• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Got the call. I start Monday.

obama-cnn-dance.gif

Congrats, got one this week and next week. Hopefully I'm out soon.

dark_chris

Gold Member
I've been applying to so many places and I'm so exhausted.
I'm unhappy where I am and it's getting to me on how badly I'm wanting to get outta here.
I don't think I'll be as happy as I was when I was at Google when I was there for years. I don't think I've ever had a job that made me excited to go to work and ready for everything. I left cause it was only a PT position so I couldn't get FT, and fought tooth and nail for it.

How do you guys keep your spirits up while continuously applying? I'm working at a hospital in HR, the pay is low and I got passed for a raise and was given to someone else who took my credit. After that fiasco, ive been making more mistakes at work, my boss has noticed my unhappiness. I've been using ZipRecruiter, LinkedIn, monster, Craigslist, etc. But Nada.
I've been trying to get into research or HR. My heart is more towards research but my only experience is academic.

Flux

I've been applying to so many places and I'm so exhausted.
I'm unhappy where I am and it's getting to me on how badly I'm wanting to get outta here.
I don't think I'll be as happy as I was when I was at Google when I was there for years. I don't think I've ever had a job that made me excited to go to work and ready for everything. I left cause it was only a PT position so I couldn't get FT, and fought tooth and nail for it.

How do you guys keep your spirits up while continuously applying? I'm working at a hospital in HR, the pay is low and I got passed for a raise and was given to someone else who took my credit. After that fiasco, ive been making more mistakes at work, my boss has noticed my unhappiness. I've been using ZipRecruiter, LinkedIn, monster, Craigslist, etc. But Nada.
I've been trying to get into research or HR. My heart is more towards research but my only experience is academic.

I've also been trying to get a more research oriented job too. I would suggest dropping Craigslist, it's kind of a waste of time for real jobs. Monster has been really lousy and I think they still sell all your information to advertising.

Depends on where your location is. Research tends to only be in major cities. The commercial or private side can be scattered so you may have to relocate. You may also have to try to prove your research skills if you've been in HR for a while.

Keep at it, at least you have a source of income. Just try to not to let it show that you want out. It's a battle I've been have ng every day.

J.EM1

So I have a second interview tomorrow. I'm nervous AF. I have a feeling they'll be asking situational questions and from a few of my past interviews, I didn't have the best answers. :|

Ticoman

Neo Member
I was in the same spot as many of you guys a few years back.

Now that I have a job, I'm still soul crushed and exhausted.

Can't fucking win.

Amazon still hasn't scheduled in-person interview but assures me it's just a matter of finding the right interview time.

Phone interview today with a 4 person hiring committee for a higher-education institution.

2 hour in-person interview today at noon with another company that does blood transfusions.

I interviewed Monday for an Instructional Designer position at Swift Transportation.

Staying positive and hoping for the best.

timewyrm

Currently doing volunteer work but been offered paid job. Down side is that he wants me to work like full time, but put me on the books at part time and pay me part time wages.

offshore

First time in here, and hadn't anticipated on being part of it, but got a major shock this morning to discover that my shift at work is being moved permanently to evenings; and at the cusp of summer, that's an absolute no-no for me.

While I don't have any definitive idea of where right now, I'd like to try a complete change of career. So I'm in the midst of sorting out my CV and my question is this: what are better words to use than "skills"? I want to be able to convey I want to learn new skills, but be able to apply my current skills to a new field of employment, and I've just noticed I've got the words skills everywhere on my CV and it looks super dumb. lol.

Have many folks ITT had successful career changes and how did you go about it?

I've had a few interviews- some went alright, some not. I'm not rushing to get a job since I'm financially alright, but I am losing my mind out of boredom. I just moved to a new city to shake things up. I left my last job on good terms with a tom of experience. I've been working for the business for 5 years and grew within it from generalist to manager. So I believe I am qualified for many positions based on my experience. The only thing is that I don't have a college degree.

