• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Archives PS4 |OT|Winners Don’t Use Save States

Rymuth

cF5lZnj.png

It has come to my attention that people are unaware of this treasure trove of arcade titles, so I’ve decided to rectify this situation immediately!
Arcade Archives (アーケードアーカイブス) is a series of emulated Arcade machine game titles from the 1980s and 1990s for Sony's PlayStation 4 console published by Hamster Corporation.

Arcade Archives faithfully reproduces classic arcade games for the PS4. It also supports PS4 system features. Players can share screenshots and video with the SHARE feature, and compete with others in score for online ranking.

TkyxtaV.jpg

*in release order

RYGAR
Action | Players 1-2
Tecmo
Store | Gameplay Trailer
MAT MANIA EXCITING HOUR
Action | Players 1-2
Technos Japan
Store | Gameplay Trailer
City CONNECTION
Action | Players 1-2
JALECO
Store | Gameplay Trailer
DOUBLE DRAGON
Action | Players 1-2
Technos Japan
Store | Gameplay Trailer

TERRA CRESTA
Shoot 'em up | Players 1-2
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer

CRAZY CLIMBER
Action | Players 1-2
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Ninja-Kid
Action | Players 1-2
UPL
Store | Gameplay Trailer

MOON CRESTA
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Renegade
Action | Players 1-2
Technos Japan
Store | Gameplay Trailer

GRADIUS
KONAMI
Store | Gameplay Trailer
NOVA2001
UPL
Store | Gameplay Trailer

RAIDERS5
Puzzle | Players 1-2
UPL
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Scramble
KONAMI
Store | Gameplay Trailer

EXERION
JALECO
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Buta san
Action | Players 1-2
JALECO
Store | Gameplay Trailer
MAGMAX
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer

BOMB JACK
Action | Players 1-2
Tehkan
Store | Gameplay Trailer

A-JAX
Shoot 'em up |Players 1-2
KONAMI
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Solomon's Key
Puzzle | Players 1-2
Tecmo
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Mr.GOEMON
Action | Players 1-2
KONAMI
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Karate Champ
Action | Players 1-2
Data East
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Shusse Ozumo
Sports | Players 1-2
Technos Japan
Store | Gameplay Trailer
CRAZY CLIMBER2
Action | Players 1-2
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Cosmo Police Galivan
Action | Players 1-2
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Ninja-Kid II
Action | Players 1-2
UPL
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Ikki
Action | Players 1-2
SUNSOFT
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Super Dodge Ball
Action | Players 1-2
Technos Japan
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Shanghai III
Puzzle | Players1-2
SUNSOFT
Store | Gameplay Trailer
THE LEGEND OF KAGE
Action | Players 1-2
TAITO
Store | Gameplay Trailer

TwinBee
KONAMI
Store | Gameplay Trailer

DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge
Action | Players 1-2
Technos Japan
Store | Gameplay Trailer

BUBBLE BOBBLE
Action | Players 1-2
TAITO
Store | Gameplay Trailer

LIFE FORCE
KONAMI
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Kid's Hore Hore Daisakusen
Action | Players 1-2
Nihchibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer

Armed F
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay Trailer
Gradius II
Konami
Store | Gameplay

MX5000
Konami
Store | Gameplay

Soldier Girl Amazon
Shoot'em up | Players 1-2
Nichibutsu
Store | Gameplay
Kiki Kaikai
Action | Players 1-2
TAITO
Store | Gameplay

Contra
Action | Players 1-2
Konami
Store | Gameplay

The King of Fighters '94
Fighting | Players 1-2
SNK
Store | Gameplay

0K7y0Ft.jpg

How did this come about?

In April ’14, Hamster partnered with Nippon-Ichi after the former acquired the rights for Nihon-Busan’s entire Arcade library to bring arcade classics to PS4.

Wait, did I read that right? New game per month?

