• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade1up Announce New Arcade Cabinets (including NBA Jam and Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder)

Kazza

Retro arcade cabinet maker Arcade1up introduced several new cabinets at CES 2020, including NBA Jam, a sit-down Star Wars, special edition Burger Time, as well as a partnership with Zen Studios for 3/4 scale digital pinball machines.

The NBA Jam cabinet features online functionality "allowing users to play with other Arcade1Up cabinets in drop-in style games" in North America and features NBA Jam, NBA Jam Tournament Edition, and NBA Hang Time.According to Arcade1up, its pinball partnership with Zen Studios "includes titles from Bally/Williams and other yet to be announced, big names in the pinball space." The new Burger Time cabinet also includes arcade classics Karate Champ, Bad Dudes, and Caveman Ninja, and features art from Burger Time, as well as a light-up marquee, special edition riser, and "rounded side panels" to keep it "true to the original."

Also unveiled are a sit-down style Star Wars cabinet, a new Frogger cabinet and a SEGA Golden Axe cabinet featuring five games: Golden Axe, Shinobi, Altered Beast, Wrestle Wars, and Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder.

The Burger Time special edition cabinet can be preordered now from the Arcade1up site, with a promised ship date of March 1.

To anyone who knows me on here, it'll come as now surprise that it's the Sega cabinet that excites me the most - finally, a home "port" of Revenge of Death Adder. $399 is a little too much for me, but hopefully this means the game hasn't been completely forgotten and that a Sega ages port is possible. Wrestle Wars was a fun game on the Megadive, so I'm sure the arcade game is fun too. It's also great to see NBA Jam again.

This is the one available for pre-order right now (can't see any release dates for the other cabinets):

cab-burgertime_01_600x.png

Has anybody here ever bought one of these?

Last edited:

Dthomp

NBA JAM!!!??? Crap I might need that.

As far as your other question, I just got a TMNT one at a local Walmart for $250 and while that's about 50 bucks higher then I'd have liked to pay, I can't lie I like it alot. Looks nice, and doesn't hurt that TMNT The Arcade game and Turtles in Time are two of my favs of all time. Quality has gotten much better with these over the years I have read. I'm not sure they are worth the 300-450 that some of them launch at, price will always very per game and per person buying. I am still waiting for a sub 150 price on SF, MK and Final Fight and I'd buy any of those.

I will say though, unless you want to sit in a chair either make sure they come with a riser or that you purchase one cause they small without it.

Kazza

This reminds me of the Aliens vs Predator situation - another much loved arcade classic that is currently only officially available via expensive hardware (that Capcom double arcade stick, in this instance). Oh well, better than nothing.

I have Arcade 1Up's Mortal Kombat II, Asteroids and Star Wars. I'd probably have more if I have the room. They are also bringing 2 virtual pinball tables out from Zen studios using their Star Wars tables and the Universal Studios tables as well as a new Pac Man cabinet for the 40th anniversary. Unannounced were the Marvel vs Capcom and Big Buck Hunter cabinets. But, they say those aren't a done deal yet.
KIz7STG.jpg

C1eNBVk.jpg

Last edited:

DiscoJer

AT Games makes a full size one with 100s of games

It's $500 though, but considering it offers more than a handful of games. it's perhaps worth it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pretty cool, but I'm waiting for the (inevitable) candy cab repros, which can already kinda-sorta be obtained through various d.i.y online shops. IMO the only reason to buy one of these would be to gut it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Pretty cool, but I'm waiting for the (inevitable) candy cab repros, which can already kinda-sorta be obtained through various d.i.y online shops. IMO the only reason to buy one of these would be to gut it.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Would be cool to buy a cabinet (particularly since I don't want some used one that's been defecated on) to use with actual arcade hardware. Not sure what the quality of these is, but might have good enough bones to use for that.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Would be cool to buy a cabinet (particularly since I don't want some used one that's been defecated on) to use with actual arcade hardware. Not sure what the quality of these is, but might have good enough bones to use for that.
Build quality is getting better with each wave. Asteroids was a launch product and feels really cheap, second wave Mortal Kombat was a marked step up in Quality. Star Wars, the newest release is even a step up from MK. So, each wave they learn what needs fixing and they actually listen to their customer's feedback

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I thought I read that the NBA JAM cabinet would be online.

If they start making pinball machines at an affordable price I'm going to start driving lyft/uber.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Actually, back to the product at hand... how the hell are they offering NBA Jam? Wouldn't the licenses for that basically make it impossible, or at the very least, extremely fucking expensive? Wondering if they bowdlerized the ROM they're using for it.

bronk

Banned
To anyone who knows me on here, it'll come as now surprise that it's the Sega cabinet that excites me the most - finally, a home "port" of Revenge of Death Adder. $399 is a little too much for me, but hopefully this means the game hasn't been completely forgotten and that a Sega ages port is possible. Wrestle Wars was a fun game on the Megadive, so I'm sure the arcade game is fun too. It's also great to see NBA Jam again.

