• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arby's Testing Duck Sandwiches

iconmaster

Banned
Oh, is it that time of year again?

qTpo0MB.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Fast food duck can be okay. My girlfriend always gets duck and hoisin pancakes when we get Chinese, they're pretty good.

Duck is delicious.

It sure is, one of the tastiest meats out there, I'm sure it has something to do with their oil glands.

Anyway, I'm real impressed with how much Arby's has stepped up their game in recent times, I was never an Arby's hater but I rarely ate there, however they're now one of the best fast food chains out there.

I heard they got bought by a different parent company so that would explain it.

lil puff

Duck is one of the hardest things I've found to make properly. I find I have to leave it pink in the middle, while still trying to sear that fat skin down.

With all the poultry scares out there, this seems like an odd choice, and not something I would choose on a fast food menu.

But I do agree with John above. Arby's has been getting some good menu items, they are one of the best out there, imo. They used to be trash when I was growing up.

BANGS

Banned
I love duck. Wish it was more mainstream around here. Has anyone ever tried goose? Is it comparable?

lil puff

I love duck. Wish it was more mainstream around here. Has anyone ever tried goose? Is it comparable?
I don't know about goose, but I know that pigeon and certain other foul and more beef/steak like in color and texture. Nothing like white meat poultry.

iconmaster

Banned
Arby's traditional gyro (with the real lamb+beef gyro meat) is excellent. I'll likely give the duck a shot if it goes nationwide.

lil puff

Arby's traditional gyro (with the real lamb+beef gyro meat) is excellent. I'll likely give the duck a shot if it goes nationwide.
I actually may get that gyro today, now that you mention it! The fries are only ok, though.

In the US, do these specialty fast food items ever catch on? I know in other parts of the world, they do.

WaterAstro

Duck is great. Chinese cuisine has them a lot. Go for a roast duck.

I don't know about anything from Arby's though.
My family got goose instead of duck one time, and it was not good. Definitely a lot tougher and closer to turkey.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I don't know about goose, but I know that pigeon and certain other foul and more beef/steak like in color and texture. Nothing like white meat poultry.
Intersting. I only ask because there are so many fucking geese here I'd love to see people start eating them...

My family got goose instead of duck one time, and it was not good. Definitely a lot tougher and closer to turkey.
Well that's a shame...

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
It sure is, one of the tastiest meats out there, I'm sure it has something to do with their oil glands.

I think it has a lot more to do with the fat. Can get rid of most of that if you get rid of the skin before cooking but then it won't taste near as good.

Catphish

I'd like to murderize these fucking Canadian geese leaving green landmines all over the goddamned sidewalks. How do they taste in burger form?

Gander

Banned
I tell you what, that Arby's gyro is the truth. Best Gyro I've ever had and I've been to Greek restaurants.

JCK75

I tell you what, that Arby's gyro is the truth. Best Gyro I've ever had and I've been to Greek restaurants.

I've had it maybe 5 times, and seriously not until yesterday did anyone mention that "Greek" was an option.. I'd been getting beef thinking they only offered beef or chicken.. once I had actual lamb, It was so much better and I now agree with you.

Yes! That gyro is one thing I've tried not long ago and it's fantastic, while I don't think it's lamb, just beef seasoned in a very Greek way, it's still a fantastic gyro.

It's not the best I've had, like I said I don't think it's real lamb, but it's damn good nevertheless.

Liljagare

Duck is one of the hardest things I've found to make properly. I find I have to leave it pink in the middle, while still trying to sear that fat skin down.

With all the poultry scares out there, this seems like an odd choice, and not something I would choose on a fast food menu.

But I do agree with John above. Arby's has been getting some good menu items, they are one of the best out there, imo. They used to be trash when I was growing up.

I just sear it in a burning hot pan and finish in the oven, works well for rare-medium rare.

hecatomb

Banned
ya thats other reason why I don't want to eat duck, cause they are cool. Geese on the other hand can go fuck themselves.

TFGB

Here in the UK, duck has been rather popular since the 60s. You’ll see it as a meat/poultry option on many a restaurant or gastropub menu, and it’s a staple in every chinese restaurant/take away...my favourite being crispy shredded duck with pancakes and hoi-sin sauce.

Always start it off in a cold pan, the Ramsay way:

Many good restaurants and pubs here cook the roast potatoes in either duck or goose fat for our obligatory sunday roast. Divine, and especially popular at Xmas.

lil puff

Yesterday, I was going to get the gyro at Arbys, but then I saw the fried turkey sandwich.

They have a new sandwich every time I go there.

I left and had the serious shits.

Next time I will get the gyro :)

lil puff

If Arby changes or adds regular French fries, they may be the best fast food place out there.

their menu selection is crazy. And they are quick.

But I went and it was empty, sat in the corner and these damn tourists bypassed all the seats and brought their suitcase and shit right to the seat next to me. Why?

Cybrwzrd

Banned
If Arby changes or adds regular French fries, they may be the best fast food place out there.

their menu selection is crazy. And they are quick.

But I went and it was empty, sat in the corner and these damn tourists bypassed all the seats and brought their suitcase and shit right to the seat next to me. Why?

The sad thing is that Arbys had regular fries, and they were the best. Looks like a store in Atlanta will have the Duck tomorrow. May have to go try it.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

It's too bad we don't have that old mod around that use to clearly shill for fast food companies. He'd be all over this thread and we would have many more. "Brand eating" lol.

lil puff

It's too bad we don't have that old mod around that use to clearly shill for fast food companies. He'd be all over this thread and we would have many more. "Brand eating" lol.
I used to love that guys threads.

He was good to read right before lunch just to get the stomach acids moving.

XiaNyphr was his name?

Tygeezy

I used to love that guys threads.

He was good to read right before lunch just to get the stomach acids moving.

XiaNyphr was his name?
He was a douche, he banned me because I criticized a player on his favorite basketball team. It ended up being a perma because I was a junior member

The sad thing is that Arbys had regular fries, and they were the best. Looks like a store in Atlanta will the Duck tomorrow. May have to go try it.
oh wow thats 15 min from where i am, never eat at arby, but this makes me want to! love duck. and those H Jon Benjamin ads certainly convinced me that Arby's Has The Meats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom