• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii) Discussion Thread [JP date = 4th June]

Cow Mengde said:
Hmm, very interesting. Could be the best looking RPG on the Wii.

Not hard to do. :lol

But this really does look great! Colours, colours, colours! It looks great. A bit cliche perhaps, but still, there's so little of this on Wii that I don't care.

Delio

Yeah really looking forward to this. I cant wait for a actual video of the combat just to see how it really works.

Jiggy

If ever there was a case for my steadfast position that every game that lasts longer than three hours and uses 3D models unequivocally and unanimously needs to implement alternate outfits, this would be it. D: Normally I want my beloved alternates as a bonus so that I can appreciate my characters even more (precisely because they become "my" characters since I'm the one customizing them), but here they're needed just to salvage these designs in the first place.

Anyway, we'll see how this turns out gameplay-wise.

Jiggy37 said:
If ever there was a case for my steadfast position that every game that lasts longer than three hours and uses 3D models unequivocally and unanimously needs to implement alternate outfits, this would be it. D: Normally I want my beloved alternates as a bonus so that I can appreciate my characters even more (precisely because they become "my" characters since I'm the one customizing them), but here they're needed just to salvage these designs in the first place.

Anyway, we'll see how this turns out gameplay-wise.

I really don't get the character design hate.
I mean, sure they aren't the most original, but they certainly aren't bad.
And they have that awesome Eureka 7 look.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
AceBandage said:

Agreed.

And for me at least there have been a number of games where I didnt care for the character designs at all but once I played the game and got to know their personalities and the game's story their designs began to make sense and fit the game and I grew to actually like it.

VerTiGo

Banned
Case said:
Wasn't Red Steel the first 3rd party game announced?

No. Before it was even revealed, the controller, Super Smash Bros. and Crystal Chronicles were the first two games officially announced by Iwata.

Deku

Banned
Looks like what a game built on the Final Fantasy XI engine might look like on the Wii.

But I must say the animu character portraits kind of kills the otherwise good art direction.

Twig

Banned
AceBandage said:
I'm a huge fan of the designs.

(And of Eureka 7! <3)

king zell

c_l1214678465_0.jpg

c_l1214678465_1.jpg

c_l1214678465_10.jpg

c_l1214678465_11.jpg

c_l1214678465_6.jpg

The last screen makes it seem like cut-scenes would look really stilted and awkward in motion (as the developer mentioned), but apart from that it really does look beautiful.

_Alkaline_ said:
The last screen makes it seem like cut-scenes would look really stilted and awkward in motion (as the developer mentioned), but apart from that it really does look beautiful.

Hopefully they'll give it time to smooth the animations out, like they say.

Olaeh

Wow those screens look so good. If this never gets localized I think I'll import, and thats a lot for an RPG! it just looks so nice.

duckroll

Olaeh said:
Wow those screens look so good. If this never gets localized I think I'll import, and thats a lot for an RPG! it just looks so nice.

What's the import solution for the Wii at the moment? And is that solution expected to last by the time this game is out, say by the end of this year?

later

duckroll said:
What's the import solution for the Wii at the moment? And is that solution expected to last by the time this game is out, say by the end of this year?

Mod it if you want it to last.

fresquito

This game came out of nowhere and looks really hot. I dig the art style, specially thanks to the color use. Character's eyes need some life though.

JaMarco

fresquito said:
This game came out of nowhere and looks really hot. I dig the art style, specially thanks to the color use. Character's eyes need some life though.
The dev team said they were working hard on the character emotion in the cutscenes.

fresquito

Case said:
The dev team said they were working hard on the character emotion in the cutscenes.
I'm just judging by the pics here, so I cannot tell, but from them, it seems like they all are looking with the same expression.

Twig

Banned
fresquito said:
I'm just judging by the pics here, so I cannot tell, but from them, it seems like they all are looking with the same expression.
What he meant was the devs have yet to create the facial expressions. AFAIK, they currently have none at all except what you see.

batbeg

duckroll said:

Depends. Freeloader has already been locked out, but if you have no desire to update the Wii (and why would you, really? They never give you anything cool) then you can just keep using the Freeloader to bypass on-disc updates. Then there's also the homebrew solution, which will probably always beat Nintendo's updates.

Of course, I'm pretty optimistic this will make it over. It seems like a lot of work has gone into it and I'd be surprised if xseed passed it up.

Olaeh

duckroll said:

My solution has usually been to buy a second, JP console. But I assume most would do what batbeg said.

duckroll

Olaeh said:
My solution has usually been to buy a second, JP console. But I assume most would do what batbeg said.

Both solutions don't sound too hot for me at the moment. I hope by the time I absolutely MUST get a Wii, there's a better region solution. It's kinda annoying because it'll likely be a console that the family shares, and they'll need games that are in English. But there are also several Japanese games on my radar that aren't out yet that I'll definitely like to play. Ugh. :/

JaMarco

king zell said:
Looking at these two screenshots, I don't really get how the turn order works. The character thats attacking doesn't coincide with the card directly on the left or right side of the turn order line/

Case said:
Looking at these two screenshots, I don't really get how the turn order works. The character thats attacking doesn't coincide with the card directly on the left or right side of the turn order line/
Pink girl is currently attacking and thus not shown in turn order > monster B > Pink girl > monster A

... I believe.

Desi

Mefisutoferesu said:
Pink girl is currently attacking and thus not shown in turn order > monster B > Pink girl > monster A

... I believe.
But brown haired red jacket boy is swinging while being number 2 in the turn order (no matter which character is number 1).

Desi said:
But brown haired red jacket boy is swinging while being number 2 in the turn order (no matter which character is number 1).
brown boy is currently attacking and thus not shown in turn order > blond boy > monster is dieing and being removed from turn order > brown boy's next turn > purple girl

... I'm gonna use names next time...

Meesh

a girl named Ryphia, a naive and reserved girl who has secrets in her past

MoxManiac said:
Wow, that's like never been done in a JRPG before!

Every time I read that name I think Rydia, FF4's jaded youth with mysterious past/summoner and so on and so forth...

Top Bottom