This is the one available for pre-order right now (can't see any release dates for the other cabinets):

cab-burgertime_01_600x.png

Has anybody here ever bought one of these?
I grabbed a Street Fighter one for dirt cheap and put a pi in it and changed all buttons and sticks. Its cool for what it is.

NT80

Why has Revenge of Death Adder always been neglected by Sega. I thought they lost the source code to that game along with a bunch of others or something.

I have the rampage one and put a raspberry pi in there. I have some real arcade cabinets too, and I think these are great, you gotta realize it is a fraction of the price of a real cabinet so don't expect even half the quality, for example they use a mono speaker instead of stereo, but if you are casually playing some classics with the kids its fine.

Cravis

These are so cool to me that they keep making different cabinets. Unfortunately every time I about convince myself to get one the size kills it for me. I’ve got a full size MAME cabinet so these would look out of place next to it.

Excited about Big Buck Hunter only because it shows they’ve got light guns working. They’re already in with Sega. Now give me a House of the Dead collection. Give me a Midway collection with Area 51, Maximum Force, and Carnevil.

The big news for me is the virtual pinball tables. I plan to get the attack from Mars one, gut it, and add my own hardware to run Virtual Pinball through MAME.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They’re already in with Sega. Now give me a House of the Dead collection. Give me a Midway collection with Area 51, Maximum Force, and Carnevil
giphy.gif

Area 51 is one of the lightgun games I played so exhaustively that I can 1cc it without much effort. There was a certain sports complex in my area that had a cabinet and I would play it after basketball practice.

I'd also take some Point Blank, please and thank you (license should be dirt-cheap)

Dural

The big news for me is the virtual pinball tables. I plan to get the attack from Mars one, gut it, and add my own hardware to run Virtual Pinball through MAME.

Yep, I've wanted to build a virtual pinball machine since I first saw one. Have they announced pricing for them yet?

demigod

Youtubers leaked that they might have Marvel Vs Capcom but I haven't seen it yet. These things are pricey but I've seen them on sale from time to time, i'd probably just wait for Black Friday deals on them if I want one(looking at you MvsC).

Reon

I've heard the quality of these is low? Is that true?
It's not great, they're pretty small and mostly made of plastic. Pretty lightweight too. That said I don't see them having any technical issues, the hardware seems solid for what it is.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Excited about Big Buck Hunter only because it shows they’ve got light guns working
But until shown we don't know what system they got, it could be something dodgy like AimTrak/Wii/GunCon3. Hopefully they've taken this to the next level, as SEGA's later LCD lightgun arcade games used that concept but had many more finely tuned infrared points of reference and worked well.

Maybe they'll announce a partnership with Sinden lightgun (or just steal the idea or something, idk how viable that is) instead and make it work well like that one promises (by virtue of tracking a border around the game enabling you to move in 3D space without losing accuracy like real lightguns).

Last edited:
Arcade 1Up also announced new Coleco style table top games. And micro consoles like Atari 2600, Colecovision. Including a mini TV too. Pretty much novelty items but man, these are pretty cool. Sorry for the poor quality photos, they are all I could find.

Tiamat2san

Curious about the pinball machines.
Seems weird.

If one day they make a vampire savoir one, direct purchase on my end.

Can you add games?

Vitacat

That digital Star Wars Pinball will be mine for anything less that $800.
They said probably between $500 - $600 range.

There was also talk of adding an accelerometer so you can nudge it like a real table, but it depends on price point. Personally I'd rather pay an extra $100 and get a superior product out of the box. The ones on display already had force feedback to increase the realism when flippers flip and the ball hits things etc. so it would be awesome if it also had some motion sensing to get as much immersion as possible.

I'd also like to see the plunger button replaced with an actual plunger. That can't be that expensive to do...?

They did confirm that the pinball tables are WiFi enabled and have built in solenoid's for haptic feedback and accelerometers.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
They did confirm that the pinball tables are WiFi enabled and have built in solenoid's for haptic feedback and accelerometers.

They said probably between $500 - $600 range.

There was also talk of adding an accelerometer so you can nudge it like a real table, but it depends on price point. Personally I'd rather pay an extra $100 and get a superior product out of the box. The ones on display already had force feedback to increase the realism when flippers flip and the ball hits things etc. so it would be awesome if it also had some motion sensing to get as much immersion as possible.

I'd also like to see the plunger button replaced with an actual plunger. That can't be that expensive to do...?

And that boys and girls equals a purchase.

Top Bottom