• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Fools 2017 Thread (Gaming)

Piccoro

Arika VP Mihara is seemingly clarifying that this is actually playable at an event they're hosting (featuring Kazunoko), and their hiding the fact that it'll be playable is the April Fools Joke?

Doesn't mean it's gonna be made into a full game/released and certainly wouldn't be without precedent.

Yeah, that video is from a canceled 3DS game.

But something is definitely going on at Arika because they posted a SF EX Combo video this month...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO8oNbH4YGM

A.J.

Banned
YGO Duel Links now has BEWD wearing the maintenance hat when Kaiba summons it
AM1VxzH.jpgs

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That Senran Kagura character is fantastic. DLC pls; would be a good troll character in-game

The eff? Thats no april fools joke, thats an entire legit fighting game.
What does it says at the end? I dont know japanese. ;(

Fersis, don't let your heart get broken

EndMerit

Tangentially related to this topic, my local retailer just emailed me that excluding a very limited amount of Steelbook versions, their shipment of Persona 5 will probably arrive at the end of next week at it's earliest.
That's pretty funny joke you guys, ha... ha... ...

TreIII

Arika VP Mihara is seemingly clarifying that this is actually playable at an event they're hosting (featuring Kazunoko), and their hiding the fact that it'll be playable is the April Fools Joke?

Doesn't mean it's gonna be made into a full game/released and certainly wouldn't be without precedent.

Yeah, that video is from a canceled 3DS game.

But something is definitely going on at Arika because they posted a SF EX Combo video this month...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO8oNbH4YGM

*Siiiiiigh*

Again...someone please let ARIKA make a game. Unless they're working on a new Super Dragon Ball sequel, somebody just really needs to give these guys some work!

Does anyone know of any gaming April Fools jokes that eventually actually became games?

Google map's pokemon joke being the basis for Pokemon Go is the only one I can think of

League of Legends had a few april fools game modes that ended up being popular enough to become part of their alternate-game-mode rotation, if I recall correctly.
Also, wasn't Lee Sin, the Blind Monk an April Fools joke at first that turned into a character?

TreIII

Does anyone know of any gaming April Fools jokes that eventually actually became games?

Google map's pokemon joke being the basis for Pokemon Go is the only one I can think of

Melty Blood started out as a joke that became real. I know that much!

Piccoro

*Siiiiiigh*

Again...someone please let ARIKA make a game. Unless they're working on a new Super Dragon Ball sequel, somebody just really needs to give these guys some work!

When I mentioned 3DS, I was referring to this old prototype, not the new video...

But yeah, the latest Arika console game was Dr. Luigi for the Wii U. Lately they just made some mobile games.

I feel like this thread kinda defeats the purpose of April Fools. You're supposed to trick people, and no one is going to be fooled when all the April Fools stuff is confined to this thread that says "April Fools" on it.

Open Google Maps on your phone now!

Came to post this. I messed around with it for a few seconds, but didn't look to closely at the actual map screen before the game started since I actually had to drive.

Looked like they pixelated the map screen, though-- is the game's maze generated from the roads near you or something? Didn't really look that way but idk

I feel like this thread kinda defeats the purpose of April Fools. You're supposed to trick people, and no one is going to be fooled when all the April Fools stuff is confined to this thread that says "April Fools" on it.

GAF staff apparently stands on the position that they would prefer changing April Fools purpose over preserving it since they don't like it. Given the confusion that tends to arise with some of the "gags" as well as some actual releases put there just for further confusion, this is a somewhat understandable position.

Came to post this. I messed around with it for a few seconds, but didn't look to closely at the actual map screen before the game started since I actually had to drive.

Looked like they pixelated the map screen, though-- is the game's maze generated from the roads near you or something? Didn't really look that way but idk

It is based on map position. Takes major roads, creates very arbitrary loopbacks and directional mappings. If there aren't enough roads it will tell you to move the map. On desktop at least.

Top Bottom