It's frustrating, because some jobs that pay as little as 15/hr are asking for a college degree and experience. It's kinda really dumb. My last job paid me 38k/yr and I believe that I can do better based on my knowledge and experience. I want to prove to myself and others that you don't need a college education to be successful. Otherwise I might as well just go back to school.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I've had a few interviews- some went alright, some not. I'm not rushing to get a job since I'm financially alright, but I am losing my mind out of boredom. I just moved to a new city to shake things up. I left my last job on good terms with a tom of experience. I've been working for the business for 5 years and grew within it from generalist to manager. So I believe I am qualified for many positions based on my experience. The only thing is that I don't have a college degree.

It's frustrating, because some jobs that pay as little as 15/hr are asking for a college degree and experience. It's kinda really dumb. My last job paid me 38k/yr and I believe that I can do better based on my knowledge and experience. I want to prove to myself and others that you don't need a college education to be successful. Otherwise I might as well just go back to school.

Damn, you and I are in about the same boat. I moved to shake things up, but my money is starting to dry up. Luckily I have been getting alot of interviews and callbacks recently. One company that I would rather not work for is claiming to have an offer for me soon. I don't like the company, but I need the money so I will take it until something else comes along. I have another interview tomorrow with a company that I would love to work for and I am going to hope they are ready to make a move fast.

I have 15+ years experience on my side at some huge companies, so that gets me in the door but I do need to go back to school and get my degree. That is plain to see really. Luckily online classes exist these days and a few of them will look at and verify your work experience to give college credit for some classes. One accredited school with online classes is advertising you can get a Bachelor's in 14 months with them based on having some college and work experience. I am going to do more investigation into them.

Hey, if you have the experience and knowledge don't let that get in the way of applying to what you want. Hell, even jobs that say a degree is required, you should apply anyway. Many times experience can take the place of a degree.

dskillzhtown

First time in here, and hadn't anticipated on being part of it, but got a major shock this morning to discover that my shift at work is being moved permanently to evenings; and at the cusp of summer, that's an absolute no-no for me.

While I don't have any definitive idea of where right now, I'd like to try a complete change of career. So I'm in the midst of sorting out my CV and my question is this: what are better words to use than "skills"? I want to be able to convey I want to learn new skills, but be able to apply my current skills to a new field of employment, and I've just noticed I've got the words skills everywhere on my CV and it looks super dumb. lol.

Have many folks ITT had successful career changes and how did you go about it?

Say you have experience with xxxxx instead of skills. Not sure of your industry but if you can, take a couple of classes on Udemy or something and put that on your resume to show you have knowledge in other areas.

Damn, you and I are in about the same boat. I moved to shake things up, but my money is starting to dry up. Luckily I have been getting alot of interviews and callbacks recently. One company that I would rather not work for is claiming to have an offer for me soon. I don't like the company, but I need the money so I will take it until something else comes along. I have another interview tomorrow with a company that I would love to work for and I am going to hope they are ready to make a move fast.

I have 15+ years experience on my side at some huge companies, so that gets me in the door but I do need to go back to school and get my degree. That is plain to see really. Luckily online classes exist these days and a few of them will look at and verify your work experience to give college credit for some classes. One accredited school with online classes is advertising you can get a Bachelor's in 14 months with them based on having some college and work experience. I am going to do more investigation into them.

Hey, if you have the experience and knowledge don't let that get in the way of applying to what you want. Hell, even jobs that say a degree is required, you should apply anyway. Many times experience can take the place of a degree.

Appreciate it, man.
I'm taking my time I guess. I got a few months worth of rent, so hopefully I'll be alright.

Willxc123

So, this is my first time posting in here... I guess I just need to vent. I recently had multiple interviews with a huge company near me. To say it would be a great job and a huge opportunity for me would be an understatement. I made it to the final round, and it felt like I knocked it out of the park.

The person I was interviewing with told me that it was down to me and one other person, and that I should hear within a week or two at most. It has now been one month and it is complete radio silence.

