• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aquanaut's Holiday (PS3) announced

MadFuzzy

It was shown under a different title at TGS last year ("Aqua") but Sony has announced Aquanaut's Holiday for PS3 today. It's a Blu-Ray title (not a PSN one) and it's out on 25th September in Japan.

You can see the official website here.

The movie is essentially the same as the "Aqua" movie from last year, but there are a load of new screenshots in the "Outline" section.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not sure if making it a Blu-Ray title is the best business decision, especially given that Sony has no cap on PSN size and as titles like Warhawk and GT5P have shown us, you can really put a whole lot up there... and this isn't exactly a retail blockbuster sort of thing. 6279yen is a pretty harsh pricepoint.

I think between this, Afrika, and that PSN gardening title, Sony really has some great "relaxation" offerings. That's cool. An aerial relaxation title would be the next logical step. Do it up, Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Metalmurphy said:
I'd forgotten about this... if it's a Bluray title then it'll probably stay in Japan... shame...

I hope not... it should probably be a relatively easy import anyway from a language POV.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Japanese garden, Afrika and this. Sure Sony Japan knows how to hype me this gen.

TTP said:
Japanese garden, Afrika and this. Sure Sony Japan knows how to hype me this gen.
We're in the same boat :p Well except for the Garden game, don't care much about that, but Afrika will be my GOTY.

gofreak said:
I hope not... it should probably be a relatively easy import anyway from a language POV.
I meant more in the lines of Bluray release = bigger budget, won't be as easy to recoup the costs in foreign markets. I figure the profit would be better with a PSN release.

Quasar

TTP said:

Amusingly these are amongst the games I do want. Even the gardening game...though it looks a but more limited than what I'd like (I'd like a variety of garden styles and to be able to create the land the garden goes in).

besada

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I think between this, Afrika, and that PSN gardening title, Sony really has some great "relaxation" offerings. That's cool. An aerial relaxation title would be the next logical step. Do it up, Sony.

I'd love a good photorealistic hangliding/camera game.

I will also buy this if it comes out in the US.

Quasar

Metalmurphy said:
I meant more in the lines of Bluray release = bigger budget, won't be as easy to recoup the costs in foreign markets. I figure the profit would be better with a PSN release.

On the other hand, at least if its on BluRay I can import it. If its a Japan only PSN game I'm completely screwed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Metalmurphy said:

Nothing to stop SCEA or SCEE putting it on PSN.. Siren, IIRC, will be Blu-ray in Japan but PSN in the west.

This type of game can have an audience in the west, it's not totally obscure, so I hope SCEA and/or SCEE will bring it over. It can't hurt to put it on PSN at least.

nib95

Banned
Stunning stuff. I hope this comes PAL ways. I love this kind of serene tranquil tech demo'ish relaxing stuff. My baby niece and family gobble it all up too.

sony should do a bumper release and just put afrika/aquanaut's holiday/flower and four seasons garden onto one Blu Ray and target it to casuals in the west
i would buy it day one

reminder

Why is everyone saying "Endless Ocean in HD"? It's Aquanaut's Holiday in HD! The series already appeared on PSone and PS2, long before Endless Ocean.

gantz85

Banned
reminder said:
Why is everyone saying "Endless Ocean in HD"? It's Aquanaut's Holiday in HD! The series already appeared on PSone and PS2, long before Endless Ocean.

Because whatever Sony does is a "copy" or "ripoff" of its competitors.

It isn't the same the other way round.

gantz85 said:
Because whatever Sony does is a "copy" or "ripoff" of its competitors.

It isn't the same the other way round.

...or perhaps because Endless Ocean came out recently and posters here are more aware of it than this update of an older series?

No need to get so defensive.

Pimpwerx

Make it a PSN title and it's bought. Making this a BD game is as bad as making Hail to the Chimp a BD game. PEACE.

birdchili

is this the same dev as Endless Ocean? i somehow had it in my head that EO was the same dev as the first two Aquanaut's Holiday games.

birdchili said:
is this the same dev as Endless Ocean? i somehow had it in my head that EO was the same dev as the first two Aquanaut's Holiday games.
No, this is Artdink. EO was by Arika, who made the Everblue games. Everblue has always been more goal-oriented than AH, though it looks like this one might have a bit more in the way of story/goals. We'll see.

And if you bought Planet Earth on BD, isn't this also worthwhile on BD? C'mon, some games are gonna be a little too big to be a download. The amount of wildlife, terrain, and things to find will make this one easily too big.

This should be a no-brainer for Sony to bring over. If they don't, I'll just import. I'm really excited for this.

Oh fuck yes. I had the original on PS1 and it was a unique experience. Almost pure exploration with no goal whatsoever. I loved it.

I guess this has little chance of coming across the sea. I'll have to import.

Mau ®

Stumpokapow said:

Sky Blue is your game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQrVmo1eI-M

Little is known about it but it was shown on a PSN presentation. That was quite a while ago though...

Kittonwy

Banned
That wittle sting ray at the end is so cute.
gladtomeetya.gif

Deku

Banned
Day 1!

Someone should start a thread on the PS1 version. That was one of the best games I played that gen, even though it lacked the 'polish' of the higher budgeted games.

Gekko87

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure if making it a Blu-Ray title is the best business decision, especially given that Sony has no cap on PSN size and as titles like Warhawk and GT5P have shown us, you can really put a whole lot up there... and this isn't exactly a retail blockbuster sort of thing. 6279yen is a pretty harsh pricepoint.
Well apprently, Playstation Store isn't exactly booming in Japan, at least thats what I heard somewhere (I think 1up Yours). The japs aren't too OK with giving out there Credit Card info.

Mets39

wow! Afrika, Aquanaut' Holiday ... Pure awesome!

The day they announce a game like this but with dinosaurs , i'll be complete!

lupinko

Gekko87 said:
Well apprently, Playstation Store isn't exactly booming in Japan, at least thats what I heard somewhere (I think 1up Yours). The japs aren't too OK with giving out there Credit Card info.

That's why they can buy stuff wtih an EDY card or go to a Lawson or Family Mart and pick up PlayStation Tickets. ~_~

Top Bottom