the latest and greatest cost $1k, I could see a strong appeal for an even cheaper model.

Anki

Banned
"The size of the new model will be similar to the 4.7-inch iPhone 8"
If its same size as iphone8 then how its iphone se successor?

Anki

Banned
I know that, what I meant people want iphone SE size with full body screen, not iphone8 size (which we have now in form of iphone x).

jts

...hate me...
I know that, what I meant people want iphone SE size with full body screen, not iphone8 size (which we have now in form of iphone x).
iPhone 8 is still nicer/smaller to handle than X.

I understand the sentiment but Apple is probably deprecating the 5 style of body by now. Just like the SE back then, the "new SE" will use a recent body shell.

I don't think Apple would engineer a new screen for a "budget" phone either. If it's any consolation, a smaller than X flagship phone is supposed to come out next year.

Quasicat

I'm still rocking my SE. It's been through hell and still works flawlessly. Best phone I've ever had.

I am typing this on my SE. I love the small form factor and originally got it for the headphone jack. I’ve moved on to AirPods and CarPlay now, but still love the small screen. I’m looking forward to this new iPhone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom