• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2012 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Best selling game sold less than 236K, Kid Icarus]

m.i.s.

Banned
How is this a fact when the very first post of this thread has a quote where the 3DS is currently outselling the DS 14 months into their respective lives? This is also ignoring for a moment that the 3DS has not had a big casual hit of its own yet and there is currently no 3DS pokemon game.

Now, will the 3DS have one of those big casual hits? That is certainly arguable, but so far you've posted no actual facts to back up your argument and there is a quote on the first page that states the exact opposite.

Just curious, what of the abysmal sales of PSV? The claim that Nintendo is acquiring sales from PSV rather than growing the handheld market as a whole? That DS first year sales were pretty anaemic anyway and that 3DS's sales [successor to the most successful handheld ever] are not upto par with GBA [also successor to the most successful handheld ever up to that point] in the equivalent time period?

Fun anecdote: I have NEVER seen a child with a DS or 3DS.
Every single kid I know (nephews, nieces, friends' children -- about 15 or so, all from the ages of 6-13) has a DS and/or a 3DS. I think almost all have both at this point as they'll all started upgrading around Christmas time.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Hey guys. The column was up quick this morning! I've fixed the spellcheck underlining on the NDS graph, but I see the one here isn't a direct link. When I'm back later, I'll drop the other hardware ASPs here.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: I believe 50K or more Star Wars bundles would be enough to make Star Wars the top title for the month (combined SKUs).

Novid

Banned
Hey guys. The column was up quick this morning! I've fixed the spellcheck underlining on the NDS graph, but I see the one here isn't a direct link. When I'm back later, I'll drop the other hardware ASPs here.

Edit: I believe 50K or more Star Wars bundles would be enough to make Star Wars the top title for the month (combined SKUs).

familyguyvomit.gif.

massoluk

Banned
Taking the commuter train and subway each day, I cannot remember the last time I saw a student (i see hundreds each day) have anything except a smartphone or Ipad (non Ipad tablets are a rare site also).

Until Nintendo/Sony adapt to this it will only get worse from them.

I have two 3ds's for the kids...and they fight over my 3 year old Ipod touch when we go on trips

I only do it when I can't play 3DS with one hand on the overhead grip on the crowded subway. If I managed to get a seat, I takes out my 3DS.

BurntPork

Banned
Probably the real reason why they haven't even cared of releasing the PR this time, combined with the sub-150k 3DS result, obviously.
Considering Wii's completely empty release schedule, I'm not expecting Nintendo PR in NPD threads until at least August, and from then not until November if that's the reason for this month. :/

Hammer24

Banned

Thanks, buddy!

Indyana

Thanks.

Just updated the DS graph.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The other ASPs, which aren't as interesting perhaps:
NDS+3DS = $155
PSV = $266
Wii = $149
PSP = $130

I didn't ask for PS2, but it's been around $98-$100 for a while, and sales are so low that it contributes a tiny amount to the hardware figure.

I did what I could about Xenoblade, asking NPD directly for any help they could give. I got nothing. So even though the next column is about software, don't expect miracles.

Hammer24

Banned
NDS+3DS = $155
PSV = $266
Wii = $149
PSP = $130

I didn't ask for PS2, but it's been around $98-$100 for a while, and sales are so low that it contributes a tiny amount to the hardware figure.

I did what I could about Xenoblade, asking NPD directly for any help they could give. I got nothing. So even though the next column is about software, don't expect miracles.

