• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April fools] Arika's Street Fighter EX characters return...

Vespa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2x8c-RFGnA

Such a great effort for an April fools...

c24a06dcb1d67edd1efcc8250feef979.jpg

I've always been a fan of the EX cast, shame there was no Skullomania in this!

It seems like Mihara from Arika tried to clarify what this is:

(This is a rather loose translation I got from someone else, so there may be something that got missed.)

"1. the exhibition is real
2. the game shown in the video is in fact playable
3. the fact that we hid that this was going to be the game played is the joke

Now we're concerned that no one is going to show up because too many people think this a fake event"

So apparently this is actually something they're working on? Or at least trying to convince someone to have them work on? Who knows.

TreIII

It may not be entirely fake, as someone else in the main April Fool's topic posted:

Arika VP Mihara is seemingly clarifying that this is actually playable at an event they're hosting (featuring Kazunoko), and their hiding the fact that it'll be playable is the April Fools Joke?

Doesn't mean it's gonna be made into a full game/released and certainly wouldn't be without precedent.

So, at least there's that.

Remove the SF characters and have it be its own thing.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

That's called "Fighting Layer". Don't think it got a console port, though...

GrayFoxPL

I don't believe for one second that all these assets were made for a joke.

There's gonna be game from this.

NotStreetFighter EX x Fighting Layer

TreIII

This isn't the first time Arika has put fighting game footage out.

I think these are projects they wanted to make, but were unable to sell to any publisher.

I want to imagine (re: HOPE BEYOND HOPE) that getting this far means that they may be getting closer. As someone else pointed out in the main AF topic, ARIKA's channel also posted a combo vid of SFEX+@. And then there's this other event that the president guy talked about on Twitter where this game will be demo'd.

Maybe a slow burn until a full release of "Fighting Layer 2/Rebirth"?

We can only hope. ARIKA deserved much better, and unless Bamco has already hit them up for a Super Dragon Ball sequel, this is the kind of thing they really need to get back out there.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
This isn't the first time Arika has put fighting game footage out.

I think these are projects they wanted to make, but were unable to sell to any publisher.

Someone please give Arika a job

Opa-Pa

Japanese companies' April's fools jokes are the worst because 99% of the time they're stuff fans want to happen and never become reality lol.

I'd legit buy SFV again if they added Skullomania as DLC. Hell, I'd just buy an Arika developed SF game too.

vg260

April Fools is the worst.

This makes me sad SFV chose to go with the whole posterization filter look instead of just clean, crisp models and backgrounds.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't believe for one second that all these assets were made for a joke.

There's gonna be game from this.

NotStreetFighter EX x Fighting Layer

Who knows? They out out test footage of an engine running on the 3DS a few years back (linked earlier in this thread) and nothing ever came of it.

Seijuro

This looks very good and very real. Would buy day 0. Shame it's April fools though. Kairi, Hokuto & co are never coming back :(

Top Bottom