• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2012 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Best selling game sold less than 236K, Kid Icarus]

legend166

So at what stage does someone, anyone, maybe admit that giving no significant support to the market leader whilst it was breaking records for three years probably wasn't the best idea?

impact

Banned
PSP had a terrific first year in the US. A shame that Sony never bothered to maintain that momentum or had an answer to the DS Lite and NSMB.

A damn shame indeed
hei58.gif

Cipherr

23icry1.png

Damn.... we need to sweep this month under the rug, lock the thread, open the Diablo III OT in a new tab and pretend this shit never happened.

Satchel

Banned
The doom and gloom in here is funny.

All the manufacturers are making nice money on their hardware now.

Marketshare means nothing at this point.

So at one stage does someone, anyone, maybe admit that giving no significant support to the market leader whilst it was breaking records for three years probably wasn't the best idea?

I think Capcom admitted it at one point. And some others like EA have said they "missed the boat" but aren't really planning to do anything to rectify it.

Mooreberg

So at what stage does someone, anyone, maybe admit that giving no significant support to the market leader whilst it was breaking records for three years probably wasn't the best idea?
I think the Wii should have come out sooner than it did. Publishers started seeing the dollar signs with all of the post release money they could make on Xbox 360. PS3 became a convenient port destination, as did PC in a lot of cases.

Are you serious? Hardcore games didn't sell on the Wii, period. In fact nothing much did, but Nintendo games a few faddish titles that unpredictably caught on.

People blame everybody but themselves. If the Wii market is so lucrative, you start a company and go rake in all that cash developing for it and see how far you get.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Here we go.
SCEA PR said:
According to the April NPD, the PlayStation ecosystem continues to grow with exclusive titles such as MLB12: The Show landing in the top 5 SKUs. Digital-only software titles, including Journey for PS3 and Escape Plan for PS Vita, helped to further bolster growth. PS Vita is gaining momentum as major new software titles like Mortal Kombat and social applications, such as Skype, saw strong demand with consumers. With E3 around the corner, PlayStation remains laser focused on continuing to deliver the industry's best gaming experiences.
-- Dan Race, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As for Xenoblade, that's gotta be the worst excuse ever to not publish a game sales numbers.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Serious question:

Is there hard evidence that Kinect was really a sustained driving force of sales for Xbox360 in the second half of the generation?

I mean for the Wii, the 'motion' titles dominated the charts for months and months and months. Wii play, Wii sports resort, Wii fit, just dance, etc.

I always felt that 360 simply hit its stride with an amazing library and constant stream of releases.

Sure, there is evidence that kinect hardware bundles sell better than ones without, but if you look at the top sellers, it is usually core titles, not kinect ones.

I think xbox did more to sell kinect than kinect did to sell xbox.

kassatsu

Banned
Here we go.

Yes.

According to the April NPD, the PlayStation ecosystem continues to grow with exclusive titles such as MLB12: The Show landing in the top 5 SKUs. Digital-only software titles, including Journey for PS3 and Escape Plan for PS Vita, helped to further bolster growth. PS Vita is gaining momentum as major new software titles like Mortal Kombat and social applications, such as Skype, saw strong demand with consumers. With E3 around the corner, PlayStation remains laser focused on continuing to deliver the industry's best gaming experiences.

jman2050

Serious question:

Is there hard evidence that Kinect was really a sustained driving force of sales for Xbox360 in the second half of the generation?

I think Kinect helped for a while, but I think the big elephant in the room everyone ignores is COD. That absolutely was and is still a system seller for the HD twins.

Coolwhip

Banned
By all means hurry up with the buggy hardware and mediocre launch titles. I'm getting sick of all these polished games releasing almost every month.

How were sales of PS2, Xbox and GCN a year before the current gen came out? I'm not so sure that a new bunch of consoles would change things too much.

I think the Wii should have come out sooner than it did. Publishers started seeing the dollar signs with all of the post release money they could make on Xbox 360. PS3 became a convenient port destination, as did PC in a lot of cases.
How early are you talking? Wasn't a big part of the problem the large numbers of devs/pubs betting on the PS3 (with the 360 benefiting from the need for multiplat releases)?

B.O.O.M

Sony's NPD PR is always crappy. Even when they are doing good. This PR is no different and tells us absolutely nothing. Hopefully Nintendo will give some information, at least some percentages

magash

I think Kinect helped for a while, but I think the big elephant in the room everyone ignores is COD. That absolutely was and is still a system seller for the HD twins.

Speaking of Kinect does anyone have a breakdown of software sales for the device because one thing that disturbs me about Kinect is software sales.

Talwind

I think Nintendo is in a good position to release WiiU soon. If Nintendo successfully markets the unique hook(tablet and w/e they reveal at E3) they have , I think they hope to catch more people than PS4/720(presumably a repeat with shinier graphics).