"Not as interesting"?! You´re kidding, right? ;)
Let´s note a couple of things:
- the 360 ASP jump is rather sharp, from 260 to 325 US$
-- from that you estimated the SW bundle numbers, that basically mean about one third of the 360´s sold were this rather expensive bundles
-- all the while the PS3 ASP fell further, to 262US$; which probably means Sony will wait even longer with a price drop, as they are selling less than MS at a lower price anyways
- seeing the PSV ASP actually higher than the PS3 one doesn´t seem to be particularly healthy, even double the ASP of the PSP - this way only the hardcore/early adopters come onboard

jvm

Gamasutra.
That $266 number for the Vita means the split between the Wifi and 3G versions is around 70/30?
That's probably roughly true. My recollection of the past few weeks is that there have been some discounts and bundles, which the NPD Group accounts for in their ASP computation. Also the FEB is still available from Amazon (i.e. not a third-party seller through Amazon), now at $338, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's available at other retailers.

kswiston

If someone told me they have never seen a child with a DS/3DS, I would guess that they are not around children that often.

I was teaching grade 8 for a few months and 2-3 students regularly brought their 3DS systems to class. I have 4-5 cousins in the 12-15 bracket now, but when they were a few years younger all of them were attached to their DS systems. There was always one or two at a family event.

What is less common is seeing adults/teens on public transit/airplanes with handhelds these days. I have seen the odd DS or PSP, but 95% of the people playing games are playing games on their phones. I see more tablets than handhelds on buses and trains these days.

jvm

Gamasutra.
"Not as interesting"?! You´re kidding, right? ;)
Let´s note a couple of things:
- the 360 ASP jump is rather sharp, from 260 to 325 US$
-- from that you estimated the SW bundle numbers, that basically mean about one third of the 360´s sold were this rather expensive bundles
-- all the while the PS3 ASP fell further, to 262US$; which probably means Sony will wait even longer with a price drop, as they are selling less than MS at a lower price anyways
- seeing the PSV ASP actually higher than the PS3 one doesn´t seem to be particularly healthy, even double the ASP of the PSP - this way only the hardcore/early adopters come onboard
In my defense, I meant that the extra ASPs weren't as interesting. PSV is maybe the most interesting. :)

I'm going to disagree with the PS3 angle, because I think we're at a point where basically the $250 system is the only one selling. That means to me that they've sapped all the people who might buy a more expensive system (with its current features) and are getting only people who find $250 a low enough price to go for it. The only way they can open up more demand, then, is to get below that. They are already doing premiums with retailers (bundles, gift cards) and that's not moving the needle, but those aren't real price drops. You can't do a headline with that.

Now, maybe they're at a tolerably low level of sales and they're willing to suffer through June, July, and August reports (on May, June, July respectively), but that seems out of step with their focus on gaming as a source of strength for the company. This summer could be just about as painful as last summer for the whole industry, and Sony's going to take some of that pain publicly if they stay around this level of sales each month.

If Microsoft announces that their $100 Xbox/Kinect/Live program is going nationwide at GameStop and others, this is going to be even more uncomfortable for Sony. I am particularly optimistic for Microsoft's fortunes with this program, but I'll admit that's my gut speaking and not facts. (We have none, yet.)

Finally, yes, the PSV > PS3 situation is ugly. :( What to do?

Hammer24

Banned
Finally, yes, the PSV > PS3 situation is ugly. :( What to do?

If I had to decide - I´d let the PS3 stay where its at (like I said, in the US they´re selling fewer units at a lower price than MS anyways), and take my war chest to make a sharp PSV price drop.
If they really want to succeed with their handheld, they need to adopt a printer business model: sell the printer (read: PSV) very cheap, and recoup the losses with pricey toners (read: software). The PSV split should be 149/199 US$ max, including a small mem card.
Then nickel and dime peripherals and software.

1-D_FTW

If I had to decide - I´d let the PS3 stay where its at (like I said, in the US they´re selling fewer units at a lower price than MS anyways), and take my war chest to make a sharp PSV price drop.
If they really want to succeed with their handheld, they need to adopt a printer business model: sell the printer (read: PSV) very cheap, and recoup the losses with pricey toners (read: software). The PSV split should be 149/199 US$ max, including a small mem card.

Problem is, there are owners (and hardcore ones if they've already purchased it) snd software sales are worse than the hardware sales. So who cares if you move more units (at a loss), if people aren't buying software.

