• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aquaman (2018) - MINOR SPOILERS

Long live the king.
NMpFyPml.jpg

Pacing is slightly weird but other than that
this is a very entertaining movie.

I'd say it's better than Batman v. Superman (2016) and also Justice League (2017).

I can imagine some people saying Wonderwoman (2017) has better storytelling
but personally I enjoyed this movie the most from all DCEU movies until now.

Things I liked:
1. Testosterone. The first 30 minutes is man being man, with zero apologies.
moUfkcXl.jpg

2. Underwater action in other movies is usually murky, sluggish, unappealing
but in this movie it's made to look exciting and fast-paced.
5My3pPkl.jpg

3. This lady. (Amber Heard)
0VCcjkal.jpg

Things I didn't like:
1. Pacing and order of events is slightly weird.
FRbrMTWm.jpg

2. Laser eyes villain has silly looking suit.
h0IJyr2m.jpg

3. I counted 4 random explosions that happen out of nowhere. It starts feeling silly.
wyASChzm.jpg

(This isn't one of them.)

Conclusion:
In my opinion, Aquaman is DCEU's answer to Thor of MCU.
And it's a satisfying one at that.
I would pay good money to see a 3-way wrestling match between Thor and Aquaman and Loki.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm expecting a fun throwaway comic book movie. I like the comparison to Thor and trust in Wan to deliver something watchable. Hopefully this is the start of decent DCEU movies (I didn't really like Wonder Woman)

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

"I'd say it's better than Batman v. Superman (2016) and also Justice League (2017). " -mild sriracha, 2018

Careful, you're going to wind up on the back of the DVD case :p

tkscz

I got the week early Amazon Prime tickets for me and my kids so we'll be seeing it this upcoming saturday.

tkscz

How does one get Amazon Prime Tickets?

Go to atomtickets.com, sign in with your amazon prime account and look for the movie.

If they are not sold out (which they mostly were where I live at like 6 theaters) then it'll let you choose the 15th instead of the 20th.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just want a dumb, fun action movie with likeable characters and a comprehensible plot.

Basically what Transformers movies try to be but fail at.

Pejo

So I just saw this movie, and while it was incredibly stupid and the actors were bad (even Dafoe somehow), it was the single most enjoyable action movie I've seen in years.

It had everything.

Dinosaurs, lasers, giant monsters, space(water)ships, laser beams, swordfights, spear fights, horror, action, romance (lol), comedy, etc.

If you had asked me as a 12 year old, "please describe your perfect movie" this would be it. I can't hate on the bad acting or stupid plot, because it was so damn enjoyable.

Also, chainmail abs. Think about that!

So I just saw this movie, and while it was incredibly stupid and the actors were bad (even Dafoe somehow), it was the single most enjoyable action movie I've seen in years.

i will always hate when people give the compliment it was so stupid but so enjoyable. like do you think the people making this movie are oblivious to what they are making? if everything is cheesy and campy but has charm and everyone likes it guess what it doesnt make it a bad movie. it in fact makes it a good movie. if i like something then i will say "yes it was a good movie". i cant stand these whole like grandstanding bullshit of "look i made a movie so bad its good!" and then reviewers doing this bullshit of "i shouldnt like it but i do!". its like when the fuck did everyone become so scared of liking something. jesus christ. okay its not fucking oscar nominated movie who gives a shit. like what you fucking like.

JimiNutz

Banned
Terrible acting, terrible plot, incredibly cheesy but it was visually awesome, full of action and had some really good fight choreography.

It was def a fun movie but I'd be hard pressed to call it 'good'. If you like spectacular visuals then it's probably worth seeing it on the big screen though.

cryptoadam

Banned
Black Manta was one of the best parts, why does he get so much hate?

The movie as practiclly his SUPER HERO origin movie. Dad dies at the hand of his nemesis and then he gets his own montrage of building his suite, it was Ironman lite LOL.

I would of cut out the half brother storyline. Just make it that the crab people want to invade the earth and Aquaman has to get the trident to unite the kingdoms and defeat the crab people.

Pejo

i will always hate when people give the compliment it was so stupid but so enjoyable. like do you think the people making this movie are oblivious to what they are making? if everything is cheesy and campy but has charm and everyone likes it guess what it doesnt make it a bad movie. it in fact makes it a good movie. if i like something then i will say "yes it was a good movie". i cant stand these whole like grandstanding bullshit of "look i made a movie so bad its good!" and then reviewers doing this bullshit of "i shouldnt like it but i do!". its like when the fuck did everyone become so scared of liking something. jesus christ. okay its not fucking oscar nominated movie who gives a shit. like what you fucking like.
Sorry for having an honest opinion, bro!

Stuart360

Watched this last night, thought it was awesome, really blown away. I hadn't followed the film much beforehand, and didnt ready any reviews, so i was honestly gobsmacked after watching it to find that the reviews were mixed at best.
The only thing i didnt like was that black pirate guy, his suit, it looked so stupid, i actually spat my drink out when he first showed up. I dont read comics but i'm guessing it was like that in the comics, and they stayed true to the comics, it looked dumb though.
Amazing film overall though, and dem effects.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I watched it when it hit streaming services recently and really enjoyed it (should've seen it in theaters). It's a huge spectacle, vivid and colorful, packed with well-crafted action, and fun from start to finish.

LOLCats

Banned
I watched it when it hit streaming services recently and really enjoyed it (should've seen it in theaters). It's a huge spectacle, vivid and colorful, packed with well-crafted action, and fun from start to finish.

Watched it last night, came to post the same. I was surprised at how much i enjoyed it. Even if the closing scenes were a but high on the cheese scale, everything else was pretty awesome.

HDR version looked pretty good as well.

Nice to see Momoa return to Atlantis, just didnt expect it to be as a halfbreed fishman.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I just watched 46 minutes of this movie and had to turn it off. It’s terrible. I have no idea why it did so well or why people view it so positively.

It’s one poorly-executed exposition dump after another. There are weird edits and Amber Heard is one of the worst actors to ever get a gig this big. She doesn’t fit into a single scene properly. The CG is also really bad in some places.

When people said Justice League was an improvement over prior attempts, I was left scratching my head a little bit, but ok. This movie being seen as good is just unfathomable though.

Top Bottom