Yes. Aside from one hiccup, Hamster Corp has been consistent in putting out new games every month

Okay, so what’s been updated?

You’ve got a slew of display options, online leaderboards, SHAREPlay and Save States.

Uhhh…I don’t see a credit slot anywhere

Press the Triangle to put in more credits. Place a piggybank next to you and put in a quarter every now and then for maximum immersion.

Are there trophies?

Yes.

Are there Platinum trophies

No

The game I want hasn't been released yet
You can try hitting them up on Twitter

Can I...can I use my arcade stick?

Yes!

Tizoc

Only other release I'm looking forward to is Darius; any early 90s arcade games being considered for release?

Maybesew

Thank you for this thread. I have yet to purchase one of these, but have been VERY close on multiple occasions. Does anyone know if they ever go on sale? I haven't seen any, but would love Rygar and Wrestling....and then Life Force...and then...

Tizoc

Thank you for this thread. I have yet to purchase one of these, but have been VERY close on multiple occasions. Does anyone know if they ever go on sale? I haven't seen any, but would love Rygar and Wrestling....and then Life Force...and then...

Salamader/Life Force released this week on US PSN, don't expect it to go on sale for months.
Consider grabbing it now anyway it is a good port an is 3 games in 1.

gwailo

Banned

They are on sale very rarely and it tends to be 1 or 2 titles.

Issue being the price of course. Especially simce people have been playing 100 times more of these already.

If they ever had hundreds of these and had them priced to where buying a few hundred of them were reasonable or a subscription to play all. I'd definitely consider it and likely do an arcade sub, ps1 and ps2 as well

StereoVsn

Issue being the price of course. Especially simce people have been playing 100 times more of these already.

If they ever had hundreds of these and had them priced to where buying a few hundred of them were reasonable or a subscription to play all. I'd definitely consider it and likely do an arcade sub, ps1 and ps2 as well
Yeah, $8 for each game seems too much. More reasonably priced collections would do better, IMO.

Andrefpvs

Thanks for this thread! I'll check back every month!

Any good game in particular I should keep in mind? I'm only familiar with about 5 of these. Is Super Dodge Ball good?

I find it weird why don't they also release these games on Vita as well as it would be nice fit. I'm guessing because people would be demanding cross-buy and the profit margins are low.

Yeah, $8 for each game seems too much. More reasonably priced collections would do better, IMO.
Yeah, I also have mame etc. I just can't fathom to bite on these

I would go for 3d games as long as they were scaled well for 1080p. But still want good prices and bundles. Sega racing, Capcom fighters.

These things always fail because of lack of implementation, missing games and prices. Xbox tried, SNK tried, sega had tried but with lack of games a decent bad pricing not sure what they expect. Need nice artwork, too end menus, most of the games to make it and pricing that makes buying 50 games affordable. buy two games at 10 each and people give up, or a dollar a piece? I'm sure more folks would buy more and spend more to have a nice collection in that situation. If probably buy them all instead of none currently

Tapejara

The only one of these I've ever seen go on sale was Crazy Climber, which is why I bought it lol. I also picked up Rygar but only played enough to get all of the trophies.

What are some of the best shmups? I know Gradius is well regarded so that's on my buy list, anything else?

FSLink

Banned
How's the emulation quality? I would pick a few of these up but I can't find any information on how accurate the emulation is. No "well it seems good enough" replies please.

Rymuth

I need to check out some of these.

Is there a list of upcoming titles?
- Darius
- Elevator Action
- Flak Attack
- Front Line
- Gradius II
- Kid's Horehore Daisakusen
- Kiki Kaikai
- The Ninja Warriors
- Soldier Girl Amazon
- Star Force
- Wonder Boy
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land

orborborb

I've picked up A-Jax, Terra Cresta, Solomon's Key, Rygar, Bubble Bobble, Gradius, and Life Force.