Is it over? I just hoped a company as prestigious as this one would be courteous enough to send a rejection letter, especially for getting to the final round. Also, they seemed to move through the initial process pretty quickly, it was 5 days between me submitting my application and hearing back to set up my first interview.

dukeoflegs

Had my second inperson interview today. I think it went well, but the VP (the one that wanted to see me) wasn't able to make it to the interview. I asked my usual questions to each person, one of which "why have you stayed here and not gone somewhere else?" And I got the same response from each person, which I feel is a good sign.

Now I'm playing the waiting game until tomorrow to find out if I got the job or not.

alemmon

So, this is my first time posting in here... I guess I just need to vent. I recently had multiple interviews with a huge company near me. To say it would be a great job and a huge opportunity for me would be an understatement. I made it to the final round, and it felt like I knocked it out of the park.

The person I was interviewing with told me that it was down to me and one other person, and that I should hear within a week or two at most. It has now been one month and it is complete radio silence.

Is it over? I just hoped a company as prestigious as this one would be courteous enough to send a rejection letter, especially for getting to the final round. Also, they seemed to move through the initial process pretty quickly, it was 5 days between me submitting my application and hearing back to set up my first interview.

You gotta follow up. Call them up and see where they are at in the deciding process.

Nyanmaruz

I'm not in a good position in life right now.

I'm have been stuck in a dead-end hard labor job for the past 6 years.
It's long overdue, but I'm finally trying to get out since pay still remains near minimum wage, with no advancement opportunities and management is absolute garbage right now.

To makes things worst, I'm graduating next month with a worthless marketing diploma with no job experience in the field at all.
There are co-op opportunities offered at my school but I was being stupid by not taking the chance, and now it's too late.

I guess at this point, I should to try looking into local marketing internship opportunities on my own.
Or at the very least, I should first find something temporary that isn't as physically and mentally stressful and pays a bit better.

I've been making many stupid life choices, but I'm near a breaking point where I really need to get out for good.
It'll be nice if you guys can give me some advice on how I should fix this mess.

Willxc123

You gotta follow up. Call them up and see where they are at in the deciding process.

I emailed three times and I don't want to seem too aggressive, I just find it odd that three separate people completely ignored my emails.

It's funny, I emailed once between the first and second round and never got a response. The woman I interviewed with brought it up unprompted and apologized about it during the second interview and said she would definitely email me back if I shot her an email again.

I don't really know what else to do. I have pretty much given up the idea that I got the job, I just wish they'd let me know.

Sapiens

I emailed three times and I don't want to seem too aggressive, I just find it odd that three separate people completely ignored my emails.

It's funny, I emailed once between the first and second round and never got a response. The woman I interviewed with brought it up unprompted and apologized about it during the second interview and said she would definitely email me back if I shot her an email again.

I don't really know what else to do. I have pretty much given up the idea that I got the job, I just wish they'd let me know.

No point in emailing again (or even more than once after an interview) as they know you are interested.

Unfortunately, even large, prestigious institutions and companies can be disorganized or promise things that won't happen. It's not good, but I've been there so many times, and sometimes no response is preferable to some of the "reasons" for not getting the job I've been given. Usually, it comes down to something simple, like they didn't like the salary expectation you wanted and just wanted someone cheaper. People would rather lie or ignore you rather than tell you what the truth really is. Just a theory though, but I've been through enough bullshit to know that sometimes it comes down to something stupid - and not to take it personally.

At this point, you have to assume you didn't get the job and continue your search. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but don't take it personally. Desirable jobs can have hundreds of applicants and getting to the final round of a multi-part process is commendable and you should think of your accomplishment and use it as a motivator.

I'm not in a good position in life right now.

I'm have been stuck in a dead-end hard labor job for the past 6 years.
It's long overdue, but I'm finally trying to get out since pay still remains near minimum wage, with no advancement opportunities and management is absolute garbage right now.

To makes things worst, I'm graduating next month with a worthless marketing diploma with no job experience in the field at all.
There are co-op opportunities offered at my school but I was being stupid by not taking the chance, and now it's too late.