I also don't think all developers are going to ignore a whole platform just because of UE4. Choosing the route of longer development times, higher development costs, and less return just for prettier graphics sounds incredibly stupid. Unless of course they WANT to wipe themselves out completely.

donny2112

Serious question:

I mean for the Wii, the 'motion' titles dominated the charts for months and months and months. Wii play, Wii sports resort, Wii fit, just dance, etc.

I always felt that 360 simply hit its stride with an amazing library and constant stream of releases.

Sure, there is evidence that kinect hardware bundles sell better than ones without, but if you look at the top sellers, it is usually core titles, not kinect ones.

I think xbox did more to sell kinect than kinect did to sell xbox.

Slim started the rise.
Kinect bundles were almost the only thing in stock for much of early 2011, which pushed up the % of Kinect console sales a good bit.
I thought I read that standalone Kinect sales have really gone down. How are accessory $'s doing YOY?

Kinect definitely helped. Combined with Slim, it was a mighty force in 2011. I don't personally think that Kinect was the main driving force last year, but it certainly helped a good bit.

Mooreberg

I also don't think all developers are going to ignore a whole platform just because of UE4. Choosing the route of longer development times, higher development costs, and less return just for prettier graphics sounds incredibly stupid. Unless of course they WANT to wipe themselves out completely.
I think it has a lot to do with what goes on with the other consoles. If they both take a leap forward, PS+Xbox+PC will win out again. If it is two consoles versus one console and the PC market, there could be a split in favor of the two lower power consoles. One console and a piracy hole are not going to cover costs in a few years.

BurntPork

Banned
Sony's NPD PR is always crappy. Even when they are doing good. This PR is no different and tells us absolutely nothing. Hopefully Nintendo will give some information, at least some percentages

Nintendo never gives percentages.

I still don't think there will be a Nintendo PR.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ugh no. The core gamers dont buy a 3ds, vita or ipad. I do own a tablet but i dont game much..beside social games but that doesnt really count.

We are still gaming on our ps360. The next gen systems just have to be super powerful and people will do the same thing.

Please, give me a source for this "core gamer" data you speak of.

Are you serious? Hardcore games didn't sell on the Wii, period. In fact nothing much did, but Nintendo games a few faddish titles that unpredictably caught on.

People blame everybody but themselves. If the Wii market is so lucrative, you start a company and go rake in all that cash developing for it and see how far you get.

Early sales of games like CoD 3, RE4, Umbrella Chronicles, and even Red Steel were promising. Nothing to write home about, but a good start on a burgeoning platform. And then... nothing else came to capture that audience.

donny2112

Early sales of games like CoD 3, RE4, Umbrella Chronicles, and even Red Steel were promising. Nothing to write home about, but a good start on a burgeoning platform. And then... nothing else came to capture that audience.

Revisionist history is a pastime on GAF.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but here is what's probably going on with the NPD/GameStop/Xenoblade situation...

Short version: Retailer-specific information is verboten. It was excluded from the public release. It is almost certainly included in data that subscribers get.

Longer version: One thing that the NPD Group tries to avoid is giving out any retailer-specific information. I believe that this may be part of their agreement with the retailers with which they have data-sharing deals. This protects retailers from knowing too much about each other, if I understand correctly.

I've been told that this is why Wal-mart was always a sore spot. They are 25% of the market, so they felt that the NPD Group's reports were giving away information about their business. (Not sure how that's going to be different now. They still aren't integrating any data from their agreement with Wal-mart yet.)

Since Xenoblade was a retailer exclusive, its sales would give away information about a specific retailer, so it can't be included in the public report. It is almost certainly in the subscriber data.

BurntPork

Banned
Operation Raccoon City sold more in its opening week in Japan than the best selling game did in the U.S. in all of April.

XLsyc.jpg

Let it go. Trust me, it's not worth it.

I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but here is what's probably going on with the NPD/GameStop/Xenoblade situation...

Short version: Retailer-specific information is verboten. It was excluded from the public release. It is almost certainly included in data that subscribers get.

Longer version: One thing that the NPD Group tries to avoid is giving out any retailer-specific information. I believe that this may be part of their agreement with the retailers with which they have data-sharing deals. This protects retailers from knowing too much about each other, if I understand correctly.

I've been told that this is why Wal-mart was always a sore spot. They are 25% of the market, so they felt that the NPD Group's reports were giving away information about their business. (Not sure how that's going to be different now. They still aren't integrating any data from their agreement with Wal-mart yet.)

Since Xenoblade was a retailer exclusive, its sales would give away information about a specific retailer, so it can't be included in the public report. It is almost certainly in the subscriber data.

This makes way too much sense. Clearly it is a conspiracy

Exactly. Gamers are looking for something new and if Nintendo delivers with the Wii U MS and Sony will really be in trouble

Not really as the only place to get good online throgh consoles is by Sony or MS. As long as Nintendo keeps dropping the ball on online, they have nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom