• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

It's not that simple. Safer genre/archetypal/originality yet more expensive to make games. Less games, less sales. Less sales, less publishers and developers. Less publishers and developers, lower market penetration. If you can't see it I would suggest you open our eyes.
These things are only true if you are looking at traditional consoles, not the industry as a whole.

For context on why Wii U selling ~35,000 units in April is bad:

avlZQmN.png

In summary: Wii U is doomed.

netBuff

It's not that simple. Safer genre/archetypal/originality yet more expensive to make games. Less games, less sales. Less sales, less publishers and developers. Less publishers and developers, lower market penetration. If you can't see it I would suggest you open our eyes.

I'm not sure what you are even trying to say, but I thought the same thing when the FM Towns Marty failed to gain traction: It was a sad time.

StevieP

Banned
You and others are only saying that because the WiiU is bombing. Nothing supports what you say. Nothing, especially since the PS360 are selling much more the PS2 in the same time period.

Unappealing WiiU console =/= game market is doomed.

It has nothing to do with the Wii u being a dud. Read my previous post and try to respond without making this into your typical fanboy circus. The evidence is there for an industry wide contraction which is why people are prone to the "sky is falling" hyperbole.

The visibility that the nextvXbox is going to have via the dash stream on the 21st is going to be unprecedented in this industry. That and MS can continue to hit the dash with news all the way until reveal. Their customer base on XBL will be very informed. That said the sales expectations are going to be massive as a result.

netBuff

It has nothing to do with the Wii u being a dud. Read my previous post and try to respond without making this into your typical fanboy circus. The evidence is there for an industry wide contraction which is why people are prone to the "sky is falling" hyperbole.

Android and iOS as well as the proliferation of Steam indie games alone have allowed for the formation of a much bigger and wider gaming industry and audience than we were used to: Nintendo wasn't that important to the industry at large the last few years.

jrDev

Mother of God!!!

Nintendo in catch 22. I'm pretty sure they want to release specific games when WiiU sales hit a milestone. This is the only explanation for pushing back their games...

avlZQmN.png

What would Neogaf do without your charts Aquamarine?

Thanks for these, ma'am!

599 DOLLARS PS3 (That was the time when the PS3 had no games!) sold more than the cheaper Wii U. Even in it's absolute worst moment, the PS3 still sold more than the Wii U in the US.

Holy shiet.

The sky isn't falling simply because both Sony and Nintendo put out products that nobody wants. Will there be a contraction, perhaps, but it will probably be due to a reduction in output from publishers as they focus on fewer but higher selling franchises. (Although the handheld sky is definitely descending a lot more.)

Is there still a market for home consoles. Most certainly.
Sorry.. forgot the part where it's saved by expensive tech and games that everyone's played before.
Seemed to work before. Trailing twelve months.
dXAvtgt.png

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it used to be that you needed charts and graphs to adequately sum up the wii u's market position and prospects.

nowadays an emoticon will suffice.

avlZQmN.png

For further context, the first time the original XBOX and GCN dipped below 40K in an NPD month was in April 2006, four and a half years after they launched and half a year after the 360 initiated the 7th generation.

None of the 7th gen home consoles have ever dipped below 40K.
Do we have a good Gamecube versus Wii U graph going?
Wp57ksk.png

X is months, Y is units.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
For further context, the first time the original XBOX and GCN dipped below 40K in an NPD month was in April 2006, four and a half years after they launched and half a year after the 360 initiated the 7th generation.

None of the 7th gen home consoles have ever dipped below 40K.
How many of them only had two 1st party titles released after 6 months? Wii U is a console of records.

LOCK

Though I don't see the PS4 or Nextbox selling this bad 6 months out, I do expect that they will be down compared to their predecessors. Overall, dedicated consoles and handhelds are going to see a contraction.

As for the 3DS. It didn't do as bad as it could have, but it needs to do so much better. I think Nintendo, and us need to come to terms that the original handheld market has contracted a little over 50%. That also should signify to developers that more core, traditional games are whats going to sell. I'm basing this all on SM3DL and FEA.

How many of them only had two 1st party titles released after 6 months? Wii U is a console of records.
Nintendo have published 4 retail titles on the Wii U, 5 including the co-publishing of Razor's Edge.

But sure let's pretend the $350 Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U was at severe disadvantage against the $599 PS3 with Genji: Days of Blade.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so with all the new games 3DS still sold less than 360 (less than 130k)

yeah this is very bad for the gaming handheld future in the west.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe I have a possible explanation for this drop (one of them): didn't Easter happen in April last year, while it happened in March this year?

Ahasverus

WiiU is doing BAD, like really bad, I think there's no excuse now.

I have the weird feeling that the arrival of next gen consoles will boost.. old consoles sales.

Bsigg12

so with all the new games 3DS still sold less than 360 (less than 130k)

yeah this is very bad for the gaming handheld future in the west.