I guess at this point, I should to try looking into local marketing internship opportunities on my own.
Or at the very least, I should first find something temporary that isn't as physically and mentally stressful and pays a bit better.

I've been making many stupid life choices, but I'm near a breaking point where I really need to get out for good.
It'll be nice if you guys can give me some advice on how I should fix this mess.

There are no ifs ands or buts to it, using your time to obtain a marketing diploma is risky as a lot of people can get these easily. I can think of more than a few people I know with them. Some successful and some not. One of my most successful friends - working in marketing for a style company and driving a nice Audi which her company gives her a free monthly travel stipend for - has a community college business diploma. I can honestly say in spite of her having that two-year community college diploma (from a school you have to be on a waitlist to get into because everyone gets in), it's truly just a piece of paper. It had no effect on her success.

What did have an impact on her success is her aggressive nature. She is in an industry where it truly is all about who you know. 100%. She started out in sales - door to door type stuff and formed a bond with her coworkers who were also aggressive salespeople. From there, as her friends become more successful, she had a network of people working for better companies she could call on for favours or opportunities.

Her current position is almost entirely based on a phone call made to a friend looking for a chance to work somewhere better and make more money. Sure, she could say she has that diploma and it looks nice on her resume, but you sleep through community college. You know that. She based her current situation on making those connections and then working hard to get more opportunities.

Start somewhere - maybe in retail where you can make commission and exercise your soft skills. Lose weight, get fit, focus on your appearance. Make people like you. It's superficial, but in marketing, it's how you make it.

You want some motivation? Are there people who you believe have a low opinion of you? Prove those assholes wrong.

Flipped on the "looking" switch on LinkedIn and one recruiter sent me a message full of cheesy jokes and promises that the interview process will be fun. Ugh.

To add to this - here is a giant amazing tip for everyone. If at any point in a job application process if any one ever says that have "fun" at a job, it is a GIANT RED FLAG - stay away. By
"fun" they mean passive aggressive bullshit is the way things are run and they get a serious trip from it.

Here's a better tip. Observe the way people act around you in the interview process. The best way to see if someone is really interested in working with you is to see how relaxed and straight-forward they get. It's always been a good sign that my interviewee swears in front of me (DONT SWEAR BACK). It's not professional in any way, but you get a better look at the way your potential employers might think. If they're trying really hard to explain how "fun" they are to you, then they're probably hiding a bigger problem. If they use curses to try to explain a situation you might find yourself in at the job, you're getting a kind of real insight.

I used to work for an extremely awful company in the most passive aggressive environment you can imagine - they were up and down the most fun people in the universe according to them - but once you stepped foot in that office, you were hearing the admin assistant bitch to the manager - RIGHT BEHIND YOUR BACK - literally -in a hushed but loud enough for me to hear tone - about how you fucked up ten times that day.

Fuck "fun" in the workplace. Give me hard work and awesome people instead.

dukeoflegs

Well I didn't get the job. Kinda bummed they waited until 4pm on Friday to say no. Thought it went well over the course of the interviews. Maybe I should look at this as a positive and do my own thing. Fuck it, time to have a beer.

Ten_Fold

Im in a rough place, my college is all messy and I can't afford to take another class since i have to pay rent and bills, I work at a dead-end retail job making $10 an hour I've been learning html,css and bootstrap when I have a couple hours of free time but its very hard to keep learn when my schedule is very random every week. My issue is I'm not sure what to do its very hard to save since I don't make alot and the only type of job experience I have is customer service I really wish I could find a job that pays a couple dollars more. I just feel so shitty and im only 24 years old.