Vita has many issues, but #1 without question is getting software released that people actually want to buy. Until that happens, the rest is moot.

Problem is they already see the memory card as toner not printer

BurntPork

Banned
NDS+3DS = $155
PSV = $266
Wii = $149
PSP = $130

The fact that this seems skewed toward the DSi is both puzzling and worrying...

BKK

It's not like SCEA (and other regions) have much freedom on price, they'll drop it once SCEI drops the price. These things are planned a long time in advance and generally based on reductions in production costs. I don't think a few months of lowish NPD sales would bring a price cut forward, so I'd agree with Pachter on this one.

Hammer24

Banned
Problem is, there are owners (and hardcore ones if they've already purchased it) snd software sales are worse than the hardware sales.

Thats to be expected, if you only sell to the early adopters, who buy a novelty and don´t actually play the thing.

So who cares if you move more units (at a loss), if people aren't buying software.

Mainstream would buy SW, and the catalogue up to now is not that bad.

Vita has many issues, but #1 without question is getting software released that people actually want to buy. Until that happens, the rest is moot.

I think its the other way around: with a minuscule installed base, why would a developer do something on the machine? And 1st party alone wont keep it afloat just by itself.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The fact that this seems skewed toward the DSi is both puzzling and worrying...

We already know 3DS sold better than DS, however ( just like all months since the cut ). Probably, there are also those Lite units still sold counted...

I think its the other way around: with a minuscule installed base, why would a developer do something on the machine? And 1st party alone wont keep it afloat just by itself.

If developer's are waiting for the system to grow an install base then it's already dead. Games take multiple years to develop and even if the Vita started taking off by the end of 2012 with a Vita price drop, it might be around 2015 before the results of that would show up in the software produced by third-parties.

Hammer24

Banned
If developer's are waiting for the system to grow an install base then it's already dead. Games take multiple years to develop and even if the Vita started taking off by the end of 2012 with a Vita price drop, it might be around 2015 before the results of that would show up in the software produced by third-parties.

IIRC the PSV dev kits shipped a long time ago. Devs should be able to go quicker. (Please correct me, didn´t someone say the dev kits were the earliest they ever got from a hw manufacturer?)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
IIRC the PSV dev kits shipped a long time ago. Devs should be able to go quicker. (Please correct me, didn´t someone say the dev kits were the earliest they ever got from a hw manufacturer?)

Netherrealm already talked about Vita in 2010, IIRC.
And then, they did a MK port ( rich port, however )

jman2050

he's talking about devs starting new projects, not devs releasing the projects they already started before release.

Errbody bomba, jesus. PS3 back to 2008 levels, Wii down to PS3 2007 levels, Apple is probably selling more iOS devices in a day than Sony moved all month.

Fucking Kinect Star Wars outsold the Witcher 2. I just can't even wrap my head around that.

Hammer24

Banned
he's talking about devs starting new projects, not devs releasing the projects they already started before release.

Why? Software is software, no matter if its been in development for years or if its just a quick-n-dirty port. A steady release sched is needed, not just a couple AAA money sinks every half a year.

salpa

Banned
If someone told me they have never seen a child with a DS/3DS, I would guess that they are not around children that often.

I have 8 nieces and nephews that I see quite often. My girlfriend has been babysitting while in college, and I go with her every time.

I've also been to quite a few baseball games in the last year. I had my 3DS with me, and the only person to even make a comment on it was some macho looking kid who jokingly tried to trade me for it.

Perhaps it is just possible that the general conception that only kids buy Nintendo products is bullshit? I have almost 100 unique Streetpasses, and more than half of them is just from my college, and the majority of the others have beards and other sorts of items that would make me assume they are not children either.

I am not saying for one second that adults buy more handhelds than children. I am merely pointing out that the general consensus that only kids buy Nintendo handhelds is bullshit and needs to die.