I've played these all on MAME and the audio seemed maybe a bit better in these versions but otherwise didn't notice any differences. Input lag was an issue with Gradius and Life Force on a ~2-3 frame lag TV but the other games were playable. On my very low lag monitor Gradius and Life Force were playable.

Psxphile

Neat! But why am I seeing slowdown in titles like Gradius and Life Force? Is that supposed to be arcade-accurate?

Might want to fix the Double Dragon gameplay trailer, it links DDII instead of the first.

I feel that Sony is missing a trick not creating a sub service for these games. Ill happily pay £5 a month for unlimted access to all Arcade archive titles, but you can fuck right off with £7.99 each.

Agent X

There are some good games in the mix, but $8 each is too much to ask, in my book. That's the only reason I haven't purchased any of them yet. If they were selling for about half of that price, then I would probably buy several.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
FYI: Exciting Hour is the first really good wrestling video game.

JP

I have a couple of these already, didn't realise that TwinBee was also available. I do wish that they have an option to store them as a single Arcade Archives collection in which you just select the games you want,

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
- Darius
- Elevator Action
- Flak Attack
- Front Line
- Gradius II
- Kiki Kaikai
- The Ninja Warriors
- Soldier Girl Amazon
- Star Force
- Wonder Boy
Nice. I'mma buy the fuck out Darius and The Ninja Warriors.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
- Darius
- Elevator Action
- Flak Attack
- Front Line
- Gradius II
- Kiki Kaikai
- The Ninja Warriors
- Soldier Girl Amazon
- Star Force
- Wonder Boy

Oh nice! Ninja Warriors and Elevator Action work for me! I'm going to have to buy some PSN cards.

It's weird how Microsoft couldn't get anywhere with their attempt at an arcade, while Sony's archive collection is picking up some classics. I'm guessing it's the premium asking price?

I have a couple of these already, didn't realise that TwinBee was also available. I do wish that they have an option to store them as a single Arcade Archives collection in which you just select the games you want,

I wish they'd so this as well, or at least give the portion to group them under one icon (although that would basically mean folders are implemented, even better!).

Looking forward to Star Force though!

FYI: Exciting Hour is the first really good wrestling video game.
Totally. Such a great game.

Keep a look out for Starforce as well. That game is brilliant. The quintessential old school vertical shooter.

As for the poster who said about slowdown in Gradius and Salamander / Lifeforce. Pretty sure the original arcade versions had it. I can remember them doing it.

I wish they'd so this as well, or at least give the portion to group them under one icon (although that would basically mean folders are implemented, even better!).

Looking forward to Star Force though!

Heh, high five for the Starforce mention, dude.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I feel that Sony is missing a trick not creating a sub service for these games. Ill happily pay £5 a month for unlimted access to all Arcade archive titles, but you can fuck right off with £7.99 each.

Are they really £7.99? They are all €6.99, so £7.99 would be one hell of a conversion.

Ktg1973

Banned
I've realized that Kid's Horehore Daisakusen was Doraemon on the Pc Engine. Same game, with different sprites.

antitrop

Just picked up Life Force. The slowdown is incredible and the digitized voice samples are hilariously bad. "Kidney stones cannot be destroyed!" had me rolling.

Anyway, I hope they get R-Type up there. That was my favorite childhood shmup.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just picked up Life Force. The slowdown is incredible and the digitized voice samples are hilariously bad. "Kidney stones cannot be destroyed!" had me rolling.

Anyway, I hope they get R-Type up there. That was my favorite childhood shmup.

So many memories of that game as a kid, lol. I need to pick it up again. Ditto on R-Type.

Knuf

This OT was so much needed and way overdue, thank you so much for doing it, Rymuth!
OP would be even better if it listed what games are actually available in EU, too, since not every game in OP is out here yet (Bomb Jack, Solomon's Key and Rygar, where are you?!). ;_;
And ofc thanks to Hamster for porting all these amazing games!

Top Bottom