JDHarbs

Im in a rough place, my college is all messy and I can't afford to take another class since i have to pay rent and bills, I work at a dead-end retail job making $10 an hour I've been learning html,css and bootstrap when I have a couple hours of free time but its very hard to keep learn when my schedule is very random every week. My issue is I'm not sure what to do its very hard to save since I don't make alot and the only type of job experience I have is customer service I really wish I could find a job that pays a couple dollars more. I just feel so shitty and im only 24 years old.
Right there with ya.

dskillzhtown

I know I am late on this. But until you start working at a job, and like it you should continue looking for work. I am in a similar situation with a company. I interviewed with 3 people in one day, knocked it out of the park. Was told it was between me and another person. Then HR called me saying to expect an offer in the next couple of days. That was over a week and a half ago. The HR rep has contacted me 2 times saying the offer is still coming.
In the meantime I have been interviewing at companies that seem to be a much better fit with what I want to do.

Today the VP from the company I am to get the offer from emailed, saying he wants to call this afternoon. I am assuming he will extend the offer but honestly...I feel like waiting for the other jobs. The process with the first job has been drawn out and things just seem "off" there. IMO, it is not as good of a fit as the other jobs. But we will see what he has to say this afternoon first.

MC Safety

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but it's this part of the process that drives me nuts.

I've chosen to apply for a job with Amazon. I write a new cover letter for each application and attach it to my résumé.

Amazon already has one of my cover letter/résumé combinations on file. When I go to replace the old one with the new one I've written, I find my profile just defaults to the original résumé. So I've wasted my time writing a new cover letter and have on file something that may not pertain to the job I've just applied to.

Today I had a 2 hour in-person interview at Amazon. It was intense. Really smart people. I felt like I did well and would be a good fit there but we'll see. They'll have feedback for me in 5 days.

Last Wednesday I interviewed for 2 hours in-person with a nationwide blood operations place. That interview went well but I haven't heard back anything yet.

Last Monday I interviewed with a trucking company for 2 hours also. That went ok. Don't think I made the cut though.

Later today I have a video interview with a broking and solutions company.

I hope one of these pans out or I will be depressed!

Today I had a 2 hour in-person interview at Amazon. It was intense. Really smart people. I felt like I did well and would be a good fit there but we'll see. They'll have feedback for me in 5 days.

You don't have a Prime subscription? Borrow a friend's and you'll get a response tomorrow.

All the applications for jobs I don't want are hurrying along through the process while the ones I do want have been stagnant for over a month(s).

L̶a̶s̶t̶ W̶e̶d̶n̶e̶s̶d̶a̶y̶ I̶ i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶v̶i̶e̶w̶e̶d̶ f̶o̶r̶ 2̶ h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ i̶n̶-̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶ a̶ n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶w̶i̶d̶e̶ b̶l̶o̶o̶d̶ o̶p̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶.̶ T̶h̶a̶t̶ i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶v̶i̶e̶w̶ w̶e̶n̶t̶ w̶e̶l̶l̶ b̶u̶t̶ I̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ h̶e̶a̶r̶d̶ b̶a̶c̶k̶ a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ y̶e̶t̶.̶

Last Monday I interviewed with a trucking company for 2 hours also. That went ok. Don't think I made the cut though.

Later today I have a video interview with a broking and solutions company.

I hope one of these pans out or I will be depressed!

Got the rejection email from Blood Systems today.

Still no word from Swift Transportation although that's a long shot.

Phone interview with Financial Engines this afternoon.

Amazon will have feedback by Friday.

Feeling sad about Blood Systems - that interview went really well imo.

Got the rejection email from Blood Systems today.

Still no word from Swift Transportation although that's a long shot.

Phone interview with Financial Engines this afternoon.

A̶m̶a̶z̶o̶n̶ w̶i̶l̶l̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ f̶e̶e̶d̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ b̶y̶ F̶r̶i̶d̶a̶y̶.̶

Feeling sad about Blood Systems - that interview went really well imo.

Shot down by Amazon just now. Man this really is soul-crushing.

In-person interview with Financial Engines next week.

Necrovex

Been getting a stream of interviews over the last few weeks with a major cancer research center and the Florida State Department of Health. I'm surprised I'm getting so many hits with my limited amount of experience (though my Peace Corps experience must be getting a lot of intrigues).

