• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ara: History Untold | A 4X turn-based grand strategy game by Oxide Games(ex-Firaxis Games devs) and published by Microsoft

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So I have not used this forum as regularly as I used to. And I just noticed this game announced in E3 2022. And apart from some mentions in places like the Geforce leak thread
‘Indus’ is Ara: History Untold

This game did not get a thread or even was properly discussed anywhere in this forum.

Unlike games like Medium or Scorn which had timed exclusivity deals, this one is directly published by Microsoft(more like Ori and Flight Simulator). The studio Oxide Games was founded in 2013, and they have not made anything since 2016, so this game possibly already has been in development for 6 years. They even made their own engine for this game(unlike Humankind which used Unity).
Q. What is the Nitrous engine?

A. Nitrous is a next-generation game engine designed to handle enormous amounts of visual and gameplay complexity, from 10,000+ simpler units to 1,000 highly complex units and environments.

Q. Why did you set out to make a 3D engine?

A. Because we wanted an engine that would allow us to break new ground and support epic battles and scenes on a wide variety of platforms. No engine on the market today can simulate and depict the scope of action that Nitrous is designed from the ground up to do. We want to create something that opens new doors to game developers, particularly in the strategy and RTS genres.

It is supposed to have a technical alpha soon for those who signed up for the insider program.

Skifi28

ULDaoxm.jpg

Someone had to, might as well be me.

GHG

Looks pretty good. Its not my genre but I love the variety of games shown. I'll try it and hope it clicks for me.

It's not releasing on console.

Anyway, definitely keeping an eye on this one. Manor Lords is locked in for me this year but this isn't releasing until the end of the year so plenty of time to clear some time/space for it provided it's good. Hopefully it's not some dumbed down crap and has decent depth.

DaGwaphics

This is probably my #2 game from the show after IJ. It surprised me how interesting it looks. The simultaneous turns will be a nice change up for this format.

GHG

This is probably my #2 game from the show after IJ. It surprised me how interesting it looks. The simultaneous turns will be a nice change up for this format.

If that's the aspect you're looking forward to most then give ozymandias a go, although it's a much more simple take on the formula with the idea that games can be completed in a lot less time than your usual 4x game.

I have a spare key for it if you want because humble botched the region they gave me intially?

These are the conditions for the key to be valid for you:

Everyone else: (North Americas, Africa, Oceania, India + rest of Asia, Mexico): {sub/678829} - a region locked key that can be activated anywhere apart from RU/CIS, SEA (including China; China can NOT activate it), Europe, LATAM, Turkey

Looks really good this game, not played a game like this since civ 6 but used to enjoy the old civilisations.
Pitty it's not coming to console too, I have some friends without PC but they would love to play this.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The graphics look nice and it looks like they have some good ideas but it's so easy to screw this up. See: Humankind.

Reactions: GHG

DaGwaphics

If that's the aspect you're looking forward to most then give ozymandias a go, although it's a much more simple take on the formula with the idea that games can be completed in a lot less time than your usual 4x game.

I have a spare key for it if you want because humble botched the region they gave me intially?

Well, if you are itching to get an extra key off your hands, I'd be happy to assist with that (I'm in the US). :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:
As someone who loves all types of civ style and 4x games, this is a def buy from me, as long as its plays decent.
More like this. Civ6 has been out now for what 6-7 years and not a new one in sight.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Shit. This looks good. I'm going to try out the GOG demo this weekend. Its seems to be more like a quick and dirty board game which I like playing on PC, GOG has it for 40% off now too sale ending I think Sunday. $10 CDN. If it's good I'll grab it. Never heard of this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

StueyDuck

This was a show winner for me.

Can't wait to try this. Feels like civs been needing a decent competitor, sure there's games like humanity and so on but we need something to take civs crown.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This was a show winner for me.

Can't wait to try this. Feels like civs been needing a decent competitor, sure there's games like humanity and so on but we need something to take civs crown.
Have you tried Old World? It's a pretty good game, interesting ideas, but it came out as Epic exclusive for a year and I really think it killed the game popularity-wise.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

Might be cool. I started playing Endless Space 2 again, after months away from the game, so I wouldn't mind getting into another 4X game later down the line, as much as I have to be "in the mood" to play these games.

The graphics look nice and it looks like they have some good ideas but it's so easy to screw this up. See: Humankind.

What happened with Humankind? I know this was also from Amplitude Studios, and the game had some hype behind it, but I've barely heard any real praise for the game (or anything about the game) since its release.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Xbox ports of the last couple of Age of Empire games had full keyboard + mouse support, I expect this one will have it as well.

My shitty laptop ain't playing this, so that'll probably be the best way for me to try this.

Top Bottom