I live in kind of a big city. Not the biggest, but one of the easiest to live in. My college just happens to be near a giant business community, and right on the edge of popular tourist spots. I see people every day while at school taking out their DSi or 3DS to take pictures of buildings and other attractions. Just last week I saw this one woman; the thought of seeing a 60+ year old woman with a pink DSi literally made me stop and stare for a second just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Cheebo

Banned
Errbody bomba, jesus. PS3 back to 2008 levels, Wii down to PS3 2007 levels, Apple is probably selling more iOS devices in a day than Sony moved all month.

Fucking Kinect Star Wars outsold the Witcher 2. I just can't even wrap my head around that.

Apple moves about 15 million iPads, 35 million iPhones, 8 million iPod Touches a quarter. So about 58 million iOS devices a quarter, a quarter has about 90 days in it so about 650k iOS devices are sold each day.

Apple moves about 15 million iPads, 35 million iPhones, 8 million iPod Touches a quarter. So about 58 million iOS devices a quarter, a quarter has about 90 days in it so about 650k iOS devices are sold each day.

So my comparison applies to Vita ww sales and then some.

Edit: I live in Boston. I have literally never seen a Vita or 3DS in public.

muu

Why? Software is software, no matter if its been in development for years or if its just a quick-n-dirty port. A steady release sched is needed, not just a couple AAA money sinks every half a year.

Even something that looks like 'a quick and dirty port' takes work. Not to mention, in larger companies I wouldn't be surprised if it takes months for a simple project to get approval and budget. Vita's not quite up to PS3 standards so adjustments must be made, and it's probably going to be generous to say they can get a port project completed in 6 months.

And even those, people likely will not act on until someone else's set successful precedent. Probably going to be tons of interest on how well MGS collection does.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

One game is called Star Wars. The other is called Witcher. Is it really that surprising to you? Also, not everyone watch gameplay videos before buying a game.

Yep. Most titles that began development for Vita before launch will still ship (with exceptions like Sega Hardlight's new action/adventure IP, which was recently moved to iOS), but the question is how/whether Sony will be able to convince those studios, and those that were never on board with the platform in the first place, to keep supporting Vita after those titles are out.

BurntPork

Banned
We already know 3DS sold better than DS, however ( just like all months since the cut ). Probably, there are also those Lite units still sold counted...
That's great for last month, but DSi/XL is getting a price cut next week. DS might start outselling 3DS again.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep. Most titles that began development for Vita before launch will still ship (with exceptions like Sega Hardlight's new action/adventure IP, which was recently moved to iOS), but the question is how/whether Sony will be able to convince those studios, and those that were never on board with the platform in the first place, to keep supporting Vita after those titles are out.
This is just a rumor so far. It could happen, but nothing is confirmed yet. It is based on that Tom Jubert wrote on his resume that he worked on an unnanounced iOS game from Hardlight Studios. Either it is a typo, or Hardlight is working on two games (or multiplatform), or that the game has been completely moved to iOS. Only time will tell =)

muu

It'd be interesting to know what kind of bean-spilling NPD allows/disallows, and why. Numbers from the mfg themselves must be fair game considering MS put out Xbox hardware numbers, what's behind hiding the multiplat titles, or the singular ones? Is it a platform holder's request because it can make MS/Sony/Ninty look bad? Or a publisher one, as sales data can skew user interest to a particular console, which may or may not help them from being branded as overly loyal to certain hardware?

It'd be interesting to know what kind of bean-spilling NPD allows/disallows, and why. Numbers from the mfg themselves must be fair game considering MS put out Xbox hardware numbers, what's behind hiding the multiplat titles, or the singular ones? Is it a platform holder's request because it can make MS/Sony/Ninty look bad? Or a publisher one, as sales data can skew user interest to a particular console, which may or may not help them from being branded as overly loyal to certain hardware?

I think the general policy is that NPD doesn't release any numbers publicly. Platform holders can release their hw numbers if they choose. Publishers of individual games can release their individual sw title numbers (or combined platform sales) if they choose.

Top Bottom