I am curious to how big smartphones play into a person's decision to buy a dedicated handheld. With the millions of cheap apps available, getting a smartphone may seem more cost effective and enjoyable upfront compared to buying 30-40 dollar games for a Vita/3DS. Also, just having a device that can do multiple things including phone services is seemingly more preferable to most people anymore.

WiiU is doing BAD, like really bad, I think there's no excuse now.

I have the weird feeling that the arrival of next gen consoles will boost.. old consoles sales.

Microsoft is taking a much different stance here. By literally closing the faucet to a drip on the 360 this year, people will be seeing it as Microsoft gearing for a huge nextgen push. There will still be a multitude of multi plat games there but it will be in the shadow of a massive marketing push for the next Xbox. Sony on the other hand is still releasing big first party games on the PS3 into the PS4s launch which could backfire if people find out they can't play PS3 games on he PS4.

How about 2 first party franchises?
Sony Computer Entertainment published 5 games in the US in the first 6 months of the PS3's release.

Resistance: Fall of Man
Genji: Days of Blade
Motorstorm
NBA 07
Formula One Championship Edition

These were clearly the difference makers. Clearly a system with a Mario title is at severe disadvantage in such comparison.

Oh, by the way, the system was $599. That must have helped a lot.

Or we can stop pretending that first-party output is the sole problem at play.

Sony Computer Entertainment published 5 games in the US in the first 6 months of the PS3's release.

Resistance: Fall of Man
Genji: Days of Blade
Motorstorm
NBA 07
Formula One Championship Edition

These were clearly the difference makers. Clearly a system with a Mario title is at severe disadvantage in such comparison.

Oh, by the way, the system was $599. That must have helped a lot.

Or we can stop pretending that first-party output is the sole problem at play.

PS3 was still coming off of the back of the PS2.

Soriku

At least 3DS is still second and probably more around 110k than 100k, since it's over 100k and over PS3. :p
Still, terrible month for everyone, who expected such low hardware...Fortunately, 3DS is having lots of titles and that will improve the situation, especially starting with Animal Crossing (it'll be huge).
Ah, 3DS software top 10 is good, sales wise. MH3U sold more than 21k in its second month, and it's 9th. And Soul Hackers sold more than that! The first Devil Survivor sold 27k in its first month, fyi. There seems to be quite a good activity in the lower positions, with titles still selling at least over 10k per month (remember February?), compared to last year.

Yeah I think Soul Hackers had a better debut than some of the other SMT games. I can consider somewhere above 21k, hopefully more like 30k, solid for the type of game it is. I expect SMT IV to be bigger and hopefully that opens at 50k+.

StreetsAhead is right, Sony struck while the iron was still hot with the PS3's release far moreso than Nintendo, who left their system to fade into irrelevance.
PS3 was still coming off of the back of the PS2.
The PS3 was a lot of things. It was coming off of the PS2. It was ridiculously expensive. It was a significant technological upgrade over the 6th gen. It was supported by third parties in a meaningful manner. It wasn't a fundamentally flawed product, or rather it was in its overengineering, but not in that it actually had a target market.

And the Wii U wasn't coming off of the back of the Wii?

If only Wii U as coming off the back of a super successful home console with the same name.

I would agree if this was 2010. Maybe even 2011. Wii hasn't been alive in the mind of the public for years at this point.

The PS3 was a lot of things. It was coming off of the PS2. It was ridiculously expensive. It was a significant technological upgrade over the 6th gen. It was supported by third parties in a meaningful manner.

I think it's difficult to judge the situations of each launch against each other exactly, of course. PS3 had a lot going for it, and against it.

The sky isn't falling simply because both Sony and Nintendo put out products that nobody wants. Will there be a contraction, perhaps, but it will probably be due to a reduction in output from publishers as they focus on fewer but higher selling franchises. (Although the handheld sky is definitely descending a lot more.)

Is there still a market for home consoles. Most certainly.
Seemed to work before. Trailing twelve months.
dXAvtgt.png

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

The marketplace has changed significantly since 2006

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

The marketplace has changed significantly since 2006
Certainly, and I'm sure Sony, Microsoft and third party publishers will watch intently to see if both this hardware trend and the software trend reverse course with the release of new systems. The point, however, is that the Wii U is really no indication of a contracting market, it's a fundamentally different product from what Sony and Microsoft intend with their successor systems.

The Wii U is what happens when you produce a 360 near-equivalent in 2012 and try to sell it at a premium because of a controller nobody cares about.

What would Neogaf do without your charts Aquamarine?

Thanks for these, ma'am!

599 DOLLARS PS3 (That was the time when the PS3 had no games!) sold more than the cheaper Wii U. Even in it's absolute worst moment, the PS3 still sold more than the Wii U in the US.

Holy shiet.

When the Xbox 1 has double the sales metrics of your system you need to start courting developers.

Honestly, Nintendo needs to call EA and beg for mercy.

And management needs to fall on their collective swords.

The sad thing is Gunpei Yokoi had to resign over the failure of the Virtual Boy, and he totally deserved a 'get out of jail free' card.

Top Bottom