I'm hoping I get an offer in the near future. I interviewed at a place today that would be an amazing stepping stone position as I was doing this type of work in Peace Corps for the last few years. Had an amazing connection with the women in charge, and the interview went for an hour and a half when it could have been easily halved that if the chemistry wasn't there. Though I may just be hoping like no tomorrow with my mindset.

Earlier this week I was talking to a someone at a studio that i'd like to work at. Had an email conversation with one of the higher ups because I had a close friend send my info and resume to them last week, had skipped the application process too. Was pretty excited since this particular one that I spoke to since the location is nice. I've worked at studios in LA and Canada before, but this would have been a lot close to home. Everything seemed to be going alright until I got the dreaded "I'll be in touch soon" at the end of the last email I received. Unfortunately, that was on Monday afternoon.

In my experience, I've come to learn that most of the time, if I hear "I'll keep/stay/be in touch" from a recruiter or HR or whoever I talk to while speaking to a company, usually it's followed by radio silence. I know it's only been a few days, but I'm not going to get my hopes up over this one. Would have been nice, too. Ah well, back to the grind, maybe I'll find something around the area if I'm lucky.

Got an offer - yay, definitely want to accept it.

However - I signed a 1-year non-compete for my current job and the offer is from a competitor. Competitor knows about my non-compete, which I shared with them early in the process. They said that they're legally covered on their end, but that probably doesn't extend to me personally. So I'm currently trying to get in touch with a lawyer (looking local for firms that have dealt with my employer before) to assess my risk.

After 9 months on the job hunt, this is of course what would happen. Even if I can't take this job I might just quit anyway. Sick and tired of spinning my wheels here getting nothing out of my work.

Been searching for about two months now. Finally got an offer yesterday.

Everyone out there still grinding. It gets better and it will come! Keep going.
I ended up having good success from turning on my linkedin premium and looking at opportunities from there.

A little update from June of last year. This was legit. I start my internship this summer. $35/hour and it gets bumped to $40 after six months. I'll also have the AAS in process tech completed next fall, because what's one more degree after two?

I'm actually really excited for something for the first time in a while.

So, GAF. I've worked in sales and marketing for about 5 years now and frankly, I'm fucking sick of it. I have two degrees, one in media production and one in organizational communications. Additionally, I have really strong references--one being the VP of the company I currently work for. I've sent my resume out to at least 40 different companies and everything has been a dead end.

This fall, I've been given the opportunity to attend a technical school to complete a chemistry program they have, for a job at Dow Chemical. The program would take me about six months, and I would leave with an assured six-figure union job at Dow. The biggest issue is that I would have to quit where I'm working and find some sort of part time job. I do have a bit in savings and I could divest my 401k, which would give me about 14k to live on.

Should I do this? Has anyone worked in a lab at a chemical plant?

It's frustrating because I know I can excel so well in tmobile and make a lot of money but i just can't seem to get past the interview process. I even got as far as getting a background check and they still decided to go with a different person.

Is it actually a good idea to move from programming (mainly C/C++ + whatever was thrown at us at the side) to 'general' IT?

Currently live in a third country, I'm thinking of looking for work in other countries (Japan, Aus, European). I don't want to be too old to try searching for work abroad, and I want my mom to stop working sooner than later.

I have a technical phone interview with google tomorrow for the Internal Technical Residency Program. I'm more nervous than I have ever been!

Any advice?

I'm kind of losing my mind worrying about this lol

LosDaddie

Banned
A little update from June of last year. This was legit. I start my internship this summer. $35/hour and it gets bumped to $40 after six months. I'll also have the AAS in process tech completed next fall, because what's one more degree after two?

I'm actually really excited for something for the first time in a while.

I remember that post. Glad it worked out for you.

Theandrin

Anyone have any experience working for Amazon in a non-operations role? I have my face-to-face interview with them on Thursday for an HR position. Everything I been hearing so far has sounded great, but I know they are also trying to sell me on the company too. It sounds like a dream opportunity for me but I keep reading some conflicting things on websites like Glassdoor. They are all operational jobs though and HR has always been different in my previous positions.

Top Bottom